Has anyone had bother with acid & what did you do to help it subside?

Craigieboy

Recently I've had quite a problem with acid reflux. So much so that I think a degree of damage has been done to my esophagus.

I'm now taking Gaviscon & trying to eat a high fibre diet. I'm being more careful about eating fatty foods but obviously the odd bout of drinking won't help.

I really don't want to take gaviscon for very long so what are the best ways to limit acid?

Wouldn't bother with gaviscon tbh, stick to generic Ranitidine tablets 75mg (tesco / asda).

I lost a little weight and the reflux bouts are now only a couple times a week. As you said watching what you eat is the key, I just have to look at a bottle of fresh orange juice and I've had it.

Omeprazole tablets are excellent as well but these are only proscribed by a GP. One every morning regardless of having heartburn or not.

It seems to happen when I have a drink so now I take Zanatec (ranitidine) after the pub and by and large it has done the trick.

Wouldn't bother with gaviscon tbh, stick to generic Ranitidine tablets 75mg (tesco / asda).

I lost a little weight and the reflux bouts are now only a couple times a week. As you said watching what you eat is the key, I just have to look at a bottle of fresh orange juice and I've had it.

Omeprazole tablets are excellent as well but these are only proscribed by a GP. One every morning regardless of having heartburn or not.

Good advice, works for me.

Omeprazole has no side effects and no long term implications its a gastro resistant tablet that slows down the production of acid. This can be given out to counter other medicines that can mess with your stomach and they are really good.

Some tablets that dont need a prescription can contain some of it.

Fatty foods and alcohol are usual triggers alongside weight. Be sure that it is just reflux and not Oesophagitis or Barretts worth a chat with the GP if you get it alot mate.

I've had Omeprazole from my doc. Started taking them daily and now I only need to take one every few days.

They've been amazing, such a relief and I can eat anything I want.

See all you ****s wi the acid references. Just pish off.

I'm reading about what could be wrong with my food pipe and currently shiting myself.

:lol:

I had acid reflux and got prescribed some stronger stuff that made it totally worse.

Gaviscon did eff all.

Asda own brand stuff worked for me.

If it's happening frequently - go to the docs and discuss whether Omeprazole would be the best thing for you.

It's really is phenomenal.

I went from suffering daily to nothing within 24-48hrs max. 1 a day - does the trick.

As others have said, get down to the docs and get on Omeprazole.

I used to be in serious pain with reflux acid, bevvy and certain foods would kick it off. Got to the stage where I was suffering every day (and night) never getting any relief. Went to the docs got prescribed Omeprazole took one tablet and within 4 hours or so pain had disappeared.

It is a magic cure.

Victor Mancini

this is a bit random but its worth being tested for Helibactor Pylori(blood and urine test at docs), its a bacteria that affects your stomach lining and can be brought on by stress, apparently its not too common but over the past 3-4 years i know of at least 2 other people who've suffered from it

I'll add to all the previous posts about Omeprazole.

I also had alot of bother but this solved my problems.

(seems quite a few of us have same problem and same solution, didnt know it was so popular :) )

this is a bit random but its worth being tested for Helibactor Pylori(blood and urine test at docs), its a bacteria that affects your stomach lining and can be brought on by stress, apparently its not too common but over the past 3-4 years i know of at least 2 other people who've suffered from it

Much more common than you think and another possibility.

Shanks said no

If you are getting it when sleeping here is the advice I received from Dr H**** of the Ladywell Medical practice circa 1985. Put 2 bricks under the head of your bed and the acid gathered in your gullet will dissipate downwards. Obviously I thought he was mental but it did work and it brought a whole new meaning to making the bed move.....

The People's Chimp

All my doctor pals stock up on omeprazole before a big night. Boys dishing them out at the airport before a stag weekend etc. :lol:

Prescribed lansoprazol. Take as and when. Works ok but I have my own suspicions of a haitus hernia.

