Zaliukas v Pressley

Jambo-Chappy

• Replies 378
  • Created
  • Last Reply

In terms of ability I would put Marius Zaliukas, Andy Webster, Jose Goncalves, Kevin Mckenna, Christos Karipidis, Paul Ritchie all in front of Pressley and that's just off the top of my head.

2536816_o.gif

Webster is still a judas.

He has played decent without any injuries for a solid two years, hence why he is being given a reprieve while he is at the club.

Absolutely horrendous argument. Go home and start again. He's been given a "reprieve" because he is a good player and people recognise that. He's called stroller for a reason, he's a class act.

Football is a fickle game. Anybody not currently in our colours is considered a ^^^^ but as soon as they come back all is forgiven. Even one day when Romanov leaves all the pro-Romanov fan boys will giving it big licks on here "I always said Vlad was bad news, glad to see the back of him" etc.

Mr Romanov Saviour of HMFC

Absolute ridiculous comment.

It's things like this that leave me wondering why I bother to log in to Kickback these days.

If you can't handle another opinion then maybe it's not for you.

Or do you want me to beg you to stay and agree with every view you hold?

Pressley struggled with the basics such as first touch and passing to a Hearts jersey. Have we slumped that low that we are to big up poor footballers who have passion? He had plenty passion I'll give him that.

I think NatCurr was about 11 when Pressley left tbf, so it's not like he would ken anyway.

What's my age got to do with anything? Pressley was the player that youngsters would look up to.

In terms of ability I would put Marius Zaliukas, Andy Webster, Jose Goncalves, Kevin Mckenna, Christos Karipidis, Paul Ritchie all in front of Pressley and that's just off the top of my head.

Is that a bid for the worst opinion in the history of recorded thought?

Absolutely horrendous argument. Go home and start again. He's been given a "reprieve" because he is a good player and people recognise that. He's called stroller for a reason, he's a class act.

Football is a fickle game. Anybody not currently in our colours is considered a ^^^^ but as soon as they come back all is forgiven. Even one day when Romanov leaves all the pro-Romanov fan boys will giving it big licks on here "I always said Vlad was bad news, glad to see the back of him" etc.

Sorry, you seem to assume I don't think Webster is a ^^^^ because he is in our colours?

What has Romanov got to do with anything? Strange boy.

What's my age got to do with anything? Pressley was the player that youngsters would look up to.

That doesn't put him ahead of Zal though.

Gary Mackay was a player held in high esteem by youngsters (I have never particularly liked the man or the player fwiw). That doesn't answer the question of who was the better player.

Tbh, anyone who picks Pressley (as adequate as he was) ahead of Zaliukas just mystifies me tbh.

Webster has redeemed himself in my book. Never thought i'd say that after the way he'd been. Pressley on the other hand will never be forgiven. A scaley skinned mistake of a man.

Jesus Shuttlesworth

That's just made up to suit yourself. Pressley played his part in massive wins over France & Holland. His performance in Bordeaux is the best I've ever seen from a Hearts defender.

Am I also right in saying he captained Celtic to the Last 16 of the Champions League?

McManus was Celtic's captain. Pressley was only captain against us.

portobellojambo1

Been fortunate enough to witness a multitude of good and very good central defenders in my years following HMFC. While I know there are some I'll miss in this list names that do come to mind are the likes of David Weir, Paul Ritchie, Alan McLaren, Craig Levein, Dave McPherson, Brian Whittaker, Steven Pressley, Andy Webster, Ibrahim Tall, Christos Karipidis, Marius Zaliukas amongst others.

I do think Marius Zaliukas has improved considerably over the last couple of seasons but the pair I have been most comfortable with in central defence were Steven Pressley and Andy Webster (would have liked to have experienced a central defensive pairing of Alan McLaren and Craig Levein long term, as to me both were super defenders but maybe just a little too similar in the type of job they did).

Over the years I have been following HMFC central defence and in goal have been positions we seem to have managed to fill well, in general, for some reason.

