British drug mules

Jam Tarts 1874

Jam Tarts 1874

Why is it that every time a British citizen gets caught smuggling drugs in another country we always get the "I didn't know what was in the bag", "I was forced to do it" crap? Do they think everybody is as stupid as they are?

The latest from the Scottish girl in Peru is laughable and she clearly deserves many years in jail.

One minute she is saying "I did not know that there were drugs in the bag", the next she is claiming that she was "forced at gunpoint". Well, if someone forced me at gunpoint to carry a bag I don't think that I would be assuming it was just some dirty holiday laundry! They knew alright and would have been well paid if they had got away with it.

An airport is a pretty secure environment, if they are telling the truth about being forced at gunpoint, all they had to do was say something at the check-in desk and they would have been fine.

• Replies 345
  • Created
  • Last Reply
deesidejambo

I saw the ridiculous explanation the Scottish girl gave. "We were forced at gunpoint to carry bags of food from Peru to Spain and we didn't know there were drugs in it!". i hope the Consul just tells them to admit the whole thing to try to get a shorter sentence. If they don't just lock them away for 20 years.

Prince Buaben

To me it sounds like she has went to Ibiza to work for the summer and got mixed up with the wrong people, done something stupid and had to go to Peru to smuggle the cocaine to pay off a debt or two.

Dagger Is Back

Why is it that every time a British citizen gets caught smuggling drugs in another country we always get the "I didn't know what was in the bag", "I was forced to do it" crap? Do they think everybody is as stupid as they are?

The latest from the Scottish girl in Peru is laughable and she clearly deserves many years in jail.

One minute she is saying "I did not know that there were drugs in the bag", the next she is claiming that she was "forced at gunpoint". Well, if someone forced me at gunpoint to carry a bag I don't think that I would be assuming it was just some dirty holiday laundry! They knew alright and would have been well paid if they had got away with it.

An airport is a pretty secure environment, if they are telling the truth about being forced at gunpoint, all they had to do was say something at the check-in desk and they would have been fine.

Absolutely. No doubt we'll have the wishy washy brigade all over this talking about these poor girls etc. etc.

Just think of the misery these drugs would have caused if they'd been successful.

Couple of bloody clowns.

To me it sounds like she has went to Ibiza to work for the summer and got mixed up with the wrong people, done something stupid and had to go to Peru to smuggle the cocaine to pay off a debt or two.

that's what I was thinking....went over to work there for the summer, get paid peanuts for bar work, trying to get punters into clubs ect and run up a coke bill they cant pay. rather than jump on the next plane home they decide to take up the offer of going over to peru and bringing drugs back with the promise of spending the rest of the summer season in Ibiza and it not costing them a penny as they would be looked after. silly silly girls as i'm sure they were just normal girls till they went over there for the summer till they caught the sun,sex, drink and drugs lifestyle ps they will get well pumped in the jails over there

The People's Chimp

Or more like got in with the wrong people, got into the coke and then had their stupidity taken advantage of, as opposed to them being forced into it.

The People's Chimp

Just think of the misery these drugs would have caused if they'd been successful.

:gok:

Or more like got in with the wrong people, got into the coke and then had their stupidity taken advantage of, as opposed to them being forced into it.

That sounds about right.

Naive people with little intelligence or life experience being taken advantage of.

Wonder how long they'll likely serve.

Prince Buaben

Maybe your right. A little too naive but fully aware of that they were doing.

Cosa minimum sentace is 6 years and 8 months apparently.

Why?

Not the jokey responses, more so the grumpy old men responses like

"Absolutely. No doubt we'll have the wishy washy brigade all over this talking about these poor girls etc. etc. Just think of the misery these drugs would have caused if they'd been successful. Couple of bloody clowns"

How does anyone actually know what happened? Clearly they are not international drug smuggling kingpins, they are a couple of teenage girls who were probably very stupid. To suggest they should be locked up and the key thrown away before a proper trial is mental.

Dagger Is Back

Not the jokey responses, more so the grumpy old men responses like

"Absolutely. No doubt we'll have the wishy washy brigade all over this talking about these poor girls etc. etc. Just think of the misery these drugs would have caused if they'd been successful. Couple of bloody clowns"

How does anyone actually know what happened? Clearly they are not international drug smuggling kingpins, they are a couple of teenage girls who were probably very stupid. To suggest they should be locked up and the key thrown away before a proper trial is mental.

