Watches

jack D and coke

13 hours ago, Suso Santana said:

What i like about watches it that you can watch them. 

I mean, you can spend loads of money on them, put them on your wrist and tell the time. 

It's unbelievable. 

Some folk just look at their phone to get the time but **** that. 

Shame Victorian isn't around to answer this post 🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣

• Replies 2.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Victorian

• Sten Guns

• cosanostra

• Tazio

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

1 hour ago, Bull's-eye said:

Shame Victorian isn't around to answer this post 🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣

It doesn't really deserve a sensible answer. Trolls shouldn't really be fed.

Edited by IronJambo

• 1 month later...

Does anybody have any suggestions on where to send a watch for service/repair. Just my Seiko kinetic has started to jump two seconds and hasnt been keeping time today after wearing it all day.

1 minute ago, jamb0_1874 said:

Does anybody have any suggestions on where to send a watch for service/repair. Just my Seiko kinetic has started to jump two seconds and hasnt been keeping time today after wearing it all day.

If it’s jumping 2 seconds it means the battery need a good charge. Seeking and Citizen watches both have this as a feature to let you know it’s running down. I’ve got a Citizen Eco-Drive that does this and an old non kinetic Seiko Chronograph. 

The kinetic energy of movement is actually stored in a capacitor rather than an energy cell.    Tazio is right that the 2 second movement is a low power indicator.    It can take quite a bit of movement before the charge builds up enough for it to return to normal.    

Not sure why it would begin to lose or gain time.    The capacitors don't last indefinitely and require to be replaced.    But I doubt the timekeeping is related to the capacitor.

If it's losing time,   the other possibility is that it is intermittently stopping via an intermittent fault caused by movement.    Going open circuit temporarily in some way?   Something very slightly loose?

I think the capacitor is done, if I shake it for a couple of minutes the second hand sweeps as normal, however when you put it back on your wrist after a few minutes it goes back to the two second jump.

been here before
40 minutes ago, jamb0_1874 said:

Seiko have their own service and repairs dept but beware they are not cheap. I had a kinetic for about 15 years which stopped working and sent it to them. The price they quoted was almost £200- way more than the watch was worth. Their kinetic watches only have a lifespan of 15-20 years.

I hummed and hawed and went for it for sentimental reasons and a bit against my better judgement. Turns out they never had the parts to fix it and didnt know when they would get them- the part they never had was the movement. It had been discontinued and the watch was returned in a worse state than it was sent to them- apparently some supporting leg in the movement got broken in transit. Ill post a pic when I get a chance. 

I emailed them to complain and was offered money off a new Seiko which I dingied. I then got another email saying they had found a movement in an old demonstration model which was 20 years old and thus near the end of its life but could have that for the same 200 sheets!!

Seikos customer service is shite, as is their online facility once they have your watch. My advice would be that unless your sentimental or attached to your Seiko watch then leave it and put the money toward something else.

been here before

This how Seiko returned my watch. Now Im no horologist, probably never likely to be but this is doesnt look quite right...

20200406_200402.jpg

7 minutes ago, been here before said:

Seiko have their own service and repairs dept but beware they are not cheap. I had a kinetic for about 15 years which stopped working and sent it to them. The price they quoted was almost £200- way more than the watch was worth. Their kinetic watches only have a lifespan of 15-20 years.

I hummed and hawed and went for it for sentimental reasons and a bit against my better judgement. Turns out they never had the parts to fix it and didnt know when they would get them- the part they never had was the movement. It had been discontinued and the watch was returned in a worse state than it was sent to them- apparently some supporting leg in the movement got broken in transit. Ill post a pic when I get a chance. 

I emailed them to complain and was offered money off a new Seiko which I dingied. I then got another email saying they had found a movement in an old demonstration model which was 20 years old and thus near the end of its life but could have that for the same 200 sheets!!

