Top Posters In This Topic

• Victorian

• Sten Guns

• cosanostra

• Tazio

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Captain_Peacock

Why would anyone spend good money to buy an expensive watch that looks cheap?

Not sure it's quite the same thing but I'm in the understated over bling camp.

TamaramaHearts

Great thread!

Bit of a watch nut myself. Have the Tag Formula 1 and tag grand carrera calibre 36. Both very nice.

Recently invested in a classic style Patek Phillipe watch, blue face, black strap and automatic. An absolute masterpiece of a watch.

Not sure it's quite the same thing but I'm in the understated over bling camp.

I had an inexpensive watch for years. Looked fine, not costly, but of great sentimental value. I had it for almost 25 years until it had a profound accident that damaged it beyond repair. I don't wear a watch these days.

Understated is the key for me, though. I must do a search later and find a photo or two of what I'd consider worth spending serious money on.

Great thread!

Bit of a watch nut myself. Have the Tag Formula 1 and tag grand carrera calibre 36. Both very nice.

Recently invested in a classic style Patek Phillipe watch, blue face, black strap and automatic. An absolute masterpiece of a watch.

Nice!

Can you post a pic of it?

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/GENTS-STAINLESS-STEEL-ROLEX-GMT-MASTER-PEPSI-OYSTER-PERPETUAL-WRISTWATCH-1675-/331059689827

Here's a link to a good condition 2nd one.

It looks horrendous. Like a vulgur, American monstrosity.

Sorry Magnator. I've liked the other watches you've posted though.

Fair enough - each to their own.

It does look a bit more understated in the flesh though.

Captain_Peacock

I had an inexpensive watch for years. Looked fine, not costly, but of great sentimental value. I had it for almost 25 years until it had a profound accident that damaged it beyond repair. I don't wear a watch these days.

Understated is the key for me, though. I must do a search later and find a photo or two of what I'd consider worth spending serious money on.

Please do.

Captain_Peacock

I'm a fan of the IWC Aquatimer 3536, discontinued now but you can still pick them up on chrono 24. The photo below is of the surface hardened Titanium version rather than Stainless Steel model. A modified ETA movement rather than in house.

3536-001-001.jpg

I'm a fan of the IWC Aquatimer 3536, discontinued now but you can still pick them up on chrono 24. The photo below is of the surface hardened Titanium version rather than Stainless Steel model. A modified ETA movement rather than in house.

3536-001-001.jpg

That is nice. Don't think I've seen it before?

For me though, of we're talking IWC you can't look past the Top Gun (as worn in Bourne Legacy)

311085D3-2998-4137-BFB1-5874EA57C818-6818-00000679B3718251_zpse4d47682.jpg

Please do.

This one - or a variant of it - would be the kind of thing I'd go for if I was looking at a gold bracelet. About 8 or 9 years I saw one very similar to this in a shop window near my office in Dublin, except that the face was a little more beige in colour.

I couldn't afford it, but I spent a worrying amount of time convincing myself that it was impossible rather than just highly improbable. :eek:

5120-1j-001-patek-philippe-calatrava-yellow-gold-bracelet.jpg

There's also a couple of really nice variants with leather straps.

:D Some recent opinions about the GMT typify precisely why people - understandably - avoid Rolex watches. Because so many people see them as vulgar. Irrationally in my own opinion. For the want of a better expression... haters gonna hate.

The pepsi GMT bezel is bold and stark IMO but I fail to see why it looks cheap or vulgar. It wasn't conceived to be those things, it was conceived as a functional aid for pilots in order to indicate a second time zone (GMT) and also as a navigational aid. It didn't and doesn't need to be red and blue... but that's the way it was designed and has become a piece of heritage.

If you liked the rest of the watch then you could always mod it to a bezel insert of your own choosing. It would be sacrilegious of course.

jack D and coke

I love kickback. I was just going to buy some random probably designer branded watch that was a piece of rubbish but I'm going to take my time now and get myself a proper one due to all you guys. I actually liked the so called Pepsi Rolex that's getting a ripping too. If I could afford it.

Anyone still looking to browse similarly valued watches from the mid-market and who also likes an aviator look could possibly also consider Zenith, Bremont, Laco and Fortis.

It's a bottomless pit. You can never exhaust the possibilities and can end up tying yourself in knots.

Captain_Peacock

:D Some recent opinions about the GMT typify precisely why people - understandably - avoid Rolex watches. Because so many people see them as vulgar. Irrationally in my own opinion. For the want of a better expression... haters gonna hate.

