Watches

jack D and coke

dobmisterdobster
1 hour ago, IronJambo said:

Their "secret" GMT. How much is the repair costing?

580 for the service plus a new crown is about 60ish.

They wanted over 100 for new glass which is completely unnecessary.

Cheaper than a GMT and a Submariner. Its a hidden gem.

• Replies 2.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Victorian

• Sten Guns

• cosanostra

• Tazio

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

dobmisterdobster
43 minutes ago, Victorian said:

New crystal would have been costly.    They laser in a tiny corona into the crystal.   Down at the 6 o'clock position.    It can be really hard to see and you probably need a loupe to see it.    I bought a second hand one just like yours and I had a worrying moment thinking there was something not quite right until I eventually picked it out with a loupe and only viewed at a very shallow angle.

There is a small chip on the edge of the crystal not noticeable due to the lighting and barely noticeable at all.

Spending upwards big £100 to replace it seems silly. I think they were trying to gouge me with the extras.

Can't say I have noticed the Corona with the naked eye. I will have a look for it when I get it back.

Mine is second-hand but manufactured in '06 which isn't that old.

20 minutes ago, dobmisterdobster said:

There is a small chip on the edge of the crystal not noticeable due to the lighting and barely noticeable at all.

Spending upwards big £100 to replace it seems silly. I think they were trying to gouge me with the extras.

Can't say I have noticed the Corona with the naked eye. I will have a look for it when I get it back.

It should have it then.   Your year is around the time they started etching in the model and serial numbers into the rehaut.    

Carl Weathers
2 hours ago, dobmisterdobster said:

Where did you buy that? Privately or from a used dealer? I read that new sports models are really hard to come by.

40 minutes ago, Carl Weathers said:

Where did you buy that? Privately or from a used dealer? I read that new sports models are really hard to come by.

He said it was bought 2nd hand.

Explorer II's are easier to get than a Sub or a Daytona. Explorer I's also, whilst a bit harder to get than the former (I think).

I started putting the feelers out a few months ago for an Explorer I and it seemed 2 out of the 3 AD's I had dialogue with were amenable to selling me one. One advised a wait of up to 3 months and I didn't speak as far as time scales with the other. 

I enquired ages ago about a new Air King and was told it was a really long list.   Added my name but was offered one much quicker than the original estimate.    I didn't bother going ahead but my name was kept on the list.    

dobmisterdobster
2 hours ago, Victorian said:

I enquired ages ago about a new Air King and was told it was a really long list.   Added my name but was offered one much quicker than the original estimate.    I didn't bother going ahead but my name was kept on the list.    

Isn't the new Air King the only watch to be emblazoned with the modern green and gold Rolex logo?

16 minutes ago, dobmisterdobster said:

Isn't the new Air King the only watch to be emblazoned with the modern green and gold Rolex logo?

It is.   Not to everyone's taste but I thought it was a great design.   At the the time it was either that or a Milgauss.   Ended up thinking better of it.

1 hour ago, Carl Weathers said:

Got a call saying my BB58 is in 2 months earlier than expected. I'll probably go and get it tomorrow.

Interestingly I read a piece yesterday about someone pretty much getting a steel sports Rolex pretty much off the shelf, despite being told about the famous waiting list. Could it be the Rolex group have over egged the pudding in terms of using the waiting list as a marketing tool?

Edited by Tazio

4 hours ago, Tazio said:

Interestingly I read a piece yesterday about someone pretty much getting a steel sports Rolex pretty much off the shelf, despite being told about the famous waiting list. Could it be the Rolex group have over egged the pudding in terms of using the waiting list as a marketing tool?

Quite possibly. I've a feeling some of them use the fear factor of the inability to source what you want to drive other sales. I asked about an Explorer in a well known chain in Reading and the smug twat that I spoke with asked me about my purchase history and went on to tell me that they won't sell me one unless I make some other purchases. I laughed at him and walked out the shop. I'd have appreciated his position more had I been asking for a Batman or a Daytona. I won't ever buy anything from that shop now. In any case, I must have over 30 Rolex ADs within reach that I can go around if I feel the need. I'm sure I'd get lucky somewhere.

