Watches

jack D and coke

Sorry to reply yet again Jytees, I'd been under the impression the Colt was considered the "entry" level watch in the range & that the Superocean was considered to be further up the pecking order. I could however be wrong on that score as I'm not up to speed on all things Breitling, there seems to be a few fans of the brand here who I'm sure will set the story straight.

If it was me, I'd go for the mechanical movement but as I said before your watch, your choice.

Out of interest is your current Tag Heur quartz?

*Edited to add the Heur as I know that doesn't go down well here*

The Colt 44 is one of the cheaper Breitling watches at around ?2K+ with the Superocean 44 coming in around ?2.6K+. The Colt is Quartz and the Superoceans are mostly automatic.

• Replies 2.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Victorian

• Sten Guns

• cosanostra

• Tazio

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Captain_Peacock

The Colt 44 is one of the cheaper Breitling watches at around ?2K+ with the Superocean 44 coming in around ?2.6K+. The Colt is Quartz and the Superoceans are mostly automatic.

I knew kickback would have the answer.

I'd assumed from memory that the Colt was their "entry" level watch, also I remember in the past automatic version of the Colt. Do they now only offer superquartz versions of the Colt (Chrono II, 44 & 33 all seem to be quartz)?

Yep, all the Colts are SuperQuartz. No Automatic Colts. The Superocean is mainly automatic (M200 Chrono is Quartz) and the Avenger range is all automatic.

Captain_Peacock

Yep, all the Colts are SuperQuartz. No Automatic Colts. The Superocean is mainly automatic (M200 Chrono is Quartz) and the Avenger range is all automatic.

Any idea why they stopped producing automatic colts?

Any idea why they stopped producing automatic colts?

Not really. A lot of the movements in the lower ranges are generic swiss movements. Only the high end Breitlings have 'Breitling' movements. They seem to change the range every 2-3 years as well.

A quality automatic watch will have a power reserve of between 48 & 72 hours. You can buy auto winder storage units if you don't intend to wear it every day.

cheers for the info :thumbsup:

I knew kickback would have the answer.

I'd assumed from memory that the Colt was their "entry" level watch, also I remember in the past automatic version of the Colt. Do they now only offer superquartz versions of the Colt (Chrono II, 44 & 33 all seem to be quartz)

Have a look at the Omega moonwatch range.

The one with the moonphase complication looks amazing.

Really iconic watch range.

Captain_Peacock

Not really. A lot of the movements in the lower ranges are generic swiss movements. Only the high end Breitlings have 'Breitling' movements. They seem to change the range every 2-3 years as well.

Were the Colt automatic movements ETA or modified ETA's & if so do you think they stopped because they feared they'd become harder to get hold of in the future?

Have a look at the Omega moonwatch range.

The one with the moonphase complication looks amazing.

Really iconic watch range.

Agreed, some self restraint is required. If I purchased every watch I like I'd soon be in the poor house.

That new Colt model is a great looking watch but it's one of the very few that seem to have departed from looking like a Breitling, if you know what I mean. It's a bit generic looking for me. My Superocean II looks like a generic submariner in the head but it's got the very distinctive Breitling bracelet. For my money, I think a Breitling has to look like Breitlings have always done. It's just that sort of watch maker IMO.

That's not to 'diss' your Colt because it's a very nice watch.

I will echo what CP said about auto vs quartz. There's nothing wrong with spending sizable money on a quartz watch but the automatic will always hold value better. I have a ?1000+ quartz watch myself - A TAG Heuer - but it's a fairly rare model and has held very good residual value. Spending a couple of grand on a mass market quartz will invariably lead to greater depreciation I think.

Ideally, mid market or higher end automatic watches employing in-house movements will hold their value better than those employing catalogue movements. The Breitling I have has a basic ETA movement but Breitling tweak them to a certain extent to make them of a higher grade. The advantage of this is that the watches are easier and cheaper to service.

Great info Captain and Col. and much appreciated.

The Colt I have my eye on is ?2280 and the Superocean ?2980. My budget was 2K but the more I'm hearing and reading, the more I'm being swayed towards the Superocean, which puts me in a bit of a quandary! Do I try and cash in on my Tag "Heuer" to put something towards the Superocean, keep the Tag Heuer and wait a wee bit longer for the Superocean or keep the Tag Heuer, haggle and get the Colt for the 2K I've budgeted for? Pretty sure I could squeeze 10% out of the jewelers.

