Top Posters In This Topic

• Victorian

• Sten Guns

• cosanostra

• Tazio

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

1 hour ago, Carl Weathers said:

The markers on mines seem a bit different to most of the versions I can see online. Tear shaped. That ok? 😯

IMG-20191213-WA0004.jpg

I wouldn't worry too much.   There are various configurations of indexes and hands,  etc.     The hands look right and I see the same type of indexes on a few I've just looked at.     Worst case it could possibly be a bit of a Franken / Trigger's broom,   but if the case and movement are original then it's all good.     There are tons of re-dials / custom dials on the market.       The lume loss / dirt on the hands is a possible nod to it being unmolested.

Edited by Victorian

Carl Weathers
27 minutes ago, Victorian said:

I wouldn't worry too much.   There are various configurations of indexes and hands,  etc.     The hands look right and I see the same type of indexes on a few I've just looked at.     Worst case it could possibly be a bit of a Franken / Trigger's broom,   but if the case and movement are original then it's all good.     There are tons of re-dials / custom dials on the market.       The lume loss / dirt on the hands is a possible nod to it being unmolested.

Cheers. 

Triggers broom! 😀

Edited by Carl Weathers

1 minute ago, Carl Weathers said:

Cheers. 

Triggers broom! 😀

I'm no expert but it looks ok to me.   Date wheel font looks good,   as well as the strength of magnification on the cyclops.    Dial text seems fine.   I like that a lot.     Looks great on the strap actually.     I would stick to black because of the black dial,   if you steer away from a bracelet.

Thinking about treating myself to a new watch, maybe looking to spend between £500-£1000. Has anybody got any recommendations or places to start looking?

Carl Weathers

What kind of watch are you after? Dress, dive, sports etc. 

Longines and Rado do some nice watches in the top end of that price range. 

Perfect thanks I'll have a look at both brands mentioned. How are Tag watches, I have seen a couple of the formula 1 range that look nice but am not sure if they would be any good or not.

I have a couple of dress style watches so am thinking maybe a sports/dive style. Do you think Quartz or Automatic would be better in this price range? Also new or pre-owned? Any websites that you'd recommend?

Carl Weathers

I'd recommend doing some research and browsing as many online shops as possible.

You can get pretty good discounts on watches and now is probably a good time of year.

I personally like Automatics but each to their own!

There are loads of good used watch websites like Chrono24 and watch finder.

6 hours ago, jamb0_1874 said:

Thinking about treating myself to a new watch, maybe looking to spend between £500-£1000. Has anybody got any recommendations or places to start looking?

I couldn't bring myself to spend that on a quartz and a decent automatic/mechanical could be bought for that cash. Depends on how important accuracy is for you as an auto is going to gain/lose up to 20 seconds a day. I really like Hamilton as a brand and they fit right into that price range. 

Christopher Ward and Farer are worth a look also, the latter probably stretching that budget though.

1 hour ago, IronJambo said:

I couldn't bring myself to spend that on a quartz and a decent automatic/mechanical could be bought for that cash. Depends on how important accuracy is for you as an auto is going to gain/lose up to 20 seconds a day. I really like Hamilton as a brand and they fit right into that price range. 

Christopher Ward and Farer are worth a look also, the latter probably stretching that budget though.

If you can stretch budget to around £1200 some great pre owned tag Carrera on various sites. Usually around 10 years old. Most high street watch stores now have pre owned stock so sometimes worth a look. Argyle arcade in glasgow is great to browse. Bought the wife a wee rolex for her 60th last year in chisolm hunter. ( they own watchfinder I believe) 

I'd recommend watch finder online though. Bought 2 from their london shops in the past. Quite handy to part exchange through them if you see something better later on too. 

Thinking of getting a zenith elite ultra thin as need a nice dress watch. Not too many pre owned though. 

16 hours ago, IronJambo said:

Thank you, some nice watches from both companies you suggested. Am glad I asked as I would never of found these companies otherwise. I think i'll be spending the festive season looking into things more. 

Edited by jamb0_1874

On 25/08/2019 at 22:38, Taffin said:

Ive always wanted a grand Seiko or an Omega Seamaster but I've currently got a Seiko dive watch with with pepsi bezel which had really made me question why I want a more expensive watch. I love it, waterproof, time accurate and aesthetically pleasing.  But secretly I still long for the Seamaster.

It helps that I spent my watch money on q motorcycle and realised that's a LOT more fun but that ache for a nice watch never subsides

Still got the motorbike but annual bonus was decent so back hankering for a watch.

What is the general thinking on Tudor moving to in-house movement...a good or bad thing?

I like the Black Bay S&G but appreciate it's a bit of an acquired taste so will likely affect resale...and realistically I'd like something that will still have some residual value in case I ever needed to sell.

Always wanted a Seamaster but fancy something a bit less 'everyday' in terms of style as I'll likely still wear my Seiko to work etc as I'm quite clumsy

On 22/12/2019 at 11:27, jamb0_1874 said:

Thank you, some nice watches from both companies you suggested. Am glad I asked as I would never of found these companies otherwise. I think i'll be spending the festive season looking into things more. 

I wouldn't ignore Seiko either, they really do have some stunning dials and you can't fault their movements.

8 hours ago, IronJambo said:

I wouldn't ignore Seiko either, they really do have some stunning dials and you can't fault their movements.

My current everyday watch is a Seiko titanium kinetic and I love it. It's like am not wearing a watch due to the right of it.

1 hour ago, jamb0_1874 said:

Has anybody got want experience with Certina? Any good?

c032-410-44-081-00-ds-action-titanium-wristwatch-p11963-52850_medium.jpg

Nice watch but you can do better for less. Just buy a Seiko SKX007 and save £400. 

