4-5-1 A recipe for success?

Martin_T

If/when Kingston returns from Ghana and assuming we make no signings this transfer window, I honestly believe 4-5-1 to be our best formation for the rest of the season...

......................Banks

Neilson...... Karipidis........ Berra.........Goncalves

............Jonsson.............Paluzeulos

......................Kingston..........

Cesnauskis................................Driver

..................Velicka

To me that looks a strong team on paper, arguments could be made for Stewart over Jonsson, Tall over Karipidis and Walace over Goncalves, but I'd fancy that team to get a result in most games for the rest of the season.

the voice from above
If/when Kingston returns from Ghana and assuming we make no signings this transfer window, I honestly believe 4-5-1 to be our best formation for the rest of the season...

To me that looks a strong team on paper, arguments could be made for Stewart over Jonsson, Tall over Karipidis and Walace over Goncalves, but I'd fancy that team to get a result in most games for the rest of the season.

agreed (except for robbie, just play a youngster, any youngster or bring maybury back)

Put Karapidis in for Neilson and Tall in beside Berra.

Stewart in for Jonsson as the young lad is nowhere near Mikeys level yet.

The main problem with a solitary striker is that leaves both the centre backs to mark him out of the game.

Velicka is dangerous but isn't the most mobile striker so this would limit our goal tallies.

Rudolf's Mate

I agree with a post on another thread that 4 5 1 is our only option due to the strikers we currently have at the club. If this were resolved then I'd want 2 up top!

I agree, good team , and thats the midfield i would play. Dont think stewart and ruben can play in same team , and i think ruben is better player just now. Also cant wait till kingston is back, he looked good for ghana last night.

4-4-2 even with what we've got.

With 4-5-1 we never look like demolishing a team. As seen on Saturday, when we go ahead our formation encourages us to sit back waaaaay too much.

A midfield of Chesney Ruben Kingston Driver - or maybe swap Ruben out to the right, Chesney to the left, with Jonsson playing the holding role if we're too lightweight with two wingers.

Velicka + Makela (or a youngster? ) upfront until Nade shifts a couple of stone.

With 4-5-1 we never look like demolishing a team. As seen on Saturday, when we go ahead our formation encourages us to sit back waaaaay too much.

A midfield of Chesney Ruben Kingston Driver - or maybe swap Ruben out to the right, Chesney to the left, with Jonsson playing the holding role if we're too lightweight with two wingers.

Velicka + Makela (or a youngster? ) upfront until Nade shifts a couple of stone.

Much more sense.

Mr Romanov Saviour of HMFC

I really don't like the 4-5-1 formation. Far far to negative and invites teams onto us.

It should NEVER be played at home regardless of the personel.

I'd go for;

....................Banks

.....Tall Karipidis Berra Goncalves

..............Jonsson Palazuelos

Cesnauskis.............................Driver

....................Kingston

.....................Velicka

a backup team of;

GK Basso

RB Neilson

CD Zaliukas

LB Wallace

RM Mikoliunas

CM Aguiar, Stewart, Ivaskevicius

LM McCann

ST Nade, Elliot, Beniusis

You need to have a squad with a range of options. When you're playing Celtic and Rangers, I think a 4-5-1 is fine, because you need to keep the ball. At home to any other team in th league we shouldn't be playing it, and only occasionally in away games.

At the moment the obvious reason for a 4-5-1 is we don't have two good enough strikers for a 4-4-2.

great team for the next month or so,the gretna game excluded,as it looks perfect for those fixtures, with perhaps tall at right back if fit........

obviously stewart until larry is back.

Makela? You must be having a laugh.

4-3-2-1 is the way forward.

Victor Meldrew

I think tha with the personnel we have a 4-5-1 system is the right one: it allows Driver and Chesney to push forward and support the striker (and hopefully score a few) without having to worry too much about tracking back, as we have 3 more in midfield to cover and break up play.

Given that we have no real options up front apart from Velicka (and Nade for about 10 mins) 4-4-2 isn't really going to work IMO. Unless, that is, you want to play Clum up front, which I certainly don't!!

Makela? You must be having a laugh.

4-3-2-1 is the way forward.

Aye we've seen enough of him to know for certain he's a huddy.

Just that he seems quite capable of putting the ball in the pokey.

He's a big awkward barsteward right enough - but you can bet defenders don't like playing against him.