Seikos customer service is shite, as is their online facility once they have your watch. My advice would be that unless your sentimental or attached to your Seiko watch then leave it and put the money toward something else.

Ok so it doesnt sound like the seiko service department is the route to go down... I get what you are saying about weighing up whether its worth it or not. I will have a look and see if any independents would look at it and how much they would charge while also looking to see what i can put up on the cheap as an alternative / replacement.

8 minutes ago, been here before said:

This how Seiko returned my watch. Now Im no horologist, probably never likely to be but this is doesnt look quite right...

20200406_200402.jpg

Yeah I can understand why you are a bit annoyed. Thats unbelievable.

17 minutes ago, been here before said:

20200406_200402.jpg

Try www.creativewatch.co.uk 

I contacted them through their website regarding replacing battery and pressure testing my Rotary and G Shock. 

Mr Minit quoted me £80 each. 

These guys were £35 and £40 respectively, plus £7 PandP. 

Nothing to lose by contacting them, website easy and free to use for quotes. 

11 minutes ago, muldoon74 said:

Try www.creativewatch.co.uk 

I contacted them through their website regarding replacing battery and pressure testing my Rotary and G Shock. 

Mr Minit quoted me £80 each. 

These guys were £35 and £40 respectively, plus £7 PandP. 

Nothing to lose by contacting them, website easy and free to use for quotes. 

Cheers

annushorribilis III
2 hours ago, jamb0_1874 said:

I think the capacitor is done, if I shake it for a couple of minutes the second hand sweeps as normal, however when you put it back on your wrist after a few minutes it goes back to the two second jump.

https://www.watchrepairlessons.com/2011/06/06/seiko-kinetic-jumping-two-seconds-at-a-time/

2 hours ago, Tazio said:

Vacheron Constantin would charge your £40k for that look.

A3EC505C-A8AC-459C-BF4B-16A138A37F9F.png

So annoying.. 

If that was the correct, normal way people expect it to be that would be a lovely watch.. 

Instead someone in the design department got pissed and presented this as a joke and they whacked 40K onto it.. Although I like the position of the crown.. Because I like to wear my watches a bit loose, I find the crown can dig into my wrist... This design sorts that... 

Actually like the way it's still 10 to 2... (for the smiley face effect..)…. Still overpricing wankers though. 

Also black face, white numerals.. that would get my plums pumping... 

dobmisterdobster
2 hours ago, Tazio said:

Vacheron Constantin would charge your £40k for that look.

A3EC505C-A8AC-459C-BF4B-16A138A37F9F.png

24 minutes ago, muldoon74 said:

So annoying.. 

If that was the correct, normal way people expect it to be that would be a lovely watch.. 

Instead someone in the design department got pissed and presented this as a joke and they whacked 40K onto it.. Although I like the position of the crown.. Because I like to wear my watches a bit loose, I find the crown can dig into my wrist... This design sorts that... 

Actually like the way it's still 10 to 2... (for the smiley face effect..)…. Still overpricing wankers though. 

Also black face, white numerals.. that would get my plums pumping... 

The dial is on an angle so you can still read it while operating a car steering wheel. The design goes back to 1921.

19 minutes ago, dobmisterdobster said:

The dial is on an angle so you can still read it while operating a car steering wheel. The design goes back to 1921.

OK I see your point there.. 

If theres logic behind a quirk then cool...

Although is that right or left handed people? 

Forget that, looks like its for people who wear a watch on their left. ;) 

I love wee snippets of history like that...

Hugh Phamism
13 hours ago, dobmisterdobster said:

Copied by Omologato, who make watches based on motorsport. This is the Laguna Seca model.

584s-ver-1.jpg

Edited by Hugh Phamism

It's not really a quirk I like.

I do admire the old Omega Chronostop though, which was also offered with a driver's style 90 degree rotation.

cOOEnzl.jpg

21 hours ago, dobmisterdobster said:

Maybe am weird but I wear my watch on my left wrist so am not sure it would work for me.