The irony is that I'm after a Tudor 1926 for my Mrs but I'll buy that from the Rolex AD in Windsor where I had a nice civilised chat and an offer to order an Explorer when I wanted one.

Edited by IronJambo

Carl Weathers

I've heard a lot about the waiting lists and having to have a purchase history in order to get the most desirable models. It's all a bit too wanky for me - not that I have the money to buy anyway...

Picked up my BB58 yesterday. Perfect fit for me. Very happy.

Got that Raketa and more "dull" Komandirskie in with the graphics on it, in the post this morning.

Contrary to the descriptions, the Raketa runs way too fast and the Komandirskie doesn't run properly at all. Pretty disappointed, tbh. Both nice looking though. Hopefully the other Komandirskie will be to spec.

been here before
5 minutes ago, Justin Z said:

Got that Raketa and more "dull" Komandirskie in with the graphics on it, in the post this morning.

Contrary to the descriptions, the Raketa runs way too fast and the Komandirskie doesn't run properly at all. Pretty disappointed, tbh. Both nice looking though. Hopefully the other Komandirskie will be to spec.

Were those from ebay?

Ive been looking about at a couple of Raketa ones just for something a bit different. Who was the seller if you dont mind me asking?

11 minutes ago, been here before said:

Were those from ebay?

Ive been looking about at a couple of Raketa ones just for something a bit different. Who was the seller if you dont mind me asking?

They were. The seller is called stanislav19830211. I foolishly left him positive feedback before testing enough to realise there were problems with how they ran, so I feel like a mug. Learning as I go, I guess. On the bright side, as I mentioned I'm not out much for them.

To be fair to him, I have contacted him and he was very apologetic.  He said, and I agreed, that it doesn't make much sense to send these back, adding "I don’t even know what to offer you. But to respect any suggestion on this subject, let's find common benefit on this subject." I think he's using Google Translate :lol: But he says he's looking in his inventory for one more Raketa to send me as a replacement, which is a nice gesture at least.

6 hours ago, Carl Weathers said:

I've heard a lot about the waiting lists and having to have a purchase history in order to get the most desirable models. It's all a bit too wanky for me - not that I have the money to buy anyway...

Picked up my BB58 yesterday. Perfect fit for me. Very happy.

I don't mind waiting a bit, that part doesn't bother me at all. I'm not spending four figures on stuff I don't want to earn the privilege of making a £5k+ purchase though. 

I really like the BB58 but I just know I'd be looking for something else after buying one. Did you take it on the bracelet? 

Carl Weathers

I got the bracelet version. I was actually thinking this will do me for a while! Time will tell ofc. I really like the Tudor Subs and Chronos from the 90's... I'm just not sure I could ever justify buying a Rolex sports model.

The justification is easy and it's why I'm finding it really hard to find an alternative to the Explorer. Every watch I've ever owned has depreciated. There probably isn't a watch in my reach other than a Rolex that won't depreciate loads. 

If I buy an Explorer then I'm just swapping cash for a watch, which can then be turned into the same cash again. If it depreciates it won't be for long and if I ever need to sell it I'll most likely get my money back and maybe more.

Got quite a sense of deja vous typing this post but cant be bothered to check back and see if I posted similar last year..

Really fancy one of the Seiko "Arnie" (SNJO25P1), as worn by the man himself in several movies... Always thought that un-necessary long close ups on his watches in movies was a rather blatant subliminal advertising stunt. 

Seiko also doing them with pepsi style bezel and another variant.. 

At £420 I'd definitely have it and you can be sure I'll be back to that site to check if they're in stock... (sorry.) 

https://www.watcho.co.uk/Watches/Seiko/Seiko-Prospex-Arnie-Re-Issue-Divers-Solar-LCD-Alarm-Chronograph-Watch-SNJ025P1

Edited by muldoon74

1 hour ago, muldoon74 said:

Got quite a sense of deja vous typing this post but cant be bothered to check back and see if I posted similar last year..

Really fancy one of the Seiko "Arnie" (SNJO25P1), as worn by the man himself in several movies... Always thought that un-necessary long close ups on his watches in movies was a rather blatant subliminal advertising stunt. 

Seiko also doing them with pepsi style bezel and another variant.. 

At £420 I'd definitely have it and you can be sure I'll be back to that site to check if they're in stock... (sorry.) 

https://www.watcho.co.uk/Watches/Seiko/Seiko-Prospex-Arnie-Re-Issue-Divers-Solar-LCD-Alarm-Chronograph-Watch-SNJ025P1

The three, variants... 

Screenshot_20200217_235006_com.android.chrome.jpg

21 hours ago, Justin Z said:

To be fair to him, I have contacted him and he was very apologetic.  He said, and I agreed, that it doesn't make much sense to send these back, adding "I don’t even know what to offer you. But to respect any suggestion on this subject, let's find common benefit on this subject." I think he's using Google Translate :lol: But he says he's looking in his inventory for one more Raketa to send me as a replacement, which is a nice gesture at least.

He sent me out another Raketa which he said he watched for a day and was only off by about a minute. He's continued to be extremely apologetic. Seems like a really nice guy, and what he sells is cheap, so if you do decide to buy from him @been here before at the very least you won't be out much.

Another strange development is that there appears to be a ghost in the Komandirskie. It suddenly began to tick on its own after just laying there a while. Very, very, very strange. It does seem to be keeping time accurately now, but is the same thing going to happen the next time I wind it? No sign of life for a while and then boom, ticking again? I don't know :lol:

been here before
43 minutes ago, Justin Z said:

He sent me out another Raketa which he said he watched for a day and was only off by about a minute. He's continued to be extremely apologetic. Seems like a really nice guy, and what he sells is cheap, so if you do decide to buy from him @been here before at the very least you won't be out much.

Another strange development is that there appears to be a ghost in the Komandirskie. It suddenly began to tick on its own after just laying there a while. Very, very, very strange. It does seem to be keeping time accurately now, but is the same thing going to happen the next time I wind it? No sign of life for a while and then boom, ticking again? I don't know :lol:

Cheers for that. Thats one of the things I was thinking that its hardly a kings ransom if its not quite as good as described. 

Maybe the Komadirskie is on pre revolution time. Lenin ordered the first couple of weeks in February to disappear...

2 hours ago, been here before said:

Maybe the Komadirskie is on pre revolution time. Lenin ordered the first couple of weeks in February to disappear...

EGDmCdR.gif My favourite theory by far

40 minutes ago, sinks said:

Anybody got any thoughts on Rado watches?

Love this Captain Cook 37mm. Not so keen on the more mainstream bigger one though.

Not a fan of much more that they do, other than thinking that the odd vintage diastar looks cool. 

8 hours ago, Justin Z said:

Sounds like it's oiling is a bit old and gummy.    You can actually improve the running of a watch in need of a re-lube by applying heat to 'thin up' any gummy oil.    Ok for watches of modest value.    You can sit it above a heater or radiator or even take the back off and carefully apply hot air from a hairdryer.     Ideally it should be re-oiled.     

It might even be that it's intermittent running has been caused by transit and it might settle down.     Many watches don't like being placed on their side for a period of time.     

Edited by Victorian

Those Arnie re-issues look great but it's a lot of money for a cheapish solar cell movement.     It's one on my maybe list.

Edited by Victorian

1 hour ago, sinks said:

Anybody got any thoughts on Rado watches?

I had an amazing vintage Rado Silver Horse that I always wished I had kept.     No chance of ever finding another.

1 hour ago, IronJambo said:

Love this Captain Cook 37mm. Not so keen on the more mainstream bigger one though.

Not a fan of much more that they do, other than thinking that the odd vintage diastar looks cool. 

38 minutes ago, Carl Weathers said:

I have a Rado Coupole and really like it.

Quite fancy Rado Golden Horse 1957 limited edition although I know nothing about watches

Get the back off the Raketa and research the calibre.    See if there's a regulator screw you can monkey about with.     You might be able to regulate it by trial and error.    

This came in

IMG_20200219_122454_copy_756x1008.thumb.jpg.dc7f6927295e28e3ded317b290e8c2ac.jpg

The strap is garbage but the watch itself is in fantastic shape.

Edited by Justin Z

Question for those who would know, is there a way to get the strap to not stick out over the top of the face like this? Am I maybe doing something wrong? It seems silly. I'm going to replace the strap anyway but, it'd be good for my info as a newbie.

1.png.485f84311274b4938d3778aa43305fbc.png

2.png.e1ec4ce179b9ac8326bf82007a3b2a9e.png

3.thumb.png.c8c9d9da34bf2ef69323e88cb9b51897.png

Fold it over on itself and back through the first loop or the second loop.

edit: trying to find a photo online but I can't see one that clearly shows it.

Edited by Taffin

Better to crop off the shorter bit.   The bit that passes underneath the watch.    Makes it a single pass strap.   You can then locate the watch further away from the buckle so that the buckle and keepers sit on the underside of the wrist.    Cut close to the join but not too close and then seal it by waving a cigarette lighter around the cut in the nylon.

been here before
On 19/02/2020 at 12:34, Justin Z said:

This came in

IMG_20200219_122454_copy_756x1008.thumb.jpg.dc7f6927295e28e3ded317b290e8c2ac.jpg

The strap is garbage but the watch itself is in fantastic shape.

I quite like that and looked at a couple of them. The red markings between the 9 and 12 annoyed me though.

Having seen yours though with better pictures I still might go for one if I can work out why they're there. :lol:

2 minutes ago, been here before said:

Having seen yours though with better pictures I still might go for one if I can work out why they're there. :lol:

A splash of Soviet colour perhaps? EGDmCdR.gif I think it looks cool in person, but your mileage may vary!

Edit:

Just now, Victorian said:

It's a diver's time elapsed bezel.    You use it for a visible guide to air tank reserve when scuba diving.

Now that's cool.

Edited by Justin Z

You line up the bezel with minute hand to show the red area as the last 15 mins of your air.    The minute hand moves on and you can see what time is left.

1 hour ago, Justin Z said:

A splash of Soviet colour perhaps? EGDmCdR.gif I think it looks cool in person, but your mileage may vary!

Edit:

Now that's cool.

Diver bezels are great. I use mine when I tell the boy he's got ten more minutes until bedtime, when cooking, and when I need to time two minutes on a machine at the bookies.

On the subject of watches of the British military,    one interesting story is that Rolex founder Hans Wilsdorf supplied Rolex watches to POW British fliers in the Stalags.     Not only that but he trusted them to settle the bills for them after the war.     British officers could literally order up a Rolex on 'mail order' and have it delivered by the Red Cross to the Stalag.     Wilsdorf assumed that the gentleman English officer would settle his account at a later date.   

• 2 weeks later...
Suso Santana

What i like about watches it that you can watch them. 

I mean, you can spend loads of money on them, put them on your wrist and tell the time. 

It's unbelievable. 

Some folk just look at their phone to get the time but **** that. 

annushorribilis III
7 minutes ago, Suso Santana said:

I mean, you can spend loads of money on them, put them on your wrist and tell the time. 

It's unbelievable. 

:rofl:👍

12 hours ago, Suso Santana said:

It's unbelievable. 

It's a great feature.