'Religious Observance' to be Stopped?

Chester™

If people wish to observe their bullshit religions then they do it in their time and not on the states.

Sometimes I wonder if you'll ever mellow on this topic, i8.

Bet that's not the only thing that was rammed down the kids' throats.

:look:

The Minister that came to our school for assemblies etc. was a right weirdo. On the plus side we got to go round to the church every now and again for a schive.

Ours was a very nice man, who once lived on the streets with the tramps and really did not seem to be in it for himself. Yet he directly influenced my atheism despite his good intentions.

He had found some interesting stones that he had worked into some morality play or something, and, to the whole primary school assembly, plonked them on the overhead projector and then looked a wee bit crestfallen that all it displayed were several stone-shaped shadows.

That was it, as a gadget mad kid I couldn't understand how someone who professed to know so much, and said all the wisdom of the ages was in the book he talked about, couldn't figure out something as simple as an overhead projector.

Religious observance, and indeed faith schools, should be banned. (And no, no arguments about how the Catholic schools do such a great job educating - surely these teachers can teach the curriculum just as well without recourse to the bible, which widely contradicts a lot of what they are meant to be teaching).

The absolute separation of State and Church should apply to education.

Religious observance, and indeed faith schools, should be banned.

On religious observance - I don't quite get what people are talking about

I'm not that long out of School, and the closest it came was a person coming once every now and again and talking about it - there was no "worship"

As for faith schools - On what basis should they be banned?

People may disagree with the views of others - but completely eliminating them just because of that is a very dangerous road to go down.

As for faith schools - On what basis should they be banned?

People may disagree with the views of others - but completely eliminating them just because of that is a very dangerous road to go down.

I suspect you have misinterpreted what Lionel Logue was getting at. I read it as state funding for faith schools, rather than faith schools per se.

Horatio Caine

Religious Education and Religious Observance are not the same thing.

Religious Ed looks at all world religions and is often taught by atheists. It is an educational discipline. It is integral to the study of history and also to societal trends.

Religious Observance is NOT holding a service, singing hymns or even saying prayers. It does NOT follow one particular religion but is a time for reflection and quiet in what can often be a very busy school calendar.

HMIe state that schools ought to hold religious observance 6 times per year as it is seen as helping build the whole person.

I don't see anything wrong with that.

Religious Education and Religious Observance are not the same thing.

Religious Ed looks at all world religions and is often taught by atheists. It is an educational discipline. It is integral to the study of history and also to societal trends.

Religious Observance is NOT holding a service, singing hymns or even saying prayers. It does NOT follow one particular religion but is a time for reflection and quiet in what can often be a very busy school calendar.

HMIe state that schools ought to hold religious observance 6 times per year as it is seen as helping build the whole person.

So why call it religious observance then?

Correct. And teachers often appreciate the local minister leading this time.

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk 2

Except it does on all counts. I cant remember the last time I heard of the local Imam holding a service in school.

They do sing hymns in schools like. Which is worship.

You make it sound like the worst thing a child could be invited to do.

Considering the contribution of the Christian church to Scottish Education over the centuries you would think folk would be a bit more appreciative, but there you go.

Considering the contribution of the Christian church to Scottish Education over the centuries you would think folk would be a bit more appreciative, but there you go.

Unbelievable. Really?

Unbending subservience as way of thanks?

Yes Scott, but if you have strong beliefs that are different from that of the COS, then why would you want to be a part of worship that perhaps conflicts with your own? Why should one church gain exclusivity in schools aside from all other faiths?

Unbelievable. Really?

Unbending subservience as way of thanks?

No just a bit more respect.

So asking that your kids aren't subjected to a form of worship that you disagree with isn't being respectful.

:rolleyes:

you're a loon. not your faith. you.

Archived