"Blue Lagoon" in Derbyshire dyed Black

tian447

A pool at a disused Derbyshire quarry, known locally as the Blue Lagoon, has been dyed black in a bid to deter people from swimming in it.

Despite the water at the quarry at Harpur Hill, near Buxton, having a pH level of 11.3 dozens of people still swim there.

Bleach has a pH level of 12.3 and signs warn swimmers the water could cause skin complaints.

Swimmers are also warned the water contains rubbish and dead animals.

A High Peak Borough Council spokeswoman said the pool contained vehicle parts, "all sorts of rubbish" and warned that the water temperature was "extremely cold".

So all the signs dotted around the entire thing warning you that you are almost swimming in bleach, and the fact it even looked such a toxic and dangerous shade of blue weren't enough to stop idiots from swimming in the damn thing :vrface:

Not to mention the fact it's a disused quarry, which is dangerous enough in it's own right.

No, what finally might stop people swimming in a chemical bath is the fact it's being dyed black.

_68081544_62282445.jpg_68081537_blackwater1.jpg

I really do despair over the sheer stupidity of the human race sometimes.

Leave the warning signs up, making sure they are clear - then just let natural selection take it's course....

:whistling:

Why is swimming in an abandoned quarry dangerous?

I know it is and would never do it but I honestly don't know why. Would the sides cave in?

Telford Jambo

Drowning is the Leading Cause of Death

Drowning is the number one cause of death in abandoned mines. Most people involved in this type of accident went to a quarry for swimming. Quarries are extremely dangerous places to swim. Steep drop-offs, deep water, sharp rocks, flooded equipment, submerged wire and industrial waste can make swimming risky.

Another risk factor is the very cold water. Many quarry operations excavate to depths below the water table and use pumps to keep the mine dry while it is in operation. When mining stops the pumps are turned off and the quarry floods by the inflow of cold ground water. This ground water inflow can keep the quarry water very cold even in late summer.

Jumping or falling into cold water can be fatal - even for a young healthy person. Here is a quote from the National Institute of Health on how a body responds to sudden immersion in cold water...

A fall in skin temperature elicits a powerful cardiorespiratory response, termed "cold shock," comprising an initial gasp, hypertension, and hyperventilation despite a profound hypocapnia. [...] The respiratory responses to skin cooling override both conscious and other autonomic respiratory controls and may act as a precursor to drowning.

Don't Go Swimming in a Quarry

Most deaths that occur in abandoned mines and quarries are drownings. Most of the people who drown didn't fall in by accident. They went there to swim. Don't swim in a quarry. The water can be dangerously cold, there are no lifeguards, no rescue equipment and it is simply not safe.

Dusk_Till_Dawn

Why is swimming in an abandoned quarry dangerous?

I know it is and would never do it but I honestly don't know why. Would the sides cave in?

Most of the pools at quarries are fecking freezing, like ultra cold. Can cause all sorts of grief.

Boaby Ewing

Most of the pools at quarries are fecking freezing, like ultra cold. Can cause all sorts of grief.

Add in the amount of chemicals and shit from the mining process and off the rocks themselves. Discarded waste. Dead animals. Shopping trolleys. Needles. Shopping trolleys with needles strapped to them.

Aye, can't imagine at all why it'd be a daft idea. :laugh:

Archived