Would you prefer a foreign coach or British.

bigmeg

As it says. If we get a new manager in would you like him to be foreign. Personally I would. I think our last two foreign coaches were decent. We all know about Sergio but Csaba wasn't a disaster for us by any means and won manager of he year iirc. He also got some good results against the old firm. Hats your thoughts then. British or foreign.

Without knowing their skills or experience, I would say foreign or not Scottish or from the same old faces. Mainly because they may have new ideas and less likely to fear Celtic an been brought up to accept losing to them and finishing behind them is what should happen.

However, I want the best person for the job, and if he does happen to be British, then fine.

Jambos_1874

My preference would be a Scottish manager as they will already be familiar with the club and will also be fully aware of the restrictions we're working under. I also think that all the young Scottish players coming through at Hearts would maybe respond better to a Scottish manager.

Ultimately I don't care where they are from though as long as they put out a winning team.

Guest Bilel Mohsni

It won't make a huge difference to me. As long as they get results. Someone with a bit of passion and guile would be nice.

Howdy Doody Jambo

I think it will be Lockie untill the end of the season to save a wage , but id go for a Brit if otherwise

Guest Dipped Flake

title should be foreign or Scottish I suppose as English/Welsh/N.Irish are foreign to our league.

Anyway, I don't really care as long as they are good for the club. As we have no money though I presume it will be a Scot and, as much as I would like to see Robbo back at the club I think my favourite choice would be Paul Hartley.

If it has to be Scottish and former Hearts player, I probably would go for Levein

If it has to be a British and a former Heats player, I may go for Adrian Boothroyd, though he is under contract.

As I said though, it depends on the qualities and experience of the candidates. All things being equal, I would go foreign for the reasons I said above, though Boothyroyd may bring some of that.

Perhaps Takis, if we are sticking to ex Hearts players again?

Although it is me who has mentioned it, for me it is not a necessity and can be a hinderence.

Outside Hearts connections like Robbo, Hartley, Cameron or Lockie

My option would be in an ideal world McIness or Coyle. and to stick with a British coach, who knows the SPL and someone the young team can look up to

Walter Bishop

It has to be someone not to interested in a wage but with a massive point to prove. Someone who has made their money already and so late wages etc wont derail them but wants to show everyone they are still a good manager.

Personally I'd love to see Coyle, but Mcinnes may also be a good shout. Houston and levein can gtf.

Takeshi's Tynecastle

I don't think nationality has anything to do with it. The important things are ability, affordability, ambition and an acceptance of the way the club is currently being run. Tick all those boxes and you've got your man.

Chris Benoit

I don't think nationality has anything to do with it. The important things are ability, affordability, ambition and an acceptance of the way the club is currently being run. Tick all those boxes and you've got your man.

:spoton:

My preference would be a Scottish manager as they will already be familiar with the club and will also be fully aware of the restrictions we're working under. I also think that all the young Scottish players coming through at Hearts would maybe respond better to a Scottish manager.

Ultimately I don't care where they are from though as long as they put out a winning team.

This is my view as well. This is not a job that can be given to someone without any Hearts connections or clear understanding of our circumstances. The job is not just about putting a team on the park but also offloading players and dealing with the financial and ownership issues. The successful candidate also needs to be "bullet proof" when it comes to getting stick from the fans, because we are a demanding lot as McGlynn found out.

Hartley for me....maybe Houston or McInnes at a stretch.

Pressley for me. Scottish, ex-cup winning captain, gets young guys playing a good standard of football and Hearts are a club where he could build a team and not sell his best every year.

Unpopular on JKB but his ideas are fresh, match the club's plans on development and he isnt a fan of the SFA.

Chris Benoit

Pressley for me. Scottish, ex-cup winning captain, gets young guys playing a good standard of football and Hearts are a club where he could build a team and not sell his best every year.

Unpopular on JKB but his ideas are fresh, match the club's plans on development and he isnt a fan of the SFA.

Shite manager though

Shite manager though

Not that it'll matter. He wouldnt sign until we have new ownership.

The nationality doesn't matter as long as he can speak english and is better than mcglynn.

