Zaliukas v Pressley

Jambo-Chappy

Nailed it.

A far, far too sensible a post for here!!!

The amount of dafties on here nowadays is precicely the reason i rarely come on anymore, it's just an excuse for folk to start arguing for nothing, something to keep the keyboard hardmen occupied for a while. Anyway, going by previous Pressly posts, the mods'll close it down soon enough.

• Replies 378
  • Created
  • Last Reply
telford_jambo84

Zal has shown that he loves hearts and is a fan. Considering what has gone on in relation to wages etc, he has never once gone crying to the media and get his pals who don't want to be there to back him up. He has got on with it.

In terms of ability I would put Marius Zaliukas, Andy Webster, Jose Goncalves, Kevin Mckenna, Christos Karipidis, Paul Ritchie all in front of Pressley and that's just off the top of my head.

In terms of ability I would put Marius Zaliukas, Andy Webster, Jose Goncalves, Kevin Mckenna, Christos Karipidis, Paul Ritchie all in front of Pressley and that's just off the top off my head.

Jesus wept.......

The amount of dafties on here nowadays is precicely the reason i rarely come on anymore, it's just an excuse for folk to start arguing for nothing, something to keep the keyboard hardmen occupied for a while. Anyway, going by previous Pressly posts, the mods'll close it down soon enough.

If you can't handle other peoples opinions then don't come on this board. You won't be missed.

In terms of ability I would put Marius Zaliukas, Andy Webster, Jose Goncalves, Kevin Mckenna, Christos Karipidis, Paul Ritchie all in front of Pressley and that's just off the top of my head.

Christ :lol:

Fermit the Krog

Someone gonna tell me what Pressley (as a player) was better at than Zal?

Other than falling over, trying to win a free kick near his own box of course.

We all know (deep down for some) that Zal is ten times the man that he is and as captain in our greatest EVER victory, Zal takes that as well, so if we can clear up what he was better at as a player - that would be great, thanks.

Nah?

Kl.

:cornette:

If you can't handle other peoples opinions then don't come on this board. You won't be missed.

Again......Jesus wept...

Mr Romanov Saviour of HMFC

Jesus wept.......

Christ :lol:

:cornette:

Who out of that group would you have him ahead of?

They are all very good players.

Pressley was your typical hammer thrower Scottish player, the sort of player that is the reason we are a joke internationally.

You might want to pull up all the players mentioned CV's and pull up Pressleys. If Pressley was good enough to play for a bigger club than Hearts then he wouldn't have hesitated in being offski. His level was as a Hearts no4 and it suited his ego to style himself as "Mr Hearts". He has always been "Mr Pressley".

1 final thing.

See Paul Hartleys return to Tynecastle for how a former employee should behave towards the Heart of Midlothian support whilst wearing the demon hoops.

Pressley could have done all you have said AND shown respect towards the Hearts support - He never. His bed, **** him.

Yes, i agree to an extent, the difference was Celtic fans liked Hartley, he was a Celtic fan afterall and they wanted him there but he still has an affection for Hearts, especially after he'd been accepted by us after being a Hibs player years before. As i say, what Pressley did was a desperate attempt to be accepted by their fans, a sad way of doing it i grant you but he did it, that same year he came back from a Celtic game to make an appearance in Robbie Neilson's testimonial. If he diliked Hearts that much as some would suggest on here then i doubt he would've came along for it. Interestingly, he wasn't booed when he came on as sub by the crowd, apart from a few folk that suffer fron memory-loss syndrome.

Who out of that group would you have him ahead of?

They are all very good players.

Pressley was your typical hammer thrower Scottish player, the sort of player that is the reason we are a joke internationally.

Out of that list? Probably only Webster.

People still holding a grudge against Pressley need to get a ******* grip.

telford_jambo84

Page 2 and not one picture of snakely thumping the celtic badge yet?

Wow.

People would demand the thread be shut down who are licking pressleys arse.

He was a solid centre back but no better than zal and a prick of a man

......and point proven, cheers.

You might want to pull up all the players mentioned CV's and pull up Pressleys. If Pressley was good enough to play for a bigger club than Hearts then he wouldn't have hesitated in being offski. His level was as a Hearts no4 and it suited his ego to style himself as "Mr Hearts". He has always been "Mr Pressley".

Honestly. Hand on heart. ..... Are u being friggin serious!?!?!!!

What on earth are you wittering about? :lol:

You're throwing the toys out the pram and banging on about keyboard hardmen because people have a different opinion from yours ffs :lol: Get your balls out your purse and man up, Christ sake :lol:

......and point proven, cheers.

Like I said, people that can't deal with others opinions are best not to use this messageboard so I'm glad to see the back of you, tbh.

Fermit the Krog

Yes, i agree to an extent, the difference was Celtic fans liked Hartley, he was a Celtic fan afterall and they wanted him there but he still has an affection for Hearts, especially after he'd been accepted by us after being a Hibs player years before. As i say, what Pressley did was a desperate attempt to be accepted by their fans, a sad way of doing it i grant you but he did it, that same year he came back from a Celtic game to make an appearance in Robbie Neilson's testimonial. If he diliked Hearts that much as some would suggest on here then i doubt he would've came along for it. Interestingly, he wasn't booed when he came on as sub by the crowd, apart from a few folk that suffer fron memory-loss syndrome.

I didn't go. Him being the reason why.

The crowd was about 5k iirc and largely made up of little girls and arseholes. Don't go taking that as how the genuine Heart of Midlothian fans feel about him.

For that - see his banner.

Out of that list? Probably only Webster.

People still holding a grudge against Pressley need to get a ******* grip.

Oh lawdy.

Fermit the Krog

I've got a lot of time for Zaliukas and love the way he has grown into the role of Heart of Midlothian Captain but anyone who thinks he is a better player or captain than Elvis is allowing other factors to cloud their judgement, or they don't know their erse from their elbow.

What was Pressley better at (as a player)?

Zaliukas seems to have grasped in just a few years what it means to be a Hearts man.

Something Pressley evidently never really got after nearly a decade at the club.

I'll go with the captain of our greatest ever derby result.

Hands down.

No contest.

Tiberius Stinkfinger

When Pressley didn't play you dreaded the game. He kept the the team together. That is a fact !

Zal got the tag "bombscare" for a reason.

Better player ?? Pressley by a country mile.

Better captain ?? Pressley by a country mile.

Person I'd rather have a pint with ?? Zal by a country mile.

I personally think that Elvis was the best captain and leader I've seen in my years watching Hearts but I think Zal is a better footballer , if I had to choose one it would probably be Zal primarily because of 19/05/12 :D

Personally I thought Pressley was the real deal, but Zal grew into the armband. Thoughts anyone ?

FFS.

Is there really any feckin need for this type o thread?

Elvis by a country mile.

Zal is a good captain and has grown in stature but nowhere near 'chest thumper!' and if the hissy fit brigade could get past that and the move to Celtic they'd agree.

But both have been great servants to our club.

Commander lovemuscle

Zal ...got to go with the commanders grandson who has run out twice with the great man as mascot twice away to st mirren, even managed to reconize him the second time around after saying to him "your my granddads favorit player

The Snake love-in and utter drooling about him being a better player is embarrassing. If Zaliukas had have been Scottish, he would quite easily have surpassed Pressley's caps total. Zaliukas would walk into the Scottish team right now ( injury aside ).

It's been fairly obvious for quite some time now that a great section of Kickback is borderline disturbed and this gets exposed to the hilt when this debate comes up. Clueless.

The anti-Pressley sentiment is cringeworthy and embarrassing. Yes, he made a **** head of himself and it's an action I have no doubt he regrets.

Remember the rage when Webster walked and eventually ended up at OldCo? Remember we all despised him because of it? Remember Vlad always cited him as being one of the many "traitors" to the cause? Take it we're all happy to cheer on Webster every week after he walked out on us? Cool, thought so.

Get over it and get over yourselves.

Yes?

You clearly believe Pressley was a good footballer so there isn't much more to say bro. I thought you wee joking but it seems you are serious.

The anti-Pressley sentiment is cringeworthy and embarrassing. Yes, he made a **** head of himself and it's an action I have no doubt he regrets.

Remember the rage when Webster walked and eventually ended up at OldCo? Remember we all despised him because of it? Remember Vlad always cited him as being one of the many "traitors" to the cause? Take it we're all happy to cheer on Webster every week after he walked out on us? Cool, thought so.

Get over it and get over yourselves.

Webster is still a judas.

He has played decent without any injuries for a solid two years, hence why he is being given a reprieve while he is at the club.

Like I said, people that can't deal with others opinions are best not to use this messageboard so I'm glad to see the back of you, tbh.

I like sharing opinions on here, sensible ones of course but folk come on and slate a cup-winning captain for one daft incident while completely forgetting the previous 9 years are the ones that need to take a look at themself.

Anyway, on the Pressley/Zaliukas debate, my personal opinion is that Zal, who has in fairness improved (notably since the arrival of Webster if we're being honest) but he still wouldn't make it into my top 6 defenders of the last 30 years or so. He's behind (in no particular order) the likes of Levein, McLaren, Weir (D), Pressley, Webster, Jardine, Bruno, even Ritchie. I'd say he was around the Alan McManus/Willie Jamieson level but thats after watching Hearts for 30 years and comparing players. He certainly has improved but if another club thought he could do them a turn, he would've been off long before now, that was Romanov's idea when he came here, bring in Lithuanians and sell them on, it rarely did. Someone else said that Pressley's level was Hearts, well, is that so bad? He had played for Rangers, Celtic and Scotland, Zal hasn't or wouldn't even be considered to play for the ugly sisters. Still like Zal though.

Webster is still a judas.

He has played decent without any injuries for a solid two years, hence why he is being given a reprieve while he is at the club.

So as soon as he leaves again he's back to being a judas *****?

Modern football fans :cornette:

I like sharing opinions on here, sensible ones of course but folk come on and slate a cup-winning captain for one daft incident while completely forgetting the previous 9 years are the ones that need to take a look at themself.

Anyway, on the Pressley/Zaliukas debate, my personal opinion is that Zal, who has in fairness improved (notably since the arrival of Webster if we're being honest) but he still wouldn't make it into my top 6 defenders of the last 30 years or so. He's behind (in no particular order) the likes of Levein, McLaren, Weir (D), Pressley, Webster, Jardine, Bruno, even Ritchie. I'd say he was around the Alan McManus/Willie Jamieson level but thats after watching Hearts for 30 years and comparing players. He certainly has improved but if another club thought he could do them a turn, he would've been off long before now, that was Romanov's idea when he came here, bring in Lithuanians and sell them on, it rarely did. Someone else said that Pressley's level was Hearts, well, is that so bad? He had played for Rangers, Celtic and Scotland, Zal hasn't or wouldn't even be considered to play for the ugly sisters. Still like Zal though.

Did you see Pressley play for Scotland? Horrific. Embarrassing at international level. Released by Rangers after being rejected as a youngster and was shown up at Celtic as out his depth.

When Pressley didn't play you dreaded the game. He kept the the team together. That is a fact !

Zal got the tag "bombscare" for a reason.

Better player ?? Pressley by a country mile.

Better captain ?? Pressley by a country mile.

Person I'd rather have a pint with ?? Zal by a country mile.

That reason being that Hearts fans are arseholes. He is proven as a positive influence on results and we suffer when he doesn't play - him not playing costs us points.

Think the OP just about has it right. Zaliukas has become part of the fabric of the club and has become a much more reliable player. He's better going forward than Pressley was but I would say less dependable at the back. Probably doesn't pose the same threat at set pieces as Pressley did. In terms of captaincy, they've both had to skipper the team under very trying circumstances. Pressley was very obviously the leader and the boss, Zal is maybe fortunate in that he has Webster beside him to help kick backsides when necessary.

You clearly believe Pressley was a good footballer so there isn't much more to say bro. I thought you wee joking but it seems you are serious.

I think NatCurr was about 11 when Pressley left tbf, so it's not like he would ken anyway.

So as soon as he leaves again he's back to being a judas *****?

Modern football fans :cornette:

As soon as he starts playing badly or has a long term injury I want him out the door. We do not owe Andrew Webster anything.

Did you see Pressley play for Scotland? Horrific. Embarrassing at international level. Released by Rangers after being rejected as a youngster and was shown up at Celtic as out his depth.

Horrific??? ...... Yet he played 32 times for his country. How was this horrific play spotted by yourself and missed by Scotland managers 32 times!?!?

Bit of advice......you're having a mare on this thread.....step away.

Pressley a far more dependable player, and a better leader to boot.

Next?

Guys lets be honest with ourself here. Steven Pressley is one of the best captain ever at HMFC. I know his chest beating carry on when he came back to Tynecastle playing for Celtic was ridiculous but he really was a tremendous captain. Like someone else mentioned, the game away to Falkirk where he scored an own goal to make it 2-0 Falkirk & Craig Gordon had already been sent off early on. He went up the park & scored a double to make it 2-2. That really did sum the man up.

I love Zal & he had been a great captain but he has made a load of mistakes that have cost us badly in games.

The boring chest-thumping incident ....AGAIN!! I'll say what i've said before years ago when this came up... Pressley was a free agent who could sign for anyone who offered him a contract at that time. Who else could've gave him a healthy contract for such a short period of time in Scotland? He was hated by Celtic fans because he had played for both Hearts and Rangers, they didn't accept him. That chest-thumping lark was done in front of their fans, not, repeat..NOT in front of Hearts fans, if he did that then he really would've been lowest of the low. It was a desperate attempt by himself to be accepted by the scroats that support that team, and possibly a slight dig at Romanov for sacking him, not a dig at Hearts fans. Anyway, he got a League winners medal while there, something he didn't get with us so i'm sure he's quite proud to have that on his mantelpiece at home. And the chest-thumping?? I was over that 10 seconds after it happened, i'd rather be reminded of the previous 9 years he was at the club and not a wee 5 second moment of desperation, thanks!

Agree with all the sentiments here. As a laddie in 1998 my heroes of youth were the likes of McCann, Cameron, Rousset and Weir etc, but in the period from there to 2006/07, Steven Pressley was Mr Hearts in my eyes. Excellent captain, still have a lot of time for the man and wish him all the best. Some guys, like Hartley, just excel and find their place at certain clubs, I reckon for him it was us, for Hartley it was us, for Skacel and Gordon it was us. These guys are all heroes, and Pressley was a stand out leader in some difficult times for us. Zaliukas is a stand out SPL player and helped the team and club through a really difficult time of it at the moment, sad he's injured and likely played his last game in maroon, a cup winning captain all the same, I still think Pressley tops it though. If Webster is captain till the end of the season I think we may see some of the leadership traits of Mr Pressley in Webster, all that time they played together must've rubbed off on him.

Hold on.

In terms of actual footballing ability people are actually choosing snakely? A typical "braveheart" centre half but could barely play football.

This in bucketloads. Typical small minded umbongos showing themselves up again.

That's just made up to suit yourself. Pressley played his part in massive wins over France & Holland. His performance in Bordeaux is the best I've ever seen from a Hearts defender.

Am I also right in saying he captained Celtic to the Last 16 of the Champions League?

Horrific??? ...... Yet he played 32 times for his country. How was this horrific play spotted by yourself and missed by Scotland managers 32 times!?!?

Bit of advice......you're having a mare on this thread.....step away.

Christophe Berra and Stephen McManus have been regulars for Scotland as well. David Weir played into his 70's.

Pressley was a terrible player.

Terrible

Absolute ridiculous comment.

It's things like this that leave me wondering why I bother to log in to Kickback these days.

As soon as he starts playing badly or has a long term injury I want him out the door. We do not owe Andrew Webster anything.

Is this how we treat DOUBLE CUP WINNING LEGENDS? :(

Archived