Watches

jack D and coke

Am I the only person that doesn't like Breitling?

A classic Girard Perregaux would be just the job. I like IWC as well but just don't have the wrist (or budget) for them.

There's lots of models I don't like. But there's a few I do like.

Same with most brands?

What makes you dislike Breitling entirely?

• Replies 2.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Victorian

• Sten Guns

• cosanostra

• Tazio

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

jack D and coke

been some really good advice from knowledgable people on here, you started a great thread. It's helped me in my choice of watch :thumbsup:

Good man, what have you went for?

Edited by jack D and coke

I just find them a bit heavy handed and busy in design. Not just the flash divers and pilot style ones, even the ones less on them. Fine watches without a doubt in terms of movements and build quality but not my bag.

What makes you dislike Breitling entirely?

To make it easier to understand I was watching this on e-bay. Classic 1950's design. Annoyingly it went for ?200. A bargain if genuine.

Girard-01.jpg

To make it easier to understand I was watching this on e-bay. Classic 1950's design. Annoyingly it went for ?200. A bargain if genuine.

Girard-01.jpg

Yeah, fair enough.

Can see why Breitling isn't your bag then.

Nice man. Wee bit out of my price range though :lol:

always wanted a Rolex, I'm about to get some cash I wasn't expecting so if I don't buy it now I never will. Have you seen anything you fancy yet?

jack D and coke

always wanted a Rolex, I'm about to get some cash I wasn't expecting so if I don't buy it now I never will. Have you seen anything you fancy yet?

Changes regularly. At the moment I'm dipping in and out of this thread and having occasional browses online and in shops. I'll probably wait until the new year when I get my tax rebate and depending on what I get back rom the tax man I'll decide accordingly.

Captain_Peacock

I just find them a bit heavy handed and busy in design. Not just the flash divers and pilot style ones, even the ones less on them. Fine watches without a doubt in terms of movements and build quality but not my bag.

Just one point on that front, originally a lot of dive & pilot's watches were designed to be operated by a gloved hand & for this reason they are on the chunky side. In a lot of cases that original design concept has been diluted and the result is something more like akin to a dress watch than the original tool watch.

Captain_Peacock

A classic Girard Perregaux would be just the job. I like IWC as well but just don't have the wrist (or budget) for them.

Have you had a look at the Ingenieur, 40 mm x 10 mm ? http://www.iwc.com/en/collection/ingenieur/IW3239/

Can't help so much with the budget I'm afraid.

Captain_Peacock

Tazio I'm rather taken with the look of the vintage watch you posted. I can't offer any info on if it's genuine or not or the merit of the particular reference other than to say it's quite a looker.

It's really the IWC watches like the Portuguese that I like. The do a lot of the watches in normal sizes but it's that oversized look that suit them best.

Yes to IWC. The Portuguese or the Portofino, if I had a spare 10 grand...

:2thumbsup:

Captain_Peacock

It's really the IWC watches like the Portuguese that I like. The do a lot of the watches in normal sizes but it's that oversized look that suit them best.

Understood, for what it's worth I think you're right to avoid a watch that isn't in keeping with the size of your wrist (for me if the lugs "overhang" the wrist it's a no go).

I noticed that some watch makers (Sinn for example) have released smaller watches specifically for the Asian market where wrist sizes on average are smaller. I hope more follow that example.

Nice, think I will go for that next, probably not until next year though. Are you planning on buying it from iconic watches? If so, let me know how you get on, as they do seem to be the cheapest by miles.

Going up town this weekend to have a look and to see if they would price match, it depends how much more expensive it is, if there is a big difference I will go down to iconic watches shop which is in Preston, probably make a weekend of it and stay the night in Manchester or somewhere else close by. Wont be buying it until the beginning of next year tho, waiting on some cash Im due. :wink:

Captain_Peacock

One thing to keep in mind re Iconic watches is that they are a grey market source. They purchase from authorised dealers and then sell on to the consumer. A quick check of Rolex's official site shows that they are not registered as an authorised Rolex Dealer.

To some there is a value to purchasing direct from an AD to others it's not so important. I wouldn't want to give anybody the impression that their is anything shady about their watches or that they aren't legit as that's not my belief.

I did visit their premises in an effort to try on the Tudor Pelagos. I didn't realise that this could be done by appointment only but following that little excursion I can confirm that they do have bricks and mortar premises.

