Watches

jack D and coke

In 10 months time I'm officially old!

For my 30th I've decided to get a good watch. Asking all my family for Goldsmiths vouchers this Christmas, as well as my birthday (obviously). It will all add up I guess.

Reason I'm using Goldsmiths is I'm saving up my Tesco Clubcard vouchers as you can get 3 x the value in Goldsmiths. Damn good deal IMO.

I guess that limits me to buying brand new, but the gift vouchers and clubcard vouchers will really help give me a decent budget. 2 to 3 thousand I'm prepared to spend.

I've always wanted a Breitling or a Tag Heuer for as long as I can remember. The Breitling I love, the Navitimer 01, is ?6770. So that's out the equation!

I would do really bad things for this watch.

1140x1140_fitbox-breitling_navitimer_world_chronograph_men_s_bracelet_watch_a2432212_b726.jpg

There's not really any other cheaper Breitling's I like. So it's Tag Heuer I will likely buy.

Despite being cheaper, I actually prefer the look of the Aquaracer to the Carrera. Can't put my finger on why, but Carrera just isn't as nice for me personally. I don't like the Formula 1.

I'm liking this Aquaracer, but can't decide if I like blue or black face? Thoughts? (?2295)

cap2110.ba0833.jpg

cap2112.ba0833-1_1.jpg

I've checked out Longines & Raymond Veil and there's nothing floating my boat. Same goes for Omega to be honest.

Rolex is obviously too expensive but man I like the Yachtmaster II. :lol:

Is there any watches you think I should look at that I've maybe missed?

Looking for a large-ish face. Well not small basically. Metal strap. I like a busy face. Probably partly why I love that Breitling.

Cheers

Nice one. I got a Tag for my 40th and a Breitling for my 50th, so your one step ahead of me...

Don't know how much savings you get on the Tesco vouchers, but you can save 18% at an airport duty free , so maybe worth catching a cheap flight somewhere.

• Replies 2.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Victorian

• Sten Guns

• cosanostra

• Tazio

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Anyone have any idea what country is the cheapest to go and buy a Tag or a Breitling?

I've heard that the US is way cheaper than over here.

Anyone have any idea what country is the cheapest to go and buy a Tag or a Breitling?

It all depends on the exchange rate. At the moment it is approx $1.6 to the ?, which will make the USA slightly cheaper - Watch out for state taxes though, e.g. NY is about 8.5% and Oregon is zero.

Singapore is about 30-40% cheaper, but obviously it costs a lot to get there.

In 10 months time I'm officially old!

For my 30th I've decided to get a good watch. Asking all my family for Goldsmiths vouchers this Christmas, as well as my birthday (obviously). It will all add up I guess.

Reason I'm using Goldsmiths is I'm saving up my Tesco Clubcard vouchers as you can get 3 x the value in Goldsmiths. Damn good deal IMO.

I guess that limits me to buying brand new, but the gift vouchers and clubcard vouchers will really help give me a decent budget. 2 to 3 thousand I'm prepared to spend.

I've always wanted a Breitling or a Tag Heuer for as long as I can remember. The Breitling I love, the Navitimer 01, is ?6770. So that's out the equation!

I would do really bad things for this watch.

[

There's not really any other cheaper Breitling's I like. So it's Tag Heuer I will likely buy.

Despite being cheaper, I actually prefer the look of the Aquaracer to the Carrera. Can't put my finger on why, but Carrera just isn't as nice for me personally. I don't like the Formula Same goes for Omega to be honest.

Rolex is obviously too expensive but man I like the Yachtmaster II. :lol:

Is there any watches you think I should look at that I've maybe missed?

Looking for a large-ish face. Well not small basically. Metal strap. I like a busy face. Probably partly why I love that Breitling.

Cheers

Can't believe you don't fancy an Omega?!

The Speedmaster Moonwatch is classic (worn by the first astronauts on the Moon). Busyish face but still clean. ?2880

B3EE1A03-A7F7-490D-AC2C-6493D7ADF26F-1083-000000CD78D7A163_zps6f36bfd1.jpg

would you need to declare it and pay tax when you come back to the UK?