6 minutes ago, jamb0_1874 said:

Maybe am weird but I wear my watch on my left wrist so am not sure it would work for me.

Imagine your arm position whilst driving.   Then rotate your wrist to the right.

Ricardo Shillyshally

So, bored out my tits, I'm watching you tube videos about watches. So far I've learned that the Dali Lama owns a Rolex and Patek Phillipe.

Edited by Ricardo Shillyshally

3 minutes ago, Ricardo Shillyshally said:

So, bored out my tits, I'm watching you tube videos about watches. So far I've learned that the Dali Lama owns a Rolex and Patek Phillipe.

If I had a Patek I would swap it for a vaccine.    Bet he would too.

Ricardo Shillyshally
Just now, Victorian said:

If I had a Patek I would swap it for a vaccine.    Bet he would too.

He may very well do, the auld sponger got it as a gift from JFK 😁

2 minutes ago, Ricardo Shillyshally said:

He may very well do, the auld sponger got it as a gift from JFK 😁

Christ can you imagine what that's worth?    I would still swapsy.

19 minutes ago, Ricardo Shillyshally said:

A very rare Patek even without the history if I remember rightly. 

13 hours ago, Space Pirate said:

You know it's bad when you're watching youtube videos of watches 😂

Ummmm.....

Am still debating with myself if I should repair my watch which will probably cost £100 or just buy a new one for say £100/£150. I could get another seiko for that kind of price is there any other brands that I should be looking out for or avoiding. Festina for example?

annushorribilis III
1 hour ago, jamb0_1874 said:

Am still debating with myself if I should repair my watch which will probably cost £100 or just buy a new one for say £100/£150. I could get another seiko for that kind of price is there any other brands that I should be looking out for or avoiding. Festina for example?

I had a couple of Festina watches over the years and they make good looking pieces.

Casio Edifice are also nice pieces. 

Plenty of good deals available on ebay now. 

One brand I have been watching a lot recently is Lillienthal of Germany. They make some beautiful pieces but might be out of your price range - even with the current discount. 

28 minutes ago, annushorribilis III said:

I had a couple of Festina watches over the years and they make good looking pieces.

Casio Edifice are also nice pieces. 

Plenty of good deals available on ebay now. 

One brand I have been watching a lot recently is Lillienthal of Germany. They make some beautiful pieces but might be out of your price range - even with the current discount. 

Thank you I'll have a look

16 hours ago, jamb0_1874 said:

Thank you I'll have a look

Had a wee look at festina, this jumped out straightaway. At £161 a bit much for me atm (especially for a brand I've not heard of until this thread.) still a nice piece and quite understated by festina standards going by some of their others... 

Screenshot_20200414_113555_com.android.chrome.jpg

been here before
31 minutes ago, muldoon74 said:

Had a wee look at festina, this jumped out straightaway. At £161 a bit much for me atm (especially for a brand I've not heard of until this thread.) still a nice piece and quite understated by festina standards going by some of their others... 

Screenshot_20200414_113555_com.android.chrome.jpg

If you've a budget in mind then like most things in life I suppose, work out what you really need. The less you need, the less you'll pay or the better quality you might get for your money.

That one above has a date complication along with a tachymeter, chronograph and a 10 bar (100m) water resistance. Do you need all that or are you just looking for something to tell the time?

Everyones different but all I ever look for is the time and date.

30 minutes ago, been here before said:

If you've a budget in mind then like most things in life I suppose, work out what you really need. The less you need, the less you'll pay or the better quality you might get for your money.

That one above has a date complication along with a tachymeter, chronograph and a 10 bar (100m) water resistance. Do you need all that or are you just looking for something to tell the time?

Everyones different but all I ever look for is the time and date.

It jumped out because I like the design and colours... 

However, for me, £161for a brand I know little of, battery powered aswell.. There's plenty others (seiko 5, as mentioned by taffin for starters) that represent far greater value in my opinion. 