Give him a run for a few games - if he is actually shyyte then fair dues.

I'd have had Poppy in before him, but he's offski.

If we had another forward you rated, would you prefer 4-4-2?

It's horses for courses.

Also the formation changes during the game depending on if we are attacking, defending or the game is bogged down in the middle. On some occasions it can be 3-4-3.

With the small pitch at Tynecastle there are very few occasions when IMO we should play one up. (only at defedning corners)

We struggle with 4-5-1 because we don't have a striker with either pace or who can hold the ball up. Nor do we have any players who can play in the hole or centre of midfield who can get past the striker.

He's a big awkward barsteward right enough - but you can bet defenders don't like playing against him.

I'd certainly like to have 4-4-2 as an option.

Unfortunately none of our current strikers is up to much apart from Velicka

I'm not trying to argue we have a super striker waiting in the wings.

But sometimes it's wrong to bugger the team's shape rather than just stick an 'alright' player into the proper role.

Sitting back for 60 mins of every game is riskier than having a (possibly) poor striker running aboot doing a great deal of not very much.

If nowt else, we could try out one of our youngsters...

Drylaw Hearts

If we can't sign another Striker then I would go for 4-5-1 with Larry playing in the hole.

He is our most creative player, he can have a dig at goal and he won't have to track back too much.

Its a role that is probably well suited for him tbh.

loveofthegame

It can work but its completely dependant on 2 good wide men. With Driver and Chesny both fit and playing well i like it- otherwise no.

When Larry's back i'd love to see him slot in as our attacking central midfielder.

Midfield of:

Jonsson Ruben

Larry

Chesny Driver

Bump Robbie, Jose, Karipidis and Driver and we have a very good team. Like Driver, we just need better than 5 mins a game. The rest, well it is obvious.

Makela's (alleged) ?3k per league goal deal probably explains why we haven't and never will see much of him.

I'd rather play Robbie up front with Velicka (you know, so Robbie can inject some pace into our attack :rolleyes:) than persist with this sleep-inducing 4-5-1. Oh for the days of Doddie or JJ and their (proper) 4-3-3 formations.

Rangers are top of the table playing 4-5-1.

Our best verses theirs:

McGregor v Banks.........

Hutton, Whittaker v Neilson, Goncalves.........

Weir, Cuellar v Karapidis, Berra..........

Ferguson, Adam, Hemdani v Ruben, Kingston, Jonnson.........

Burke, Naismith v Driver, Cesnauskas...............

Darcheville v Velicka...............

We are not that far away from being as good as them.

Thig Ar Latha

4-5-1 can work well with the right balance and personnel. It worked great for us a couple of years ago when we put 4 past Hibs at Tynie, but it does'nt work so well now because the midfield balance is not right IMO. The difference now is that we no longer have Hartley in our Team. The timing of the runs he made into the box made him ideal for that system and it amazes me that Celtic don't utilise him in this manner. (Not that I care what Celtic do)

Therefore, if Hearts persist with the 3-5-1 system, and I don't think we should, Hearts should be looking for an experienced attacking midfielder until young Branny and co are ready for the breakthrough.

I cant understand people dislike for Miko on here! He has the ability to beat a man and just has a little bit of continental class about him.

For example against Hibs in the final moments he wins the ball at the edge of the box and dribbles away. If that was robbie for example it would have been hoofed and right back on top of the deffence.

He needs to stay in my opinion as him and chesny are the best option on either flank.

:balmoral:

I cant understand people dislike for Miko on here! He has the ability to beat a man and just has a little bit of continental class about him.

For example against Hibs in the final moments he wins the ball at the edge of the box and dribbles away. If that was robbie for example it would have been hoofed and right back on top of the deffence.

He needs to stay in my opinion as him and chesny are the best option on either flank.

He is mince get rid.

Why is everyone so down on Makela?

Correct me if I'm wrong but has he ever featured for more than two games on the bounce?

Of course, is inability to cement a place in the side would normally be evidence that he is, indeed, a bumbling huddy.

But then it doesn't really work like that at Tynecastle, does it?

I aint no Miko fan but Driver has to be rested and Miko does play best when with Chesney. I'd start him tonight.

Makela is as a bad a signing as Kingston is good.

Whichever scouts found Makela, Vlad should punt. The one that found Ruben and Kingston he should keep.

Archived