Your First Pint

Cairneyhill Jambo

Suspect Device

4th year at school, '82, got home one Friday, asked my dad for a tenner, he asked "what I needed a tenner for? not going out for a pint are you? haha"

his face when I said "aye" was a picture...good man gave me the cash though :toasting:

went to Sneaky Petes, drank bottles of Newcastle Brown and discovered their juke box had some excellent stuff :drummer:

can't remember first legal, probably the Wine Glass, start of quite a slippery slope !

• Replies 166
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I can remember the first time i drank (it wasn't pretty and i pulled a hippo) but can't remeber the first time i drank a pint in a pub.

What we did do at school though is swap our school ties for other ties (usually our dads') and go for a pint or two at lunchtime now and again. The pub must have cottoned on that the four or five young businessmen were from the local school but they served us anyway!

Me and a school mate went to that wee bar next to the Capital Hotel (don't know what its called now) up Clerry way (maybe Clerry Jambo will know). We went most Friday or Thursday evenings. One evening, after about 6 months of drinking there, the woman behind the bar said "I have been told you are underage and attend The Royal High!" :eek: It was ok though because we were well behaved she continued to serve us :)

I also have a pretty good idea who grassed us (It was a 6'6" nobend who went to our school) so if you are reading I have not forgotten grrrr

loveofthegame

Can't remember specifics of first "Pint" - would have likely been in Robbo's or the old Bar Oz on Forest Road (now some Irish bar but was an old underage haunt for us from about the age of 15...).

First legal bevvy was in Subway, Lothian Road - ABSOLUTE :facepalm:

Both would have been a watered down lager...

Scary to think the former was over 10 years ago and the latter over 8 years ago. I'm officially getting old FFS.

Alan Johnson

Not sure about my first pint proper, was in a few dire places before I was 18 :lol:

First legal was a bit better, The Hermitage in Morningside at lunchtime on my 18th.

Doctor FinnBarr

1st illegal would have been the the Elm Tree in Bellsquarry when I'd be about 16 and the 1st legal was in the Jolly Roger in Blackburn.

:devilish:

First illegal - The Beefeater across from Mortonhall Cemetery

First legal - The Bellmans Bar in Penicuik the night of my 18th b'day, the bar stuff were a bit confused as I'd been drinking for about 2 years in there by that point

Gavsy Van Gaverson

Must have been about 14 or 15 in the BMC for my first illegal one thanks to a few posters on here. Saturday discos were always fun.

:lol:

Certainly more enjoyable than the fitba.

First illegal was in the Royal Archer on the corner of Jeffery Street. First legal was with the old man in the Snuff Box and then walking up to Jenny Ha's. Seems like only yesterday

Illegal pint: I was 16 or 17 in a village in Dublin. Walked into the pub, bought a pint and immediately dropped it!! An old boy at the bar bought me another one. Sat down and told this bird (she was at least 30) I played for a team in Scotland called Raith (it was before the days of Internet on mobile phones so no google searches could rumble me!). She started stroking my leg. I got guttered and at some point talked so much shite that she left haha.

Legal pint: my 18th birthday in the Merlin with my Dad and my Uncle. Think we had a couple in the Waiting Room too. No leg stroking there thankfully! :lol:

Konrad von Carstein

Illegal - Kenilworth at 16 while skiving school

Legal - Busy Bee Saughton Mains - loved that pub, although I believe it has, err "gotten worser" over the years, never been in it for over 25 years

The Old Tolbooth

Illegal - Kenilworth at 16 while skiving school

Legal - Busy Bee Saughton Mains - loved that pub, although I believe it has, err "gotten worser" over the years, never been in it for over 25 years

Busy Bee is a cracking boozer, I've drunk there many times as Linda is from round there and always had a cracking night, the locals are sound too, any trouble and they sort it themselves (which to be fair is very rare these days, however the only time I took some of my mates from Gala in there, there was boxing outside after the Hearts v Hibs Hampden semi which we won 4-0) :lol:

They think it's a dive now :( (which it is, but it's still a good boozer)

Konrad von Carstein

Busy Bee is a cracking boozer, I've drunk there many times as Linda is from round there and always had a cracking night, the locals are sound too, any trouble and they sort it themselves (which to be fair is very rare these days, however the only time I took some of my mates from Gala in there, there was boxing outside after the Hearts v Hibs Hampden semi which we won 4-0) :lol:

I literally grew up round fannying about the Busy, fekking about at the shops and in the car park...once me and the mates became regulars we had a great time and I have a load of happy memories from that time.

If your wife was using the Busy when the function "suite" became a pool hall then we probably knew each other if she spent any time in there.

Franklin Delano Bluth

I literally grew up round fannying about the Busy, fekking about at the shops and in the car park...once me and the mates became regulars we had a great time and I have a load of happy memories from that time.

If your wife was using the Busy when the function "suite" became a pool hall then we probably knew each other if she spent any time in there.

Oh...

This could get interesting...

Sent from my HTC One X using Tapatalk 2

Konrad von Carstein

Oh...

This could get interesting...

Pervert :lol:

Edinburgh University Potterow...........one of the few places where you did not feel out of place at a young age and easy to get served.

Private Womble

I grew up round the corner from the busy bee also, but it would be well after you guys haha

Franklin Delano Bluth

Pervert :lol:

No denial...

:jjyay:

Konrad von Carstein

No denial...

:jjyay:

Of course not........a gentleman never tells...

(especially if there is nothing to say :( )

The Grovesnor (sic) at the West End. First lager of many!

I remember one pub where I was a regular under-ager drinking for two years and being asked to removed a group of French students for being under-age. I dont know if it was sarcastic but I remember the barmaid giving me a free pint afterwards and then asking me for my ID as a joke; I just laughed but my face must have gone pure white!

I wasn't turned away from a pub for being under age or ID'd until I was 19 and didn't bother carrying ID. Gordon Arms on Rose Street refused to serve me.

alwaysthereinspirit

My first illegal was in a dive on Morrison St opposite St Cuthberts dairy.

First legal was probably the Gold Medal opposite the Commie pool.

The Old Tolbooth

The mother in law stays right behind the pub, the family name is the Smart's, ring any bells?

Pint of norseman lager in the goodies when i was 14 about 1975 disgusting stuff served in a big jam jar.

Say What Again

Pint of norseman lager in the goodies when i was 14 about 1975 disgusting stuff served in a big jam jar.

I'm sure my folks still have a Norseman Lager glass tankard somewhere in the cupboards. :D

Seymour M Hersh

My first pint was in the Murrayfield Bar. I was 14 went in (for reasons I still can't fully explain) didn't know what to really ask for but went for a pint of special (first advert that sprang to mind probably) may have finished it, cant' remember. Barman probably thought I was too young but not that young. oh and the pint (albeit in the public bar) was 14p!!!!

Illegal pint: I was 16 or 17 in a village in Dublin. Walked into the pub, bought a pint and immediately dropped it!! An old boy at the bar bought me another one. Sat down and told this bird (she was at least 30) I played for a team in Scotland called Raith (it was before the days of Internet on mobile phones so no google searches could rumble me!). She started stroking my leg. I got guttered and at some point talked so much shite that she left haha.

Legal pint: my 18th birthday in the Merlin with my Dad and my Uncle. Think we had a couple in the Waiting Room too. No leg stroking there thankfully! :lol:

I tried that in Shagaluf and told some bint that I was on Dundee United's books. That was back in 1989 when I was just 17. However I got so rat arsed that, after a trip to the bog, I lost her :laugh:

Sawdust Caesar

My first illegal one, I was 15 and it was in The Top O' The Walk on the roof of St James centre, my older mate went to the bar to buy them whilst I lurked in a corner, when he handed me my pint I was so nervous about dropping it (and making a scene) I held on to it with both hands. He soon put me straight.

First legal was in the Victoria Bar on Leith Walk.

Gavsy Van Gaverson

Edinburgh University Potterow...........one of the few places where you did not feel out of place at a young age and easy to get served.

They used to do some ridiculous cheap deals on bottles. Some of the nights they had one were decent too.

• 1 year later...

First legal pint - A pint of what was probably Tennents in the Cafe Royal at the back of Princes Street / St Andrew's Square after beating Dinamo Zagreb 2-0 at Tynecastle on my birthday (We went out 4-2 on aggregate) :lol:

I still look about 16, so I never got served before then! Got my mates to buy me a pint of cider in a pub in Berwick when I was 17, but that was it.

Made up for it since ;)

Guest C00l K1d

First legal pint was in Bannermans i think :laugh:

First illegal was some bar on the beach in Sunny Beach in Bulgaria :laugh: :laugh: Just before it started to become the place it has the reputation for now mind.

Gavsy Van Gaverson

Must have been about 14 or 15 in the BMC for my first illegal one thanks to a few posters on here. Saturday discos were always fun.

:lol:

First illegal pint. I'm not sure exactly when but I was around 16 and it was in the old Gylemuir Inn. It was at an 18th birthday party.

First legal pint was the Sighthill Hotel.

PsychocAndy

First pint Bass Special in The Gunner.

First pint my Da' bought me was at the Legion in the Pans at my Papa's funeral. I was 12.

Can't honestly tell you where my first legal pint was.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk 2

My first illegal pint was a Black and Tan in the Shakespeare on Lothian Road. There were three of us pals and as usual there is always one wise guy who knows exactly how it should be done.We walked up to the bar, each of us ordered a black and tan, when we had finished the order the barman said most beer drinkers one man orders all three drinks then each pay for a round. We drank up got out of there, then away to the Palais like we knew what we were doing acting like we had drained a few beers. Fifteen years old, seems a long time ago, but its really only sixty three years.

Crivvens, was that called the Shakespeare back then, it must be one of the oldest pubs in the centre of Edinburgh of it's type(lounge bar, not traditional pub} that has kept the same name.

My first illegal one, I was 15 and it was in The Top O' The Walk on the roof of St James centre, my older mate went to the bar to buy them whilst I lurked in a corner, when he handed me my pint I was so nervous about dropping it (and making a scene) I held on to it with both hands. He soon put me straight.

First legal was in the Victoria Bar on Leith Walk.

I got refused there when I was 19, one of the group that was with us got served and he was 17, think it was called The Spot at that time

Stuart Lyon

The shakespeare has a had a few other names

Shakespeare, Palmers, Cameron's Bar, Cambridge Bar, Shakespears Return Cameron's Bar The Square

First illegal , Silver Wing, seem to remember holding the pint with both hands,first legal Balmoral Bar (probably)

Stewart MacD

Under-age is Too far back to remember, but it was probably 6 Palmerston Place (Manor)where I went regularly before I reached 18.

Could also have been Betty's (Old Chain Pier) with a coat over the Trinity uniform.

Malcolm Tucker

First illegal pint was in the Colinton Inn. It was our first senior ceilidh at Firrhill, no-one with us was older than 17. I was 16 at the time. About 50 of us piled in, everyone got served, me and my bursd at the time eventually got barred for (in want of a better phrase) rodding in the only female toilet cubicle for about 30 mins, which caused the lassies who were there to piss outside on all the empty kegs. Some memory.

First legal pint was in Diggers on my 18th. Standard.

the general

legal pint in the Chesser Inn - we had been frinking in there for months anyway - the owner came over and apologetically asked for ID as police had been sniffing around

he checked it then walked away but came storming back about 15 minutes later going mental cos I had been underage drinking there all that time

eventually he saw the funny side and bought me a pint lol

first illegal pint probably between Wheatsheaf,Lord Darnley or the Ensign Ewart

the general

its shut again isnt it?

itsnomarooned

No way I can remember precisely where the fist legal pint was but probably one of the following given this is where I used to to with school mates for illegal drinks:

• Cottars Howff
  • Travellers Tryst (bus station)

It may well have been eslewhere, The Pub on Rose St, The Bull & Bush on Lothain Road but the first 2 are a reasonable shout.

legal pint in the Chesser Inn - we had been frinking in there for months anyway - the owner came over and apologetically asked for ID as police had been sniffing around

he checked it then walked away but came storming back about 15 minutes later going mental cos I had been underage drinking there all that time

eventually he saw the funny side and bought me a pint lol

first illegal pint probably between Wheatsheaf,Lord Darnley or the Ensign Ewart

Willie Allen ? was a dick, George Stewart was a sound good guy

the general

Willie Allen ? was a dick, George Stewart was a sound good guy

correct give the man a coconut :-)

The Old Tolbooth

its shut again isnt it?

Yeah mate, sadly. Looks like it's for good this time too :(

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I wasn't turned away from a pub for being under age or ID'd until I was 19 and didn't bother carrying ID. Gordon Arms on Rose Street refused to serve me.

Used to drink in there many moons ago, 1/4 gills and lock-ins with Bald John the manager some great nights, before and after going to Tynecastle.

Archived