Watches

jack D and coke

38 minutes ago, Carl Weathers said:

I'd definitely keep the explorer. I'd like to get an explorer or an Oyster perpetual with a white dial next.

I don't have one yet, but it's an itch that won't go away until I do. I considered an OP but I would end up buying one that looks as much like an Explorer as possible 🙄

• Replies 2.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Victorian

• Sten Guns

• cosanostra

• Tazio

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

29 minutes ago, IronJambo said:

I don't have one yet, but it's an itch that won't go away until I do. I considered an OP but I would end up buying one that looks as much like an Explorer as possible 🙄

There are a few Explorer homages around.    The best of which are the Smiths Everest PRS-25 by Timefactors or the Armida A6.     

Timefactors make some outstanding watches.    Sheffield based.

13 minutes ago, Victorian said:

There are a few Explorer homages around.    The best of which are the Smiths Everest PRS-25 by Timefactors or the Armida A6.     

Yeah I'm aware of all. I'm an arsehole though and I can't have one as they're not an Explorer. 

Edit:. I think Alpha do it best in looks department (for me anyway).I won't ever buy one though.

wZmZEEl.jpg

Edited by IronJambo

3 hours ago, Victorian said:

Never heard of time factors until I read this post.. Decided to have a wee Google and look.. 

Love this.. https://www.timefactors.com/smithsprs38.htm

Slightly sporty yet elegant, understated and classy imo..  And @ £445, not totally out of reach once the debts are busted down a bit.

6 hours ago, IronJambo said:

Yeah I'm aware of all. I'm an arsehole though and I can't have one as they're not an Explorer. 

Edit:. I think Alpha do it best in looks department (for me anyway).I won't ever buy one though.

wZmZEEl.jpg

Alphas are cheap tat with Chinese movements.    The PRS and Armida will have Miyota (Citizen) or Seiko NH series movements.    Quality and reliable.

3 hours ago, muldoon74 said:

Never heard of time factors until I read this post.. Decided to have a wee Google and look.. 

Slightly sporty yet elegant, understated and classy imo..  And @ £445, not totally out of reach once the debts are busted down a bit.

Timefactors have done a lot of highly sought after,  short run productions and limited volume productions.     It seems to have aquired the Smiths and Precista marques at some point.    Both names of good quality in the past.

I have had about 4 Smiths PRS-68s.    Keep buying and then flipping them.    Homage of the Seiko 6105 Deep Sea Diver.   Captain Willard watch from Apocalypse Now.

11 minutes ago, Victorian said:

Alphas are cheap tat with Chinese movements.    The PRS and Armida will have Miyota (Citizen) or Seiko NH series movements.    Quality and reliable.

That's all moot when they're watches pretending to be something else, the movements are secondary to looks if going down that road. I'd rather wear my Casio than any of them.

2 minutes ago, IronJambo said:

That's all moot when they're watches pretending to be something else, the movements are secondary to looks if going down that road. I'd rather wear my Casio than any of them.

Not really.    The Timefactors and Armida ones are quality.    The Alpha is just tat.     If you buy the quality ones,   they are worth having in their own right and don't closely rip off the Explorer.

been here before
3 hours ago, muldoon74 said:

Looks like you've got time...

Closure due to ill health
As many of you know, I underwent major surgery in August this year and was advised not to work for 3 months.   After 2 months I felt well enough to resume work and for the last 6 weeks I've been extremely busy.   Unfortunately, this has affected my recovery and it's gone into reverse.   There is really no option but to cease work until my recovery is complete, unfortunately I have no idea how long this will take.

41 minutes ago, Victorian said:

Not really.    The Timefactors and Armida ones are quality.    The Alpha is just tat.     If you buy the quality ones,   they are worth having in their own right and don't closely rip off the Explorer.

They rip off a vintage explorer with a slight twist. Doesn't do it for me at all. 

Carl Weathers
19 hours ago, jamb0_1874 said:

So would the good folk of kickback say it was worth spending extra on this automatic watch,

https://www.ernestjones.co.uk/webstore/d/1297783/longines+conquest+men's+chronograph+bracelet+watch/

Over something like this which is VHP Quartz

https://www.longines.co.uk/watch-conquest-l3-717-4-96-6

I'd say definitely. 

Carl Weathers
9 minutes ago, sinks said:

Thinking of buying my son a watch.Quite fancy a Tudor.Are they worth the money?

Tudor are owned by the same company that own Rolex but their watches are cheaper. Definitely worth the money imo.

Edited by Carl Weathers

been here before

Ive a question here that might be a bit more technical than Im anticipating. Ive been looking at watches, the technical side etc to try and get a better understanding. As an example I started with this Lognines Conquest which usually sells for £860.

A look around on the web shows you can get it here used for 417 but what it also states is that the movement is an ETA 955.112. A quick googlify shows an ETA 955.112 movement can be bought for £20 from leosics. Now bearing in mind Im presuming these watch companies will buy these movements by the bucketload then itll cost them very little.

With the movement being the guts of the watch or as I understand the most important part where does the 840 quid go that the watch costs? What else are you paying for?

Surely the hands, paint, stainless steel, glass etc dont cost that much.

Sorry if its an idiotic question but Im just curious.

1 hour ago, sinks said:

Thinking of buying my son a watch.Quite fancy a Tudor.Are they worth the money?

Yep. Don't leave it late though, it's becoming common place to have to join a wait list to get what you want.

11 minutes ago, been here before said:

Ive a question here that might be a bit more technical than Im anticipating. Ive been looking at watches, the technical side etc to try and get a better understanding. As an example I started with this Lognines Conquest which usually sells for £860.

A look around on the web shows you can get it here used for 417 but what it also states is that the movement is an ETA 955.112. A quick googlify shows an ETA 955.112 movement can be bought for £20 from leosics. Now bearing in mind Im presuming these watch companies will buy these movements by the bucketload then itll cost them very little.

With the movement being the guts of the watch or as I understand the most important part where does the 840 quid go that the watch costs? What else are you paying for?

A lot of people wonder this about movements,   especially quartz movements like the one you mentioned.    Lots of people insist on automatic / mechanical movements as they think they are somehow getting better value for money,   but the truth is that most auto / mechanical movements are also very cheap.    But it doesn't mean they are poor quality.    Some marques produce their own 'in house' movements and some embelish a base calibre with decorated bridges,  rotor weights, etc.    There can also be more practical 'tuning' of catalogue movements to produce longer power reserve,  etc.    Naturally these are more expensive.

Some of the money for an expensive watch goes on very good quality materials and component production to tighter tolerances.    Better assembly,  etc.     Some goes on the support of better and longer warranties.

Edited by Victorian

1 hour ago, Carl Weathers said:

Tudor are owned by the same company that own Rolex but their watches are cheaper. Definitely worth the money imo.

Thanks

9 minutes ago, IronJambo said:

Yep. Don't leave it late though, it's becoming common place to have to join a wait list to get what you want.

Ta...16 week lead time I believe 

10 minutes ago, been here before said:

ETA do their movements in up to 4 different grades ranging from a basic level to chronometer level so you would need to know what they were using an compare like for like properly. You're paying for the watch being built, regulated, packed, shipped, advertised etc. You're also paying the retailer their cut. Depending where you read and what you want to believe there's supposedly anything from 6-12x mark up on cost. So really, you're not getting what you pay for.

51 minutes ago, sinks said:

Ta...16 week lead time I believe 

That for the BB58?

I was in looking at the black bay two weeks ago and could have walked out with it there and then...unless they've sold a ton of them post Christmas.

been here before
1 hour ago, Victorian said:

A lot of people wonder this about movements,   especially quartz movements like the one you mentioned.    Lots of people insist on automatic / mechanical movements as they think they are somehow getting better value for money,   but the truth is that most auto / mechanical movements are also very cheap.    But it doesn't mean they are poor quality.    Some marques produce their own 'in house' movements and some embelish a base calibre with decorated bridges,  rotor weights, etc.    There can also be more practical 'tuning' of catalogue movements to produce longer power reserve,  etc.    Naturally these are more expensive.

Some of the money for an expensive watch goes on very good quality materials and component production to tighter tolerances.    Better assembly,  etc.     Some goes on the support of better and longer warranties.

1 hour ago, IronJambo said:

ETA do their movements in up to 4 different grades ranging from a basic level to chronometer level so you would need to know what they were using an compare like for like properly. You're paying for the watch being built, regulated, packed, shipped, advertised etc. You're also paying the retailer their cut. Depending where you read and what you want to believe there's supposedly anything from 6-12x mark up on cost. So really, you're not getting what you pay for.

Thanks for your answers gents. Everyones entitled to a profit but that seems insane. I think Ill keep my money in my tail for the time being.

Captain Sausage
2 hours ago, been here before said:

There is a monumental mark up on most watches. A lot of that money is put into marketing. 