The Tag I have is a quartz incidentally. Decent condition like I said earlier. At the time of purchase cost me ?1500. Any idea what the going rate would be in the second hand market?

Edited by JyTees

Looking on the Ernest Jones site the description for both the Colt and the Superocean are automatic movements. I know after checking the Breitling site that the Colt is Superquartz and the Superocean selfwinding mechanical. What's the term "Automatic" doing popping up in the description?

Captain_Peacock

Looking on the Ernest Jones site the description for both the Colt and the Superocean are automatic movements. I know after checking the Breitling site that the Colt is Superquartz and the Superocean selfwinding mechanical. What's the term "Automatic" doing popping up in the description?

I think you're on the money re the movement in the Colt, I'd discount anything listed on the Ernest Jones website which contradicts the info you have from Breitling.

Captain_Peacock

The Colt I have my eye on is ?2280 and the Superocean ?2980. My budget was 2K but the more I'm hearing and reading, the more I'm being swayed towards the Superocean, which puts me in a bit of a quandary! Do I try and cash in on my Tag "Heuer" to put something towards the Superocean, keep the Tag Heuer and wait a wee bit longer for the Superocean or keep the Tag Heuer, haggle and get the Colt for the 2K I've budgeted for? Pretty sure I could squeeze 10% out of the jewelers.

The Tag I have is a quartz incidentally. Decent condition like I said earlier. At the time of purchase cost me ?1500. Any idea what the going rate would be in the second hand market?

First thing my advice is absolutely request a discount from the retailer, I'd only do this when I was sure I want the watch & I'd inform the retailer that if a price agreement could be reached that I'd purchase on the spot. A quick search on watch forums shows that 10% discounts from Breitling dealers seems achievable although not on all models (Breitling Bently seems tough to get a discount on), 10% and perhaps even a little more looks a decent starting point.

I would buy the watch you really want & not settle for 2nd best. Many end up trading 2nd best in time to finance the one they really wanted initially. I'd save for the one you want, if that means waiting so be it, gives you time to do some research and ensure you get the watch you want under the best terms possible.

In terms of the value of your watch that's tough, much will depend on the condition of the watch. Do you have original box & papers? When was it last serviced & was that done by the original manufacturer, do you have receipts for the service work?

If you have the watch model number / ref you could enter it in the watchuseek.com private sellers search engine. The results should give you an idea what other private sellers price expectation for the watch is if you were to sell person to person rather than person to retailer. It has to be said that when buying 2nd hand a key piece of advice is "buy the seller not only the watch", those selling on that forum with many good trades behind them and a demonstrable positive selling history would expect to achieve a higher selling price over a seller with no previous positive references.

Link to watchuseek private sellers forum here http://forums.watchuseek.com/f29/ , if you struggle navigating the search function post up your watch ref / model number & I'll have a look for you.

Best of luck.

Captain_Peacock

Absolutely major time in love with this.

http://www.iconicwat...21-ba93-ss.html

The misses is off to New York in February.

Do you think it could be bought cheaper?

If you've already considered the physical size of the watch please forgive my comments below, thought I should mention it just in case you hadn't.

It's quite a lump at 47mm diameter. If you have the wrist diameter to carry it off no problem but I'd say that if you haven't given the case size some thought it's worth thinking about prior to purchase.

I'd try the watch on and see how it looks before parting with my hard earned, you could do that locally. Iconic watches do have a bricks and mortar "shop" all be it in Blackburn & they will allow potential buyers to make a visit and try the watch on (you need to make an appointment 1st, something Chris Wood can arrange for you).

If you've already considered the physical size of the watch please forgive my comments below, thought I should mention it just in case you hadn't.

It's quite a lump at 47mm diameter. If you have the wrist diameter to carry it off no problem but I'd say that if you haven't given the case size some thought it's worth thinking about prior to purchase.

I'd try the watch on and see how it looks before parting with my hard earned, you could do that locally. Iconic watches do have a bricks and mortar "shop" all be it in Blackburn & they will allow potential buyers to make a visit and try the watch on (you need to make an appointment 1st, something Chris Wood can arrange for you).

