Your First Pint

Cairneyhill Jambo

Pint of norseman lager in the goodies when i was 14 about 1975 disgusting stuff served in a big jam jar.

I don't know if it was the first but certainly our local at 15/16 and then back to my mates with a 'carryoot' of yes, Norseman Lager, brutal stuff, and all night games of cards, but when you are that age you would drink it oot a 'shitey cloot'.

• Replies 166
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Can't believe there has been no mention of the famous "Four In Hand" in Bonnyrigg yet. A Hearts stronghold in its hey day and I'm proud to say I had my first pint in there aged 17!

Sadly no longer there but the spirit lives on!

probably had first pint in the Tranmare Hotel bar in Tranent when I was 14 in 1975 Pint was 14p.Place was full of guns ,labradors and spaniels along with dead rabbits pheasants along with the associated poachers

Cross Keys and The Tower at dinnertime with some of the teachers at Ross High

Mum had the Highwayman in the bus station and her pal was in the Travellers at the other end.Was a regular in Lothian Rd/Rose St pubs by 15yo

No idea where first legal was .Bit of a jakie by then but most likely the best pub in Tranent The Cross Keys mental place chock full of ^characters^

Slightly off topic but where did you first get caught under age drinking by a parent or the law?

Was playing pool in The Brig Inn when in popped the auld felly.He asked the owner(Jim Learmonth) if he knew I shouldnt be in there.Reply went along the lines would he rather I was drinking unsupervised in the park or down the Heugh(one for Tranent peeps) and wasnt it time the greedy bassa bought his laddie a pint!Pint of light sent through with a wee wave.Seems like yesterday

16p a pint of light by then

Had my first pint in the Coronation Inn ,Gorebridge when I was 14, first legal one in the Huntsman ,Mayfield.

Pretty sure my first pint was at Woodburn miners club when I was 16. Me and my pal turned up to his girlfriends nana's 70th and got ridiculously reeking for a family party.

First legal pint was on my 18th birthday in Lloyds at the Omni just out for a meal with my Mum, Granny and the bursd.

RealMaroonCF

Illegal..would have been Christies, black bull, Laurie tap or the ferryboat. First legal, the boat.

the general

been giving this more thought and it would be either the Corrie Inn or at the Highland Show

we used to skive school and play snooker in the Manse then go for a beer ... we also skipped away from our teachers at Ingliston one year and headed to a beer tent

but we soon got caught but managed a couple of pints

First illegal pint was in the Almond Inn, Blackburn on free periods from school. On a couple of occasions we swapped our St Kentigern's school tie for ones our dads owned and go there for a drink. Unbeleivable to think we got served. Unbeleivable to think that we thought they would think we were businessmen :facepalm:

First legal pint was on my birthday at the Corrie Bar in Armadale.

Fort Vallance

First pint was the House O'Hill at Blackhall, just turned 15. First legal one was Peter Symons (Volunteer Arms) Leith Walk with my dad and his mate. Certainly wouldn't venture that far in to Leith now.

Rudolf's Mate

First pub pint was a dive at the top of Cockburn St. Walked in as a 15 yr old and bought a pint of bitter! Worst thing was I hated the stuff!

First legal pint, I've no recollection due to the fact that by time I was legal I was already a regular in several establishments in Gorgie.

• 9 months later...

First illegal was the Sports Club in Musselburgh which became Oscars and is now closed.

First legal pint was the Ship Inn in Musselburgh.

The Future's Maroon

Moat Bar when I was 16, even better I went on to have my 18th in there which didnt amuse the management.....went on to drink in there until it closed, great boozer!!

davemclaren

I got refused there when I was 19, one of the group that was with us got served and he was 17, think it was called The Spot at that time

It was indeed the Spot. Once got very drunk in there when I was 16.

davemclaren

Can't believe there has been no mention of the famous "Four In Hand" in Bonnyrigg yet. A Hearts stronghold in its hey day and I'm proud to say I had my first pint in there aged 17!

Sadly no longer there but the spirit lives on!

Did a bit of under age drinking there as well.

First pint was the House O'Hill at Blackhall, just turned 15. First legal one was Peter Symons (Volunteer Arms) Leith Walk with my dad and his mate. Certainly wouldn't venture that far in to Leith now.

Peter Simons was the Caledonian Bar over the road from the Vollie. 

Archived