Look at the number of Indy watch start ups that’ve started in the last few years. They either use the dirt cheap Chinese quartz movements and you get a $10 watch for £100 or they use the basic auto movements and you get a $100 for £500. There’s plenty money to be made with some slick marketing and in-your-face targeted ads. 

1 hour ago, Taffin said:

That for the BB58?

I was in looking at the black bay two weeks ago and could have walked out with it there and then...unless they've sold a ton of them post Christmas.

No,that is for the Tudor Style with a burgundy dial

1 hour ago, sinks said:

No,that is for the Tudor Style with a burgundy dial

Ah cool, not familiar with it. I've only really just started looking at Tudor options...burgundy dial is a good choice though for obvious reasons 👌👌

48 minutes ago, Taffin said:

Ah cool, not familiar with it. I've only really just started looking at Tudor options...burgundy dial is a good choice though for obvious reasons 👌👌

TBF the dial was the main reason for looking at it 👍

I was right off watches but this thread has got the old watch collecting twitches going so I've just snapped up a couple of cheapish divers.    Divex Offshore 500m professional (big lumpy bracelet bought separately).    Tauchmeister (Aeromatic) 1000m profi limited edition in cobra yellow.

This will be about my 6th Divex of the same model.   :rofl:   

Had a few Tauchmeisters before but not this one.

Think I'll bash the bracelet on the Tauchmeister as I've just discovered an elasticated paracord Marine Nationale strap in the old watch strap drawer.    :)

Well, I've just spent about an hour for the first time ever opening up a bunch of old, broken cheap watches I bought as a lot off eBay for $20 when I was in the States.

Women's. Actually, two of the watches from the lot were in okay nick as-is and I gave one each to my two nieces for Christmas.

But in any event, I now have seven watches I've sort of frankensteined together, all in decent shape, with three of them running, one waiting on a new leather strap, and four waiting for the correct batteries. Not bad for about 15 quid and another 5 quid for a cheap toolset.

My favourite? A "Rolex" :rofl:

IMG_20200104_162638.thumb.jpg.cdbaa9d7b85e19e78d745f0f1e0061cf.jpg

So I finally pushed the button and ended up opting for this one. More than I had originally thought about spending but took advantage of the January sales and also a 20% discount code from the jeweller to get a good chunk off the RRP.

tag-heuer-carrera-automatic-black-dial-men_s-watch-war211aba0782.jpg

22 minutes ago, jamb0_1874 said:

So I finally pushed the button and ended up opting for this one. More than I had originally thought about spending but took advantage of the January sales and also a 20% discount code from the jeweller to get a good chunk off the RRP.

They upset some of the more snooty watch crowd but I think that the Carrera is a great design and a good looking watch. 

Carl Weathers
1 hour ago, jamb0_1874 said:

Looks good. Nice buy.

Nothing like a TAG Heuer to get the watch morons gurning.    Perfectly good watches but very often dismissed as some kind of horological heresy.

been here before

Ive been looking for something a wee bit different and came across Russian watches. For example Sturmanskie...

https://www.amazon.co.uk/stores/node/3901247031?_encoding=UTF8&field-lbr_brands_browse-bin=Sturmanskie&ref_=mh_bl_sl_ap_wa_mw_3901247031&productGridPageIndex=2

No idea if theyre and good or worth the roubles but I quite like the idea of an 'arctic watch' like the one below...

71XOGzCpJiL._AC_UY580_ML2_.jpg.e462b2efe9b4d57dfe06abe317f95d8e.jpg

Any thoughts or advice?

Edited by been here before

8 minutes ago, been here before said:

Ive been looking for something a wee bit different and came across Russian watches. For example Sturmanskie...

https://www.amazon.co.uk/stores/node/3901247031?_encoding=UTF8&field-lbr_brands_browse-bin=Sturmanskie&ref_=mh_bl_sl_ap_wa_mw_3901247031&productGridPageIndex=2

No idea if theyre and good or worth the roubles but I quite like the idea of an 'arctic watch' like the one below...

71XOGzCpJiL._AC_UY580_ML2_.jpg.e462b2efe9b4d57dfe06abe317f95d8e.jpg

Any thoughts or advice?

I used to right into older Russian watches.  Vostok, Poljot, Slava, Raketa, etc.    You get vintage and recreation Sturmanskie stuff.    That looks modern.

Have a look at original Vostoks and their modern homages called Amphibian.    Some great looking things at not much money.    