I liked the look of the festina, but wouldn't buy one. 

Before all this corona, business I was planning to lose weight and take up diving. Obviously I've been watching YouTube vids about diving watches, rolex subs etc, but these, are completely out the question price wise. 

If I do manage to start diving (financially a bit screwed atm for obvious reasons! Had to take a job in a warehouse on minimum wage due to corona) I'll get advise on a dive watch from other members of the club. 

Hate to say though that for now, and the foreseeable future that's all pie in the sky. Have to content myself with looking and dreaming. 

27 minutes ago, Taffin said:

On the topic of good value, lowish budget watches what cause the Seiko 5 automatics to go up in price? I'm sure I paid about 50 quid for mine.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Seiko-Automatic-Analogue-Display-SNK809K2/dp/B002SSUQFG/ref=mp_s_a_1_10?dchild=1&keywords=seiko+5+watches+for+men&qid=1586863974&sprefix=seiko&sr=8-10

I like the seiko 5 series.. 

The new limited edition Brian may one caught my eye a while ago. I thought at £500 it was reasonably priced however a quick search for seiko series 5 threw up many as nice and well under half the price. 

Greedy Jambo
hmfc_liam06

Greedy Jambo
27 minutes ago, hmfc_liam06 said:

Oh I like! There's something about black watches.

I've got good taste mate haha. 

It won't be expensive enough for the wallopers on here though. 

1 hour ago, Space Pirate said:

I think this thread's been really good for discussing the merits of watches at all price points from cheap but interesting watches, to vintage foreign watches, to yes, the more 'premium brands'.

It was on here I got the recommendation for my 50 quid Seiko 5 automatic. Great watch and interesting.

The only poo-pooing I've really seen is (admittedly it covers the watch posted) fashion house watches and that's not because they're inexpensive but because you can get a lot more bang for your buck elsewhere. 

Edited by Taffin

1 hour ago, Space Pirate said:

Moronic contribution.    Everybody has discussed all types of watches.    Only recently some very inexpensive Russian watches.

Perhaps you should start your own thread.   Invitation only.    To exclude "wallopers".

Greedy Jambo
5 minutes ago, Taffin said:

I think this thread's been really good for discussing the merits of watches at all price points from cheap but interesting watches, to vintage foreign watches, to yes, the more 'premium brands'.

It was on here I got the recommendation for my 50 quid Seiko 5 automatic. Great watch and interesting.

The only poo-pooing I've really seen is (admittedly it covers the watch posted) fashion house watches and that's not because they're inexpensive but because you can get a lot more bang for your buck elsewhere. 

Fair enough, I just have the view point that a watch does basically hee haw and is a waste of money unless you're a professional diver or nob end. 

You're saying that the watch you bought is interesting, how so?

I can see a smart watch being interesting... but other than that. 

Greedy Jambo
3 minutes ago, Victorian said:

Moronic contribution.    Everybody has discussed all types of watches.    Only recently some very inexpensive Russian watches.

Perhaps you should start your own thread.   Invitation only.    To exclude "wallopers".

Moan then, explain it to me. Why is a watch interesting lol. 

The marketplace up to about £200 is immense.    Everybody has their own idea about VFM or BFTB.    Fashion watches are no less legitimate than anything else.    It's all about individual tastes and perceptions.    

To avoid being seen as a "Nob end",    a watch is essentially a piece of jewellery.   Maybe even part of one's clothing in a way.    

Greedy Jambo
Just now, Victorian said:

The marketplace up to about £200 is immense.    Everybody has their own idea about VFM or BFTB.    Fashion watches are no less legitimate than anything else.    It's all about individual tastes and perceptions.    

To avoid being seen as a "Nob end",    a watch is essentially a piece of jewellery.   Maybe even part of one's clothing in a way.    

Aye ok. I get that it can be a piece of clothing, or jewellery. Interesting though? not so much.