What are you Listening to Right Now?

cosanostra

Jingle Bells
13 minutes ago, Dagger Is Back said:

Glam. Good times

Sure was Mr B. along with the powercuts.

Dagger Is Back
9 minutes ago, Jingle Bells said:

Sure was Mr B. along with the powercuts.

Ha ha

Love the music from the Seventies. My favourite era by far

Jingle Bells
15 minutes ago, Dagger Is Back said:

Ha ha

Love the music from the Seventies. My favourite era by far

Have to agree Mr B, 70's all round was the dog's dangles.

Georgecowie

Going to listen to Hallowed be thy name by Iron Maiden before bed as it suits the impending doom that the morning promises us. Also because it rocks. 

JamboAndrew

During the lockdown I've been looking for new music and havnt found much. Seem to be stuck in the 80s and 90s where people made albums and real music, not the advertising jingles I seem to hear nowadays where the catchy (annoying) bit has to start within the first 20 seconds.

Also decided to revisit my youth and start recording music again.

Shameless plug, but the new album is going to be added to music videos at:

It's all original stuff. No covers. 

Jingle Bells
22 hours ago, JamboAndrew said:

During the lockdown I've been looking for new music and havnt found much. Seem to be stuck in the 80s and 90s where people made albums and real music, not the advertising jingles I seem to hear nowadays where the catchy (annoying) bit has to start within the first 20 seconds.

Also decided to revisit my youth and start recording music again.

Shameless plug, but the new album is going to be added to music videos at:

It's all original stuff. No covers. 

Good stuff,

FWIW, you might be better heading in the other direction back to the 1960s/70s, an era when Bands were given the time and money to develop and record,  by the Record Companies.

Trick with the older Rock, stuff, if that's your thing, is to bung the bass up and turn the sound volume up to 11, whilst listening.

Today's up and coming  musos have to work a lot harder to make a crust ,All imho.

Edited by Jingle Bells
error

JamboAndrew
12 hours ago, Jingle Bells said:

Good stuff,

FWIW, you might be better heading in the other direction back to the 1960s/70s, an era when Bands were given the time and money to develop and record,  by the Record Companies.

Trick with the older Rock, stuff, if that's your thing, is to bung the bass up and turn the sound volume up to 11, whilst listening.

Today's up and coming  musos have to work a lot harder to make a crust ,All imho.

Much appreciated. And agree with you. Seems to be going back the way I find better songs.

Nothing says turn the bass up to 11 more than Motorhead.

I think social media means everyone can get 5 mins of fame so they don't work as hard. Bands like Maiden were doing 300 shows a year when they were new on the scene. And that was pub and toilet venues.

frankblack
8 hours ago, JamboAndrew said:

Much appreciated. And agree with you. Seems to be going back the way I find better songs.

I think social media means everyone can get 5 mins of fame so they don't work as hard. Bands like Maiden were doing 300 shows a year when they were new on the scene. And that was pub and toilet venues.

There is still a lot of good stuff out there if you dig through the crap.

Really liking Greg Dulli's solo album.  The new Mark Lanegan album is on order.  Pearl Jam's new album is growing on me.  I've got a signed copy of the deluxe Paradise Lost album Obsidian to rip soon and listen.

In terms of newish bands, I quite like the first Dream Wife album, albums by DIIV, Wolf Alice, and have Hayley Williams' solo album to rip.

I must admit I have been filling a lot of gaps in my collections and getting into bands I was aware of in the late 80s and 90s (King Diamond and Mercyful Fate, Vain, Love/Hate), but don't restrict yourself to just the old stuff as you will miss out.

JamboAndrew
12 minutes ago, frankblack said:

There is still a lot of good stuff out there if you dig through the crap.

Really liking Greg Dulli's solo album.  The new Mark Lanegan album is on order.  Pearl Jam's new album is growing on me.  I've got a signed copy of the deluxe Paradise Lost album Obsidian to rip soon and listen.

In terms of newish bands, I quite like the first Dream Wife album, albums by DIIV, Wolf Alice, and have Hayley Williams' solo album to rip.

I must admit I have been filling a lot of gaps in my collections and getting into bands I was aware of in the late 80s and 90s (King Diamond and Mercyful Fate, Vain, Love/Hate), but don't restrict yourself to just the old stuff as you will miss out.

Good points. I'll give DIIV and Hayley Williams a spin.

Saw Wolf Alice live. They only seemed to have two songs and played these on repeat for the whole show. Should probably listen to a whole album though.

I'm discounting folk like Pearl Jam and Mark Lanegan as they are from the 90s and still doing 90s music.

frankblack
40 minutes ago, JamboAndrew said:

Good points. I'll give DIIV and Hayley Williams a spin.

Saw Wolf Alice live. They only seemed to have two songs and played these on repeat for the whole show. Should probably listen to a whole album though.

I'm discounting folk like Pearl Jam and Mark Lanegan as they are from the 90s and still doing 90s music.

The Screaming Trees debut was actually 1986!  Pearl Jam's roots go back to the 80s too with Green River and Mother Love Bone.

Wolf Alice have two albums and a few EPs.  I saw them support Foo Fighters a few years back in London and really enjoyed them.  The guitarist has released an album with profits going to charities.

If you like your Indie Guitar rock, The Big Moon are pretty good with two decent albums.

I need to listen to the new album by Brian Fallon too (Gaslight Anthem singer).

Baldwigforjack

Been listening to Elliott Smith for the first time in a few years also watched the documentary Elliott Smith:Heaven Adores You.

Thoroughly recommended for those who like a music career related documentary.

JamboAndrew
1 hour ago, frankblack said:

The Screaming Trees debut was actually 1986!  Pearl Jam's roots go back to the 80s too with Green River and Mother Love Bone.

Wolf Alice have two albums and a few EPs.  I saw them support Foo Fighters a few years back in London and really enjoyed them.  The guitarist has released an album with profits going to charities.

If you like your Indie Guitar rock, The Big Moon are pretty good with two decent albums.

I need to listen to the new album by Brian Fallon too (Gaslight Anthem singer).

Brilliant, thanks.

Jesus time flies. Screaming trees had some great songs but I always thought of them as a 90s band.

I'll add them to the playlist for today.

Jingle Bells
On 19/05/2020 at 23:57, JamboAndrew said:

Pleasure,
It's a good thread for learning about new Bands and older Bands that you might have missed or forgotten about.
The thing about Blues Orientated Rock(Deep Purple etc))was they had a Jazz upbringing, which helped with improvisation when playing live..
I saw Iron Maiden live at the Ruskin Arms, East Ham,I think,, in the 1980s when they used aliases to warm up for Tours.
A lot of  music is recycled (rifts etc) and then done in a different way so it adds an interest to discover whose pinched from whom, when going back the way.
Edited by Jingle Bells
error

JamboAndrew
Just now, Jingle Bells said:
Pleasure,
It's a good thread for learning about new Bands and older Bands that you might have missed or forgotten about.
The thing about Blues Orientated Rock(Deep Purple etc))was they had a Jazz upbringing, which helped with improvisation when playing live..
I saw Iron Maiden live at the Ruskin Arms, East Ham,I think,, in the 1980s when they used aliases to warm up for Tours.
A lot  music is recycled (rifts etc) and then done in a different way so it adds an interest to discover whose pinched from whom, when going back the way.

Very true on the recycled bit. But I see folk knicking a small maiden riff and it being their whole song. Deep Purple or Maiden songs tend to have the same amount of tunes on one song as the entirety any of the new rock albums I've heard recently.

The greats of the 80s and 90s had huge and obvious blues and jazz influences. My favourite drummer Jimmy Chamberlain is a jazz drummer originally.

The main influence I'm feeling if I ever hear the radio is advertising jingles. 

Jesus I sound like a boring middle aged guy reflecting on the good old days. But show me the modern Maiden, Zeppelin, Purple etc...

The closest I see to complex but accessible songwriting is Biffy Clyro. Who were great when I saw them in the early days.