McManus was Celtic's captain. Pressley was only captain against us.

Well he wasn't captain but he played his part.

I didn't go. Him being the reason why.

The crowd was about 5k iirc and largely made up of little girls and arseholes. Don't go taking that as how the genuine Heart of Midlothian fans feel about him.

For that - see his banner.

A crowd just short of 8,000 gave him "an almost universal heroes welcome."

But forget that, they were all wee lassies and arseholes.

Better to guage feeling by one classy gent with a lighter.

I like sharing opinions on here, sensible ones of course but folk come on and slate a cup-winning captain for one daft incident while completely forgetting the previous 9 years are the ones that need to take a look at themself.

Anyway, on the Pressley/Zaliukas debate, my personal opinion is that Zal, who has in fairness improved (notably since the arrival of Webster if we're being honest) but he still wouldn't make it into my top 6 defenders of the last 30 years or so. He's behind (in no particular order) the likes of Levein, McLaren, Weir (D), Pressley, Webster, Jardine, Bruno, even Ritchie. I'd say he was around the Alan McManus/Willie Jamieson level but thats after watching Hearts for 30 years and comparing players. He certainly has improved but if another club thought he could do them a turn, he would've been off long before now, that was Romanov's idea when he came here, bring in Lithuanians and sell them on, it rarely did. Someone else said that Pressley's level was Hearts, well, is that so bad? He had played for Rangers, Celtic and Scotland, Zal hasn't or wouldn't even be considered to play for the ugly sisters. Still like Zal though.

That wasn't bad until I snorted out loud at "Bruno, even Ritchie", and completely lost my shit at "McManus/Jamieson level"

Because wee laddies can't look at a game objectively. I hear them havering biased pish about football every day. Even now, you're mad keen on a bit of bias towards a Scottish centre back and give MOTM to Webster or Barr every week, you must have been hefty biased back then :lol:

Teuchterjambo

Someone gonna tell me what Pressley (as a player) was better at than Zal?

Other than falling over, trying to win a free kick near his own box of course.

We all know (deep down for some) that Zal is ten times the man that he is and as captain in our greatest EVER victory, Zal takes that as well, so if we can clear up what he was better at as a player - that would be great, thanks.

How arrogant can you get ? ....you feel compelled to tell us all that deep down all our opinions must be the same as yours. I could pick holes in most of your assertions but see little point as you obviously fail to take account of anyone else's opinion as you know how we all feel. Stroll on fella.

For what it's worth and before you feel the need to give us all another lecture I certainly am not criticising Zal. I believe that from a very poor start he has improved year on year to the point that over the last 12-18 months he has been outstanding as a player and his leadership qualities have shone through. I will be very disappointed to see him go as I believe his partnership with Webster is the best pairing in the country.

Despite all that I think that Pressley performed at a similar level over a longer period and that tips the balance in his favour for me, would Zal have continued to perform at the level, probably yes but unfortunately don't think it will be at Hearts so when all this personal petty squabling dies down in the years to come then Pressley will just win it for me. Like most others I wasn't happy about the chest thumping and I'm sure he genuinely regrets it and it is a great pity that people allow that to cloud their judgement on a very good player who showed outstanding leadership at the time when the club were crying out for leadership. The three outstanding Scottish Hearts players of their generation made a courageous if ultimately futile stand and only one gets pilloried for it and that because of a moment of personal madness in a Celtic jersey. Time will erase that moment and time will forgive him whether his detractors now like it or not their opinions about the chest thumping will not be recorded in the history books so people beter get used to it.

Two excellent Hearts players and captains now go and untwist your knickers and appreciate them both.

That doesn't put him ahead of Zal though.

Gary Mackay was a player held in high esteem by youngsters (I have never particularly liked the man or the player fwiw). That doesn't answer the question of who was the better player.

Tbh, anyone who picks Pressley (as adequate as he was) ahead of Zaliukas just mystifies me tbh.