Edited by Captain_Peacock

Captain_Peacock

Going up town this weekend to have a look and to see if they would price match, it depends how much more expensive it is, if there is a big difference I will go down to iconic watches shop which is in Preston, probably make a weekend of it and stay the night in Manchester or somewhere else close by. Wont be buying it until the beginning of next year tho, waiting on some cash Im due. :wink:

I think that's a good policy & I've found that authorised dealers have been willing to discount.

Iconic Watches are in Blackburn btw, if you do go don't make the same mistake I did call and make an appointment 1st mate.

Nice one, let me know how you get on then, I'll probably not be looking to buy until around March/April next year.

One thing to keep in mind re Iconic watches is that they are a grey market source. They purchase from authorised dealers and then sell on to the consumer. A quick check of Rolex's official site shows that they are not registered as an authorised Rolex Dealer.

To some there is a value to purchasing direct from an AD to others it's not so important. I wouldn't want to give anybody the impression that their is anything shady about their watches or that they aren't legit as that's not my belief.

I did visit their premises in an effort to try on the Tudor Pelagos. I didn't realise that this could be done by appointment only but following that little excursion I can confirm that they do have bricks and mortar premises.

I think that's a good policy & I've found that authorised dealers have been willing to discount.

Iconic Watches are in Blackburn btw, if you do go don't make the same mistake I did call and make an appointment 1st mate.

Cheers for the info, :thumbsup:

Hopefully they wont be far away price wise from iconic and I dont have to go down to Blackburn.

If i do go down, i will email them in advance to make an appointment and make sure they have the watch in the shop.

Craig Gordons Gloves

I think it was Zico & agreed a great idea, what sort of budget did you have in mind?

Couple of grand at the very most. Looking for something that won't lose value and will still be good in 15 years time (and beyond obviously.

Craig Gordons Gloves

I bought a fake Breitling at the counterfeit market in Shanghai a couple of years ago, it's still working and keeping time well and looks the part. However, i can never seem to not tell people that it's fake, thus defeating the point imo.

Of course if you just want to impress people down the boozer you could by from this refreshingly honest website.

http://www.replicapr....com/index.html

Tazio, you seem to favour the more simple and classic design. Not into heavy dive lumps, more a fan of an open faced type of watch. I'm also detecting that you might have some scepticism for the merits of the more obvious, flashy type of luxury watch?

Have you had a proper scan of the market for Fliegers? There is an ever growing market for lower-mid market luxury watches and micro-brand / boutique brand pieces. Lots of them are using respected Swiss movements. There is quite a range of average sized pilot watches through to much bigger ones. Have a look at Fortis, Hamilton and Steinhart, among many others.

Hamilton watches have separated themselves a bit from the mainstream by using Valjoux movements. They have an extensive range of divers, Fliegers and dress pieces. It's certainly one of the most respected non-Swiss heritage makers in the watch freak world.

Sorry, meant to add Glycine into the mix. They have some great watches. I once had a Combat Sub model and it was a lot of watch for the money involved. As well as this type of ubiquitous Submariner style of watch, they also have Fliegers and dressier sorts. The Airman range is especially attractive.

Hamilton, Glycine and Fortis are exactly the type of maker to consider if one is hesitant about wearing one of the more obvious luxury brands.

Captain_Peacock

Couple of grand at the very most. Looking for something that won't lose value and will still be good in 15 years time (and beyond obviously.

2K for two watches, or 2K each?

Are you looking for two different watches or do you intend to purchase the same type watch for both children? I could see arguments in the future about who got the best watch if they don't get the same given their birth dates are so close.

Craig Gordons Gloves

2K for two watches, or 2K each?

Are you looking for two different watches or do you intend to purchase the same type watch for both children? I could see arguments in the future about who got the best watch if they don't get the same given their birth dates are so close.

2K max per watch - and yes, most likely the same.

Captain_Peacock

2K max per watch - and yes, most likely the same.

That gives us something to work with, given that you want 2009 / 2010 watches I'm assumed you were considering pre-owned. Would you prefer dress watches or a sports watch, well known brand or something under the radar?

Craig Gordons Gloves

That gives us something to work with, given that you want 2009 / 2010 watches I'm assumed you were considering pre-owned. Would you prefer dress watches or a sports watch, well known brand or something under the radar?

yup - preowned, brand wise - one that will last so not worried about it being well known but needs to be classic if that makes sense and dress watches.

