Your First Pint

Cairneyhill Jambo

Cairneyhill Jambo

My first illegal pint was in Gala Rugby Club. I remember absolutely sh*ting myself going up to buy it! There's just not the same novelty going to buy a pint when you can do it legally!

Where was Bobbins Nightclub by the way? never even heard of it.

It was on Market Street next to the cinema i think.

• Replies 166
  • Created
  • Last Reply

market bar ....... good lord , all the jakey's of inverness go there. sure it opens really early. anyway mine was in johnny foxes inverness age 16/17.

Downstairs at the market bar you're right.

Upstairs is the cultural hub of the highlands.

First illegal pint was when I was 16 in a converted pub that used to be a church in Elgin 3 pints of lager and I was away with it.

First legal pint was at the masons West Calder on my 18th

I P Knightley

I was trying to work out the other day what pub I had my first illegal/legal pint in. My first pint was in the Tynie Arms when I was 15 in 1984. My first legal pint was in the nightclub Bobbins in Galashiels.

Anyone else remember theirs?

Don't remember the first legal one. As one of the youngest in my school year, I'd been out and about with the 18 year olds for most of the year while they were legal and I wasn't. One time we were bounced from a pub when the barmaid said she wouldn't serve him, him and him but would serve those 2. Him, him and him were all 18, those 2 were 17. Daft bint.

First illegal pint (of heavy) cost me 42p.

My first legal pint was in The Comm in Beauly. The first pint my dad bought me was in the Caledonian Hotel in the same village.

Grosvner on Shandwick Place when I was 15. Went back there for my first legal pint as well. Did a lot of drinking in and around Stockbridge where there were never any Bouncers in the intervening years.

First legal pint: i the Edmonstone Inn Danderhall

first illegal pint: 15 years old at a birthday party in Danderhall miners club

adambraejambo

1st pint was the greenmantle in causewayside was 15 and was a pint if lowenbro (no idea how it was spelt) 1st legal was in the old bell inn .

Cairneyhill Jambo

Digbys?

I'm pretty sure Digbys was the Douglas Hotel on Channel Street.

Bobbins was on Market street, right down the bottom of Channel street.

I think technically in Bordeaux when I was 15. But here was the wheatsheaf at about 16, first legal I think was golf tavern

I think technically in Bordeaux when I was 15. But here was the wheatsheaf at about 16, first legal I think was golf tavern

amstel and tennents velvet mmmm

First illegal pint that was bought for me was at my Grandads funeral when I was about 14-15, a pint of murphy's irish stout :11300:

First illegal pint that I bought was at the Kinleith Arms in Juniper Green when I was 16, and went on to purchase many more over the years there before moving out of Currie. I think it was Calders 70 and was about ?1.40 a pint.

First legal pint was in the Peartree, just after I spent a load of money in Avalanche across the road from it on my 18th birthday in 1998. Probably a pint of Stella.

I'm pretty sure Digbys was the Douglas Hotel on Channel Street.

Bobbins was on Market street, right down the bottom of Channel street.

After much thinking, digbys was in same building as pictures, bingo and the bingo bar. Always remember catching the happy hour in the bingo bar before going into the railway. From there it was hunter kennedys

Cairneyhill Jambo

After much thinking, digbys was in same building as pictures, bingo and the bingo bar. Always remember catching the happy hour in the bingo bar before going into the railway. From there it was hunter kennedys

You're right. It was Digbys that was next to the cinema. So was it Bobbins that was in the Douglas Hotel?

You're right. It was Digbys that was next to the cinema. So was it Bobbins that was in the Douglas Hotel?

The name bobbins doesn't ring a bell with me at all. What era are you on about?

My illegal drinking in gala started about 1987, with proper nights out starting a year later.

All I remember the Douglas hotel getting used for, apart for a hotel of course, were things like visiting record fairs. Don't recall drinking in it once

Cairneyhill Jambo

The name bobbins doesn't ring a bell with me at all. What era are you on about?

My illegal drinking in gala started about 1987, with proper nights out starting a year later.

All I remember the Douglas hotel getting used for, apart for a hotel of course, were things like visiting record fairs. Don't recall drinking in it once

It would have been around 1985-87 that I used to drink in it. There was a small nightclub through the back. I'm sure it was the Douglas Hotel. Where's John Mitchell when you need him????

chuck berrys hairline

First illegal pint would have been kenilworth rose street aged 14/15 and first legal was the westfield!

chuck berrys hairline

First illegal pint aged 15 in a pub called the local in Dedridge, Livi.

First legal pint was in same boozer. Reckon I would still be drinking there now if it never closed down. Great pub best in Livi. Aaah memories :sob:

Is that the lizzie brice? before it got flattened

It would have been around 1985-87 that I used to drink in it. There was a small nightclub through the back. I'm sure it was the Douglas Hotel. Where's John Mitchell when you need him????

I never started my "clubbing" until 89 and I know it wasn't about then. Could bobbins have been in the hotel opposite the railway tavern, I remember it changing names a few times, was once the Waverley wine bar circa 89-90. They used to sell jelly tequila and vodka.

My first legal pint was in the Waiting Room. Mind it used to be ?2:40 a pint in there and everyone baulked at the price.

Is that the lizzie brice? before it got flattened

the local was it not the one next to the old dole office nearer the centre ? Lizzie bryce was further along the road nearer the lizzie bryce roundabout ?

First pint in the Coronation Inn in aged 14,left school after an hour the next day with a hangover, Didn't put me off .

First pint - The Old Mealmarket Inn Dalkeith at lunch time from school.

First legal pint - The Maulsford Danderhall.

The Old Tolbooth

I was trying to work out the other day what pub I had my first illegal/legal pint in. My first pint was in the Tynie Arms when I was 15 in 1984. My first legal pint was in the nightclub Bobbins in Galashiels.

Anyone else remember theirs?

One of my first underage pints was in Bobbins in Gala :lol:

My first legal pint was in Nikkis Bar in Gala, drank there for a long time and i remember the night of my 18th birthday, Nikki asked me what the celebration was, I said I turned 18 today, and she said I was a little shit because I'd been drinking in there for ages :D

Placid Casual

A good Gala contingent on here :)

My first legal pint was in the Cuddy Green ? another great Gala pub, sadly long gone.

Didn't have many illegal drinks due to my baby face!

Cairneyhill Jambo

One of my first underage pints was in Bobbins in Gala :lol:

My first legal pint was in Nikkis Bar in Gala, drank there for a long time and i remember the night of my 18th birthday, Nikki asked me what the celebration was, I said I turned 18 today, and she said I was a little shit because I'd been drinking in there for ages :D

John, was Bobbins in the Douglas Hotel?

My first legal pint was in the Cuddy Green ? another great Gala pub, sadly long gone.

The cuddy green was the only pub in gala I had to wait until I was old enough, due to a lassie I was in school with, her mother worked there on weekend nights.

What was the best pub in gala?

I preferred the golden lion or the bridge.

Obviously the salmon on Saturdays, to catch the borders hearts bus

Pathhead Club when i was 14, in the games room sending my mate to the bar :)

First legal was in the Westsider at midnight on my birthday... Then spent the rest of that day in the Gauntlet.

Fort Vallance

First illegal pint in the House O Hill at Blackhall aged 15. First legal one in the same place. 11.1/2p for Pale Ale, 13.1/2p for Tartan Special, 15.1/2p for McEwans Export & Harp Lager. 3 pints, packet of crisps and a half on the bus home for 50p !

Often went to the Diggers as a 16/17 year old before games as my sister's pal worked behind the bar.

First legal drinks were in the Standing Order, followed by Sportsters and City on a Wednesday night back in 2006. :facepalm:

First pint bought for me was when I was 14, before a derby at ER. My Dads mates who helped smuggle me pass the copper and into the pub (cant remeber which pub though) insisted he buy me a pint or they'd do it. So I got a pint bought for me by the Auld Man.

First pint I bought myself was at 16 in Oddfellows and I bought a Snakebite :)

First legal pint was a few days after me and some friends got back from Shagaluf (I turned 18 while accross there) and we had to wait to get collected from Newcastle Airport so we all went for a beer there.

I can remember the first time i drank (it wasn't pretty and i pulled a hippo) but can't remeber the first time i drank a pint in a pub.

What we did do at school though is swap our school ties for other ties (usually our dads') and go for a pint or two at lunchtime now and again. The pub must have cottoned on that the four or five young businessmen were from the local school but they served us anyway!

Serj Tankian

Golden lion reopens very soon .

First pint was the Doric behind the station watch totp there then over to bobby mcgees then last bus about 11 home and brag about it at school next day .

Placid Casual

The cuddy green was the only pub in gala I had to wait until I was old enough, due to a lassie I was in school with, her mother worked there on weekend nights.

The Woodcutter. No contest :2thumbsup:

Aye, I always liked the Golden Lion and the Railway. I was told recently that the Lion is re-opening ? not sure if this is correct. [Edit: I've just read the post above!]

Pre-match it was the Salmon and post-match the Ladhope (used to load up on cheese and ham toasties before hitting the town).

Remnants of Standards

Downstairs at the market bar you're right.

Upstairs is the cultural hub of the highlands.

Correctomundo boomstick. Heading there tonight infact to help Inverness pay it's own special tribute to Mrs T.

Downstairs reminds me of the oft-quoted Star Wars bar scene though.

Adi Dassler

My first legal pint was in the Wheatsheaf I recall.

It saddens me every time I pass and see it's turned into a 'Fame Academy'.

The People's Chimp

Not sure exactly, but we used to go to Riley's in Dunfermline and get a snooker table up the back. The hushed, darkened recesses of a snooker hall were ideal for under age drinking. It was usually nookie broon back then. One time that stands out as probably the first though was the charlatans gig at Livingston forum Nov 1995. Think that pints were ?1.80!! We tanned 4 each, 2 lagers, 2 ciders, basically necking them. Pissed up I had one the of the best nights I've had at a gig. Immense.