It has crossed my mind.

The Navitimer 01 at 43mm may well be more suitable, but at almost a grand more, it's damn annoying. Especially when they're very similar to look at. (To me anyway)

I would definitely try it on before purchasing. Be crazy not too.

(I've tried on a chunky TW Steel at 48mm before and it was fine)

Edited by Sten Guns

As mentioned before, you can get about 18% discount at duty free in any UK airport (that has a fine watch dealer) London Heathrow has a Watches of Switzerland in T1, T4 and possible T5. You don't even need to be travelling internationally.

I got mine at WoS in T4 and I even phoned them in advance to order the exact model and spec I wanted. I saved about ?800 on RRP.

In answer to other questions, I was offered $300 on my 10 year old $900 Tag Heuer at Tourneu in NYC. I chose not to trade-in.The Brietling I was after was about 20% cheaper than the UK RRP and that was when the dollar was at 1.5. With the current exchange rate expect to save around 25% in the USA.

Captain_Peacock

It has crossed my mind.

The Navitimer 01 at 43mm may well be more suitable, but at almost a grand more, it's damn annoying. Especially when they're very similar to look at. (To me anyway)

OK sounds like you're able to carry off similar, I think Iconic watches would need to have the watch in stock for you to arrange a try on, not sure if that's the case.

It has crossed my mind.

I went for the 44mm Avenger, which is a big chunk of watch. I could have got the 48mm Super Avenger for the same price, but felt it was just too big on my wrist, and btw, I am over 6ft and weigh 15st!!

Sten... That's a great looking piece. Have you had a look at superocean chronos? Similarly styled and quite a bit less cash.

I quite like the Superocean Heritage, but the strap is off putting. :(

As for the superocean chronograph, they're nice too but they don't make me go WOW.

The Navitimer / Cosmonaute / Montbrilliant are my favorites though. Absolutely love them.

I think if i bought a Superocean I'd always wish i'd waited and saved up more.

When the other half goes to New York I'll get her to check how much that Montbrillant is.

Quite concerned about 47mm after comments though. Goldsmiths sell them, wonder if Ocean T has one to try on.

A couple of questions for some folk on here, 1. What is the point of the rubber bracket on something like a breitling? I can't figure out why you would spend that amount of money on a watch for it to have a plastic/rubber bracelet.

2. What's your take on wind up watches? I bought one recently and I'm a bit wary of how good the time keeping of it is. Tbf I'm not wearing it regularly.

Captain_Peacock

A couple of questions for some folk on here, 1. What is the point of the rubber bracket on something like a breitling? I can't figure out why you would spend that amount of money on a watch for it to have a plastic/rubber bracelet.

Generally rubber / silicone straps are used on dive watches because of they way stand up to exposure to sea water. I think many manufacturers suggest stainless steel bracelets should be rinsed with fresh water following exposure to sea water (I realise there are exceptions to this with some exotic S/S, Sinn U Boat steel for example).

Also they have a degree of "give", which is a bonus when your wrist expands / contracts due to change in temp (winter / summer, or even changes in temp as you descend / ascend whilst diving) or due to change in pressure (again when diving)

Rolex won't offer silicone / rubber straps because they feel it's not in keeping with a prestige brand, other "prestige" watch companies see the merits of the material and are willing to offer watches with this type of strap (including Rolex's sister company Tudor).

Edited by Captain_Peacock

Captain_Peacock

2. What's your take on wind up watches? I bought one recently and I'm a bit wary of how good the time keeping of it is. Tbf I'm not wearing it regularly.

No universal answer I'm afraid, depends on the movement.

Looking to but myself a decent watch seeing I've got a spare few quid lying about from my birthday a few months back. Anybody got any good links to anywhere? I guess roundabout the ?500 mark.

Cheers.

just wondering, did you ever get a watch :uhoh2:

Generally rubber / silicone straps are used on dive watches because of they way stand up to exposure to sea water. I think many manufacturers suggest stainless steel bracelets should be rinsed with fresh water following exposure to sea water (I realise there are exceptions to this with some exotic S/S, Sinn U Boat steel for example).