Original Vostoks have got funny screw down crowns and stems.    When you deploy the crowns out,   the outer stem becomes wobbly.    Quite normal.    You have to carefully re-engage it back in and screw down the crown.    

Edited by Victorian

1 hour ago, Victorian said:

Nothing like a TAG Heuer to get the watch morons gurning.    Perfectly good watches but very often dismissed as some kind of horological heresy.

I think some of them are decent. Ruined by the chavs for me. This isn't exclusive to them, there are plenty of clothing brands I won't buy either.

Some vintage Raketa (Paketa) watches have 24 hour movements.    Just one revolution of the hour hand per day.   Like Glycine Airman (purist version) watches.    Nice little things.

Going back to vintage Sturmanskie.    There are various guises of the vintage chronograph 3133 movements.   Sturmanskie and Poljot and others.   The Russians bought up all the tooling and components from the Swiss industry when they stopped production of the old Valjoux 7733 and 7734 stuff.    Some watchmakers went to work for the Russian makers. 

If you get an old 3133,  it's really just a Swiss Valjoux made in Russia.  

Edited by Victorian

InNothingWeTrust

Looking for some advice on watch repair in Edinburgh. 

I bought a mechanical watch 5 or 6 years ago when I was in Reykjavik(nothing too fancy/expensive!).  The spring no longer winds up when I twist the crown.  I've halfheartedly tried to get it fixed over the past couple of years to no avail. 

Any suggestions for someone/somewhere in Edinburgh that would be able to fix it?

7 minutes ago, InNothingWeTrust said:

Looking for some advice on watch repair in Edinburgh. 

I bought a mechanical watch 5 or 6 years ago when I was in Reykjavik(nothing too fancy/expensive!).  The spring no longer winds up when I twist the crown.  I've halfheartedly tried to get it fixed over the past couple of years to no avail. 

Any suggestions for someone/somewhere in Edinburgh that would be able to fix it?

I can't offer advice on where to take it but you say it wasn't expensive. 6 years on it probably needs a service which I'm sure would see it returned in working order (with the possibility of an identical replacement movement being most cost effective). I'd probably expect to pay at least £150. It depends what inexpensive means to you along with what your attachment to your watch is. It might not be cost effective to repair, bearing in mind it'll probably want servicing in another 5ish years again. 

Edited by IronJambo

2 hours ago, Carl Weathers said:

Some pics of my watch getting a service. Anyone know what the marks are around the dial?

https://watchguy.co.uk/cgi-bin/library?action=show_photos&wat_id=4237&tk_id=75601602

Surely just colour loss off the dial but there's no way a good watchmaker will molest it.    Watchguy is supposed to be very,  very good.   

• 2 weeks later...
Carl Weathers
On 03/01/2020 at 19:37, Taffin said:

That for the BB58?

I'm quite keen on a BB58 now. Does anyone know if there is a long waiting list? Where is the best place to go in Edinburgh?

A few months of a wait would be good for me.

1 hour ago, Carl Weathers said:

I'm quite keen on a BB58 now. Does anyone know if there is a long waiting list? Where is the best place to go in Edinburgh?

From what I've been reading they're becoming slightly easier and quicker to obtain. 

Best places to ask though are the AD's in Edinburgh (not living anywhere near I've got no idea who they are). 

Be prepared to have to leave a deposit (refundable) and if you have to then take peace of mind that they're not taking the piss and won't muck you around.

I like the BB58 and tried to convince myself I wanted one. The idea sadly didn't stick.

Carl Weathers

Cheers. I'd quite like to sell/trade in my Longines Hydroconquest to help fund it as well. A wee wait wouldn't be a bad thing as I just got the Rolex Precision and my wife will go radge. The selling of the other watch might soften her rage.

I think the BB58 looks great and would be a nice size for me. I havent seen it in the flesh yet however.  

Edited by Carl Weathers

2 hours ago, Carl Weathers said:

Sorry, I'm not based in Edinburgh. I like the 58 too but I've decided to wait until August and get a regular black bay when the project I'm on finishes as a treat.

The 58 is a really nice watch though... admittedly I'm never sure what's considered a good watch or not in the eyes of those who genuinely know watches. But I like it.

54 minutes ago, Carl Weathers said:

as I just got the Rolex Precision and my wife will go radge. The selling of the other watch might soften her rage.

Hahaha I've been working hard on this as well. My last purchase wasn't meant to be followed up by another but I've somehow managed to convince her that it's a great idea for me to buy a Rolex explorer. She remarkably fine with that, but I may have over egged it as she wants a Tudor 1926 now.