Oi piss off! I can be a grumpy old man if I like. To be serious for a mo, you're right, they're not international movers and shakers but they were caught trying to smuggle 24lbs of coke worth ?1.5M. What are your views on the impact of using coke in our society by the way? And I stand by what I said. We'll have folks coming out now and saying how vulnerable these two were and how they were trapped into smuggling etc. etc. You're right, it does seem as if they were just being really stupid but they broke the law and if they'd been successful, many others would have suffered as a result of their actions.

By the way, they are absolutely entitled to a fair trial and HMG will make sure that happens I'm sure.

Guest GhostHunter

I get the impression they're telling the truth...and I've usually got no sympathy or patience for people who smuggle..

I will however, wait until I've seen the "Banged Up Abroad" episode before I form a conclusive decision.

deesidejambo

I get the impression they're telling the truth...and I've usually got no sympathy or patience for people who smuggle..

I will however, wait until I've seen the "Banged Up Abroad" episode before I form a conclusive decision.

Why do you think they are telling the truth? If they were indeed "forced" to fly from Ibiza to Peru, then "forced" to carry drugs, they had plenty opportunity to go to the authorities. And the excuse that, after all this "I was forced" nonsense, they then say they were unaware that it was drugs they were "forced" to carry, is an indication that they are simply lying. They should just come clean and hope for a shorter sentence. However if they try to weave a bunch of lies together they deserve a far longer sentence.

I am getting more wound up by the excitable interviews with the woman who was convicetd in Thailand 20 years ago. Susan Gregory?

She seems well excited at her 5 minutes of fame being repeated.

Absolutely. No doubt we'll have the wishy washy brigade all over this talking about these poor girls etc. etc.

Couple of bloody clowns.

I could have had a great time on them. A GREAT TIME.

Such a waste of good drugs.

* DISCLAIMER - I don't actually take drugs. Honest.

Guest GhostHunter

Why do you think they are telling the truth? If they were indeed "forced" to fly from Ibiza to Peru, then "forced" to carry drugs, they had plenty opportunity to go to the authorities. And the excuse that, after all this "I was forced" nonsense, they then say they were unaware that it was drugs they were "forced" to carry, is an indication that they are simply lying. They should just come clean and hope for a shorter sentence. However if they try to weave a bunch of lies together they deserve a far longer sentence.

Can't put my finger on it...just do.

That said though, why are they national news ? "Drug Mules" get caught pretty much every month, yet these 2 get on TV ?

deesidejambo

Can't put my finger on it...just do.

That said though, why are they national news ? "Drug Mules" get caught pretty much every month, yet these 2 get on TV ?

Its becau e they were videod getting caught at the airport.

Guest C00l K1d

Not believing it til i see the reconstruction.

More importantly the Scottish one described herself as British - should be thrown in the slammer for that alone.

The irish one, wearing a t-shirt that says Lavvy on it? Shit.

Burn the witches!

Maroon Sailor

I am getting more wound up by the excitable interviews with the woman who was convicetd in Thailand 20 years ago. Susan Gregory?

She seems well excited at her 5 minutes of fame being repeated.

She done alright out of being a drug smuggler.

And she knew what she was doing !

Silly trout even tried to get back in to Thailand about 4 years ago

rossthejambo

Really? And it's the girls that are naive.

These drug smugglers are hardly going to be amateurs, they'll have threatened them with all sorts if they went to the authorities. If these girls are naive and stupid, they're hardly going to disbelieve the folk behind it all if they've been threatening their families or whatever should they grass them up.

They could have been fully aware, they might well have been forced at gunpoint, my guess it's somewhere in the middle in all honesty, but some of the responses on here are ridiculous.

"I was forced into it" and "I didn't know what I was carrying" are two of the oldest excuses in the book.

And they are very rarely accepted by the courts.

They're fecked.

deesidejambo

These drug smugglers are hardly going to be amateurs, they'll have threatened them with all sorts if they went to the authorities. If these girls are naive and stupid, they're hardly going to disbelieve the folk behind it all if they've been threatening their families or whatever should they grass them up.

They could have been fully aware, they might well have been forced at gunpoint, my guess it's somewhere in the middle in all honesty, but some of the responses on here are ridiculous.

I think the reason for the responses are that in the interview the girl gave non-consistent explanations. She said she was forced to carry the case but then she said she was unaware that it contained drugs. You can't reasonably claim both. If someone was forced at gunpoint to carry a case through an airport in Peru to Majorca it would be reasonable to think that they would be aware that the contents were likely contain drugs.