Also they have a degree of "give", which is a bonus when your wrist expands / contracts due to change in temp (winter / summer, or even changes in temp as you descend / ascend whilst diving) or due to change in pressure (again when diving)

Rolex won't offer silicone / rubber straps because they feel it's not in keeping with a prestige brand, other "prestige" watch companies see the merits of the material and are willing to offer watches with this type of strap (including Rolex's sister company Tudor).

Cheers, that makes senses.

Captain_Peacock

Cheers, that makes senses.

For me it's about the material that makes the most sense, Patek offer the Aquanaut on rubber & if it's good enough for them I'll live with it.

Lots of people including the people at the top at Rolex would agree with your comment on the subject earlier on the thread.

I quite like the Superocean Heritage, but the strap is off putting. :(

As for the superocean chronograph, they're nice too but they don't make me go WOW.

The Navitimer / Cosmonaute / Montbrilliant are my favorites though. Absolutely love them.

I think if i bought a Superocean I'd always wish i'd waited and saved up more.

When the other half goes to New York I'll get her to check how much that Montbrillant is.

Quite concerned about 47mm after comments though. Goldsmiths sell them, wonder if Ocean T has one to try on.

It all depends on the particular watch. Sometimes a large sounding watch ( by width ) actually wears quite compactly and sometimes an average width watch will wear a bit large. Always try to take a close look at the lug-to-lug dimension as well as the height. Some watches have short, stubby lugs that allow the overall size of the watch to wear smaller than it might. A watch with longer and straightish lugs will wear larger. I have always thought that the short, stubby lugs is more attractive.

The height can be equally as important. The full size Omega Seamaster Professional as an example is just over 40mm or so in width but wears very small due to it being low profile. Some of the bigger Breitlings have huge heft due to being very tall.

A diver with a big chunky bezel can add extra presence. Some are quite discreet and some are well in your face. An open faced, non-bezel type of watch like most Fliegers has a different look altogether. Most modern Fliegers are quite big but don't wear particularly big. There are quite a few parameters to take into account.

First thing my advice is absolutely request a discount from the retailer, I'd only do this when I was sure I want the watch & I'd inform the retailer that if a price agreement could be reached that I'd purchase on the spot. A quick search on watch forums shows that 10% discounts from Breitling dealers seems achievable although not on all models (Breitling Bently seems tough to get a discount on), 10% and perhaps even a little more looks a decent starting point.

I would buy the watch you really want & not settle for 2nd best. Many end up trading 2nd best in time to finance the one they really wanted initially. I'd save for the one you want, if that means waiting so be it, gives you time to do some research and ensure you get the watch you want under the best terms possible.

In terms of the value of your watch that's tough, much will depend on the condition of the watch. Do you have original box & papers? When was it last serviced & was that done by the original manufacturer, do you have receipts for the service work?

If you have the watch model number / ref you could enter it in the watchuseek.com private sellers search engine. The results should give you an idea what other private sellers price expectation for the watch is if you were to sell person to person rather than person to retailer. It has to be said that when buying 2nd hand a key piece of advice is "buy the seller not only the watch", those selling on that forum with many good trades behind them and a demonstrable positive selling history would expect to achieve a higher selling price over a seller with no previous positive references.

Link to watchuseek private sellers forum here http://forums.watchuseek.com/f29/ , if you struggle navigating the search function post up your watch ref / model number & I'll have a look for you.

Best of luck.

It's a 6000 series.

tag-heuer-6000-ta11997.jpg

Obviously mine isn't quite as shiny and new looking! :)

It was serviced once by Tag the first time I needed the battery changed, the second time was a place at Roseburn as I wasn't really prepared to pay Tag Heuer's hefty charge. In hindsight, probably a mistake considering what I know now! Don't think I have any receipts for the service but I still have the box, warranty card and everything else the watch came with.

I'd be interested to know what it's worth but I don't think I'm going to bother selling it. Think I'm just going to hang on a bit, take more time over it and have the extra readies if need be. Was thinking about a Christmas treat but it can wait till my birthday now. March aint that far away! Liking some of the Omega's now as well. The more I look, the harder it gets!

Thanks again Captain! :thumbsup:

Captain_Peacock

It's a 6000 series.

I've just had a look to see what I can see which is similar, so this is far from an accurate valuation (more a finger in the air job).

1 on ebay listed as in "excellent condition", buy it now price ?309 watch ref (WH1111-K1)

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Tag-Heuer-Professional-6000-Series-WH1111-K1-Men-200M-Diver-Watch-42mm-/360796647408?pt=Wristwatches&hash=item540127eff0

1 Similar, different colour dial on Chrono 24, condition listed as fine for ?355 watch ref (WH1112) http://www.chrono24.com/en/tagheuer/series-6000-professional--id2499102.htm?query=tag+6000&suchen=Search&dosearch=true&searchexplain=true&resultview=list&SETLANG=en_GB&SETCURR=GBP&dosearch=true&urlSubpath=/search/index.htm

Couldn't find anything recent on watchuseek private sales forum.

Craig Gordons Gloves

This thread is great -and i'm hoping that the experts on here can answer a couple of questions.

1) The missus has expressed interest in the Rolex Datejust ii - any thoughts on this would be appreciated (it's her 40th in just under 2 years so it would be a while away anyway and i couldn't buy it now anyway).

2) I'm sure i read someone on here saying that they had purchased pre-owned watches for thier kids for the years they were born - i think this is a phenomenal idea and i'd love to do it for my 2 so that they don't fight over my Longines when i'm gone. However - both of them were born relatively recently - 2009 and 2010 - any suggestions on a classic/good watch that could be bought preowned for those years that may hold it's value? I appreciate that's a difficult one to answer but any help/points in the right direction would be much appreciated.

I've just had a look to see what I can see which is similar, so this is far from an accurate valuation (more a finger in the air job).

1 on ebay listed as in "excellent condition", buy it now price ?309 watch ref (WH1111-K1)

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Tag-Heuer-Professional-6000-Series-WH1111-K1-Men-200M-Diver-Watch-42mm-/360796647408?pt=Wristwatches&hash=item540127eff0

1 Similar, different colour dial on Chrono 24, condition listed as fine for ?355 watch ref (WH1112) http://www.chrono24.com/en/tagheuer/series-6000-professional--id2499102.htm?query=tag+6000&suchen=Search&dosearch=true&searchexplain=true&resultview=list&SETLANG=en_GB&SETCURR=GBP&dosearch=true&urlSubpath=/search/index.htm

Couldn't find anything recent on watchuseek private sales forum.

That cheap! Defo holding onto it then!

Christopher Ward watches were mentioned earlier on the thread. They're running a promotion this weekend, 15% off the 42 Trident series. Enter code TRIDENT15 in the discount code field (don't forget to hit the "apply code" icon).

http://www.christopherward.co.uk/men/dive/c60-tri.html

I'm wearing mine today actually.

That's a great deal btw

Captain_Peacock

This thread is great -and i'm hoping that the experts on here can answer a couple of questions.

1) The missus has expressed interest in the Rolex Datejust ii - any thoughts on this would be appreciated (it's her 40th in just under 2 years so it would be a while away anyway and i couldn't buy it now anyway).

2) I'm sure i read someone on here saying that they had purchased pre-owned watches for thier kids for the years they were born - i think this is a phenomenal idea and i'd love to do it for my 2 so that they don't fight over my Longines when i'm gone. However - both of them were born relatively recently - 2009 and 2010 - any suggestions on a classic/good watch that could be bought preowned for those years that may hold it's value? I appreciate that's a difficult one to answer but any help/points in the right direction would be much appreciated.

I think it was Zico & agreed a great idea, what sort of budget did you have in mind?

That cheap! Defo holding onto it then!

Sorry, that's just the result of a quick look around by no means definitive.

I'm wearing mine today actually.

That's a great deal btw

They're great value for money in my opinion even before the discount.

Christopher Ward watches were mentioned earlier on the thread. They're running a promotion this weekend, 15% off the 42 Trident series. Enter code TRIDENT15 in the discount code field (don't forget to hit the "apply code" icon).

http://www.christoph...ve/c60-tri.html

Hadn't looked at Christopher Ward watches before (got to be honest, not being particularly well versed in watches I'd never heard of the brand before this thread), but just spent the last half hour looking at some of the watches and quite like the look of the chronograph mk II. Had a quick google and seen there is also a promotional code kicking about for a 10% discount off everything, 'CW10'. Its got me tempted to buy it, as its not particularly expensive relative to the previous watches I mentioned I fancied getting earlier in this thread.

As I said, I hadn't heard of the brand prior to this thread, so before I jump in a spend a few hundred ? on a watch, I just want to see if folk think its worth the money?

This is the one I like here:

http://www.christopherward.co.uk/men/dress/c3sss-mk2.html

Absolutely worth the money. I've got 5 with the 6th on its way.

Great build quality and the warranty you get lasts for either 3 or 5 years. The customer service is fantastic.

We got my mate that model for his birthday (but on brown leather).

There is a Christopher Ward forum that has some great real life pictures http://www.christopherwardforum.com/viewtopic.php?f=58&t=8852

Edited by TheMaganator

Captain_Peacock

jvm32 CW watches seem to me to be great value & their reputation is strong. The brand is well regarded amongst many watch enthusiasts.

TheMaganator is on his 6th & that in itself speaks volumes.

Just a personnel opinon, if you can stretch to an automatic version it's worth considering.

Edited by Captain_Peacock

Excellent, cheers for that, think I'll make the purchase then.

Just getting in to watches, so hopefully this will be the first of a few more to come.

Just a personnel opinon, if you can stretch to an automatic version it's worth considering.

After a bit of reading I did look in to that, but I much prefer the look of the quartz versions, there isn't a like for like automatic version, the only automatic ones which are similar I don't like the bracelet on, and I much prefer the face on the quartz version also. It would be nice to have the same watch with automatic movement, but It doesn't seem like they do it.

Edited by jvm32

Hadn't looked at Christopher Ward watches before (got to be honest, not being particularly well versed in watches I'd never heard of the brand before this thread), but just spent the last half hour looking at some of the watches and quite like the look of the chronograph mk II. Had a quick google and seen there is also a promotional code kicking about for a 10% discount off everything, 'CW10'. Its got me tempted to buy it, as its not particularly expensive relative to the previous watches I mentioned I fancied getting earlier in this thread.

As I said, I hadn't heard of the brand prior to this thread, so before I jump in a spend a few hundred ? on a watch, I just want to see if folk think its worth the money?

This is the one I like here:

http://www.christoph.../c3sss-mk2.html

must admit that looks nice, good positive feedback regarding the make on here from people ITK as well :thumbsup:

Captain_Peacock

jvm32 my knowledge of CW watches is general only, I think it's worth using the forum TheMaganator posted up which I'm sure will be stacked with good info. I'm pretty certain there are people on there with a detailed knowledge of all the particular models and will be able to give you the pro's & con's for each watch.

jvm32 my knowledge of CW watches is general only, I think it's worth using the forum TheMaganator posted up which I'm sure will be stacked with good info. I'm pretty certain there are people on there with a detailed knowledge of all the particular models and will be able to give you the pro's & con's for each watch.

Cheers, been looking through the forum this morning and its definitely made my mind up, so I'm gonna go for it.

Captain_Peacock

Cheers, been looking through the forum this morning and its definitely made my mind up, so I'm gonna go for it.

Post some photos of the watch on the CW forum when you receive it, I'm sure it will be appreciated. Sounds like you've caught the bug, good luck.

Post some photos of the watch on the CW forum when you receive it, I'm sure it will be appreciated. Sounds like you've caught the bug, good luck.

Aye, definitely caught the bug. Been something I've wanted to to get in to for a few years now, so thought it was about time I started purchasing some nice watches.

jack D and coke

just wondering, did you ever get a watch :uhoh2:

Not yet mate. I was probably likely to have bought one of the fashion type watches but I've been put off them now and I'm going to save up a bit more and get something proper. I dip in and out of this thread to see what people are talking about to get bits of advice too. Some peoples knowledge on watches is great.

Am I the only person that doesn't like Breitling?

A classic Girard Perregaux would be just the job. I like IWC as well but just don't have the wrist (or budget) for them.

Not yet mate. I was probably likely to have bought one of the fashion type watches but I've been put off them now and I'm going to save up a bit more and get something proper. I dip in and out of this thread to see what people are talking about to get bits of advice too. Some peoples knowledge on watches is great.

been some really good advice from knowledgable people on here, you started a great thread. It's helped me in my choice of watch :thumbsup: