"Please put the item in the bagging area"

Craigieboy

I don't get the seethe at self service checkouts. They always seem to work fine for me.

Scan item, put item in bag in bagging area, allow a second for it to register, scan next item...

There 100% should be an aptitude test for these.

Too many fowk not knowing what the **** you actually have to do.

Scan then bag. Rinse & repeat.

I don't have any trouble.

But she could do with giving you a bit more time to put the items in the bagging area.

I use self-service all the time in Tesco and Sainsburys and never had any trouble with them. Asda chesser last week was a different kettle of fish.

Scan. Put in bag. "Please put the item in the bagging area."

Take it back out. Put it in again. "Please put the item in the bagging area."

WTF

Get the boy over to fix it.

Scan next item. Put it in the bag. "Please put the item in the bagging area."

:seething:

It also froze completely when I tried to select payment type. In summary, the Asda ones are pish.

Maroon Sailor

In summary, the Asda ones are pish.

They certainly are

Easy to use, rarely have a problem.

only time i seem to have a problem is when the weight of a light item doesnt register like ginger, chillies etc.

there should be an option to allow you to put items straight into your trolley like crates of beer & other large items

They're up there with charity baggers in my supermarket shopping seethe.

Remember a couple of months ago in Morrisons turing from aisle to checkouts and......oh for fecks sake, charity baggers....maybe there's a checkout free....no, the sods are everywhere, even double teaming at some of them....self scanning? No, too much shopping and there's only so many times you can hear 'Please wait for bagging assistant' before you want to hit someone....so go to checkout and explain to guy you have no spare cash and you had to borrow a ?1 from customer services to get a trolley as you had no free cash (true).....and he looks at you as though you're a tight git who cares nothing for autism....so leave supermarket feeling like a pr1ck.

This country.

Ahem anyway, what annoys me about the self scanning is you hit the 'Own bags' option and then it's "unidentified item in bagging area".

Grinds my gears.

Easy to use, rarely have a problem.

only time i seem to have a problem is when the weight of a light item doesnt register like ginger, chillies etc.

there should be an option to allow you to put items straight into your trolley like crates of beer & other large items

Asda scanners have this option, once you have put it through you can push a button not to bag the items

really easy to use. my only gripe is that they're doing someone out if a job - but they need designed, built and maintained so its probably not much of a net loss.

my real gripe is with people who are too thick to use them.

really easy to use. my only gripe is that they're doing someone out if a job - but they need designed, built and maintained so its probably not much of a net loss.

My father in law asked for the manager when they came out and proceeded to give him a lecture on the loss of jobs and lack of the personal touch.

Kind of agree, but.....

:cornette:

Hannibal Lecter

The only time that I find these things a pain are if the weight of something is different to what is registered on the system, usually if it is a frozen item with loads of ice on it :lol:

I suspect there have been more jobs created than removed. depending how far back in the production you want to look you need people to develop the software, manufacturers to make the hardware, installation engineers, maintainance team etc all of which will demand higher salaries. Surely a good thing?

The ones at Morrison's at Hunter's Tryst were terrible up until recently, but I think they're ok now; just as well really, because there's never that many other checkouts open.

My father in law threw a strop up there a few weeks back. He refused to use the self service and in turn the shop assistant refused to open a normal checkout. He left ?100 worth of shopping at the checkout and walked off in a huff vowing never to return to the shop he'd been using for nearly 30 years. :vrface:

I do like a good old supermarket seethe thread though. :biggrin:

What really gets my goat is....

"you got a club card"?

"Er, No" (if i did i would have given you it) :muggy:

"Would you like a club card"?

"No thanks" :muggy:

"Are you collecting vouchers for schools"?

"Er, No" (what is that all about anyway) :muggy:

"Would you like a bag"?

"Yes please" (feel like saying "what do you think") :cornette:

"Would you like a hand to pack"

"No thanks" (I'm more than capable thanks):seething:

I always feel like I've got to say "er, no" as opposed to just "no" which sounds grumpy and abrupt, even though I feel like being grumpy and abrupt but I don't want to be an arse. :lol:

I suspect there have been more jobs created than removed. depending how far back in the production you want to look you need people to develop the software, manufacturers to make the hardware, installation engineers, maintainance team etc all of which will demand higher salaries. Surely a good thing?

as I say, not sure about the net loss. I'd argue though that jobs are being taken away from a section of society - unskilled women largely - that can't bear the brunt as easily as people involved in the creation and upkeep of the self service machines.

there are far greater injustices in the world but, at the risk of sounding like Harvey keitel in reservoir dogs on the subject of tipping, the net loss or benefit would hide the fact that its poorer folk getting dicked over in this exchange.

although thinking about it, I like them as I'm currently able to buy a beautiful pink lady apple (66p) and an alright golden delicious (40p) for just 80p for my breakfast all thanks to a little slight of hand at the till. I get a healthy snack, I save 26p and I feel like Paul bloody Daniels.

You don't get that with auld Aggie at the till.

I do like a good old supermarket seethe thread though. :biggrin:

What really gets my goat is....

"you got a club card"?

"Er, No" (if i did i would have given you it) :muggy:

"Would you like a club card"?

"No thanks" :muggy:

"Are you collecting vouchers for schools"?

"Er, No" (what is that all about anyway) :muggy:

"Would you like a bag"?

"Yes please" (feel like saying "what do you think") :cornette:

"Would you like a hand to pack"

"No thanks" (I'm more than capable thanks):seething:

I always feel like I've got to say "er, no" as opposed to just "no" which sounds grumpy and abrupt, even though I feel like being grumpy and abrupt but I don't want to be an arse. :lol:

I agree, but working part time in Tesco, I can say that all the above is drilled into us and if we don't ask the above questions, then we will fail mystery shopper. Which for us means no bonus on payday!

On the topic of self service, I can't believe the amount of people that can't use them. They really are simple to use. There is very occasionally a time when it will come up with a problem, but 95% of the time the problem is the customer not using it right! Although i can understand why people don't like them, and hearing that bitches voice hundreds of times a day drives me insane!! Rant over. :)

I agree, but working part time in Tesco, I can say that all the above is drilled into us and if we don't ask the above questions, then we will fail mystery shopper. Which for us means no bonus on payday!

On the topic of self service, I can't believe the amount of people that can't use them. They really are simple to use. There is very occasionally a time when it will come up with a problem, but 95% of the time the problem is the customer not using it right! Although i can understand why people don't like them, and hearing that bitches voice hundreds of times a day drives me insane!! Rant over. :)

I can see where you're coming from mate. You'd get your arse felt for not giving your pitch.

Still nippy though :lol:

Not as bad as Lidl checkout staff, who are required to scan 500,000 items an hour and you end up like a wee bairn playing "Double or Drop" with a huge mountain of piled up shopping accumulating at the end of the checkout.

Asda scanners have this option, once you have put it through you can push a button not to bag the items

Yep, and you just take the shopping off the ones in sainsburys and push a button then you're good to go. In tesco you request a sub total then take your shopping off. As previously said, a frightening number of people are incapable of using these machines properly and they probably shouldn't even be let out the house alone.

Not as bad as Lidl checkout staff, who are required to scan 500,000 items an hour and you end up like a wee bairn playing "Double or Drop" with a huge mountain of piled up shopping accumulating at the end of the checkout.

Maybe not pack your bags at the till and not hold everyone else up then. It's your own fault for shopping there anyway :lol:

There you are standing with a couple of things and you've got the money ready and the checkout operator says "?8.20 please" to the bursd ahead of you and she acts all surprised and it's into the huge handbag for the purse. Then it's into the huge purse for the money. Then it's "oh, hold on - I think I've got change. Then it's "oh, hold on - I've got these tokens, can I still use these?".......

There you are standing with a couple of things and you've got the money ready and the checkout operator says "?8.20 please" to the bursd ahead of you and she acts all surprised and it's into the huge handbag for the purse. Then it's into the huge purse for the money. Then it's "oh, hold on - I think I've got change. Then it's "oh, hold on - I've got these tokens, can I still use these?".......

:Agree:

Also, some folk are oblivious to what is going on around them and don't notice how much they're in other people's way by blocking aisles with their trolleys. Keep to one side if you can and don't leave your trolley in the centre of the aisle while you browse the items FFS!!!!!!!!!

:muggy:

Sure I mentioned this in the seethe thread ages ago. Cretins.

...a bit disco

:Agree:

Also, some folk are oblivious to what is going on around them and don't notice how much they're in other people's way by blocking aisles with their trolleys. Keep to one side if you can and don't leave your trolley in the centre of the aisle while you browse the items FFS!!!!!!!!!

:muggy:

Oh they're not oblivious in the slightest. Vindictive scumholes.

I remember before I moved up here I used to shop in the Safeway on ferry road. They had a self scan thing you took around the shop with you. When you returned your scanner, the first couple of times, you needed to then go to the check out. Then, after that, you only got checked occasionally.

It was amazing that, whenever I got my random check, the next 3 times I shopped there, I FORGOT to scan the odd thing

The only issue i have had was the ones in asda cant recognise the new clydesdale ?20 so i had to get a member of staff to go to another till and change it for one that it could recognise

Do people really have trouble with self service checkouts?

Seriously?

You can't have been to Morrisons before. They obviously had the cost controller involved because they've purchased the shannest machines. Decent help that their staff are total ***** as well.

I don't have any trouble.

But she could do with giving you a bit more time to put the items in the bagging area.

I find the machines struggle to keep up with me.......

I hate self service checkouts. I always pick the person over the robot.

"unexpected item in bagging area, please remove this item before continuing" a common sound from those barsteward things.

The only issue i have had was the ones in asda cant recognise the new clydesdale ?20 so i had to get a member of staff to go to another till and change it for one that it could recognise

Think that's bad, it doesn't even get accepted as legal tender down here in the SW. :rofl:

Rudi Skacel

Only time I need the self service checkout person to help is when I buy alcohol and they need to verify im over 18. Apart from that I have no issues.

Really simple to use and I much prefer it.

Now that they give you the option of bringing your own bag, they are fine.

Used to annoy me when they first came out and you had scan all the shopping, put the shopping on the wee bit where the bags are and fill your bag up at the end.

Guest C00l K1d

I go almost every day to Morrisons to pick up a few things for lunch.

I've fecking gave up.

Before i even scan items, i open the bag to get it ready for the stuff.

''Please remove the last item from the bagging area''

IVE NO PUT **** ALL IN IT YOU BOOT.

Think that's bad, it doesn't even get accepted as legal tender down here in the SW. :rofl:

That's because they're not legal tender :curtain:

Private Womble

I go almost every day to Morrisons to pick up a few things for lunch.

I've fecking gave up.

Before i even scan items, i open the bag to get it ready for the stuff.

''Please remove the last item from the bagging area''

IVE NO PUT **** ALL IN IT YOU BOOT.

Why not just buy all your lunches for the week? Feck doing that every day. :lol:

Guest C00l K1d

Why not just buy all your lunches for the week? Feck doing that every day. :lol:

Gets me out of the yard. Even if it's just for 15/20 mins!

Private Womble

Gets me out of the yard. Even if it's just for 15/20 mins!

Fair enough, I try to stay away from any form of shopping unless I really need to.

I always reply "yes" to the question would you like a hand to pack.

It really pisses them off especially when you only have 3 or 4 items.

The look of hate in there eyes is magic.

Well you asked the fecking question.

If you dont like the answer dont ask the question.

Or

Do your weekly shop at 7 in the morning so they are forced to open a checkout because you cant possably get 20 items on the crappy scales.

Oh and yes , yes my blue rinsed friend i would love you to help me pack these bags.

the sub goalie

They are handy when you are nipping in to pick up just a couple of things but I can't stand when folk have a trolley rammed with their weekly shop on the self scan.

Inconsiderate gits :veryangry:

"Would you like a bag for that?"

"NO I AM JUST GOING TO FECKING HOLD IT ALL IN MY POCKETS ALL THE WAY HOME!!!"

Jambos_1874

"unexpected item in bagging area, please remove this item before continuing" a common sound from those barsteward things.

That really p*sses me off!! What exactly was it expecting!!

Archived