My point is simple - they should just come clean and give a consistent honest explanation. If indeed they were forced to do it then that will be considered in the case, but saying they were forced to carry cases from Peru and they didn't know what was in them is going to discredit their case.

Well I'm a wishy-washy liberal Guardian reader and it annoys me that we're supposed to be boo-hoo-hoo because they're pretty young white European women. Ticks all the boxes, feel sorry for them etc etc.

Franklin Delano Bluth

What Ross said above.

It's all very well going to the authorities... but if the drug smugglers are in anyway professional, it's not difficult to force them to take the drugs. They don't even need to follow through with threats, just make them, and naive, young girls will believe them.

Well I'm a wishy-washy liberal Guardian reader and it annoys me that we're supposed to be boo-hoo-hoo because they're pretty young white European women. Ticks all the boxes, feel sorry for them etc etc.

When did anyone mention it being because they're 'pretty young European women'. You're turning it into a gender/race(?) issue, not anyone else.

Going by the bikini shots of the Irish one, she is clearly smuggling more than just cocaine.

Linky?

:brows:

deesidejambo

What Ross said above.

It's all very well going to the authorities... but if the drug smugglers are in anyway professional, it's not difficult to force them to take the drugs. They don't even need to follow through with threats, just make them, and naive, young girls will believe them.

Fine, but then don't say you didn't know what you were being forced to carry.

Franklin Delano Bluth

Fine, but then don't say you didn't know what you were being forced to carry.

They probably didn't actually know. They probably had a suspicion. If I was wanting to get 1.5 mil of coke from Peru to Majorca, I wouldn't tell the smugglers what is in the bag. I'd just give it to them and say 'drop this off to **** at ****'.

Oh; and they were almost certainly told 'deny all knowledge of anything' by said drug smugglers.

deesidejambo

They probably didn't actually know. They probably had a suspicion. If I was wanting to get 1.5 mil of coke from Peru to Majorca, I wouldn't tell the smugglers what is in the bag. I'd just give it to them and say 'drop this off to **** at ****'.

Oh; and they were almost certainly told 'deny all knowledge of anything' by said drug smugglers.

As long as they now come clean and tell the truth the Court will consider that. However if they continue the "we were forced to at gunpoint but we didn't know what we were carrying" is unlikely to get them very far in court and it may result in a longer sentence.

Franklin Delano Bluth

As long as they now come clean and tell the truth the Court will consider that. However if they continue the "we were forced to at gunpoint but we didn't know what we were carrying" is unlikely to get them very far in court and it may result in a longer sentence.

They're ****ed either way, tbf. They will throw the full book at them.

dobmisterdobster

Reminds me of that awful "Banged Up Abroad" programme where they try to make you feel sorry for "naive" drug smugglers.

I don't feel sorry. You are destroying people's lives with those substances.

What Ross said above.

When did anyone mention it being because they're 'pretty young European women'. You're turning it into a gender/race(?) issue, not anyone else.

Yes I am turning it into a gender/ race issue because I reckon if they were young Jamaican men the reporting would be very different.

Maroon Sailor

You are destroying people's lives with those substances.

So can alcohol

Franklin Delano Bluth

Yes I am turning it into a gender/ race issue because I reckon if they were young Jamaican men the reporting would be very different.

Okay. Cool.

Creepy Lurker

How creepy.

Was about to say the same.

The story doesn't check out at all. Seems like they're daft wee lassies who've made a very stupid mistake. I do feel sorry for them, but ultimately there's no reason why they should be exempt from the law. Those with issues regarding the Peruvian justice system should be doing something to change it, not just deciding it's a disgrace when it affects white, European females.

rossthejambo

I can't imagine that we'd know anything about it if they were Jamaican. The very fact that they're British is pretty much the only reason we're aware of it.

It's a British news story FFS.

This!!!

I believe their account of what happened and I also have the impression that some people in authority believe them as well.

In any case i wish people would show some compassion for the girls families it must be a nightmare for them.

No sympathy - if they are stupid and naive as they would have us believe then they should never have been out working in Ibiza.

They knew exactly what they were doing & what they were transporting and got caught when music stopped.

If they can't do the time then don't do the crime.

It seems to me that whenever a Brit gets caught abroad they are always a victim and that the judicial system in the area is reported as at best corrupt but generally not up to scratch.

I'm I really bad to say I couldn't care less?

They were caught trying to smuggle drugs. It happens.

They'll likely get rich in 20 years time selling their stories once they're out of jail anyway.

Archived