** World Snooker ** - Official Thread

Maroon Sailor

Maroon Sailor

Maguire losing the rag - had enough of that frame and stomps off !

• Replies 272
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Maroon Sailor

Pre tournament favourite Neil Robertson out in the 1st Round as well !

shaun.lawson

Predictions

Semi-Finals

O'Sullivan 15-17 Trump

Robertson 17-15 Selby

Final

Trump 16-18 Robertson

Oh FFS. :vrface:

That's me laying Robertson for ?100.

PHREEE MUNNNEYYY

and all that.

THIS

Maroon Sailor

Your soothsaying skills are taking a bit of a battering this year Shaun !

shaun.lawson

Your soothsaying skills are taking a bit of a battering this year Shaun !

When did they ever not?

If I were to type "after hubris comes nemesis", you should all race down the bookies and put your life savings on nemesis coming first.

Anyone but Ronnie, Selby, Trump or Murphy for me, which judging by the first round leaves Carter as most likely to stop one of them.

Rudi Skacel

Iv been watching snooker for years and thats the first time i have ever seen the 3 miss rule needing to be applied, such a shame.

Maroon Sailor

How many mistakes does that ref Michaela Tabb make ?

First of all when setting the balls up she doesn't put the blue on it's spot

Now she has just picked the cue ball up off the table and placed it on the pink spot after Michael White just potted the black !

Chaka Demus & pliers

How many mistakes does that ref Michaela Tabb make ?

First of all when setting the balls up she doesn't put the blue on it's spot

Now she has just picked the cue ball up off the table and placed it on the pink spot after Michael White just potted the black !

Probably got the painters in.

She hides these bad-boys well eh?

michaela-tabb-cleavage-1.jpg

Maroon Sailor

Iv been watching snooker for years and thats the first time i have ever seen the 3 miss rule needing to be applied, such a shame.

I missed that frame at the time - just watched it back on the iplayer - yeah first time I've seen that, quite bizarre but so is Poomjaeng. I've never seen a character like him at the Crucible. He's off his rocker !

Must admit, I've not watched the gas cooker for a good few years, and now don't have a clue who most of these players are! Where's Doug Mountjoy and Terry Griffiths?!

Maroon Sailor

Must admit, I've not watched the gas cooker for a good few years, and now don't have a clue who most of these players are! Where's Doug Mountjoy and Terry Griffiths?!

Griffiths does a bit of commentary but is also a decent coach.

No idea with Mountjoy.

Used to like it in those days as well - only recently got back in to myself after I went to the crucible 2 years ago.

Maroon Sailor

Electric Shock stops play on one of the tables this morning.

Graeme Dott has had a couple of shocks off the table due to static from the carpet.

They've taken the players off while they water the carpet !!

Harry Palmer

Shan Murphy beats Dott by 13 frames to 11..

Things conspiring against the view of the vast majority here...glad that Poomjaeng guy has gone though, annoying as feck. First time at the Crucible that the 3 miss = frame rule was used though so he'll have his place in history/quiz shows.

Maroon Sailor

Bloody Selby !

9-6 up and loses 13-10

I blame Mr Lawson !

Sergio Garcia

My predictions for the semi final line up with Ali Carter knocking out the rocket then immediately falling to the Wizard of Wishaw.

John Higgins v Judd Trump

Neil Robertson v Mark Allen

Final between Higgins and Allen with the Northern Irishman winning his first World Championships.

First time I have caught up with any snooker and checked who is still in and I see 3 out of 4 of my predicted semi finalists are out already and only that wee erse Trump is left standing.

I never used to miss much of the Crucible but lucky if I'll see a whole session this year.

shaun.lawson

Bloody Selby !

9-6 up and loses 13-10

I blame Mr Lawson !

But I didn't tip him.

Maroon Sailor

But I didn't tip him.

He was in your last 4 and 2 of your semi finalists have bit the chalk already - not even halfway through the tournament and 2 highly fancied players have packed their bags.

shaun.lawson

He was in your last 4 and 2 of your semi finalists have bit the chalk already - not even halfway through the tournament and 2 highly fancied players have packed their bags.

:lol: He was in everyone's last 4! He's world number 1 FFS.

Higgins was fancied too, of course - and he's gone as well; Maguire and Allen's defeats were both real surprises; and now Ding's in trouble too.

I blame Barry Hearn. Absurdly over-saturated tour exhausting a whole bunch of top players - and leaving the way clear for O'Sullivan, fresh as a daisy, to saunter into Sheffield having played no snooker all season and immediately look capable of winning this thing again. Amazing for him if he does, but a pox on Hearn. Some of his decisions have been ludicrous. :down:

Maroon Sailor

Not everyone's last 4 !

His record at the crucible is not that great. That's one thing that makes people doubt he could actually become World Champion.

I think you may be right ref the tour. The top players seemed to be burnt out.

The bottom half of the draw is wide open for a relative unknown to make it to the final. Definitely going to be a first time finalist that's for sure.

Rudi Skacel

Have watched most of the sessions this year so far but I have to say im not enjoying it as much.

I have a feeling we are going to have a 1 sided final aswell.

I dont mind the upsets but a whole host of top players have gone out and round 2 isnt even finished yet.

Its nice that some other names can come into the mix and good for them, but I wouldnt enjoy watching a semi final finish with a session to spare and possibly the final aswell.

I hope im wrong and really enjoy the latter stages though.

shaun.lawson

Not everyone's last 4 !

His record at the crucible is not that great. That's one thing that makes people doubt he could actually become World Champion.

I think you may be right ref the tour. The top players seemed to be burnt out.

The bottom half of the draw is wide open for a relative unknown to make it to the final. Definitely going to be a first time finalist that's for sure.

And from next season onwards, Hearn has ensured that the top 16 have to enter all tournaments when everyone else does. :down:

There's no question that snooker needed a major revamp when he took over - but he is way too powerful, and has gone way, way too far. The majority of the tour's events are now held in China - and players are expected to pay their own flight and accommodation expenses. In the case of anyone who loses in the first couple of rounds, that's insane.

Beyond that: snooker actually needs to give its few household names a wee bit of protection - otherwise, the public will find it impossible to identify with continual new names they've never heard of. Snooker's boom years in the 1980s were because the sport had so many recognisable characters: Higgins, White, Taylor, Thorburn, Thorne, Davis, etc; then, through a 1990s Big Four of Hendry, White, Davis and Parrott; and a 2000s Big Four of O'Sullivan, Higgins, Hendry and Williams, at least the public still knew who the star players were.

Not now though. Now, there's too much constant change - and it's impossible for the sport's more experienced players to stay up there. The year long slog is just too intense. Hearn's in danger of screwing up the sport, just in a completely different way. Very sad. :(

Rudi Skacel

And from next season onwards, Hearn has ensured that the top 16 have to enter all tournaments when everyone else does. :down:

There's no question that snooker needed a major revamp when he took over - but he is way too powerful, and has gone way, way too far. The majority of the tour's events are now held in China - and players are expected to pay their own flight and accommodation expenses. In the case of anyone who loses in the first couple of rounds, that's insane.

Beyond that: snooker actually needs to give its few household names a wee bit of protection - otherwise, the public will find it impossible to identify with continual new names they've never heard of. Snooker's boom years in the 1980s were because the sport had so many recognisable characters: Higgins, White, Taylor, Thorburn, Thorne, Davis, etc; then, through a 1990s Big Four of Hendry, White, Davis and Parrott; and a 2000s Big Four of O'Sullivan, Higgins, Hendry and Williams, at least the public still knew who the star players were.

Not now though. Now, there's too much constant change - and it's impossible for the sport's more experienced players to stay up there. The year long slog is just too intense. Hearn's in danger of screwing up the sport, just in a completely different way. Very sad. :(

I know about that new rule change Shaun, how will that affect the World Championship? Do top 16 still get into last 32 (1st round) or will they insanely have to qualify?

shaun.lawson

Have watched most of the sessions this year so far but I have to say im not enjoying it as much.

I have a feeling we are going to have a 1 sided final aswell.

I dont mind the upsets but a whole host of top players have gone out and round 2 isnt even finished yet.

Its nice that some other names can come into the mix and good for them, but I wouldnt enjoy watching a semi final finish with a session to spare and possibly the final aswell.

I hope im wrong and really enjoy the latter stages though.

The bottom half of the draw is a complete joke now. When Nigel Bond reached the final in 1995 after similar carnage, that seemed remarkable enough; but it's about a million miles away from what's happening at this tournament.

shaun.lawson

I know about that new rule change Shaun, how will that affect the World Championship? Do top 16 still get into last 32 (1st round) or will they insanely have to qualify?

Sorry, I shouldn't have written "all". Only the World Champs, Australian Open and Shanghai Masters will be protected. Probably only a matter of time before he removes the protection of those events too though!

Rudi Skacel

I hope he doesnt, world championship is about the only tournament I can watch these days. Hate tournaments that are first to 4 or 5 frames, cant get into the match. Someone has a bad frame or 2 and they are almost out.

Maroon Sailor

Top 16 will still get in to the 1st round at the worlds

Maroon Sailor

The bottom half of the draw is a complete joke now. When Nigel Bond reached the final in 1995 after similar carnage, that seemed remarkable enough; but it's about a million miles away from what's happening at this tournament.

Bit harsh to say the bottom half of the draw is a complete joke.

These players won their matches fair and square. The fact that Allen, Robertson, Maguire and Selby didn't bring their 'A' games to the crucible is not the fault of the players that knocked them out.

The likes of Milkins and Hawkins are journeymen pro's but they've stuck in there and it appears that Terry Griffiths is having a massive influence on them with regards to shot selection.

O.K these guys might not be box office but at least we are not seeing the same players in the latter stages of tournaments all the time.

Sorry, I shouldn't have written "all". Only the World Champs, Australian Open and Shanghai Masters will be protected. Probably only a matter of time before he removes the protection of those events too though!

35 years ago today...................so close :10800:

They might as well just hand it to Ronnie now, sadly. The only plus point being one of Trump/Murphy goes out in the next round.

They might as well just hand it to Ronnie now, sadly. The only plus point being one of Trump/Murphy goes out in the next round.

Ding Junhui/Sullivan final. Ding to come out on top.

Maroon Sailor

Hopefully it will be Murphy or as Ken Doherty says Morfay

O'Sullivan is playing the best snooker i've seen him play. Unbelievable stuff!

Maroon Sailor

O'Sullivan is playing the best snooker i've seen him play. Unbelievable stuff!

It's exhibition stuff

6-0 and I wouldn't be surprised if he wins 13-0

Maroon Sailor

Bingham takes the last frame of the session

7-1 Game On !

I P Knightley

What TF is going on with that Welsh laddie's collar and tie? (I realise that sounded just like my dad but, seriously, wtf?)

Was watching a bit of it this afty and there was one bloke missing his pots by about as much as I would. Couldn't believe how low the standard was. O'Sullivan, on the other hand, was sublime.

Maroon Sailor

The collar and tie thing is a bit strange - can only think he doesn't feel comfortable with the top button done up. Maguire has a medical note exempting him from wearing a tie.

Great stuff from Trump tonight. 8-3 down and takes the last 5 frames of the session to level at 8-8 overnight.

Maroon Sailor

Decent match between Trump and Murphy this.

:jjyay:

It's tense

Prince Buaben

The collar and tie thing is a bit strange - can only think he doesn't feel comfortable with the top button done up. Maguire has a medical note exempting him from wearing a tie.

Great stuff from Trump tonight. 8-3 down and takes the last 5 frames of the session to level at 8-8 overnight.

A medical note?

Maroon Sailor

A medical note?

Yeah I think he gets some kind of rash - not sure though

Maroon Sailor

How did Trump miss that pink over the pocket to win the frame ?

Maroon Sailor

Trump through that away

11-11

Both players feeling it

Prince Buaben

Yeah I think he gets some kind of rash - not sure though

I didnt know that cheers.

Archived