The crippling inability to play footie without being in pain suggests your right.

Felix Lighter

Recently I've had quite a problem with acid reflux. So much so that I think a degree of damage has been done to my esophagus.

I'm now taking Gaviscon & trying to eat a high fibre diet. I'm being more careful about eating fatty foods but obviously the odd bout of drinking won't help.

I really don't want to take gaviscon for very long so what are the best ways to limit acid?

I used to get it pretty regularly,was recommended this stuff from Real Foods in Broughton Street....

http://www.realfoods.co.uk/product/14108/creative-nature-barley-grass-supplement-200g

I chuck a heaped tea spoon in a fruit smoothie every day and haven't suffered it since,I imagine it's healthier than necking drugs aswell.200g lasts about a month.

Talk to your doc, and for the moment ignore the home remedies. That's not because they are bad ideas; it's because they might not be right for you.

Your doc will know what to look for, but in any case I'd say testing for Helicobacter Pylori might be a good place to start. It's not a good idea to take Omeprazole (or any other drug of the same class) for any length of time without checking in with your doctor.

It's also worth keeping in mind that the nastiest and most sinister things you'll be reading about on the internet at the moment are also the least common. But let a doctor take a look and put your mind at rest.

Kalamazoo Jambo

It's also worth keeping in mind that the nastiest and most sinister things you'll be reading about on the internet at the moment are also the least common.

Hibs victories over Hearts?

Ricardo Quaresma

Tell your GP that you want a test for H. Pylori (Acidophilic Bacteria) as it's quite likely

For every 3 people, 2 will get it at one point

Antibiotics & PPI (Omeprazole, Lansoprazole) usually sort it out

Thanks.

Think I'll see the doctor.

Hate going. Last time I went he was fiddling with my boaby.

There used to be a doctor at Stirling Uni who would do that even if you went in with a sprained ankle.

Thanks.

Think I'll see the doctor.

Hate going. Last time I went he was fiddling with my boaby.

I was experiencing something similar. It was always first thing in the morning I'd feel like I was going to be sick. Thought it was GERD but the good doc at Oxgangs told me it was a variation of IBS - although I forget the actual name. He gave me domperidone tablets to take 3 times per day for 3 weeks and it seems to be ok for now.

Ricardo Quaresma

If any GP asks you to 'drop 'em' you should ask them for a reason if there apparently isn't one

If you think they had no reason you should report them

If it sometimes feels like choking, or starts during meals, it could be a hiatus hernia. Doc might prescribe a barium meal (hehe) and if it is, it's to hosp for oesophaagael dilatation. minor anaesthetic and walk out later. Then it's scripts for ranitidine (any Zantac generic).

Shanks said no

Craigieboy,

don't worry about the Barium meal, just learn to swallow, its when that fails and the doctor says its a Barium enema that you need, that you really should worry. People pay to get enemas?, I thought I was sick but that really took the biscuit.

Tried Gaviscon and all that simllar stuff from the chemists and didn't help at all. Went to the docs and he done a blood test for that Helicobacter bug and it was negative. Omeprazole is the magic answer for me, but take them just before bed about 3 times a week and you should be fine. Normally take them midweek so my stomach is ok for a good bevvy at the weekend. :2thumbsup:

• 1 month later...

Hello

I have had much less acid these days but have been left with a really bad feeling in my chest. Like a raw feeling.

Just been to the doctor & was relieved to hear him say he thinks it's scarring from the acid. I had really started to worry about esophageal cancer like the silly little drama queen that I am.

Been given the magical Omeprazole & he says I should feel better within one week.

I have a hiatus hernia (been living with it for over 10 years now). So i know a fair bit about Acid Reflux.

Let me start by saying, yes if you're getting it frequently, a visit to the Doc's is on the cards.

Couple of questions:-

Does it start when you begin a meal (especially Beef, Bread, potatoes)?

