What are you Listening to Right Now?

cosanostra

2 minutes ago, frankblack said:

Saw them last year finally on their Soul Asylum anniversary show in Glasgow.  Brilliant gig.

They're one of my favourite bands of all time, I saw them in first 85 on the Love tour, saw them loads since then, the two nights at Livingston Forum with the Claytown Troupe as support was a highlight for me.

3 minutes ago, Dawnrazor said:

They're one of my favourite bands of all time, I saw them in first 85 on the Love tour, saw them loads since then, the two nights at Livingston Forum with the Claytown Troupe as support was a highlight for me.

I can't understand why I never went out and saw them.  Bought most of their records on CD first time around.

A lot of friends saw them on the Love tour, but lost interest in them with Electric as they felt they changed their sound.  I don't think there was much of a change.

I did see Ian Astbury join Robert Plant at the Playhouse for Break on Through - I think it might have been his Now and Zen tour.

https://www.setlist.fm/setlist/robert-plant/1988/edinburgh-playhouse-edinburgh-scotland-2bd0b45a.html

Edited by frankblack

Just now, frankblack said:

I can't understand why I never went out and saw them.  Bought most of their records on CD first time around.

A lot of friends saw them on the Love tour, but lost interest in them with Electric as they felt they changed their sound.  I don't think there was much of a change.

I did see Ian Astbury join Robert Plant at the Playhouse for Break on Through - I think it might have been his Now and Zen tour.

There really was a change of sound!! Bully Duffy was srtipped of his pedals and the sound went from jangly psychedelic goth to straight out Rock, I loved!! I have the "Electric" demos before they went with Rick Ruben and the stripped down rock sound, it's the  "Love" soind with the Electric track list.

2 minutes ago, Dawnrazor said:

There really was a change of sound!! Bully Duffy was srtipped of his pedals and the sound went from jangly psychedelic goth to straight out Rock, I loved!! I have the "Electric" demos before they went with Rick Ruben and the stripped down rock sound, it's the  "Love" soind with the Electric track list.

You mean the version with the Electric Peace 2-CD set they put out a couple of years ago?

https://www.discogs.com/The-Cult-Electric-Peace/master/579316

1 minute ago, frankblack said:

Another 80s band I liked - just got a CD box set from Cherry Red with bonus tracks:

Cherry Red arw a gread label, they've done loads of 80's Gothic/Punk bands albums, Red Lorry Yellow Lorry, UK Decay and the like.

Just now, Dawnrazor said:

Cherry Red arw a gread label, they've done loads of 80's Gothic/Punk bands albums, Red Lorry Yellow Lorry, UK Decay and the like.

I know - I have ordered a few things from them such as Ratt and others.

Recently pre-ordered a new Stooges live box set, and a Big Country box set.

5 minutes ago, frankblack said:

You mean the version with the Electric Peace 2-CD set they put out a couple of years ago?

No, the one I have were stol..........liberated from the studio before they went to the States to re-record the album, it was fully recorded, engineered and produced ready for release when a fall out occured and they went for Rick Ruben.

*edit*

On closer reading, it may be them right enough.

Edited by Dawnrazor

Just now, Dawnrazor said:

No, the one I have were stol..........liberated from the studio before they went to the States to re-record the album, it was fully recorded, engineered and produced ready for release when a fall out occured and they went for Rick Ruben.

Copied from the discogs link I posted:

With the tour announcement of The Cult performing the album Electric during 2013, Beggars Banquet made a marketing move that benefited them to release the previously unreleased album Peace with Electric, called "Electric Peace"

Peace - Produced By Steve Brown - previously released on disc 3 of the Rare Cult box set: https://www.discogs.com/The-Cult-Rare-Cult/master/196437

1986: Ian and Billy were not 100% completely happy with the recordings of Peace.
Rick Rubin offered to remix the song Peace Dog. Ian and Billy were so thrilled with the results that they notified Beggars Banquet that were moving forward to re-record the entire album with Rick Rubin.

2013: The release of "Electric Peace" marks the first time that all of the Steve Brown produced tracks have officially come together on one release. Some of these tracks were previously released as "B sides" or on box sets, but never all together.

Vinyl Versions
The US and UK (Europe) releases have differences. The texture of the poster & gatefold(UK is thinner/US is thicker) is different along with how the entire gatefold is presented. US is completely sealed with a round sticker stating it is a Special Edition. UK version is not sealed but comes inside a ploy envelope (fold-able sleeve) with no sticker.

38 minutes ago, Jingle Bells said:

Ricky "effing" Warwick

I was at The Almighty from the very start, knew Ricky Warwick when he was in New Model Army and was at the first 20 or so Almighty gigs, I loved Blood, Fire and Love, wasn't overly keen on Soul Destruction but got back on board with Power Tripping, saw them support The Ramones and Motorhead, one of the consistently best live bands I saw.

1 hour ago, Dawnrazor said:

I was at The Almighty from the very start, knew Ricky Warwick when he was in New Model Army and was at the first 20 or so Almighty gigs, I loved Blood, Fire and Love, wasn't overly keen on Soul Destruction but got back on board with Power Tripping, saw them support The Ramones and Motorhead, one of the consistently best live bands I saw.

The line up for Donington 92  was class. 

I was actually at this show in the front row after a few hours of queueing. Polish music crowds are just amazing.

Edited by SwindonJambo

16 hours ago, SwindonJambo said:

I was actually at this show in the front row after a few hours of queueing. Polish music crowds are just amazing.

Was listening to "Ram" the other day - in fact, have listened to it a couple of times in the last week. A pretty good album actually (1971, so very early).

Spawned a US Number 1 single but not that many songs I knew previously to listening to it.  

15 minutes ago, AndrewB said:

Was listening to "Ram" the other day - in fact, have listened to it a couple of times in the last week. A pretty good album actually (1971, so very early).

Spawned a US Number 1 single but not that many songs I knew previously to listening to it.  

Said single being Uncle Albert/Admiral Halsey. Macca's 1st couple of post Beatles albums were panned at the time by the critics yet are much more kindly viewed by history. It wasn't until 1973's Band on the Run (the one with he, Linda and several famous faces all wearing prison suits on the cover) that his credibility was restored in the eyes and ears of the critics. Just shows what they know. 

Edited by SwindonJambo

20 hours ago, SwindonJambo said:

Said single being Uncle Albert/Admiral Halsey. Macca's 1st couple of post Beatles albums were panned at the time by the critics yet are much more kindly viewed by history. It wasn't until 1973's Band on the Run (the one with he, Linda and several famous faces all wearing prison suits on the cover) that his credibility was restored in the eyes and ears of the critics. Just shows what they know. 

I don't have a lot of time for music critics - too many were in a power contest to try and make bands uncool if they felt they were too big, regardless of the music.  I remember back at the time Appetite for Destruction was released the critics slated it and said it wasn't as good as their Live Like a Suicide EP (which was re-issued later as one side of the Lies album).