The Woodcutter. No contest :2thumbsup:

Aye, I always liked the Golden Lion and the Railway. I was told recently that the Lion is re-opening ? not sure if this is correct. [Edit: I've just read the post above!]

Pre-match it was the Salmon and post-match the Ladhope (used to load up on cheese and ham toasties before hitting the town).

I was seeing a lass from langlee when I was 16 so I was known to pop in the woodcutter on the odd Friday night. Was no bad.

Anyone from gala remember going for cherry vodka at the polish club, or 140 proof vodka at the Ukrainian club? Quite enjoyed going to the latter as it was basically like going into someone's house for a drink.

Often went to the Diggers as a 16/17 year old before games as my sister's pal worked behind the bar.

First legal drinks were in the Standing Order, followed by Sportsters and City on a Wednesday night back in 2006. :facepalm:

City was the place to be for the underage man about town on a Wednesday night around 2004-2006. It was just wall to wall schoolies. I turned 18 in 2006 as well so was a regular. Sportsters early doors to get your entry band before the bouncers came on, then off to the cowgate for a few cheap ones before back to City with no worries about being asked for ID. Great days :rofl:

The Old Tolbooth

I'm surprised you even get served now, you've still got that baby face :P

John, was Bobbins in the Douglas Hotel?

Yeah it was mate, cracking place for an underage boogie!

I remember one night the Hearts crew were out in fancy dress for some reason, the lassies had to wear mens PJ's, and the men had to wear womens PJ's or nighties, well I had this flipping nightie on and somehow :whistling: got so bloody wrecked that I managed to fall asleep sitting on the bog with my nightie hitched up going for a dump, it wasn't until after the place shut that the bouncers were checking the toilets and noticed I was sound asleep in there with the door locked, instead of banging on the door to wake me up, they poured stale beer over the top the gits!

They formed a guard of honour on the way out and clapped me out the door in this bloody nightie, all 6 of them! :lol:

The Railway was by far the best pub mate, I used to enjoy the Salmon before the bus came too, and then the Ladhope after games for our bags of crisps with pickled eggs in, and a toastie for tea, good times! :thumbsup:

I was seeing a lass from langlee when I was 16 so I was known to pop in the woodcutter on the odd Friday night. Was no bad.

Anyone from gala remember going for cherry vodka at the polish club, or 140 proof vodka at the Ukrainian club? Quite enjoyed going to the latter as it was basically like going into someone's house for a drink.

We regularly went to the Polish club for their Cherry Vodka, Crubnik (sp?) and the Gold Vasser :booze:

One of the times we were sitting through the back listening to their only music they had (Abba), we had just beaten Rangers at Tynie (I think), and Kev started doing the Gorgie sway, (whatever the feck that was) and Terry went over in his chair and burst his leg big time, he was off work for months with it. The ambulance driver came up the stairs with the crutches and saw Terry lying in a heap on the floor, and he shouted, for gods sake, someone support his heid!! Gary, one of my mates, started singing "Terry's heid, Terry's heid, Terry's heid", not one of us could do a thing for laughing :rofl:

Man, I miss those days! :(

chuck berrys hairline

the local was it not the one next to the old dole office nearer the centre ? Lizzie bryce was further along the road nearer the lizzie bryce roundabout ?

Yip thats correct didn't even no there used to be a pub along that way knew there used to be a sports bar next to the lawyers offices but i think that failed!!

Placid Casual
I'm surprised you even get served now, you've still got that baby face :P

I'm due to hit puberty any day now!

One of the times we were sitting through the back listening to their only music they had (Abba), we had just beaten Rangers at Tynie (I think), and Kev started doing the Gorgie sway, (whatever the feck that was) and Terry went over in his chair and burst his leg big time, he was off work for months with it. The ambulance driver came up the stairs with the crutches and saw Terry lying in a heap on the floor, and he shouted, for gods sake, someone support his heid!! Gary, one of my mates, started singing "Terry's heid, Terry's heid, Terry's heid", not one of us could do a thing for laughing

:rofl:

I was in what used to be the Railway last year ? wolfing down my Chicken Bhuna where the Snakepit used to be...

:sob:

The Beau Brummel aged 16,Betty's (the landlady) face was a picture when we celebrated my 18th in there after frequenting the place for 2 years.

1st legal pint was on the Dover to Calais ferry.

Mines was a pint of Bass Special in the Plough Inn Perth on my 16th Birthday. My auld man said that if I was old enough to work then I was old enough to drink.

It's that long ago I'm not sure!

Think it was when I was a member of the 'Grove Hearts Supporters Club.' I must've been about 16.

My first 'legal' one could well have been 'The Osbourne Bar.' At the 'West End.'

Pint of McEwans Pale Ale in the Centurian Public Bar around 1975. It cost 14 pence I seem to recall.

A really lovely Pint .

Archived