Zaliukas v Pressley

Jambo-Chappy

• Replies 378
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Pressley didn't really show how good a defender he was until Davie Weir left. After that he became the rock of the team, bringing on young players like Gordon & Webster for example. I distinctly remember a match against Falkirk when Gordon was sent off, Pressley also scored an own goal to make it 2-0 to them but down to 10 men he showed spirit and commitment and scored us two goals in the last few minutes, doubt many captains would've shown that determination to get forward down to 10. So Pressley for me.

telford_jambo84

Can't remember zal ever punching his chest in front on us when playing for our rivals. Anyone who chooses snakey over zal :facepalm:

ToadKiller Dog

I would say it seems Zal has the respect and is liked by his fellow team mates , where as Elvis had respect but maybe not liked by all .

Can't remember zal ever punching his chest in front on us when playing for our rivals. Anyone who chooses snakey over zal :facepalm:

ZZzzzzz!! and we're off!

Zaliukas. Quality player, respected leader, great captain, genuine club legend & all round good lad.

Pressley. None of the above. Lesser player, not respected by his peers, superficially good captain, superficial club 'legend' & a bit of an erse.

I trust this wraps things up.

Snakey couldn't lace Zaliukas's boots. Phressley is a truly repulsive, slimy character, should never be welcome at Tynecastle.

Think OP was trying to be objective and expecting all of us to judge based on both players time at Hearts.

Best to keep your petty hatreds out of it....

Zaliukas. Quality player, respected leader, great captain, genuine club legend & all round good lad.

Pressley. None of the above. Lesser player, not respected by his peers, superficially good captain, superficial club 'legend' & a bit of an erse.

I trust this wraps things up.

Says more about you than Pressley tbh....

Guys lets be honest with ourself here. Steven Pressley is one of the best captain ever at HMFC. I know his chest beating carry on when he came back to Tynecastle playing for Celtic was ridiculous but he really was a tremendous captain. Like someone else mentioned, the game away to Falkirk where he scored an own goal to make it 2-0 Falkirk & Craig Gordon had already been sent off early on. He went up the park & scored a double to make it 2-2. That really did sum the man up.

I love Zal & he had been a great captain but he has made a load of mistakes that have cost us badly in games.

Guys lets be honest with ourself here. Steven Pressley is one of the best captains ever at HMFC. I know his chest beating carry on when he came back to Tynecastle playing for Celtic was ridiculous but he really was a tremendous captain. Like someone else mentioned, the game away to Falkirk where he scored an own goal to make it 2-0 Falkirk & Craig Gordon had already been sent off early on. He went up the park & scored a double to make it 2-2. That really did sum the man up.

I love Zal & he has been a great captain but he has made a load of mistakes that have cost us badly in games.

telford_jambo84

Think OP was trying to be objective and expecting all of us to judge based on both players time at Hearts.

Best to keep your petty hatreds out of it....

:wtf: the OP asked for my thoughts and I provided them. Now you can untangle your knickers....

Zaliukas for me.

Pressley was a good defender but he tainted it with his antics when he returned with Celtic.

I really can't see Zal lowering himself if he was to leave and return.

Plus his tears on the 19th. He's a true Jambo.

Anyone not blinded by his actions after he left will say Pressley. I mean I love Zal and he obviously loves the club but Elvis was a far better defender.

Guys lets be honest with ourself here. Steven Pressley is one of the best captains ever at HMFC. I know his chest beating carry on when he came back to Tynecastle playing for Celtic was ridiculous but he really was a tremendous captain. Like someone else mentioned, the game away to Falkirk where he scored an own goal to make it 2-0 Falkirk & Craig Gordon had already been sent off early on. He went up the park & scored a double to make it 2-2. That really did sum the man up.

I love Zal & he has been a great captain but he has made a load of mistakes that have cost us badly in games.

Correct.

Plus his quote after the 2006 cup final, as bus passed through jubilant fans ....... 'We should be applauding these people'.

Some have short memories and small minds sadly. ;-(

Elvis by the length of Gorgie Road and back again.

But I need to add that Zal in the last season or so has improved his game by copious amounts

telford_jambo84

Correct.

Plus his quote after the 2006 cup final, as bus passed through jubilant fans ....... 'We should be applauding these people'.

Nobody is saying pressley was crap he just let himself down good out of his way to wind up the people who loved him.