The pepsi GMT bezel is bold and stark IMO but I fail to see why it looks cheap or vulgar. It wasn't conceived to be those things, it was conceived as a functional aid for pilots in order to indicate a second time zone (GMT) and also as a navigational aid. It didn't and doesn't need to be red and blue... but that's the way it was designed and has become a piece of heritage.

If you liked the rest of the watch then you could always mod it to a bezel insert of your own choosing. It would be sacrilegious of course.

I'm sure I don't need to tell yourself but when Pan Am needed their pilots to track multiple time zones they turned to Rolex & the result was GMT master.

When the blokes involved in the great escape needed to time the camp guards movements they used Rolex (linking wiki because it's late & I'm lazy but have thrown in another from the national press re Rolex / Great Escape). On top of that the fact that the main man at Rolex German born Hans Wilsdorf offered to replace British POW's watches stolen by Camp Guards on a no cash up front basis (In his opinion a British gentleman's word was good enough for him and they would settle up after the war) & you have quite a story.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rolex

By the start of World War II, Rolex watches had already acquired enough prestige that Royal Air Force pilots bought them to replace their inferior standard-issue watches. However, when captured and sent to POW camps, their watches were confiscated.[7] When Hans Wilsdorf heard of this, he offered to replace all watches that had been confiscated and not require payment until the end of the war, if the officers would write to Rolex and explain the circumstances of their loss and where they were being held. Wilsdorf, in belief that their word was their bond, was in personal charge of the scheme.[29][30] As a result of this, an estimated 3,000 Rolex watches were ordered by British officers in the Oflag (prison camp for officers) VII B POW camp in Bavaria alone.[29] This had the effect of raising the morale among the allied POWs because it indicated that Wilsdorf did not believe that the Nazis would win the war.[29][31] American servicemen heard about this when stationed in Europe during WWII and this helped open up the American market to Rolex after the war.[7]

On 10 March 1943, while still a prisoner of war, Corporal Clive James Nutting, one of the organizers of the Great Escape, ordered a stainless steel Rolex Oyster 3525 Chronograph (valued at a current equivalent of ?1,200) by mail directly from Hans Wilsdorf in Geneva, intending to pay for it with money he saved working as a shoemaker at the camp.[29][31][32] The watch (Rolex watch no. 185983)[32][33] was delivered to Stalag Luft III on 10 July that year along with a note from Wilsdorf apologising for any delay in processing the order and explaining that an English gentleman such as Corporal Nutting "should not even think" about paying for the watch before the end of the war.[29][31] Wilsdorf is reported to have been impressed with Nutting because, although not an officer, he had ordered the expensive Rolex 3525 Oyster chronograph while most other prisoners ordered the much cheaper Rolex Speed King model which was popular because of its small size.[29] The watch is believed to have been ordered specifically to be used in the Great Escape when, as a chronograph, it could have been used to time patrols of prison guards or time the 76 ill-fated escapees through tunnel 'Harry' on 24 March 1944.[29][31][34] Eventually, after the war, Nutting was sent an invoice of only ?15 for the watch, because of currency export controls in England at the time.[31] The watch and associated correspondence between Wilsdorf and Nutting were sold at auction for ?66,000 in May 2007, while at an earlier auction on September 2006 the same watch fetched A$54,000.[31][33] Nutting served as a consultant for both the 1950 film The Wooden Horse and the 1963 film The Great Escape.[29] Both films were based on actual escapes which took place at Stalag Luft III.

Rolex worn by hero PoW in Great Escape up for sale http://www.express.c...ape-up-for-sale

Love or Hate them you can't deny that sort of heritage WILL sell watches

Edited by Captain_Peacock

Captain_Peacock

This one - or a variant of it - would be the kind of thing I'd go for if I was looking at a gold bracelet. About 8 or 9 years I saw one very similar to this in a shop window near my office in Dublin, except that the face was a little more beige in colour.

I couldn't afford it, but I spent a worrying amount of time convincing myself that it was impossible rather than just highly improbable. :eek:

If you can afford it knock yourself out, I don't know much about the varying watch references as they're unobtainable for me. Perhaps others can help more, apologies.

What do you guys make of Longines watches?

What in particular do you think of this?

http://www.longines.com/watches/The-Longines-Saint-Imier-Collection/L2.766.8.79.3

This to me is pretty much perfect. Very traditional and classy looking.