Great thread! I'm hoping to get a watch next year. I'm after a Swiss automatic, Thoughts on any of these:

7924_733_7594_40_94_ls.png

2-025-03-0020.jpg

99956629_v_1357655055.jpg

Of the three, I'd plump for the Longines. If it's your only watch, that style is fairly restrictive.

Those are smart/dress watches. Can't imagine any of them with jeans...

would you need to declare it and pay tax when you come back to the UK?

Erm, technically, yes, I think so.

Duty free is an option though

The Speedmaster Moonwatch is classic (worn by the first astronauts on the Moon). Busyish face but still clean. ?2880

I think it's the fact it reminds me of the Carrera. Which I'm not a fan of.

This might sound daft, but it's the black circle around the face that puts me off.

If it was silver like the strap and like an a aquaracer I'd prefer it so much more.

It is a great shout though. I'm being fussy!

Of the three, I'd plump for the Longines. If it's your only watch, that style is fairly restrictive.

Those are smart/dress watches. Can't imagine any of them with jeans...

This is both suit smart & jean casual IMO

8A587D63-522D-455E-8A94-8B42C4E676BA-1083-000000DA1E8398E0_zps1defb5da.jpg

Anyone wanting a Rolex but doesn't have the wedge should look at Tudor. Tudor are owned by Rolex.

I've been considering one for quite some time now.

Best place to buy is Dubai, every model in the world with no tax, if you head to the watch & gold markets you pay about 60% retail on most models.

My issue with Omegas is the whole James Bond tie-in thing.

I like James Bond.

I like nice watches.

Do I want to have a James Bond watch? Er, naw.

I like James Bond.

I like nice watches.

Sadly this is true of a lot of the big players and one of the reasons they cost so much.

Omega Seamasters are to aaa certain extent tainted by Bond, but the Planent Ocean (also a Seamaster) is such a stunning watch that if get passed the JB thing.

When I think of Tag I think of di Caprio& Schumacher. It's a shame but celebrity endorsements are the way of things now

I like James Bond.

I like nice watches.

Sadly this is true of a lot of the big players and one of the reasons they cost so much.

Omega Seamasters are to aaa certain extent tainted by Bond, but the Planent Ocean (also a Seamaster) is such a stunning watch that if get passed the JB thing.

When I think of Tag I think of di Caprio& Schumacher. It's a shame but celebrity endorsements are the way of things now

For those JKBers that enjoy watches but are on a tighter budget ? you can get these Seiko automatic watches for ?45 on amazon.co.uk.

This truly is a steal and I would recommend it for anyone who has previously only used quartz (battery powered watches where the second hand ?ticks?, rather than ?sweeps?). That would like an easy introduction into the world of the automatic watch (powered by the movement of the watch, rather than a battery - in pretty simplistic terms)

http://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B006CHML4I/ref=dra_a_cs_lb_hn_it_P1400_1000?tag=dradisplay0bb-21

Notbrainwashed

My aspirational watch. Was considering getting one about 2-3 years ago with my bonus when they were selling for 1700. Now, they've gone up in price by about a grand.

Ludicrous, but I can still dream. One day....one day.

My aspirational watch. Was considering getting one about 2-3 years ago with my bonus when they were selling for 1700. Now, they've gone up in price by about a grand.

You can still get the Speedmaster Reduced for that price (reduced is the watch name, nothing to do with price).

One on left is the Reduced, on the right is the Moonwatch. Same same, but different (as they say in Thailand)

7B8FF377-DD4C-4E4A-896D-D3AC912A1FFE-1721-000001648DDB10FF_zps8b6d3dd7.jpg

Best place to buy is Dubai, every model in the world with no tax, if you head to the watch & gold markets you pay about 60% retail on most models.

I take it this doesn't include Dubai airport?

The watches in airport were more expensive than I could find online right now.

Be careful buying a high end watch from a non Authorised Dealer. Airport duty free are AD's but the markets and souks are not.

