British drug mules

Jam Tarts 1874

Surely it's possible to both feel sorry for them and think that they should be punished as is normal in these cases.

People on both sides here seem awfully certain of what happened, but it seems to me that both are equally plausible:

• While working in Ibiza, the two girls get involved with these gangster types and are impressed by their money and perceived glamour. They build up a debt to them and are coerced into paying that off by doing them this 'favour'.
  • While working in Ibiza, the two girls get involved with these gangster types and are impressed by their money and perceived glamour. They're asked to act as drug mules for a big pay-off and have their heads turned by the money on offer.

Imo even if they were fairly normal girls back home, both stories seem equally plausible. In that environment drugs are totally commonplace, and it'd be easy for young and naive people to completely disregard the moral side of whether it's right or wrong to be helping the trade in something that they were surrounded by all the time anyway. I suspect that the truth is somewhere between these two extremes: they'll probably have been quite happy to go along with the whole thing up to a point and if they did get to a point where they realised they were in too deep it probably was too late to go back.

Either way, they'll have a ***** of a time proving that they were coerced. The bottom line is that they should have a fair trial and be punished accordingly and following whatever precedent has been set...but that doesn't mean that one can't feel sorry for them. They're wee lassies who at some point along the line have made a very big mistake.

You are of course, completely right. I will admit though, that the level of sorrow I feel for them would increase significantly if they showed some remorse for what they have done - and acknowlege some level of responsibility.

• Replies 345
  • Created
  • Last Reply

While working in Ibiza, the two girls get involved with these gangster types and are impressed by their money and perceived glamour. They build up a debt to them and are coerced into paying that off by doing them this 'favour'.

I'm not sure of the law in Peru but I'd severely doubt even if that were the case it would amount to a defence of coercion. There is usually a requirement that the person have no other option to not do it as there is an immediate threat of death or serious harm to them or another (which is what they have said) rather than what you describe as they got in to debt and had to do this to pay it off.

Creepy Lurker

I'm not sure of the law in Peru but I'd severely doubt even if that were the case it would amount to a defence of coercion. There is usually a requirement that the person have no other option to not do it as there is an immediate threat of death or serious harm to them or another (which is what they have said) rather than what you describe as they got in to debt and had to do this to pay it off.

I'm not altogether sure of how you think this relates to my post. I wasn't suggesting that whether or not they were coerced should have an impact on whether or not they're found guilty.

You are of course, completely right. I will admit though, that the level of sorrow I feel for them would increase significantly if they showed some remorse for what they have done - and acknowlege some level of responsibility.

Probably not the best idea to do so before any trial.

Stuart McNeill

I've just started reading about this thread and it dawned on me while on holiday I seen a Facebook picture and it was her family thinking that she had got lost.

Turns out she's drug mule

What sentence do they deserve though? A slap on the wrist and deportation home?

Life sucks. This is another example.

I have no idea. I don't have the slightest club how guilty they are or what the real circumstances were the ultimately led to their arrest.

I'll reserve all judgement until the facts come out - which may well be never. They'll unlikely get a proper trial as the judicial system is completely bent.

Geoff Kilpatrick

I have no idea. I don't have the slightest club how guilty they are or what the real circumstances were the ultimately led to their arrest.

I'll reserve all judgement until the facts come out - which may well be never. They'll unlikely get a proper trial as the judicial system is completely bent.

I've no idea about the ins and outs of Peruvian justice but I think it is a tad prejudical to say that the system there is bent.

Nothing innocent about Melissa Reid according to her flatmate in Ibiza:

http://www.dailyrecord.co.uk/news/uk-world-news/peru-drug-arrests-pal-melissa-2181497

"hey guys, im having a drugs party! you in?"

"aww cool. we love drugs parties. is it byob?"

"bring your own bong?"

"yes. b for bong instead of bottle. Because we are young and love drugs parties. MMM IM GONNA TAKE SO MANY COCAINES!!"

Creepy Lurker

Nothing innocent about Melissa Reid according to her flatmate in Ibiza:

http://www.dailyreco...melissa-2181497

Don't really see how this does anything other than confirm what most people on here have said about them getting involved with the wrong crowd initially.

As an aside, I don't understand why the girl in that article has obviously chosen not to be named. Given that anyone who knows them personally will know who lived in the flat, it's not like she's really protecting her identity.

Maroon Sailor

Cashing in at her "friends" expense, lower than a snakes belly.

No doubt this Reid girl will do so in the future

Guest GhostHunter

Conveniently, the Daily Rancid "chose" not to identify the source.

Hmmm.

But hey, whatever it takes to sell newspapers, right...

Incorrect - her pupils are not dilated.

She's a grunter however.

Guilty.

Incorrect - her pupils are not dilated.

Mydriasis does not necessarily always follow drug use.

Guilty.

Creepy Lurker

She's a grunter however.

Guilty.

I've inspected her Facebook and would give her a 6/10. Probably would, but wouldn't boast about it afterwards. She has some 8/10 pals, though.

Imagine grassing your pal to the papers :facepalm:

To be fair they didn't really sound like that good pals :lol:

If some wild eyed bint contributed to me leaving early by constantly doing drugs and bringing strangers back to my apartment, I'd be inclined to grass her up for a bit of ? as well.

