Watches

jack D and coke

jack D and coke

Looking to but myself a decent watch seeing I've got a spare few quid lying about from my birthday a few months back. Anybody got any good links to anywhere? I guess roundabout the ?500 mark.

Cheers.

• Replies 2.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Victorian

• Sten Guns

• cosanostra

• Tazio

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Try Cruise in George Street mate.

They alawys seem to have a few crackers in there and the boss/armani watches are well smart.

Kenneth Cole watches are good also and seem to last for ages and not over priced.

If I was going to spend a lot of money on a watch (and I have done in the past) I would go for a watch by a watch company and not a fashion brand. For ?500 you are getting into reach of a decent watch or a good 2nd hand one. 2nd hand watches aren't really a risk as the type of person that spend over a grand on a watch you tend to be the type of person that cares for it.

All roads lead to Gorgie

I would go for an automatic watch as it will save you on batteries over the years. Something Swiss made like a Tissot or if you stretch it to six hundred say an Oris which I own myself and have never had a problem with.

I hadn't really thought about a 2nd hand one tbh. I might have a better look when I get a chance now. Cheers tazio.

Though I would say there were also a few hooky looking ones on Gumtree. If the price is too good to be true then it isn't kosher.

jack D and coke

Though I would say there were also a few hooky looking ones on Gumtree. If the price is too good to be true then it isn't kosher.

Aye gotta be careful right enough. End up spending 500 blabs on a looky looky Tag :lol:

go second hand- the economic crisis has hit everyone so a good few top notch timepieces out there at the moment. However onc purchased take it to a dealer for verification of authenticity

Aye gotta be careful right enough. End up spending 500 blabs on a looky looky Tag :lol:

Heuer actually. TAG are just a big company that bought into Heuer and then sold them on a few years ago. TAG also own a part of McLaren F1.

If I was going to spend a lot of money on a watch (and I have done in the past) I would go for a watch by a watch company and not a fashion brand. For ?500 you are getting into reach of a decent watch or a good 2nd hand one. 2nd hand watches aren't really a risk as the type of person that spend over a grand on a watch you tend to be the type of person that cares for it.

Bingo. Fashion watches are absolute dire.

Just had a look on fraser hart and they have some oris and Raymond Weil watches ?500 to ?600 I would avoid fashion brand watches as they might look ok now they will go out of fashion . Go for a timeless classic and you won't go wrong .

Ebeneezer Goode

This.

Go for a timeless classic and you won't go wrong .

Best advice you can get. I've got a Longines I got for my 21st that I chose for that reason and you can still buy the same model. No date etc on the face, not even a second hand. Just a plain white face, hour markers and two hands and a black leather strap. You can still buy that exact model. My everyday watch is a TAG-Heuer I bought with my own money not long after when I was making decent cash, it looks like what it is, a 1980's watch. Great watch though, tough as old boots and has survived over 20 years of hard physical work.

I was given a Citizen eco-drive watch, excellent timekeeper, radio controlled from satelite, solar powered world timer, really enjoy it excellent when travelling through time zones. I believe its the Blue Angel version.

Have a Heuer and love it, but would buy something else if I did it again. Cost over $100 to replace battery and have watched sealed to original diver specs. And then needed some additional work on the mechanism. Neighbor has a Rolex which I tried on. Very smart, but looks stupid on my skinny wrist.

Neighbor has a Rolex which I tried on. Very smart, but looks stupid on my skinny wrist.

My next watch purchase will be a vintage Rolex. The older 1950/60's ones are a lot smaller. I have found a shop in the south of England that does them for reasonable prices.

Craig Gordons Gloves

I recently bought a Longines after being left some money by a relative. Spent just over $2000 on it and the plan is for this watch to be passed down to my one of my kids when I go. I would never normally spend that on a watch but I figured it would be the kind of thing this relative would appreciate. Had to put some money to it but its a beautiful watch. Like Tazio's, it's simple, numbers and hands. None of this chronometer nonsense ;)

Looking at the 500 quid mark, Victorinox Swiss Army do some really good watches in that price range, have had an "infantry" for 10 years and its been excellent. Really good, simple plain design and its been battered by me and still looks good.

As has been mentioned, many of the fashion brands aren't going to be classics, they're also made under license by fossil, who make good watches but not something that you're going to have forever.

Edited by Craig Gordons Gloves

Brian Whittaker's Tache

I bought myself an 1960's Heuer about 18 years ago. Never ages looks classy and is probably appreciating in value.

Regret not buying myself a Seamaster when I had dough a few years ago.

As others have said, buy something by a watchmaker not a clothes company. New, for 500 you could look at watches by Hamilton, Sinn, Christopher Ward Tissot or maybe something like a Seiko Monster if you want a good dive watch. But have a look on eBay and you could pick up a good vintage Omega or something, just make sure you buy it from a jeweller rather than some random.

I have this bad boy and it's an awesome timepiece.

http://www.seiko.co.uk/products/seiko/c/sportura/m/snp064p1_snp064p1

Around your price range, the non LE edition is around 500

For your price range on a new watch, Seiko (perpetual) Citizen (solar) are the best out there and are considerably better than most (if not all) branded fashion watches. Whether your prefer solar or perpetual is up to you and there are arguments on both sides which is better.

Whilst we're on the subject, for any watch collectors out there or indeed if you just want a cheap cool watch, i highly recommend this one:-

http://www.mondaine.com/mondaine-watches/display/237

Got a nice Tag the other week for nothing

The father in law got a new watch for his birthday and gave me it so it wouldn't just end up sitting in a cupboard doing nothing

Nothing to do with the OP just :smuggy:

As others have said, buy something by a watchmaker not a clothes company. New, for 500 you could look at watches by Hamilton, Sinn, Christopher Ward Tissot or maybe something like a Seiko Monster if you want a good dive watch. But have a look on eBay and you could pick up a good vintage Omega or something, just make sure you buy it from a jeweller rather than some random.

Indeed - I love Christopher Ward and you can get a lot of watch for your buck when you buy from them.

www.christopherward.co.uk

Don't buy a fashion watch - ever. You are paying for the label and not the watch. The vast majority have crummy quartz movements in them.

jack D and coke

Indeed - I love Christopher Ward and you can get a lot of watch for your buck when you buy from them.

www.christopherward.co.uk

Don't buy a fashion watch - ever. You are paying for the label and not the watch. The vast majority have crummy quartz movements in them.

Never heard of these watches before.

Cheers ill have a look mate.

Whilst we're on the subject, for any watch collectors out there or indeed if you just want a cheap cool watch, i highly recommend this one:-

http://www.mondaine....hes/display/237

How much is that one out of interest? I think they sell it at the Swiss railway stations. Am planning to buy myself one if I retire while working here so that every time I look at it I'll remember I wasn't on the 06:59 to Geneva that morning. :verysmug:

Looking to but myself a decent watch seeing I've got a spare few quid lying about from my birthday a few months back. Anybody got any good links to anywhere? I guess roundabout the ?500 mark.

Cheers.

You can have this for your ?500 , i'll even through in a rubber strap.

674849d1333915758-fs-tag-heuer-formula-1-f1-mens-chronograph-cac1110-f1_closeup.jpg

jack D and coke

You can have this for your ?500 , i'll even through in a rubber strap.

674849d1333915758-fs-tag-heuer-formula-1-f1-mens-chronograph-cac1110-f1_closeup.jpg

Tell me a bit more about it mate. I could be interested.

Don't want to hijack the OP's thread, but I have some money put aside for a watch, about ?1500 could stretch to 2k, always wanted a rolex but that wont be enough, dont really want to buy second hand either,anybody got any recommendations.

Don't want to hijack the OP's thread, but I have some money put aside for a watch, about ?1500 could stretch to 2k, always wanted a rolex but that wont be enough, dont really want to buy second hand either,anybody got any recommendations.

In all honesty, if you've always fancied a Rolex then get a second hand one from a reputable reseller. These things don't wear out.

I recently-ish purchased an older SeaMaster after shopping around a bit. Was close to using http://www.fellows.co.uk/ - auctioneers website that has fairly regular auctions on classic timepieces. They have an IOS app you can put on iPhone/iPad (not looked to see if they do it for android) and then you can get the upcoming catalogues for auction. I think you can also look back at older auctions v actual prices realised for time pieces to give you an idea of what they sell for. From memory the Omegas I was looking at always went close to guide price..which seem set fairly reasonable.

Mind and read all the small print though regarding auctioneers % on final sale price etc.

Craig Gordons Gloves

As above - Longines. Classic watches.

I have this bad boy and it's an awesome timepiece.

http://www.seiko.co....p064p1_snp064p1

Around your price range, the non LE edition is around 500

For your price range on a new watch, Seiko (perpetual) Citizen (solar) are the best out there and are considerably better than most (if not all) branded fashion watches. Whether your prefer solar or perpetual is up to you and there are arguments on both sides which is better.

http://www.mondaine....hes/display/237

I've had a hankering for that watch for a while, it looks superb the classic railway clock face

A132.30348.11SBB_CB.jpg

I've had a hankering for that watch for a while, it looks superb the classic railway clock face

A132.30348.11SBB_CB.jpg

If you're going for a Mondaine get the remake of the old classic, stop2go

A132.30348.11SBB_CB.jpg

Could just be the picture, but it looks cheap to me. I have seen similar looking for a tenner.

J.T.F.Robertson

Got something similar to this, as a 10 year-service award, a couple of years back.

0606373w_459x715.jpg

"You can fool some of the people". :rolleyes: