Black Panther in Livingston

Shanks said no

Shanks said no

A panther could be stalking the streets of West Lothian after a dog walker spotted a big cat - the second such sighting in a year.

Bob Wallace, coordinator for the Scottish Big Cats group, who carry out investigations into big cat sightings from all over Scotland, said he received a report of a sighting at Appleton Parkway in Livingston last month.

Bob said the dog walker saw a large black cat, which measured two-to-three metres in length. He is now appealing to members of the public to come forward if they too have spotted the animal elsewhere. According to the West Lothian Courier 15/8/13

Shanks said no

Just hearing a helicopter is circling Ladywell, Livingston. Panther hunt or the twisted fire starter?

I don't know why these things are taken seriously. People always said their was a leopard in the Trossachs. Bollocks. How does a black panther get into Scotland? I'm sure a zoo or wildlife park would notice if they had a big cat missing.

A panther could be stalking the streets of West Lothian after a dog walker spotted a big cat - the second such sighting in a year.

Bob Wallace, coordinator for the Scottish Big Cats group, who carry out investigations into big cat sightings from all over Scotland, said he received a report of a sighting at Appleton Parkway in Livingston last month.

Bob said the dog walker saw a large black cat, which measured two-to-three metres in length. He is now appealing to members of the public to come forward if they too have spotted the animal elsewhere. According to the West Lothian Courier 15/8/13

Absolute NAP some daftie walking around in his slippers wearing Zoomies on his way to the papershop spotted a domestic cat.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6sp78DsIOwc

Appears the Pentland Panther returns.

I saw a big black cat near Glencorse Reservoir a couple of years ago. If it was a domestic cat it was the biggest one I've ever seen. It wasny anything near two meters long though, maybe it was a baby then. :uhoh2:

indianajones

I saw a big black cat near Glencorse Reservoir a couple of years ago. If it was a domestic cat it was the biggest one I've ever seen. It wasny anything near two meters long though, maybe it was a baby then. :uhoh2:

Wild cats arent too uncommon in Scotland. We get quite a few sightings at work throughout the year!

I saw one when I was a kid.

My dad lived in the borders just up river from Stobo.

We took the dog (black lab cross) for a walk and she immediately jumped in the river, swam across to the other side and went to investigate.

We couldn't figure out why until we saw a massive black animal too big to be another black lab, with a stocky build, moving like a cat, and the dog came sprinting back and wouldn't leave our side.

When we got back to the house, my old man said a guy had stopped his car outside the house two weeks before and told him that he'd seen a panther, and my Dad just dismissed it as a nutcase that had seen a big dog, but now that we'd both something, he was inclined to believe there might have been something in it.

I don't know why these things are taken seriously. People always said their was a leopard in the Trossachs. Bollocks. How does a black panther get into Scotland? I'm sure a zoo or wildlife park would notice if they had a big cat missing.

went into a garage when i was a lad and the guy getting served had an american puma on a lead, way bigger than an alsation dog, scared the shit outta me.

Guest GhostHunter

There's a big big cat prowling around Stirling area - have seen a huge cat jump over a railing near the road we live in - whilst that sounds a little hard to believe, it's not really given there are regularly deer being spotted in the greenfield areas IN the city.

Not sure if it was a panther or not, but it was certainly about the same size, however was at night so the colour was difficult to say other than it was dark. Plenty of local moggies going missing as well.

Cairneyhill Jambo

Reports of big cats in Scotland are a myth. There has not been one piece of evidence to confirm that they actually exist.

If they were out there, there would be at least sheep carcasses left. Tests on ones that have been found were examined and were found to have been dead or dying and had been scavenged by foxes/badgers.

Plenty of private zoos back in the day, ended up falling into disrepair and the animals escaping. Victorians loved that sort of shit. These animals could be descendants of the original escapees.

Matthew Le Tissier

People buy animals as pets when the animal is a youngun. Then when it gets too big it either escapes or they release it into the wild.

Florida is a prime example. Burmese Pythons are taking over the everglades

Tiberius Stinkfinger

Took this a few years back, was scared to go public with it in case folk thought I was a barmy.

RU69023_BLACK_PANTHER_MASCOT.jpg

Terrifying !

Guest GhostHunter

Took this a few years back, was scared to go public with it in case folk thought I was a barmy.

RU69023_BLACK_PANTHER_MASCOT.jpg

Terrifying !

That reminds of the time I caught this coming up my stairs.

Scared the shit out of me.

tumblr_mpor491XCZ1qkkxevo1_500.jpg

Shanks said no

Saw one of these on Rothesay Terrace, West End, Edinburgh and had to look it up to see what it was Martes_martes_crop.jpgIt's a Pine Marten and shouldn't have been running around Edinburgh. They are not meant to be native to the area

Alan Johnson

I'm pretty sure there's no such animal as the black panther, it's just what people called black jaguars or leopards before they realised what they were and thought they were a different animal.

Sent from my GT-P3110 using Tapatalk 2

• 4 weeks later...
Ricardo Quaresma

Plenty of private zoos back in the day, ended up falling into disrepair and the animals escaping. Victorians loved that sort of shit. These animals could be descendants of the original escapees.

Seems likely something like this; have heard of Panther stories going back 30 - 40 years; probably some private owner(s) who keep(s) re-capturing the buggers

:)

Craig Gordons Gloves

Was mauled by a cougar once.

To be fair, I did end up marrying her.

There's a bar not that far from my work that is supposedly full of cougars. However, no matter how many times I've been down there with binoculars etc ive yet to spot one. Just loads of woman in their late 30s to early 50s drinking at the bar...

There are absolutely feral big cats loose in Britain. Even most previous sceptics admit this now.

I think most people accept that there may be, or may have been, the odd one or two that were released or escaped. I don't think most people think there is a breeding population out there. The absence of dead big cats, or evidence of them preying on either livestock or deer suggests to me that there are very few, if any in the wild these days.

• 6 years later...
On 19 August 2013 at 21:36, The Frenchman Returns said:

Hi me and my wife were walking though woods at Houston estate Livingston on Saturday just as it was getting dark my lab. Saw something in the woodS running when we looked round we saw a black animal about same size as our dog and he chased it I had to shout him back as we don't know what it was but it was black all over and fast gave my wife a fright 10/11/2019