I'd want that for what it is and the history behind it more than anything. Looks class too, but the price! Dear god!

For the time being I'll stick to my ?7 Casio.

:sob:

After a wee bit of research, this place would appear to be about the cheapest in the universe.

http://www.swissluxuryshop.com/

They also sell only real and guaranteed products and they post to the UK from EU countries (Germany or Spain) depending on which watch you buy. They have an excellent rating on trust pilot.

http://www.trustpilot.co.uk/review/www.swissluxury.com

Have a look guys and let me know what you think.

After a wee bit of research, this place would appear to be about the cheapest in the universe.

http://www.swissluxuryshop.com/

They also sell only real and guaranteed products and they post to the UK from EU countries (Germany or Spain) depending on which watch you buy. They have an excellent rating on trust pilot.

http://www.trustpilo...swissluxury.com

Have a look guys and let me know what you think.

Very similar pricing to UK Duty Free. If that was an option, I would recommend the DF route as you get to try on the watch first and they will adjust the strap, etc.

null_zpse0db2cf0.jpg

I've always fancied a cartier tank watch always considered them an elegant. Seen this one in a man mag thought how smart is this........only ?36k

:what:

Very similar pricing to UK Duty Free. If that was an option, I would recommend the DF route as you get to try on the watch first and they will adjust the strap, etc.

I've been looking at prices of a few models over the last year and that website is way cheaper than Duty Free in Glasgow, London, Istanbul, Dubai or Brisbane. It's mostly Tags I've been looking at so it may just be them that's cheaper by light years.

I've been looking at prices of a few models over the last year and that website is way cheaper than Duty Free in Glasgow, London, Istanbul, Dubai or Brisbane. It's mostly Tags I've been looking at so it may just be them that's cheaper by light years.

Dirt cheap from looking.

That website genuine?

Do you pay a tax when item is delivered?

Dirt cheap from looking.

That website genuine?

Do you pay a tax when item is delivered?

It's genuine, as are the watches. Look at the trustpilot rating,

No. The tax is paid in anoher EU country that the watch is posted from so there won't be any import duty.

It's genuine, as are the watches. Look at the trustpilot rating,

No. The tax is paid in anoher EU country that the watch is posted from so there won't be any import duty.

My "if only" watch, is ?6770 here.

But ?3265 on that website.

That's more than 50%

As is the Tag I like.

?2295 here. ?833 on that website.

Were you not looking at Goldsmiths though?

It's the most farcical, piss-taking, absurdly over-priced high end watch retailer on earth.

I wouldn't go near them for anything.

Were you not looking at Goldsmiths though?

It's the most farcical, piss-taking, absurdly over-priced high end watch retailer on earth.

I wouldn't go near them for anything.

Their prices on almost every Swiss watch I've looked at are no different to any other high street retailer.......

The RRP seems to the same all over. Beaverbrooks etc.

But yes, they all have a massive mark up no doubt!

Their prices on almost every Swiss watch I've looked at are no different to any other high street retailer.......

The RRP seems to the same all over. Beaverbrooks etc.

But yes, they all have a massive mark up no doubt!

Beaverbrooks are shit as well mate.

If you're going to spend a lot on a watch then think either duty free, cheaper country or online company with trustworthy rep rather than high street store.

You'll be throwing a decent sum of money away for no reason otherwise.

Beaverbrooks are shit as well mate.

If you're going to spend a lot on a watch then think either duty free, cheaper country or online company with trustworthy rep rather than high street store.

You'll be throwing a decent sum of money away for no reason otherwise.

You've got me convinced after looking at that website you posted.

Little bit paranoid but does seem legit.

Think that's natural when something appears to be so cheap! Haha.

If something seems to good to be true and all that......

Edited by Sten Guns

Was it?

I'll need to take a proper look.

I can't make up my mind if these guys are legit or not. They do seem awfully cheap.

Hoping its legit!!!

For tags the best option is the USA.. You will get the watch for the same amount of dollars as GBP

Any idea about Cancun?

Going there...... :lol: