Tattoos

tommythejambo

tommythejambo

Meant to be getting my first tattoo tomorrow after a (drunken) agreement with my mate/business partner.

Are they sore?

Will I regret it?

Not sore, the itching when its healing is a pain in the farter.

Got two, don't regret either, make sure you really want one :lol:

Sore?....depends on your tolerance for pain and where you get it done,regret it?....if your already thinking it then yes you probably will.

tommythejambo

I want to get it done, it's something with a big sentimental value to me. It's just the thought of having it forever.

PsychocAndy

I've got 7 and I wanted them all. Don't get one if your "not sure".

Doctor FinnBarr

Careful with names.....unless its the mighty JTs!!

:pleasing:

Yep, I have 3, 2 of which make reference to Hearts. The other is the club crest.

Not sore at all

Yep, I have 3, 2 of which make reference to Hearts. The other is the club crest.

Not sore at all

So all 3 make reference to Hearts then?

I want to get it done, it's something with a big sentimental value to me. It's just the thought of having it forever.

If you're not 100% sure - don't get it done, as it is forever. Wait until you are absolutely positive what you want, and where, then you will have no regrets.

Getting another 2 done and dates added to my Hearts one in a weeks time from my mates wife who just opened up a shop in Linlithgow. She has done a great job designing the first one I'm getting and is working on the second one a sheild with 2 swords sticking out of it on rocks ( Spartacus's grave ). I'm nervously excited about going back as its been a while.

If you're not 100% sure - don't get it done, as it is forever. Wait until you are absolutely positive what you want, and where, then you will have no regrets.

Couldn't have put it better myself.

My old man has about 14 or 15 at last count and when I was younger I kept saying that I was getting one as soon as I turned 18, but he told me to think about what I wanted, where I wanted it and to make sure it meant something to me before going in.

I did as I was told and ended up being 30 before I got mine done. :lol: didn't regret waiting as my tattoo means something to me and I made the right choice in waiting.

If you are sure on what you want, where you want it and that you won't regret it, my advice is go for it. If you answer no to any if the above, don't do it as it's permanent after all.

Good luck :thumbsup:

Not sore

:cornette:

Stings like a bitch mate, and iv been a careless, accident prone oaf all my life so iv built up a decent tolerance to pain. It's bearable though, iv sat through a few long sessions on the inside of my arm and it nips like **** up near the armpit. Outside of the arm isn't too bad though.

First 5 mins are usually the worst then the adrenaline and endorphins start doing their job and you settle into it. Enjoyable, in a perverse way.

I would echo the sentiment that if you're getting it as a bet then you should maybe hold off and get something you're certain you want. I booked an appointment for a thistle with the flower coloured in with the saltire when I was 17. The guy didn't show up to open the shop and when the owner turned up an hour later he didn't have time. Even a couple days later I was so glad I didn't get it done. I ended up waiting till I was 28 and I've had a fair bit of work done since.

Well worth the wait.

The Great Khali

I've got words in Spanish. Two lines, from one shoulder to the next and I'm not going to lie, it was the sorest three hours of my life.

Sentimental reason though and I love it so it was worth it.

On saying that though when the tattooist asked me what it was and he realised it was a tribute of some sort he started planning backgrounds and add ons. I told him to bolt. Not going through that again on my chebs again :lol:

Ron Burgundy

Chest and collar-bone were painful as feck,arms and back not so much but to say they weren't painful is just not true.

Not sore

Stings like a bitch mate, and iv been a careless, accident prone oaf all my life so iv built up a decent tolerance to pain. It's bearable though, iv sat through a few long sessions on the inside of my arm and it nips like **** up near the armpit. Outside of the arm isn't too bad though.

First 5 mins are usually the worst then the adrenaline and endorphins start doing their job and you settle into it. Enjoyable, in a perverse way.

I would echo the sentiment that if you're getting it as a bet then you should maybe hold off and get something you're certain you want. I booked an appointment for a thistle with the flower coloured in with the saltire when I was 17. The guy didn't show up to open the shop and when the owner turned up an hour later he didn't have time. Even a couple days later I was so glad I didn't get it done. I ended up waiting till I was 28 and I've had a fair bit of work done since.

Well worth the wait.

My two are on the outside of my arms so (not so bad?)...as I said not sore

Agree with the rest.

I'm wanting to get a 5-1 tattoo done, but can't decide on a design. Eleven months after the game, I've still not got a clear design in mind, so I'll just keep waiting till I am 100% sure.

Mr Romanov Saviour of HMFC

I'm wanting a small quote but I have nae idea where to put it. Any suggestions?

Is it wanky to get a quote?

I'd suggest that with a quotation, for the text to be large enough to be read by someone else, the tattoo may need to be quite large, so that may limit where you can put it.

Saying that though, tattoos are a very personal thing, so if that's what you want, then you go for it. That you're having doubts perhaps suggests that maybe it's not for you, or maybe you need to rethink your design..?

If it means something to you then not at all

Not sure about location, inside of forearm seems the most common and it means you'll see it often

If it means something to you I'm not sure for example what you get by putting it on your back unless its for a woman in your life and you have a mirror on your ceiling

Angry Haggis

No, not at all getting a quote done is fine. Here is a suggestion for you:

"Is it wanky to get a quote?"

How big is the quote?

Btw the inside of the upper arm is absolute agony.as is the back.

How big is the quote?

Btw the inside of the upper arm is absolute agony.as is the back.

I didn't find it that bad, the next day however it was tender a feck and I regretted clapping at the football as soon as I did it

Cheers chaps. It's only a few words, I'm not bothered by who sees it as it's just something of a reminder to me, so no need for it to be massive. The inside of the forearm is a big no no for me, don't like how it looks there on the ones I've seen.

Just can't decide where to put it!

I didn't find it that bad, the next day however it was tender a feck and I regretted clapping at the football as soon as I did it

The aftermath is a bit like intense sunburn eh?

Again will echo the comments that say the pain level depends on the area of the body.

Outer arm, calf* and shin were all a breeze!

Inner arm, elbow ditch, collar bone and chest were all horrible!

*apart fro a wee bit on the Achilles!

Cheers chaps. It's only a few words, I'm not bothered by who sees it as it's just something of a reminder to me, so no need for it to be massive. The inside of the forearm is a big no no for me, don't like how it looks there on the ones I've seen.

Just can't decide where to put it!

Chest? Inside of upper arm?

Depends on quote if its personal fine but some generic quote like 'only god can judge me' I say wanky.

What you thinking, if you don't mind me asking?

:lol: Those were the exact words with angels wings across my back actually. :curtain:

Just a Nelson Mandela quote that really seems to sum up my attitude towards life. Was reading his book and it just jumped out at me and stuck in my head.

Anyway, no wanting to derail the OP's thread!

The aftermath is a bit like intense sunburn eh?

It's actually classed the same as a 3rd degree burn!

It's actually classed the same as a 3rd degree burn!

Makes sense.

Anyone who says they're not sore are liars. Bearable pain though.

As others have said - make sure YOU want it.

And stock up on the moisturiser for the after-care. A mate of mine was recommended (I kid you not) Preparation H...pile cream.

Makes sense.

Way i've heard it described the best is that it's like running a scorching hot bath that you can only just bear to stay in!

TheMaganator

I know two people with tattoos. Both regret them.

If you're going to go for it then my suggestion, for what it's worth, would be to pick something you like and wait 6 months or a year. If you still want to get one after that then do it.

It's not a decision to be taken lightly.

As others have said - make sure YOU want it.

And stock up on the moisturiser for the after-care. A mate of mine was recommended (I kid you not) Preparation H...pile cream.

Do not use Preperation H, it will draw the ink out!!!!!!

Most common is Bepanthen, it's a nappy rash cream that creates a barrier to stop infection but lets the skin breathe at the same time!

I'll bow to Ribble's superior knowledge. Think I used Vaseline intensive care or some such.

Should have said there is also the option of the Forever Ink aftercare products that you can get in boots. I was given some free samples after being tattooed at the tattoo convention and have to say i was quite impressed with the healing balm although I would say it is more of a lotion than a balm. It does a decent job of both soothing the skin while you heal and moisturising it afterwards!

Makes sense.

Not everyones the same so your liar quote can go right back up yer arse.

Tattooist told me I had great skin for tattooing, ink soaked in, more uncomfortable than anything..although it did smart shoulder area, hitting the bone.

A couple of 'ooya ****er's at that point, but it was totally worth it.

Do not use Preperation H, it will draw the ink out!!!!!!

Most common is Bepanthen, it's a nappy rash cream that creates a barrier to stop infection but lets the skin breathe at the same time!

I used Bepanthen, its fantastic...if you heat it up too it can be more spreadable, recommend that one. Just a couple of times a day, maybe three.

Let it breath a lot too...heals quicker.

Not everyones the same so your liar quote can go right back up yer arse.

Tattooist told me I had great skin for tattooing, ink soaked in, more uncomfortable than anything..although it did smart shoulder area, hitting the bone.

A couple of 'ooya ****er's at that point, but it was totally worth it.

The only tattoo I've got that didn't really hurt was on the inside of my lower arm.

The rest were painful. The inside of my upper arm was the worst.

They are sore. Don't kid yourself.

The only tattoo I've got that didn't really hurt was on the inside of my lower arm.

The rest were painful. The inside of my upper arm was the worst.

They are sore. Don't kid yourself.

Not everyone is the same! Some find the pain unbearable others barely notice they are being tattooed! I've had 2 on my shin and it might have been years of getting kicked up and down football pitches when I was younger but I really didn't feel a thing when getting either of the tattoos!

Meant to be getting my first tattoo tomorrow after a (drunken) agreement with my mate/business partner.

Are they sore?

Will I regret it?

I'm awful with needle-type pain and it had always put me off getting a tattoo. Finally got my first one done about a month ago and it was absolutely fine. Got it on the inside of my bicep and at worst it felt like a little scratch (and not the lie "you'll feel a scratch" when you get an injection! - just a regular little scratch). From reading through this thread though it seems everyone's pain tolerance is different and even a high pain threshold for other types of pain may not necessarily mean you'll be ok with a tattoo, and in my case the exact opposite.

Was barely bothered by any itching as it healed either but I can imagine the bigger the tattoo the more that would be an issue.

Not everyone is the same! Some find the pain unbearable others barely notice they are being tattooed! I've had 2 on my shin and it might have been years of getting kicked up and down football pitches when I was younger but I really didn't feel a thing when getting either of the tattoos!

:spoton:

If you met the ex wife you'd understand pain :lol:

:spoton:

If you met the ex wife you'd understand pain :lol:

Would agree entirely!!!! :lol:

Especially the ex wife part. :thumbsup:

scott_jambo

Cheers chaps. It's only a few words, I'm not bothered by who sees it as it's just something of a reminder to me, so no need for it to be massive.

A post-it note would be cheaper.

Archived