I prefer their older stuff but that is a nice looking watch.

Search 'vintage longines' & you'll find similar styles but for a fraction of the price

Captain_Peacock

I love kickback. I was just going to buy some random probably designer branded watch that was a piece of rubbish but I'm going to take my time now and get myself a proper one due to all you guys. I actually liked the so called Pepsi Rolex that's getting a ripping too. If I could afford it.

My advice would be do plenty of research & take your time.

I prefer their older stuff but that is a nice looking watch.

Search 'vintage longines' & you'll find similar styles but for a fraction of the price

Is Longines considered to be a decent watchmaker?

How much is that?

15-20 grand maybe?

Is Longines considered to be a decent watchmaker?

Yes. Well, IMO anyway.

Different folks for different strokes & all that.

They're mid to low range of the luxury market. But just because a watch is expensive doesn't necessarily follow that it'll be a great watch

Captain_Peacock

On the subject of fliegers Damasko imo opinion are great value for money, both the ETA movements & the in house. I think Zico previously mentioned SInn who use a form of surface hardening call tegimentation. Damasko & SInn worked previously on watch cases but have since parted ways, Damasko harden the whole watch case rather than just the surface, the black Damast version takes some beating.

Image below is DA44 on custom strap.

619306d1328372892-damasko-da44-dscn1730.jpg

On the pilot watch front it's also worth taking a look at Stowa.

Captain_Peacock

Yup, Damasko are excellent & affordable(ish)

Their entry level models with the ETA movement for me are great value for money. Not so sure the models with in house movement afford the same bang for the buck, so point taken,

Captain_Peacock

In short it's a tool not a show pony, I respect that.

How much is that?

15-20 grand maybe?

Not sure - scared to look. The Calatrava that mesmerised me back then was priced at ?23,000, which in those days was about ?19,000. But it was devastatingly beautiful - muted and elegant. The light just seemed to fall into it.

I'm sure I don't need to tell yourself but when Pan Am needed their pilots to track multiple time zones they turned to Rolex & the result was GMT master.

When the blokes involved in the great escape needed to time the camp guards movements they used Rolex (linking wiki because it's late & I'm lazy but have thrown in another from the national press re Rolex / Great Escape). On top of that the fact that the main man at Rolex German born Hans Wilsdorf offered to replace British POW's watches stolen by Camp Guards on a no cash up front basis (In his opinion a British gentleman's word was good enough for him and they would settle up after the war) & you have quite a story.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rolex

Rolex worn by hero PoW in Great Escape up for sale http://www.express.c...ape-up-for-sale

Love or Hate them you can't deny that sort of heritage WILL sell watches

Very interesting stuff! Thanks for sharing.

Mr Brightside

What do you guys make of Longines watches?

What in particular do you think of this?

http://www.longines.com/watches/The-Longines-Saint-Imier-Collection/L2.766.8.79.3

This to me is pretty much perfect. Very traditional and classy looking.

I think it looks really nice. I like the more classic looking watches rather than some of the busier watches.

Yeah will do. Any idea how to upload pictures from a mobile?

Do you have a phone that allows you to download apps?

If so, download photobucket. You then upload the picture from your phone into your photobucket album - you them copy the IMG code that it gives you and simply paste it on here.

In short it's a tool not a show pony, I respect that.

Yeah that was very interesting stuff about the Stalag Luft watch. I read about that recently. I had read that the POW flying officers were actually having their Rolexes delivered to them at the camp. Quite a bizarre concept. Delivery for Squadron Leader Carruthers!!! Food parcel, some winter socks and a Rolex.

Someone was on about Longines. Not a maker I've ever had a watch by. Longines are better to look for on the second hand market though. You will easily be able to pick up a nice automatic Hydroconquest for about ?500 if you try hard enough. Supposedly outstanding bang-for-the-buck at that price.

One other thing I meant to add about searching for various brands. Getting away from the fine all-Swiss makers and into a much more affordable sector of the market... In recent years there has been an expanding market in boutique brands, especially diver style watches. There are a myriad makers of really attractive dive watches who basically commission the assembly of catalogue movements, cases and bracelets/straps. Many of which employ Swiss ETA movements or decent quality Asian Miyota movements. If you like big, chunky, heavy watches and have less of a budget then it's well worth a look. Look for brands such as Deep Blue, Zixen, Zenton, Helson, Hexa, Halios, Clerc, Armida, Artego, Boschett. Not quite the same thing but also look at Glycine watches. I had a Combat Sub a while back and they are great value for money.

Captain_Peacock

Yeah that was very interesting stuff about the Stalag Luft watch. I read about that recently. I had read that the POW flying officers were actually having their Rolexes delivered to them at the camp. Quite a bizarre concept. Delivery for Squadron Leader Carruthers!!! Food parcel, some winter socks and a Rolex.

I'm not sure how easy it is to verify the watch sold at auction was the actual one used to time the camp guards, a cynic might say the story could be a vehicle to boost the auction value. When it comes down to it Hans Wilsdorf was prepared to ship watches on a no cash up front basis to service men based on their word (that seems to be a 100%), if he was prepaired to take service men at their word I'm certainly prepaired to the same in this instance.

Captain_Peacock

Great post Peacock. I'm buying a a Rolex next year (sub date or GMT II) partly because I love the watches but mainly as value-holding heirlooms that I'll pass on to my son (son number two will get one as well) - I'll be buying second hand birth year watches. But I completely understand why some people hate them and that there are situations where I wouldn't wear one, and that's where Tudor comes in. Lovely watches.

I mentioned before I think it's a great idea.

When ever anybody mentions a legacy watch I can't help myself thinking about the Chrisopher Walken scene in Pulp Fiction (Monologue below).

Pulp Fiction ? Captain Koons

?This watch was on your daddy?s wrist when he was shot down over Hannoi. He was captured, put in a Vietnamese prison camp. He knew that if the gooks ever saw the watch, they?d confiscate it, take it away. The way your dad looked at it, this watch was your birthright. He?d be damned if any slope?s gonna? put his greasy yellow hands on his boy?s birthright. So he hid it, in one place he knew he could hide something: his ass. Five long years he wore this watch, up his ass.?

Might be worth considering something with a small case.

......not far off the watch Uly posted.....

I'm going to suggest we agree to disagree on that.

It does look a bit more understated in the flesh though.

I think you have a point. Watches do seem to look a bit more bright and garish on a computer screen than in real life.

Cappuccino Kid

Patek Phillipe the only watch to be seen wearing. So glad someone else knows quality on here.

I hate to be pedantic, but people shouldn't talk about TAG watches. TAG are just a massive company that buy into other companies, the watches should correctly be referred to as Heuer.

Patek Phillipe the only watch to be seen wearing. So glad someone else knows quality on here.

I've just been browsing a few vintage 18 carat gold Calatrava watches for sale, all manual winding and from the 1960s.

They're simply stunning, but I still can't buy any of them.

:sob:

I hate to be pedantic, but people shouldn't talk about TAG watches. TAG are just a massive company that buy into other companies, the watches should correctly be referred to as Heuer.

Well like it or not, the Heuer brand was replaced by TAG Heuer when TAG aquired Heuer. The brand was rebranded and is now correctly referred to as TAG Heuer. The TAG Heuer brand having since been sold on to Louis Vuitton.

Well like it or not, the Heuer brand was replaced by TAG Heuer when TAG aquired Heuer. The brand was rebranded and is now correctly referred to as TAG Heuer. The TAG Heuer brand having since been sold on to Louis Vuitton.

Yes, TAG Heuer, not TAG.

Yes, TAG Heuer, not TAG.

Yeah but your original point contained this statement. "The watches should be referred to as Heuer". Which is just as errant as saying TAG. I actually think more so because the use of 'TAG' is clearly a shorthand or abbreviated reference to the brand, very much in the same way that people refer to a Patek Phillipe as a 'Patek'.

But let us not be bogged down by such things. :)

Just interested in people's opinion of these watches?

http://m.twsteel.com

Looked at a couple in a jewellers and on the website, pretty smart and very affordable.

Opinions lads?

Decent range of oversized watches. They have both quartz and automatic watches. Looks like basic Japanese quartz movements that will be perfectly fine and some Swiss ETA automatics. I reckon the prices of them are decent for what you would get. I'm sure they have a cabinet of them in Laings in the town if they need to be ogled at before purchase.

jack D and coke

Decent range of oversized watches. They have both quartz and automatic watches. Looks like basic Japanese quartz movements that will be perfectly fine and some Swiss ETA automatics. I reckon the prices of them are decent for what you would get. I'm sure they have a cabinet of them in Laings in the town if they need to be ogled at before purchase.

Cheers mate. I'm aware they're not classics or anything but I quite liked the look of them and they're more in my price range just now anyway. I'll have a look next time I'm in town.