I believe Pressley was a better captain and player than Zaliukas.

But I don't see why we have to argue about it. We were very, very lucky to have them both and they both captained us to a Scottish Cup trophy.

Malcolm Tucker

Pressley was a great leader, but in the end it became apparent he was a dick of a man.

Also, whoever said Pressley thumped the badge in front of Celtic fans only is wrong. And not a chance in hell he was doing it to get the Celtic fans on his side, you're bending truths to suit your own agenda. A small gesture? Steven Pressley was one of my biggest heroes, and then he turns round and takes a massive shite on the club. Disgusting.

Zaliukas wins this battle. The likes of Tapping, McHattie and Mullen have all cited him as being a great player to be alongside along with Webster for helping them through, and he's a Hearts man on and off the pitch. We play so much better when he plays.

Team Zal for me.

When Pressley didn't play you dreaded the game. He kept the the team together. That is a fact !

Zal got the tag "bombscare" for a reason.

Better player ?? Pressley by a country mile.

Better captain ?? Pressley by a country mile.

Person I'd rather have a pint with ?? Zal by a country mile.

Spot on mate.

Anybody who says Pressley was a rubbish footballer is making themselves look like a complete throbber imo.

If you want to be upset about his chest thumping, fair enough. But you can't use it to rewrite his on-field achievements as a player for us.

Is that a bid for the worst opinion in the history of recorded thought?

Surely a fair opinion, no? Presley is definitely no further ahead of any of these guys in terms of footballing ability. He was a typical blood and thunder Scottish centre half who was good at what he did but that was it.

Almost all of the other players named were capable of performing at a decent level outwith their primary position. Presley was consistently shite anywhere except CB throughout his first few seasons. A sign of someone who is technically not a great player.

Because wee laddies can't look at a game objectively. I hear them havering biased pish about football every day. Even now, you're mad keen on a bit of bias towards a Scottish centre back and give MOTM to Webster or Barr every week, you must have been hefty biased back then :lol:

What are you on about?

So what you're saying is that I give Webster or Barr MotM because they're Scottish? Funny.

I actually think, in a dreadful season, Zaliukas has been one of the only good things. By a mile our POTY so far.

He's still not as good as Pressley.

By played his part you mean 19 appearances in all competitions over 2 years. I'm sure the chest thumping was worth it.

Malcolm Tucker

He rarely played, and every Celtic fan I know hates him.

I believe Pressley was a better captain and player than Zaliukas.

But I don't see why we have to argue about it. We were very, very lucky to have them both and they both captained us to a Scottish Cup trophy.

You know me Nat, I'm a lover & not a fighter.

But tonight I want to give you a wee slap around your dish.

:lol:

It's all down to opinions I suppose.

But Zal just gives me everything I want from a Hearts captain.

Everything.

Sorry, you seem to assume I don't think Webster is a ^^^^ because he is in our colours?

What has Romanov got to do with anything? Strange boy.

Clearly my point went way over your head, it's not about Romanov, he was an example used to make my point you absolute zoomer.

Surely a fair opinion, no? Presley is definitely no further ahead of any of these guys in terms of footballing ability. He was a typical blood and thunder Scottish centre half who was good at what he did but that was it.

Almost all of the other players named were capable of performing at a decent level outwith their primary position. Presley was consistently shite anywhere except CB throughout his first few seasons. A sign of someone who is technically not a great player.

No, a terrible opinion if it isn't just trolling. Pressley was a gash right back but read the game brilliantly, was an excellent defender, far better at bringing the ball out from the back than he's clearly getting credit for here and was a far better player for us than most of them.

The pro snake brigade are very aggressive and abusive with their views while the pro Zaliukas camp are classy and respectful at all times.

Kind of sums it up. :)

You know me Nat, I'm a lover & not a fighter.

But tonight I want to give you a wee slap around your dish.

It's all down to opinions I suppose.

But Zal just gives me everything I want from a Hearts captain.

Everything.

