"Cycle tweet" girl

The People's Chimp

The People's Chimp

Has anyone been following the 'cycle tweet' story about a girl, Emma Way, who ran a cyclist off the road, didn't stop, then later tweeted "?Definitely knocked a cyclist off his bike earlier. I have right of way - he doesn't even pay road tax! #Bloodycyclists."

She's clearly an outright moron, but I see she has now "apologised" - Sadly she apologises for her tweet, and not her poor driving or the accident. So many things wrong with her behaviour, her decisions and her attitude. She gets a hugely soft time from the interviewer as well, given she appears to be solely taken with self pity about her errant tweeting, rather than remorse at her having driven in a manner which could have killed someone, and her later dehumanising of the cyclist she ran off the road.

The People's Chimp

Unfortunately you can't treat stupid.

A conviction for dangerous driving, a driving ban and a place at the back of the dole queue would be a start though.

:jjyay:

Franklin Delano Bluth

I wonder how many followers she gained. Probably a 'twitter celeb' now

:cornette:

Dr. Bapswent

'he doesn't even pay road tax' :lol:

Worthy of a :cornette:

Because she can guarantee he also doesn't have a car?

She should not only be arrested and charged with dangerous driving, but also leaving the scene of a crime.

Or run over herself, seeing as she considers it such a minor offence...

itsnomarooned

Because she can guarantee he also doesn't have a car?

She should not only be arrested and charged with dangerous driving, but also leaving the scene of a crime.

Or run over herself, seeing as she considers it such a minor offence...

I think the Police tweeted her saying she needed to report the accident. I guess it was just too complicated for them to do some quick investigation and pay a visit in person.

Snake Plissken

There's no such thing as 'road tax', the maintenance of the roads are paid for by centralised taxes.

Basically everyone in the UK who pays taxes will contribute to the upkeep of roads.

Dr. Bapswent

I think the Police tweeted her saying she needed to report the accident. I guess it was just too complicated for them to do some quick investigation and pay a visit in person.

Arrested via a tweet... what will they think of next?

She will be terriied as she is a trainee accountant and I'm pretty sure you can't do that if you have a criminal record.

Dr. Bapswent

She will be terriied as she is a trainee accountant and I'm pretty sure you can't do that if you have a criminal record.

I do very very much hope so

Rick James

There is justice for stupidity.

I watched the interview and what annoyed me most was the weasel lawyer trying to deflect as much as possible.

It's about time that the simple act of leaving an accident is an immediate fine/points.

She says she thought the cyclist was OK; how she knew this, and why she actually claims to give a damn as her ridiculous tweet suggested she was proud of it and thought she could get brownie points for her disgraceful driving, you have to question.

There has to be something done to change this attitude of entitlement to the road from any party sharing it. But I doubt anything will happen, when you have that idiot from Edinburgh who has now killed two cyclists and still isn't banned for life nor doing a stretch in the poky, well it's patently obvious, isn't it.

The law and the courts do not value the lives of cyclists.

SpikeDudley

supposedly the cyclist wasn't going to report the incident until he found out about the whole shitstorm on twitter, which suggests to me that it couldn't have been that serious.

Failure to stop and failure to report an accident (within 24 hours) are both crimes.

Edit: for reference - https://www.gov.uk/h...s/penalty-table

I can't follow that link to see how stringent the penalties are. What has frustrated many people is that you get an accident of this kind often with fleeing the scene, no insurance, tax etc and there never seems to be a tallying up of all these offences. Regularly on road.cc you'll see this discussed, and the sentences are often derisory to be an insult to the dead.

There's no such thing as 'road tax', the maintenance of the roads are paid for by centralised taxes.

Basically everyone in the UK who pays taxes will contribute to the upkeep of roads.

the tax must be getting diverted somewhere else in edinburgh(pothole central) smooth tram line possibly

supposedly the cyclist wasn't going to report the incident until he found out about the whole shitstorm on twitter, which suggests to me that it couldn't have been that serious.

Or that he thought he'd be ignored.

Dr. Bapswent

yeah probably, bloody cyclists eh.

DougieHMFC

Was probably his fault ::troll:::'>

yep it is now vehicle excise duty, which is based on emissions (i think older cars due to engine size) so a cyclist would be eligible for vehicle excise duty of ?0 per year

I P Knightley

Has anyone been following the 'cycle tweet' story about a girl, Emma Way, who ran a cyclist off the road, didn't stop, then later tweeted "?Definitely knocked a cyclist off his bike earlier. I have right of way - he doesn't even pay road tax! #Bloodycyclists."

She's clearly an outright moron, but I see she has now "apologised" - Sadly she apologises for her tweet, and not her poor driving or the accident. So many things wrong with her behaviour, her decisions and her attitude. She gets a hugely soft time from the interviewer as well, given she appears to be solely taken with self pity about her errant tweeting, rather than remorse at her having driven in a manner which could have killed someone, and her later dehumanising of the cyclist she ran off the road.

I get the sense that many press apologies are not for the serious offence (e.g. being racist) but for the 'error' of having communicated that fact via a social medium.

The guy in Woolwich will apologise for having appeared unkempt in the witness video.

She'd get pumped silly.

For that reason, I hope it all works out for her.

We are all Emma Way :(

She'd get pumped silly.

For that reason, I hope it all works out for her.

We are all Emma Way :(

She should be getting pumped silly by some dock wearing lifer in the local nick, if I was the cyclist I would sue the shite out of the daft bint.

Franklin Delano Bluth

23679d1369068974-twit-run-c08ed8549113efe7d79cf0b02acdc6fb.jpeg

:pinilla:

Some awfy precious souls on here, like. Someone clips a cyclist, they both continue on their way = she tried to kill him.

The cyclist wasn't going to report it, neither was she. Hardly a 20 car pileup on the M8, eh?

By they way: cyclists are like the Liverpool/Celtic of the road. Always the bloody victim.

I P Knightley

Some awfy precious souls on here, like. Someone clips a cyclist, they both continue on their way = she tried to kill him.

The cyclist wasn't going to report it, neither was she. Hardly a 20 car pileup on the M8, eh?

By they way: cyclists are like the Liverpool/Celtic of the road. Always the bloody victim.

You've not looked at her in the video clip, then?

You're welcome to her.

Franklin Delano Bluth

You've not looked at her in the video clip, then?

You're welcome to her.

Woman in looking rough because she's had the press camped out in front of her house, death threats and abuse on a social media site, shocker.

The human says she definately hit a fellow human with a reckless ton of metal but had no idea whether he lived. I know this is a wind up thread. Some of us have survived this ignorarrogance when perhaps we shouldn't. I find it painful to laugh at your defence of this sort of, Thing.

An attempted murder charge would be the minimum acceptable course open to a caring society.

maroongoals

A conviction for dangerous driving, a driving ban and a place at the back of the dole queue would be a start though.

:jjyay:

for the cyclist? :devilish:

The human says she definately hit a fellow human with a reckless ton of metal but had no idea whether he lived. I know this is a wind up thread. Some of us have survived this ignorarrogance when perhaps we shouldn't. I find it painful to laugh at your defence of this sort of, Thing.

An attempted murder charge would be the minimum acceptable course open to a caring society.

jq4b4y.jpg

Franklin Delano Bluth

6f7d7db4_350x700px-LL-4ad90b08_Not-sure-if-serious2.jpeg

I P Knightley

Woman in looking rough because she's had the press camped out in front of her house, death threats and abuse on a social media site, shocker.

...or, "squinty faced mounter piles on the slap, creating a soft-focus glam photo for inclusion on her social media pages."

You choose.

6f7d7db4_350x700px-LL-4ad90b08_Not-sure-if-serious2.jpeg

Not sure what your substitute for rational debate signifies.

Serious. I nearly died in similar circumstances. Thats 20 years of season ticket money lost to the Mighty because some bint thinks her reality TV wannabe is more important than a man's life.

3/4 ton car v 8kg for a road bike? Hard to imagine them ever not being the victim. Except for those Zero people killed every year by cyclists..

The cyclist said he was lifted onto her bonnet and flung into a hedge - that's hardly a "clip". Incidentally, it only took a "clip" for Gary McCourt to kill his second cyclist, Audrey Fyfe.

Still, at least the cyclist in the incident is far more magnanimous and has a far better attitude towards his fellow road users than you do.

Franklin Delano Bluth

3/4 ton car v 8kg for a road bike? Hard to imagine them ever not being the victim. Except for those Zero people killed every year by cyclists..

The cyclist said he was lifted onto her bonnet and flung into a hedge - that's hardly a "clip". Incidentally, it only took a "clip" for Gary McCourt to kill his second cyclist, Audrey Fyfe.

Still, at least the cyclist in the incident is far more magnanimous and has a far better attitude towards his fellow road users than you do.

:rofl:

NOM NOM NOM

Not sure what your substitute for rational debate signifies.

Serious. I nearly died in similar circumstances. Thats 20 years of season ticket money lost to the Mighty because some bint thinks her reality TV wannabe is more important than a man's life.

Right. So haud on. Let's just get this straight, and let's just concentrate on this case. Because you can find any situation to suit an argument. People who are reckless and ignorant on the road are dangerous. Whether they drive a car, or a bike, or a scooter.

Case: At Waterloo Place, crossing from Leith Walk to the Bridges. Two lane street. Cyclist pulls up on the right, in the middle of the road beside the island. Two cars to the left in the lanes. The three vehicles set off, the cyclist immediately drifts into the car in the middle's way, forcing the car in the middle to drift to avoid the cyclist. Evil murdering driver, who is actively trying to avoid the cyclist who is aggressively drifting into them now has to avoid the bicycle by drifting to the left, forcing them into the way of the car on the furthest left. Car's fault? Really though? That's really the driver's fault?

Cyclists can be at fault just as much as drivers. When they make a mistake no one dies though.

Now, on this actual case (you know, the one that has **** all to do with your unfortunate case, or mine). One of the people is lying in this case. Is it the cyclist who wasn't going to report it, and has now changed his mind due to Twitter's reaction? Or is it the woman driver? Who drove off because she didn't think the cyclist was injured, she saw him standing upright, she claims. If the cyclist was really injured and concerned by it, surely he would have reported it? But he didn't. She could be pulling a fast one and lying. But then again, so could he. I don't now who is telling the truth, wasn't there.

not strictly true, yes it is very rare but it does happen

http://metro.co.uk/2009/08/12/cyclist-is-jailed-for-killing-by-1861-law-335527/

Case: At Waterloo Place, crossing from Leith Walk to the Bridges. Two lane street. Cyclist pulls up on the right, in the middle of the road beside the island. Two cars to the left in the lanes. The three vehicles set off, the cyclist immediately drifts into the car in the middle's way, forcing the car in the middle to drift to avoid the cyclist. Evil murdering driver, who is actively trying to avoid the cyclist who is aggressively drifting into them now has to avoid the bicycle by drifting to the left, forcing them into the way of the car on the furthest left. Car's fault? Really though? That's really the driver's fault?

Just to respond to the bit in bold...why couldn't the car driver slow down to avoid hitting the cyclist? Surely that would have been an appropriate course of evasive action?

Franklin Delano Bluth

Just to respond to the bit in bold...why couldn't the car driver slow down to avoid hitting the cyclist? Surely that would have been an appropriate course of evasive action?

When does slowing down become standing still, causing a car to ram you from behind?

Seriously. Cars have to slam on the brakes, cause a stand still, or drive into each others way, just so an aggressive cyclist who has no respect for fellow users of the road can change lanes like dafty?

jamboinglasgow

When does slowing down become standing still, causing a car to ram you from behind?

Seriously. Cars have to slam on the brakes, cause a stand still, or drive into each others way, just so an aggressive cyclist who has no respect for fellow users of the road can change lanes like dafty?

Except thats the fault of the car going into rear, highway code is clear that a safe breaking distance is required, if a car goes into the rear of another vehicle it has not ensured this. Same with the car behind a cyclist, even if the cyclist is being reckless in front of you, its up to yourself to proceed with due care and attention. Just because their nutters on the road in all vehicles, it doesn't excuse yourself from driving properly.

Franklin Delano Bluth

Except thats the fault of the car going into rear, highway code is clear that a safe breaking distance is required, if a car goes into the rear of another vehicle it has not ensured this. Same with the car behind a cyclist, even if the cyclist is being reckless in front of you, its up to yourself to proceed with due care and attention. Just because their nutters on the road in all vehicles, it doesn't excuse yourself from driving properly.

FInally someone said that there are nutters who use every type of vehicle on the road.

Look, the ones defending the cyclists are not going to ever admit that a cyclist can ever be at fault for anything. There will always be an excuse which absolves the cyclist of all responsibility, I think that much is clear.

I would say the vast majority of the time, those in cars/vans/trucks/etc are at fault. However, I also believe that sometimes cyclists behave irresponsibly when using the road.

In this case, we don't really know whose at fault because the full details haven't came out.

If you clip a cyclist you at least stop to see if they are ok. You don't ******* tweet about it.

Franklin Delano Bluth

If you clip a cyclist you at least stop to see if they are ok. You don't ******* tweet about it.

Yep. Obviously.

Sent from my HTC One X using Tapatalk 2

Except I didn't imply any of those scenarios, did I? It was your redtop turn of phrase that irked me.

A car being driven with due care and attention would not need to come to a standstill or ram another from behind. There would be no need for brakes being slammed on or cars driving into each others' way IF people concentrated on actually driving.

None of what I have said absolves the cyclist in this incident (changing lanes aggresively...really? :lol: ) but the car drivers certainly don't emerge with much credit.

So :cornette: right back atcha.

The People's Chimp

:rofl:

NOM NOM NOM

Right. So haud on. Let's just get this straight, and let's just concentrate on this case. Because you can find any situation to suit an argument. People who are reckless and ignorant on the road are dangerous. Whether they drive a car, or a bike, or a scooter.

Cyclists can be at fault just as much as drivers. When they make a mistake no one dies though.

Now, on this actual case (you know, the one that has **** all to do with your unfortunate case, or mine). One of the people is lying in this case. Is it the cyclist who wasn't going to report it, and has now changed his mind due to Twitter's reaction? Or is it the woman driver? Who drove off because she didn't think the cyclist was injured, she saw him standing upright, she claims. If the cyclist was really injured and concerned by it, surely he would have reported it? But he didn't. She could be pulling a fast one and lying. But then again, so could he. I don't now who is telling the truth, wasn't there.

:wow:

What is this stream of unintelligible gibberish? Is this a "real life" example or made up to try to justify your ill thought out point? If it's real life then you should learn to drive with more care and attention, and remember stopping distances. Driving in the manner you've given above would mean you'd fail your driving test.

Franklin Delano Bluth

:lol:

Only in the cycling community could someone actively trying to avoid a cyclist be viewed as trying to kill them.

#youllnevercyclealone

Sent from my HTC One X using Tapatalk 2

Archived