To be fair they didn't really sound like that good pals :lol:

If some wild eyed bint contributed to me leaving early by constantly doing drugs and bringing strangers back to my apartment, I'd be inclined to grass her up for a bit of ? as well.

The Record doesnt sell well with peruvian judges either.

Chris Benoit

"hey guys, im having a drugs party! you in?"

"aww cool. we love drugs parties. is it byob?"

"bring your own bong?"

"yes. b for bong instead of bottle. Because we are young and love drugs parties. MMM IM GONNA TAKE SO MANY COCAINES!!"

Brilliant :lol:

Terrible, terrible article and the "source" sounds like a right buzzkill!

Snake Plissken

Hard not to feel at least a little sorry for them.

Whatever mistakes they've made, they're about to pay very heavily for.

deesidejambo

So much then for the "I was kidnapped and coerced at gunpoint to carry cases of food from Peru" story. Its simply a load of tosh. She should fess up and perhaps the sentence will be more lenient. But if she does indeed weave a story about being kidnapped and forced to go at gunpoint then she shouldn't complain if she gets a longer sentence.

Yup.

A series of daft decisions clearly led to something far worse than they (or most people) would have expected.

Franklin Delano Bluth

So much then for the "I was kidnapped and coerced at gunpoint to carry cases of food from Peru" story. Its simply a load of tosh. She should fess up and perhaps the sentence will be more lenient. But if she does indeed weave a story about being kidnapped and forced to go at gunpoint then she shouldn't complain if she gets a longer sentence.

You think if she fesses up they'll be more lenient? Seriously?

It's headline news in the UK and it may be headline news in Peru. They'll chuck the book at them to show everyone they are 'serious' about drug traffickers.

Creepy Lurker

Itt: binary thinking.

deesidejambo

It's headline news in the UK and it may be headline news in Peru. They'll chuck the book at them to show everyone they are 'serious' about drug traffickers.

I do think they have the option to get a lesser sentence, especially if they at the same time give information that may lead to catching those behind the smuggling. Their Lawyers will currently be discussing what the best option for them is. Plea bargaining will be ongoing.

But saying they were forced at gunpoint and at the same they didn't know there were drugs in the case is nonsense and could indeed result in the book being thrown at them, expecially as Peru police are currently checking out their stories.

article-2395955-1B45C8FF000005DC-351_306x498.jpg

I thought Boy George would have kept his head down after his last stint in prison.

Not looking good for her - she already has a record.

Maroon Sailor

Not looking good for her - she already has a record.

It's just the vinyl touch to her outfit

Brilliant :lol:

Terrible, terrible article and the "source" sounds like a right buzzkill!

:lol: my thoughts exactly.

What did she think she was signing up for when she wanted to go work in Ibiza for the summer? :lol:

They'll get a lesser sentence if they confess and plead guilty.

scots civil war

finding it hilarious tbh,silly silly bints

some ******* head gear the irish has been wearing tho eh

one minute minnie mouse next minute boy george with a mouldy old record on top

Creepy Lurker

I'd put the Irish bird somewhere between 7.5 and 8.5/10. Would need to see more pictures to get more specific than that.

Maroon Sailor

I'd put the Irish bird somewhere between 7.5 and 8.5/10. Would need to see more pictures to get more specific than that.

She'll drop to a 3/10 after a couple of months locked up in that shithole

Creepy Lurker

She'll drop to a 3/10 after a couple of months locked up in that shithole

Perfect time to pounce, imo. While she's vulnerable. Carpe diem. Yolo.

Don't really see how this does anything other than confirm what most people on here have said about them getting involved with the wrong crowd initially.

As an aside, I don't understand why the girl in that article has obviously chosen not to be named. Given that anyone who knows them personally will know who lived in the flat, it's not like she's really protecting her identity.

Maybe she doesn't fancy her name being linked to the case from now to eternity on t'interweb?

Anyway, have been to Peru a couple of times. Both occasions were the only times I have gone through hand luggage searches when getting off the plane (both at Schipol).

Have also flown in and out of numerous South American airports. You'd need to have balls of steel, be extremely stupid or be extremely scared of something else to risk smuggling anything through any of them.

Being reported that photos on cameras show them together on beaches and balconies, probably in Ibiza as Peru is not warm enough at this time of year.

This blows their story that they had never met before the trip.

Being reported that photos on cameras show them together on beaches and balconies, probably in Ibiza as Peru is not warm enough at this time of year.

This blows their story that they had never met before the trip.

Where was it reported that they claim never to have met before their trip to Peru? I thought they both worked in the same bar in San Antonio?

deesidejambo

Reids father is claiming the photos of them smiling and drinking beer together was staged also by the gang to force them to look like happy holdaymakers for some unknown reason!! Its ridiculous. If they continue with this nonsense they should get maximum sentence. Fess up ladies.

Maroon Sailor

Formally charged and remanded in custody

Could be 3 years before they get to court

They are going nowhere fast

Formally charged and remanded in custody

Could be 3 years before they get to court

They are going nowhere fast

Oh dear!

Had a bit of sympathy for them when the story first broke, thought they were a bit naive, but now I'm not so sure, the pics on one of the girls camera showing the both of them together, photos may have been taken in Ibiza where they claimed they didn't know each other, and now CCTV footage of one of them out shopping in Peru.

Archived