You're still my favorite, Craig.

:sob:

That wasn't bad until I snorted out loud at "Bruno, even Ritchie", and completely lost my shit at "McManus/Jamieson level"

He has the cheek to slate other folks opinions then puts a 'cup winning legend' Zaliukas at the same level as 'ex hibee but once scored a peach against celtic' Willie ******* Jamieson!

No half some ****nuggets on here :(

How arrogant can you get ? ....you feel compelled to tell us all that deep down all our opinions must be the same as yours. I could pick holes in most of your assertions but see little point as you obviously fail to take account of anyone else's opinion as you know how we all feel. Stroll on fella.

For what it's worth and before you feel the need to give us all another lecture I certainly am not criticising Zal. I believe that from a very poor start he has improved year on year to the point that over the last 12-18 months he has been outstanding as a player and his leadership qualities have shone through. I will be very disappointed to see him go as I believe his partnership with Webster is the best pairing in the country.

Despite all that I think that Pressley performed at a similar level over a longer period and that tips the balance in his favour for me, would Zal have continued to perform at the level, probably yes but unfortunately don't think it will be at Hearts so when all this personal petty squabling dies down in the years to come then Pressley will just win it for me. Like most others I wasn't happy about the chest thumping and I'm sure he genuinely regrets it and it is a great pity that people allow that to cloud their judgement on a very good player who showed outstanding leadership at the time when the club were crying out for leadership. The three outstanding Scottish Hearts players of their generation made a courageous if ultimately futile stand and only one gets pilloried for it and that because of a moment of personal madness in a Celtic jersey. Time will erase that moment and time will forgive him whether his detractors now like it or not their opinions about the chest thumping will not be recorded in the history books so people beter get used to it.

Two excellent Hearts players and captains now go and untwist your knickers and appreciate them both.

Well done on attempting to bring some much-needed sanity to the mad-house!! ;-)

To me it's quite telling that the 'Pro-Pressley' camp are quite rational about things, and whilst show a preference to their man, they are still polite and complimentary towards our current captain.

The 'Pro-Zal' camp, however, are showing rather irrational behaviour and are attempting to hugely belittle a player that gave years of excellent service to our club.........basically because of a silly 5-second act after he left the club in sour circumstances.

Hugely disrespectful.

What are you on about?

So what you're saying is that I give Webster or Barr MotM because they're Scottish? Funny.

I actually think, in a dreadful season, Zaliukas has been one of the only good things. By a mile our POTY so far.

He's still not as good as Pressley.

Dinnae get all precious and think I'm saying you're a racist or that :lol: There's nothing wrong with having your favourites, but you most certainly have your favourites.

Pressley was not a better footballer than Zaliukas, and as a captain has been overtaken in the last 18 months. Sure, he won the Cup as captain, but then, Zaliukas captained us to the Cup with lesser players, was MOTM in at least 3 of the matches en route and cried tears of joy as he lifted it, having been imperious in the greatest game in club history. Pressley drew attention to divisions in the squad under his captaincy, Zaliukas held the team together when they weren't getting paid. It's no contest on any level, not anymore.

No, a terrible opinion if it isn't just trolling. Pressley was a gash right back but read the game brilliantly, was an excellent defender, far better at bringing the ball out from the back than he's clearly getting credit for here and was a far better player for us than most of them.

Pressley stylised the Levein management era - play exactly what's in front of you and safety first.

Such a shame Levein has never translated his play as a player into his management style.

Well done on attempting to bring some much-needed sanity to the mad-house!! ;-)

To me it's quite telling that the 'Pro-Pressley' camp are quite rational about things, and whilst show a preference to their man, they are still polite and complimentary towards our current captain.

The 'Pro-Zal' camp, however, are showing rather irrational behaviour and are attempting to hugely belittle a player that gave years of excellent service to our club.........basically because of a silly 5-second act after he left the club in sour circumstances.

Hugely disrespectful.

You kidding?

For "disrespectful" see most of your posts on this thread.