Thanks Captain!

Captain_Peacock

Craig Gordon's gloves a couple of main stream ideas (tried to be conservative rather than left of field). What do you think? If you want something more of a dress watch or a less well known brand please let me know & I'll see what elese I can turn up.

Any pros / cons or alternatives from other board members are welcomed, lets see if we can land Craig Gordon's gloves kids a pair of decent watches.

Starter for 10 below.

Omega Seamaster Auto 2009 (my favourite version of the SM) listed as in mint condition with box & papers ?1795 http://www.chrono24.com/en/omega/seamaster-300m-chronometer-41-mm-collectors-watch--id2590768.htm?query=omega+seamaster+2009&suchen=Search&dosearch=true&searchexplain=1&resultview=list&dosearch=true&urlSubpath=/search/index.htm

Omega Speedmaster Pro Moonwatch 2009, listed as mint with box and papers ?1920 http://www.chrono24.com/en/omega/speedmaster-professional-moonwatch-ref-35705000--id2570948.htm?dosearch=true&query=omega+speedmaster+2009&resultview=list&searchexplain=1&showpage=2&suchen=Search&dosearch=true&urlSubpath=/search/index.htm

Captain_Peacock

yup - preowned, brand wise - one that will last so not worried about it being well known but needs to be classic if that makes sense and dress watches.

Thanks Captain!

Answered before I read your earlier post, couple of classic designs offered above but also a well known brand. Let me know what you think about the suggestions offered, your commments should guide myself and hopefully others in terms of offering further suggestions.

Edited by Captain_Peacock

Captain_Peacock

Another to be considered just over your budget, a bit more of a dress watch. IWC Porofino 2009, listed as mint condition ?2066 http://www.chrono24.com/en/iwc/portofino-automatic--id2592008.htm?query=iwc+portofino+2009&suchen=Search&dosearch=true&searchexplain=1&resultview=list&dosearch=true&urlSubpath=/search/index.htm

Also Sinn 756 Diapal, a bit more toolish & less dress but there you go, listed as in mint condition with box and papers ?1795 http://www.chrono24.com/en/sinn/756-diapal-gmt-chronograph-box-papiere--id2539060.htm?query=sinn+2010&suchen=Search&dosearch=true&searchexplain=true&resultview=list&dosearch=true&urlSubpath=/search/index.htm

I think you might be able to get a Zenith Elite Ultra thin or at a stretch Nomos Zurich (photos below) within budget, had a look around but couldn't find one for sale at the minute with right year of build, box & papers, mint condition.

img2034sd.jpg

mt_z_07.jpg

I'll leave it at that for now or I'll be posting away various watches to myself all night.

Tazio, you seem to favour the more simple and classic design. Not into heavy dive lumps, more a fan of an open faced type of watch. I'm also detecting that you might have some scepticism for the merits of the more obvious, flashy type of luxury watch?

That's a pretty accurate diagnosis. I do like Hamiltons, they are nicely unknown but very classy. I also like the more obscure old companies like Roamer. My main dress watch is a very plain white faced Longines I got for my 21st that I picked myself. No date or second hand, and a leather strap. Pretty amazing considering it was the 80's. The last two watches that Cpt Peacok posted are right up my street, especially the 2nd one.

Even though I would love a Rolex my taste extends to the 1950s very plain ones and not what most people perceive as a Rolex.

Like everything it's all up to personal taste, I don't find Rolex watches anything special. I do like a breitling but can admire watches like IWC & Jaeger le-coultre.

http://www.jaeger-lecoultre.com/GB/en/watches/duometre-a-quantieme-lunaire-405/6042521

Captain_Peacock

[/size]

The last two watches that Cpt Peacok posted are right up my street, especially the 2nd one.

I've tried to post a bit of mixed bag to try and find out what type of thing CGG likes (well known brand, dress / tool /diver, vintage). It'd be great to hear the opinions of others re the watches posted up, it would be healthy to have all these options challenged.

[/size]

That's a pretty accurate diagnosis. I do like Hamiltons, they are nicely unknown but very classy. I also like the more obscure old companies like Roamer. My main dress watch is a very plain white faced Longines I got for my 21st that I picked myself. No date or second hand, and a leather strap. Pretty amazing considering it was the 80's. The last two watches that Cpt Peacok posted are right up my street, especially the 2nd one.

Even though I would love a Rolex my taste extends to the 1950s very plain ones and not what most people perceive as a Rolex.

You can easily expect to pick up a vintage Oysterdate, Oyster perpetual, Air King or similar for circa ?700 through to ?1,500 or so. I had an Oysterdate a while back but it was ( like most vintage watches ) too small for my taste.

Here's one for the likes of you, CP and whoever else. If you're into classy looking vintage pieces, have a look at the 'tuning fork' market. The likes of Bulova, Omega mainly, as well as Longines, Tissot and a variety of others used to make 'tuning fork' electronic watches before the advent of quartz. Commonly known as 'hummers'. You have a watch that runs off a battery but has a smooth sweeping second hand.... much smoother than any automatic movement. There are some great hummers to be had from about ?200 upwards. I've had some nice ones myself.

Captain_Peacock

You can easily expect to pick up a vintage Oysterdate, Oyster perpetual, Air King or similar for circa ?700 through to ?1,500 or so. I had an Oysterdate a while back but it was ( like most vintage watches ) too small for my taste.

Here's one for the likes of you, CP and whoever else. If you're into classy looking vintage pieces, have a look at the 'tuning fork' market. The likes of Bulova, Omega mainly, as well as Longines, Tissot and a variety of others used to make 'tuning fork' electronic watches before the advent of quartz. Commonly known as 'hummers'. You have a watch that runs off a battery but has a smooth sweeping second hand.... much smoother than any automatic movement. There are some great hummers to be had from about ?200 upwards. I've had some nice ones myself.

That I never new, every day's a school day on kickback :thumbs_up:

That I never new, every day's a school day on kickback :thumbs_up:

Oh it's a whole new world of watches. :D

They're called hummers because they actually emit a faint humming sound as the tuning fork oscillates in the movement. The most common type is the f300Hz. It was make by Bulova and licensed out to Omega and the other makers. Omega then went on to develop their own 32KHz version. The Megasonic movement.

There are some smashing watches in this genre.

Edited by Col. Robert Neville M.D.

The Tuning Fork mechanism was a Bulova invention and patent and is still the logo on their winders. They were in the running for the watches on the moon landings but couldn't (or wouldn't) give the guarantee on the watch seals that Omega offered so were overlooked. I'm not sure Bulova ever really recovered from the excesses of 1970's design trends. Shame as they made some beautiful watches. Though bizarrely they were announced as the "official timekeeper of Manchester United" a couple of weeks ago. And I'm sure there's a joke in there about them always running slow.

Edited by Tazio

The Tuning Fork mechanism was a Bulova invention and patent and is still the logo on their winders. They were in the running for the watches on the moon landings but shouldn't (or wouldn't) give the guarantee on the watch seals that Omega offered so were overlooked. I'm not sure Bulova ever really recovered from the excesses of 1970's design trends. Shame as they made some beautiful watches. Though bizarrely they were announced as the "official timekeeper of Manchester United" a couple of weeks ago. And I'm sure there's a joke in there about them always running slow.

Yeah a shame really. They developed what went on to become an iconic innovation but didn't really reap the benefits. You still see many Bulova Accutrons and such like for sale but the Omega ones are much more common. Very difficult and expensive to repair if wonky though.

Captain_Peacock

[/size]

The last two watches that Cpt Peacok posted are right up my street, especially the 2nd one.

If you wanted to see one in the flesh Hamilton & Inches on Geroge Street sell Nomos, they also sell Zenith http://www.hamiltonandinches.com/stores/hamilton-inches-edinburgh/ (I realise I'm assuming your in Edinburgh, if that's not the case apologies).

10:10 in watch advertisements.

Anyone ever notice that?

Yeah, I'm sure Dave Gorman had something about that in one of his shows.

I believe the reason given is because it tends to 'frame' the branding.

Did you ever buy a new piece Sten? Or even settle on one?

I've almost made my decision but I reckon i'll wait until January and see if I can get it cheaper anywhere.

Really like this one.

http://www.omegawatches.com/collection/seamaster/aqua-terra-150-m/co-axial-415-mm/23113422102002

Still not settled on one I like.

Keep changing my mind.

I'm 30 in June so got a wee while yet.

Think I'll need the time. :lol:

Nice Omega that. I really like the planet ocean chrono.

232.30.46.51.01.001-1.jpg