GuitarJambo

as long as we get someone in who can motivate the players and get the results I dont care where theyre from, only problem is that if theyre coming in now they need to be familiar with the players and the league to be able to make an impact.

would love to see paulo back if we get new owners and he gets some cash to play with, cant see it happening though.

Dr. Sheldon Cooper

We just need someone to come and make a difference as quickly as possible, but you don't want someone coming in and taking a few weeks to familiarise himself with the club and his surroundings. A Scottish manager would probably know more about the circumstances at the club so would settle in quicker but the one thing I've noticed about the foreign managers we've had is that they've had no fear of the Old Firm and we've normally got better results against Celtic/Rangers in the seasons we've had a foreign boss at the helm.

Victor Meldrew

I'd prefer a foreign manager - the Scottish ones always seem to be prepared to play second fiddle to Rangers and Celtic and talk about being the 'Third Force'

Both of our last trophies were won by foreign managers ;-)

Romanov Stole My Pension

The nationality doesn't matter as long as he can speak english and is better than mcglynn.

Any idea how Nevio Scala's English lessons are coming along?

I want Paul Hartley. But I don't really care about their nationality.

Don't mind as long as can get results. Good managers seem to have a team eg Mjalby etc with Lennon and with big teams /squads makes sense.

Would Paul Hartley for example bring someone else to help?

Locke should be given a chance and both these options would have fans backing wherby being 'local' / ex player helps club be local, nearer fans.

But at end of day results are everything.

glastonbury jambo

id rather it was robbo at this point in hearts history , we need a hearts man ....defo not peter houston {see profile avatar to the left}

Franklin Delano Bluth

Don't want a foreigner. He'll stink out the dug out with his dirty foreign smell.

Am I doing it right?

With this thread, and the Taouil thread, the Edinburgh BNP contingent are out in force today, eh?

Sent from my HTC One X using Tapatalk 2

Troon Jambo

It's about time in Scotland that we finally got away from making Coaches, Managers, Directirs of Football and beyond soley out of ex players. It's time to begin installing personnel based on capabilities, knowledge and expertise based on the job they are being asked to perform. Too often someone is hired and must learn the job after being installed in a position. We need an intelligent manager. Someone who understands the strengths and weaknesses of a squad, the most efficient way to play those players and obtain required results. Simply a team must perform above the sum of its parts for a manager to be successful. So often we fail terribly on that front. The manager must also be smart with media and continue to fill the sports pages with positive news from Hearts which always helps support. With the supporters he must be astute, gain their support and get them behind the team. He must put together a back room staff that will make use of the best available technology to improve fitness, skills, team moral and even football intelligence. He must realize the need to develop several million pound players. Some will be sold, some will bring us success on the field. Not for foreseeable future will we be a spending club so anyone thinking that simply lacks the nous for the job. We as fans keep looking to bring in guys like Hartley or Cameron who may or may not succeed but sadly lack the experience and managerial stature to take on what is a massive task ahead. Not to say that they won't one day get there. The movie Moneyball about the Oakland As has many parallels to what I am talking about and we need both the Brad Pitt character and the wee geeky sidekick who can find us the best players for our specific needs. I am sure many among you didn't read down as far as this but for me, Owen Coyle is the man. Thoughts on above?

Troon Jambo

With all that said it would be more likey a foreign coach would have been schooled in a club where that is the way of thinking.

WeeToonJambo

This is my view as well. This is not a job that can be given to someone without any Hearts connections or clear understanding of our circumstances. The job is not just about putting a team on the park but also offloading players and dealing with the financial and ownership issues. The successful candidate also needs to be "bullet proof" when it comes to getting stick from the fans, because we are a demanding lot as McGlynn found out.

Hartley for me....maybe Houston or McInnes at a stretch.

Hartley doesn't have the required certificates to manage in the SPL and neither does Cameron so both of those can be discounted. Apparently David Southern was in England yesterday and had a meeting with Phil Brown.

Tiberius Stinkfinger

We need someone who plays 4-4-2 in one half and 4-5-1 in the other. Someone who doesn't care about winning any football matches except against the Vermin and who must deliver the SC every season or at least every second season.

Singing the Hearts song in the dugout at home games would be a good plus and be a dab hand in kitchen with the buttery base has to fit into the list of criteria.

He must also be a gid Hearts man who suits an M&S cardigan as far as I'm concerned.

I hope the search doesn't take to long.

If as reported 50+ applicants so far I am sure it will not be anyone with a Hearts connection ie Locke Levein Houston Hartley Cameron

Think the board will go for experience - plenty Managers needing a job at present - so someone would be prepared to take until the end of the season

Hartley doesn't have the required certificates to manage in the SPL and neither does Cameron so both of those can be discounted. Apparently David Southern was in England yesterday and had a meeting with Phil Brown.

There is something about Phil Brown I detest.

jamboinglasgow

To me it doesn't matter the nationality of the manager. What I would want is a manager who knows how to bring through youngsters and get the best out of them, has a tactical mind and likes to attack. Should also be a more modern coaching so embraces and utlises Sport science and sports psychology to get the best out of the players. And if it is not too much be charismatic and look good in a suit.

Now to me it is more likely to gain this from a overseas coach (my prefence would be German, they are normally quite forward thinking and play a game which utilises a physical side with technical ability.) Thats not to say there isn't Scottish coaches who do this, Jackie McNamara was signed by Dundee United because they felt he was the kind of manager.

Don't want a foreigner. He'll stink out the dug out with his dirty foreign smell.

Am I doing it right?

With this thread, and the Taouil thread, the Edinburgh BNP contingent are out in force today, eh?

Sent from my HTC One X using Tapatalk 2

I can assure you yang guang that this post was in no way meant to be bnp minded. I'm still trying to work out how it come across that way. Get this message though loud and clear.....you are a helmet.

Gene Parmesan

I'm not in the "must speak English" camp but I do think our new man is going to have be an exceptional communicator, because the team we have require a huge amount of guidance.

Confusion or mixed messages will destroy us.

I'm not in the "must speak English" camp but I do think our new man is going to have be an exceptional communicator, because the team we have require a huge amount of guidance.

Confusion or mixed messages will destroy us.

What you need to ask is if another team was drawing up a short list who would be on it?

Would Cameron, Hartley, Pressley, Robbo be on it?

King Of The Cat Cafe

'arry Redknapp should be available after QPR go down from the EPL...

But then; do we want somene associated with a club with the word Rangers in its title? :dizzy2: :dizzy2: :dizzy2:

But seriously; we need somone who realises that there is little Premier about the football played in the SPL and who is prepared to work with a squad with modest talent - and little money available to improve it.

Fermit the Krog

What you need to ask is if another team was drawing up a short list who would be on it?

Would Cameron, Hartley, Pressley, Robbo be on it?

Perhaps not but then I'd imagine ex players of theirs who are now in the management game would be who won't be on our list?

Tis how it works.

Franklin Delano Bluth

:jjyay:

I was only pulling your chain! Don't worry, I know you aren't BNP minded! We're all pals here though.

Helmet though. Shan.

portobellojambo1

I don't care where any new coach comes from. I imagine the interim manager will remain in place until the end of the season, as there is no point in appointing someone else now, for a new owner to come in during the Summer and have a different thought on who should manage.

I just hope that whoever it may be, and which ever nationality they may be they come in with a simple remit which says they are in charge of the first team football wise, with absolutely no interference from owners, directors of football or any other coaches. In fact I hope the first thing any incoming new owners do is to tell the present director of football to get to feck.

Fermit the Krog

I don't care where any new coach comes from. I imagine the interim manager will remain in place until the end of the season, .

I think you may be surprised. Nothing more than a hunch but I think we'll see an appointment made before cup final.

In fact I hope the first thing any incoming new owners do is to tell the present director of football to get to feck.

Been saying similar for the best part of two years now.

jamboinglasgow

Been saying similar for the best part of two years now.

Thats impressive as our DoF has only been in place for a year.

The Real Maroonblood

Someone preferably with new ideas and not from the Levein/Houston/McGlynn mould.

Is Nevo Scala still available?

Fermit the Krog

Thats impressive as our DoF has only been in place for a year.

The person. Not the role.

Fermit the Krog

fair enough. I would say the complete opposite then.

Also fair enough. You'll have your reasons as to why, as do I.

Archived