On 29/12/2019 at 22:15, NANOJAMBO said:

Nice watch but you can do better for less. Just buy a Seiko SKX007 and save £400. 

Am not sure I like the look of the Seiko as much but I get what you are saying.

On 29/12/2019 at 23:28, Carl Weathers said:

Thanks am going to have a look at some watches today, so will see if that one is there also.

Have seen this one

https://www.watches-of-switzerland.co.uk/Longines-Conquest-Mens-41mm-Quartz-Chronograph-Watch/p/17470256/

And this one from Christopher Ward, however their watches are online only so I'd just need to take a punt on it

https://www.christopherward.co.uk/watches/dive/c60-trident-gmt-600-mk3

22 minutes ago, jamb0_1874 said:

Thanks am going to have a look at some watches today, so will see if that one is there also.

Have seen this one

https://www.watches-of-switzerland.co.uk/Longines-Conquest-Mens-41mm-Quartz-Chronograph-Watch/p/17470256/

And this one from Christopher Ward, however their watches are online only so I'd just need to take a punt on it

The Longines one is a lot of money for a quartz imo. 

Carl Weathers

Longines do some nice Automatics in your price range. I have a Hydroconquest and really like it.

You're doing the right thing by taking your time and having a look. 

54 minutes ago, Carl Weathers said:

Longines do some nice Automatics in your price range. I have a Hydroconquest and really like it.

My favourite watch Longines. Older style the better.

Also have an older Tag and classic Movado watch.

Laings in Edinburgh have some classic "pre-loved" watches at reasonable prices.

2 hours ago, jamb0_1874 said:

Have seen this one

You can visit the Christopher Ward showroom in Maidenhead but I appreciate it's a stretch from Edinburgh. They're only a ten minute walk away from me. Decent solid watches. Easily returned if your ordered one and didn't like it, but it's hard to get a proper feel for a watch without seeing it in the flesh.

My last purchase was a CW. Probably won't get another, mostly because I want to buy an Explorer with the hope it'll be the last watch I buy.

lEaVghU.jpg

The Oris divers are lovely watches in the flesh. Most of the other things mentioned are a step up from the SKX’s. they are more of a cult thing I’d say. I’ve got one and while I like it it doesn’t have the quality of feel of decent Swiss pieces and certainly not the timekeeping ability as the movement is a bit basic to say the least. Also the lack of a sapphire crystal counts against them though you could get one fitted as there is a big industry around modding them. 

2 hours ago, jamb0_1874 said:

Have seen this one

As an afterthought, don't pay full price for a CW, there are nearly always voucher codes for £100 off and sometimes for 15% off. 

3 hours ago, NANOJAMBO said:

Want one , have the cash but the wife would kill me. 

That's why you buy a Rolex instead. You can rationalise it easier as it's just the same as cash in the bank. 

Bridge of Djoum
On 14/12/2019 at 12:07, Roxy Hearts said:

Buy a Rolex for life. Had mine since 1989.

Had my Analog Aqualand Promaster since 1992. Never a problem with it. I think I bought it for $300 in Singapore. 

A firm favorite with Navy SEALS, apparently.

Image result for citizen analog aqualand

9 hours ago, IronJambo said:

As an afterthought, don't pay full price for a CW, there are nearly always voucher codes for £100 off and sometimes for 15% off. 

Thanks, I'll look into this 

11 hours ago, Carl Weathers said:

Am not sure am much further forward other than I'll just end up going with one that I like and looks/fits my wrist well. I saw some hydroconquests today and they did look good. One of my problems is every other watch I saw was a little bit more expensive than the last and before I know it am looking at re adjusting my budget haha

1 hour ago, IronJambo said:

That's why you buy a Rolex instead. You can rationalise it easier as it's just the same as cash in the bank. 

Great investment but hideous looking watches. Dilema. 

10 minutes ago, NANOJAMBO said:

I’m not a huge Rolex fan but there is a pretty wide choice of looks. Personally I’d probably go for an Explorer or a day date. No interest in Subs or any of the sportier ones. 

8 hours ago, NANOJAMBO said:

A watch isn't an investment. It's nice that you'll probably never lose money on one, other than a possible small shortfall in the first couple of years. 

I'd agree that some aren't to all tastes but hideous is a bit strong.

Do you really think an Explorer is hideous? 

Not mine 98R7iSK.jpg

Seymour M Hersh
14 hours ago, Bridge of Djoum said:

Had my Analog Aqualand Promaster since 1992. Never a problem with it. I think I bought it for $300 in Singapore. 

A firm favorite with Navy SEALS, apparently.

Image result for citizen analog aqualand

More likely to find them using these.

G-Shock-DW-6900-review.png

GA100-G-Shock-1.png

GA100-G-Shock.png

Carl Weathers
14 hours ago, IronJambo said:

A watch isn't an investment. It's nice that you'll probably never lose money on one, other than a possible small shortfall in the first couple of years. 

I'd agree that some aren't to all tastes but hideous is a bit strong.

Do you really think an Explorer is hideous? 

Not mine 98R7iSK.jpg

Looks superb!

10 hours ago, Carl Weathers said:

Looks superb!

It's a shit really, in every sense it's my perfect watch. I've been trying to convince myself to buy a black bay (of whatever variety) as I really like them as well (whilst clearly more like a sub). I could then buy my wife a decent watch as well for the same cash as an Explorer. But I know I'm always going to come back wanting that same bloody watch at some point. Anything in between is going to be a waste of money.