Despite being utterly shite for 9 years in a Hearts jersey, he had an English Premiership team, 3 Championship teams and an Old Firm team desperate to sign him as soon as we released him.

Pish player.

Dinnae get all precious and think I'm saying you're a racist or that :lol: There's nothing wrong with having your favourites, but you most certainly have your favourites.

Pressley was not a better footballer than Zaliukas, and as a captain has been overtaken in the last 18 months. Sure, he won the Cup as captain, but then, Zaliukas captained us to the Cup with lesser players, was MOTM in at least 3 of the matches en route and cried tears of joy as he lifted it, having been imperious in the greatest game in club history. Pressley drew attention to divisions in the squad under his captaincy, Zaliukas held the team together when they weren't getting paid. It's no contest on any level, not anymore.

As a captain and leader, Zaliukas pumped money into the club through shares and taking time out of his life to attend auctions and bid large amounts of money for his own top.

Pressley realised he was no longer first pick and decided to split the men he captained from the men who paid his wages.

There is no contest.

He rarely played, and every Celtic fan I know hates him.

Shat on Hearts to curry favour with a shower of lowlifes who still ended up hating him!

LEGEND!

07.png

You're still my favorite, Craig.

:sob:

I know pal. :lol: Fellow Oxgangs boys and that.

But listen to this guy...........

As much as he's a bellend, he's nailed my thoughts on the matter.

Now go and hug yer Elvis wig (circa 06)

We're living in the present.

:greggyfest:

Malcolm Tucker

Tommy there, bombing the shit out of this thread with some heavy truth-artillery.

Not a contest.

Despite being utterly shite for 9 years in a Hearts jersey, he had an English Premiership team, 3 Championship teams and an Old Firm team desperate to sign him as soon as we released him.

Pish player.

:what: He played a handful of games for Celtic due to his "leadership" qualities before having to kick about a relegation fodder Norwegian team as he couldn't find another club.

Tommy there, bombing the shit out of this thread with some heavy truth-artillery.

Not a contest.

Who needs the truth when you've got "Jesus wept"?

You kidding?

For "disrespectful" see most of your posts on this thread.

Time to put your personal obsession with myself to one side, Jabba. Let it slide......

So to sum up.

'Pro-Pressley brigade':

'Zal is very good but I think Pressley was better'

'Pro-Zal camp':

'Zal is amazing and PRESSLEY WAS SHIT BECAUSE HE WANTED TO LEAVE US AND SIGNED FOR CELTIC'

Pressley stylised the Levein management era - play exactly what's in front of you and safety first.

Such a shame Levein has never translated his play as a player into his management style.

Drastically undersells how good he was. He fitted in like a glove with Burley's team as well. And when he played beside Webster, Pressley was the one, as Zal is, who took the responsibility to bring the ball out from the back. You might remember he was also an excellent penalty taker.

Some, certainly not all, of those players had more technical ability on the ball, none of them bar maybe Webster were better in their position. Which is the primary concern. Jason Holt has more ability than Zal, but he'd be a gash centre half.

I know pal. :lol: Fellow Oxgangs boys and that.

But listen to this guy...........

As much as he's a bellend, he's nailed my thoughts on the matter.

Now go and hug yer Elvis wig (circa 06)

We're living in the present.

:greggyfest:

Who's a bellend? :muggy:

Malcolm Tucker

Pish player.

... no, he had Charlton. Charlton and Celtic wanted him. Wouldn't describe either as desperate, just wanted an experienced squad player.

He went on to choose Celtic and fling his fingers up at our football club.

Pish human being.

To clarify:

Better defender - Pressley

Better footballer - Zaliukas

Better captain - Pressley (just)

Better bloke - Zaliukas

I'm going tostep back now and watch the seethers do their thing. :curtain:

98 cup winners

Elvis is a far superior player No26 was OK.

yes i think elvis was a better player but only just , but zal is a far superior person , man and leader end of story ,

Archived