On the other hand

ToadKiller Dog

Zal on the cup run last season puts him way above Elvis as a player for us , in the rounds , most so the replay at Perth , plus the final itself his chest bursting with pride leading his/our team out onto the pitch .

Fermit the Krog

Someone gonna tell me what Pressley (as a player) was better at than Zal?

Other than falling over, trying to win a free kick near his own box of course.

We all know (deep down for some) that Zal is ten times the man that he is and as captain in our greatest EVER victory, Zal takes that as well, so if we can clear up what he was better at as a player - that would be great, thanks.

Sorry, what part of my post sent you to sleep

The boring chest-thumping incident ....AGAIN!! I'll say what i've said before years ago when this came up... Pressley was a free agent who could sign for anyone who offered him a contract at that time. Who else could've gave him a healthy contract for such a short period of time in Scotland? He was hated by Celtic fans because he had played for both Hearts and Rangers, they didn't accept him. That chest-thumping lark was done in front of their fans, not, repeat..NOT in front of Hearts fans, if he did that then he really would've been lowest of the low. It was a desperate attempt by himself to be accepted by the scroats that support that team, and possibly a slight dig at Romanov for sacking him, not a dig at Hearts fans. Anyway, he got a League winners medal while there, something he didn't get with us so i'm sure he's quite proud to have that on his mantelpiece at home. And the chest-thumping?? I was over that 10 seconds after it happened, i'd rather be reminded of the previous 9 years he was at the club and not a wee 5 second moment of desperation, thanks!

Correct.

Remember him taking a bad head knock in a match & deciding to play on. After the match they discovered that be actually had a concussion.

Pressley was everything you want as a captain.

The chest beating incident really was a shame as he should be remembered as one of the best captains of all time. He only has himself to blame though.

Both have been great captains for Hearts - the real pity is that SP took the luster of his time here with the chest thumping display during his short stay with Celtic. A moment I've no doubt he has come to regret.

telford_jambo84

The boring chest-thumping incident ....AGAIN!! I'll say what i've said before years ago when this came up... Pressley was a free agent who could sign for anyone who offered him a contract at that time. Who else could've gave him a healthy contract for such a short period of time in Scotland? He was hated by Celtic fans because he had played for both Hearts and Rangers, they didn't accept him. That chest-thumping lark was done in front of their fans, not, repeat..NOT in front of Hearts fans, if he did that then he really would've been lowest of the low. It was a desperate attempt by himself to be accepted by the scroats that support that team, and possibly a slight dig at Romanov for sacking him, not a dig at Hearts fans. Anyway, he got a League winners medal while there, something he didn't get with us so i'm sure he's quite proud to have that on his mantelpiece at home. And the chest-thumping?? I was over that 10 seconds after it happened, i'd rather be reminded of the previous 9 years he was at the club and not a wee 5 second moment of desperation, thanks!

2 things mate

a) it was in front of our fans

B) Romanov wasn't at that game

Remember him taking a bad head knock in a match & deciding to play on. After the match they discovered that he actually had a concussion.

Pressley was everything you want as a captain.

The chest beating incident really was a shame as he should be remembered as one of the best captains of all time. He only has himself to blame though.

Nailed it.

A far, far too sensible a post for here!!!

Elvis by the length of Gorgie Road and back again.

But I need to add that Zal in the last season or so has improved his game by copious amounts

This. Elvis was a better player and the best leader I've seen at Hearts but Zal's improved hugely in the last 18 months.

Although neither of them are anywhere near as good as Levein or Maclaren were.

2 things mate

a) it was in front of our fans

B) Romanov wasn't at that game

2 more things mate, it was in front of Celtic fans in the Roseburn and the fact Romanov wasn't there makes no difference, it would've got back to him somehow.

Hold on.

In terms of actual footballing ability people are actually choosing snakely? A typical "braveheart" centre half but could barely play football.

Mr Romanov Saviour of HMFC

Pressley was a terrible player.

Terrible.

Diving cheat as well.

Very good leader but Zaliukas has done that job with more class and dignity than the snake could ever dream of.

Fermit the Krog

2 more things mate, it was in front of Celtic fans in the Roseburn and the fact Romanov wasn't there makes no difference, it would've got back to him somehow.

1 final thing.

See Paul Hartleys return to Tynecastle for how a former employee should behave towards the Heart of Midlothian support whilst wearing the demon hoops.

Pressley could have done all you have said AND shown respect towards the Hearts support - He never. His bed, **** him.

Archived