Does it feel like food sometimes gets stuck in your Esophagus?

If you've got both of these, there's a good chance it's a hernia.

Nothing to worry about, except they may stick a tube down your throat. This for some (me included) is horrendously painful, others have little problem with it.

If it is a hernia, it can be easily fixed with keyhole surgery, however, NHS will not do so, until your Hernia is affecting your DAILY life. Hence why i've been living with it for so long.

Now, onto drugs.

If you're too pussy to see the doc, then Ozemaprole is definitely the way to go (it's also a very good hangover cure :)).

Personaly, i use Nexium and i found this one the best and it's available over the counter, but not sure about the UK, as i don't live there anymore.

Other things you should do/avoid are all fairly obvious

Smoking - bad

Drinking - bad

Eating fatty foods - bad

Eating citrus foods - bad

Eating anything with high acid content - bad

Losing weight - good - very good actually, has helped mine a lot

Eating lots of green veg - good

Of course this reads like most advice for almost any condition, but believe me you will feel the difference immediately.

I try to reduce my Nexium as much as possible (usually one at the start of the weekend :)),

Tiberius Stinkfinger

Hello

I have had much less acid these days but have been left with a really bad feeling in my chest. Like a raw feeling.

Just been to the doctor & was relieved to hear him say he thinks it's scarring from the acid. I had really started to worry about esophageal cancer like the silly little drama queen that I am.

Been given the magical Omeprazole & he says I should feel better within one week.

Been on Omeprazole for about 15 years, the Quack who initially prescribed them told me to take one just before i went out on the piss.

I did this for years but every now and again I would be seriously doubled up in pain, stupidly I used to ignore it and get on with things. I was in tears one night with my gut doing somersaults, phoned a Quack at about 3am and explained my symptoms, he asked me what pain killers I was taking and pissed himself laughing when I said none....

I didn't even have any in the house, I jumped in the motor and found an all night garage and bought some Paracetamol, the pain was gone within 5 minutes, I had been suffering this for years, felt a right dick.

Then started to take one 20mg Omeprazole tablet every day without fail and have never had any problems since.

Can eat what I like when I like.

Hello

Just rread this thread, glad you've got it sorted. Omeprazole really is a great drug and sorted me out within a couple of days when I had much the same symptoms as you.

Just rread this thread, glad you've got it sorted. Omeprazole really is a great drug and sorted me out within a couple of days when I had much the same symptoms as you.

Cheers.

The thing is, despite not having had bad acid for a few weeks now I've got this horrible scarred feeling in my throat. It's strange that it's not went away itself considering I've not had the reflux for a while.

Cheers.

The thing is, despite not having had bad acid for a few weeks now I've got this horrible scarred feeling in my throat. It's strange that it's not went away itself considering I've not had the reflux for a while.

It will heal itself now that there is no acid to irritate it. :thumbsup:

Ricardo Quaresma

Cheers.

Ask your GP for an endoscopy; if you are right about scarring (oesophigitis) then you might want to consider a procedure to tighten the entrance to the stomach, to stop acid squirting up easily

Ask your GP for an endoscopy; if you are right about scarring (oesophigitis) then you might want to consider a procedure to tighten the entrance to the stomach, to stop acid squirting up easily

Do they still do that?

I thought that because Omeprozole stopped the stomach producing excess acid there was no need for it nowadays.

Ricardo Quaresma

Do they still do that?

I thought that because Omeprozole stopped the stomach producing excess acid there was no need for it nowadays.

Yes

It's probably more economical if it stops / reduces the need for PPI medication; also, too much of this reduces the stomach's ability to neutralise little 'nasties', which it does with a normal level of stomach acid

If it's happening frequently - go to the docs and discuss whether Omeprazole would be the best thing for you.

It's really is phenomenal.

I went from suffering daily to nothing within 24-48hrs max. 1 a day - does the trick.

I would also suggest this.

Archived