The cost of days out with kids

Radioactive Mince

Radioactive Mince

I've been looking into the costs of various activities to help keep my kids occupied and educated during the summer holidays.

What I've found has surprised me a little, as I always find myself comparing with the cost of Tynecastle season tickets (which are competitively priced in their own market).

Widely accepted expensive days out needn't be, if you plan in advance. I'll show you. All costs based on 2 adults plus 2 children 3yrs and above, for a year's membership.

RZSS Membership (Edinburgh Zoo & Highland Wildlife Park): ?165 incl. car park pass.

Deep Sea World: ?125.50 incl. online booking fee.

Blair Drummond (open late March-October IIRC): ?155.90.

Total so far: ?446.40.

Merlin Premium Pass (unrestricted access to all Merlin attractions UK-wide): ?527.04

Less than a grand for all that.

Potentially dearer for a family of four (say the kids are over 12, or even one of them is) to visit the hallowed EH11 turf for 28.5 hours of normal league matchplay.

Makes you think. Football is so much more than a "family day out" mind you. It's probably my equivalent to church.

Dunno how it is in ol Edina, but glasgow museums have a free children's event at one of their venues on every single day of the school holidays barring xmas, boxing day, etc.

Stilll, i'd rather be at tynie.

Radioactive Mince

Dunno how it is in ol Edina, but glasgow museums have a free children's event at one of their venues on every single day of the school holidays barring xmas, boxing day, etc.

Stilll, i'd rather be at tynie.

Thanks for reminding me about Glasgow and that is something to be done, cheers. I often forget that I'm not much further from there than Dunedin when planning museum trips.

But yeah, the free-ness of cultural pastimes gets the :thumbsup: from me.

ps - I agree

itsnomarooned

Depends on how old your children are I suppose but I'd hardly call going to the football as an inclusive family activity. In that case it's a bit like comparing apples with oranges.

Radioactive Mince

Depends on how old your children are I suppose but I'd hardly call going to the football as an inclusive family activity. In that case it's a bit like comparing apples with oranges.

It depends on your values and your children. Mine don't really have the appetite or endurance yet. I'll indoctrinate them, though, don't you worry.

Gone are the days men would leave their bairns outside the pubs.

ps - It isn't a simple or effective comparison, which I admitted. Purely on a cost basis, though, I'm surprised I can go to the zoo, highland park, deep sea and blair drummond any time i fecking want for way less than a monkey.

Kalamazoo Jambo

You forget the emotional cost. I'll let you know how today's day trip to Indiana goes :laugh:

itsnomarooned

It depends on your values and your children. Mine don't really have the appetite or endurance yet. I'll indoctrinate them, though, don't you worry.

Gone are the days men would leave their bairns outside the pubs.

ps - It isn't a simple or effective comparison, which I admitted. Purely on a cost basis, though, I'm surprised I can go to the zoo, highland park, deep sea and blair drummond any time i fecking want for way less than a monkey.

I think we're agreeing - perhaps not clear in my reply. Nothing wrong with taking kids to the game of course (my lass is 9 months so a bit early yet) but you still see folk getting scooped up in the pub with a young lad/lass bored out their minds, pretty poor in my opinion.

The zoo deal looks spectacular, I'll be we'll up for that in the near future.

Radioactive Mince

I think we're agreeing - perhaps not clear in my reply. Nothing wrong with taking kids to the game of course (my lass is 9 months so a bit early yet) but you still see folk getting scooped up in the pub with a young lad/lass bored out their minds, pretty poor in my opinion.

Yeah, we are.

That's all this thread was: A heads-up. The football chat was jst me thinking out loud.

Franklin Delano Bluth

I could only got to the zoo about once, maybe twice a year. Our family had memberships to the zoo, we went once, I think. Total waste of money. It's a really good deal if you like the zoo, though. :thumbsup:

Edit: That Merlin deal by the way :arry: Unbelievable. Think about the travel costs though, I suppose.

Radioactive Mince

I could only got to the zoo about once, maybe twice a year. Our family had memberships to the zoo, we went once, I think. Total waste of money. It's a really good deal if you like the zoo, though. :thumbsup:

Edit: That Merlin deal by the way :arry: Unbelievable. Think about the travel costs though, I suppose.

Travel costs are feck all in an old banger running on cooking oil in summer mate :)

Know what you mean, though. You always need to weigh up everything on a personal level. 4 trips to the zoo and you're 'saving'. I think 3 trips to DSW. 4 trips to safari park.

I'm nightshift a lot of the time and don't generally work dayshift weekend overtime so there's nothing to stop me going on an ad-hoc basis with a packed lunch if I'm feeling skint.

My geographical location means the zoo and safari are nearly equidistant, and deep sea world's just along the road. Even for the highlands I'm in quite an advantageous spot. So, yeah, I'll use them and am delighted.

Franklin Delano Bluth

Travel costs are feck all in an old banger running on cooking oil in summer mate :)

Know what you mean, though. You always need to weigh up everything on a personal level. 4 trips to the zoo and you're 'saving'. I think 3 trips to DSW. 4 trips to safari park.

I'm nightshift a lot of the time and don't generally work dayshift weekend overtime so there's nothing to stop me going on an ad-hoc basis with a packed lunch if I'm feeling skint.

My geographical location means the zoo and safari are nearly equidistant, and deep sea world's just along the road. Even for the highlands I'm in quite an advantageous spot. So, yeah, I'll use them and am delighted.

That's brilliant :)

Always good to get out the house and do something. A wee day out to the zoo to just go for a wander and see some animals on your own actually sounds really good.

Carl Fredrickson

We have had a membership for the zoo and it was well worth it. The Highland Wildlife Park is also worth a visit.

Currently we only have membership for Historic Scotland which is well worth it too. Through my work we get discounted tickets for the safari park and East Barns Farm at Dunbar.

I won a years membership to the National Museums of Scotland but TBH we felt it was only worth it for the Museum of Flight and the Museum of Rural Life at East Kilbride.

Annual memberships are generally always worth it IF you use them. I know folk that have bought them but only went once or twice.

Radioactive Mince

I haven't got the merlin pass I was on about. It'd have to wait anyway. I need to do a proper cost analysis there given the only cheapo destinations are loch lomond and oban sea life centres. With a lego obsessed 5 year old, though, it might work out worthwhile. He's been nagging me about legoland for ages.

Edit: And I'll probably be in London at some point in next 12 months so plenty stuff to get there. Check me out trying to convince myself. I'd mug an old lady for a season pass for legoland.

skinnybob72

Best value is a Historic Scotland annual membership for a family - it's under ?7 a month by DD, although if your kids don't like castle it's not much use!

We're going to be in London for a day whilst on holiday down south later in the year and the price of family tickets is outrageous - Madame Tussauds is about ?80 as is the Tower of London and the London Aquarium.

Best value is a Historic Scotland annual membership for a family - it's under ?7 a month by DD, although if your kids don't like castle it's not much use!

We're going to be in London for a day whilst on holiday down south later in the year and the price of family tickets is outrageous - Madame Tussauds is about ?80 as is the Tower of London and the London Aquarium.

Science museum, Victoria and Albert museum and the Natural history museum are all within two minutes walk of eachother. All are better than the things you mentioned. All are free. There's loads of free stuff (museums especially) to do in london.

Radioactive Mince

Superb suggestion, thanks. My eldest might be the only one interested at present, but certainly a great thing for slightly older kids.

Totally agree, I had Little Miss Floyd (4) and my nephew (6) at the game today and that kept me away from the boozer.

Couldn't be bothered with them being there bored out their skulls so I can have a few pre match pints.

Would be a different story if they were older and would play pool or were happy to come with me, but today was all about them enjoying the game and the day out that went with it.

I just hope I've convinced my nephew to follow Hearts and not either of the evil twins.

Radioactive Mince

Gee, wonder what happened to that Kalamazoo guy?

Last i heard he was on a family day out to Indiana.

Has anyone heard from him at all?

skinnybob72

Science museum, Victoria and Albert museum and the Natural history museum are all within two minutes walk of eachother. All are better than the things you mentioned. All are free. There's loads of free stuff (museums especially) to do in london.

Museums are a good shout, we took them to the Science Museum and the Natural History Museum last year when we were in London - they really liked the dinosaur displays. We may visit the V&A this time around. Found out that my cereal box has a 2 for 1 offer for Madame Tussauds on it so we get a good deal after all!

Kalamazoo Jambo

Gee, wonder what happened to that Kalamazoo guy?

Last i heard he was on a family day out to Indiana.

Has anyone heard from him at all?

Made it back alive - just. Multiple meltdowns from Kalamazoo Jambo Jr. Delved into the heart of Amish Country - and you KNOW how dangerous that can be. Them and their horse-drawn buggies. Pretty cheap too with the biggest bargain of course being the family style dining at Das Essenhaus in Middlebury. Sundays down there are cheaper still - but only because nothing is open. I sincerely hope this information is of use to you all :D

Mr Romanov Saviour of HMFC

I don't have kids but I take my niece to the museum in Edinburgh now and again, it is brilliant. Spend about 4 hours just fannying about, interesting stuff for young and old.

Or do what my Dad did and leave them outside the pub while you get bevvied.

Radioactive Mince

Made it back alive - just. Multiple meltdowns from Kalamazoo Jambo Jr. Delved into the heart of Amish Country - and you KNOW how dangerous that can be. Them and their horse-drawn buggies. Pretty cheap too with the biggest bargain of course being the family style dining at Das Essenhaus in Middlebury. Sundays down there are cheaper still - but only because nothing is open. I sincerely hope this information is of use to you all :D

I'm relieved to hear that

The Amish people are incredible. Spending their teens and early adulthood working offshore etc, driving fast, expensive cars and then giving it all up to go back to the 'dark ages' sans material shite.

Certainly wasn't an inclusive family day out for the guy and his 2 kids sat behind me yesterday, kids both to young to either care or understand what was going on while the dad paid zero attention to them for 90 mins!

Lochend Brazil

I've been looking into the costs of various activities to help keep my kids occupied and educated during the summer holidays.

What I've found has surprised me a little, as I always find myself comparing with the cost of Tynecastle season tickets (which are competitively priced in their own market).

Widely accepted expensive days out needn't be, if you plan in advance. I'll show you. All costs based on 2 adults plus 2 children 3yrs and above, for a year's membership.

RZSS Membership (Edinburgh Zoo & Highland Wildlife Park): ?165 incl. car park pass.

Deep Sea World: ?125.50 incl. online booking fee.

Blair Drummond (open late March-October IIRC): ?155.90.

Total so far: ?446.40.

Merlin Premium Pass (unrestricted access to all Merlin attractions UK-wide): ?527.04

Less than a grand for all that.

Potentially dearer for a family of four (say the kids are over 12, or even one of them is) to visit the hallowed EH11 turf for 28.5 hours of normal league matchplay.

Makes you think. Football is so much more than a "family day out" mind you. It's probably my equivalent to church.

Yearly pass at sea world cost ?60 for an adult and child. Well worth it also. Kids am at VUE cinema weekends and holidays is ?2 per ticket. Not a bad alternative.

Beecraigs country park near Linlithgow is one of the best days out in the Lothians; completely free, farmed deer and trout for the kids to see and feed respectively, a reservoir, one of the best play parks around here, zip slides, forest trails. There's also a campsite and restaurant up there too. Go.

Chris Benoit

Beecraigs country park near Linlithgow is one of the best days out in the Lothians; completely free, farmed deer and trout for the kids to see and feed respectively, a reservoir, one of the best play parks around here, zip slides, forest trails. There's also a campsite and restaurant up there too. Go.

How would it be for a bairn around 20 months? Trying to sort out places to take the wee yin this summer and it sounds good.

babywhalo

We went up there when ny son turned 2. He loved it. 20 months will be fine. Hood place in the summer

Franklin Delano Bluth

Mind going to Vogrie Country Park and seeing the current Hearts manager driving the miniature train about the place :rofl:

Lt.Speirs

Historic Scotland is only ?7.04 a month for two adults and two kids. Gets you into Edinburgh and Stirling Castle, Linlithgow palace and a ton of other places great value.

Rudolf's Mate

Taking the kids to Legoland Windsor tomorrow. It was the wee mans 5th Birthday on Friday and he's Star Wars mad. They're holding some special Star Wars event over the bank holiday. Staying tin the hotel on site but its no been a cheap trip that's for sure.

Sure I'll love it as much as them though :smile:

Taking the kids to Legoland Windsor tomorrow. It was the wee mans 5th Birthday on Friday and he's Star Wars mad. They're holding some special Star Wars event over the bank holiday. Staying tin the hotel on site but its no been a cheap trip that's for sure.

Sure I'll love it as much as them though :smile:

Here's a couple of pics from the event.

wY70LVm.jpg

:whistling:

Took Little Miss Floyd to Hamilton Races today for the family day down there.

She had a ball, face painting, bouncy castles, hook a duck, fairground rides and the wee toad managed to pick 3 winners in 6 races. :lol:

Did better than me on the betting front as well. :(

Archived