Your First Job

Generic Username

Generic Username

I used to work a Wednesday night and Saturday morning at my school's community center helping out with the kids football and badminton classes. Used to think I was hot shit when I'd get my pay slip in for 20 odd blabs.

When I left school I went to college to got myself a part time job in an awful shop down Kirkcaldy high street called The Present Shop. It sold (and still does to this day) all manner of tat, from Beanie Babies to awful water features to smutty playing cards. I was the only bloke working there and the only person who wasn't going through the menopause.

Those were the days.

Shop counter in my local post office on a saturday morning. Boss left at half ten so had an hour or so to help myself to sweets. Finished at 2 and then off to tynie.

Worked on the local fruit and veg van for about 18 months when I was 13.

Would go to customers doors and collect their orders as the van moved its way round Bathgate and then carry their orders back to them.

Got paid ?6 for 12 hours work on a Fri night and all day Saturday which works out at a measly 50p an hour but got loads of tips so worked out about ?30 a week.

Hated folk who ordered a full sack of tatties and then tipped you 10p for lugging them half a mile up a hill! :(

Lancashire_Lou

I collected the money for my Cousin's milk round.

My first proper job with a payslip was working at Evans. As a very skinny teenager I was hated in there.

scottish_chicP

Worked ridiculous hours/times as a waitress in a hotel for ?3 an hour. Sometimes finishing at 1am and starting at 6am and 14-15 hours shifts.

All my mates worked there though so was good fun most times!

Prince Buaben

Used to work part time in a restaurant 2 nights a week (with the occasional Friday) after school then a Saturday night and a Sunday afternoon

BoJack Horseman

Worked at a shop on the Royal Mile selling all sorts of tat to tourists when I was 14. Made me around ?30 for a days work.

The People's Chimp

I used to work a Wednesday night and Saturday morning at my school's community center helping out with the kids football and badminton classes. Used to think I was hot shit when I'd get my pay slip in for 20 odd blabs.

When I left school I went to college to got myself a part time job in an awful shop down Kirkcaldy high street called The Present Shop. It sold (and still does to this day) all manner of tat, from Beanie Babies to awful water features to smutty playing cards. I was the only bloke working there and the only person who wasn't going through the menopause.

Those were the days.

Heard this was a big seller:

tumblr_inline_mhrgtpjJ7A1qz4rgp.jpg

The Old Tolbooth

Do paper rounds count? I obviously had a hard one! :ninja:

First proper full time job was working in Abbotsford fabrics in Galashiels inspecting cloth for faults and dispatching cuts all over the World, it was a good job straight from school and I thought I was loaded because I was earning ?49 per week! (it was in 1986)

I had a paper round which netted me about a 5 spot a week in the mid 90's. I was punted because I dumped the bundles in waste ground and went to the football. The council duly cut the grass there and spread bits of the Herald & Post around half of Fife.

Apprentice mechanic was my first real job. Pish munney so moved on...

Never had a paper round or anything.

First proper job was basically a tea boy at RMJM architects. Decent enough for a 16 year old, quite interesting as it was during the fallout from the overspend on the Scottish Parliament building and they were one of the main players involved. Saw the aftermath of someone jumping off the Dean Bridge as well, pretty horrendous and right outside the office window.

Decided one day I couldn't be arsed and wanted to make more money, never went back in. Had to get my grandad to go in and pick up my jacket, books etc. for me :vrface:

Not counting my Sunday paper round...........first job was with the DHSS printing the family allowance books and girocheques. Was too young to be on the counter. Castle Terrace was some place as we had a number of the down and outs and people shooting up in the toilets!!!!

Working in the stockroom for rentokil at south gyle. Lasted six month before joining MIMTEC/ IBM for the big bucks.

Worked on the milk. Worked from 4.30-7.30am mon-fri and same on a sat (most times later) for 24 quid a week!! Plus tips made on a thur and fri night which bumped it up to about 45 quid which was no bad at 14!

Xmas was fantastic tho used to pull in couple of hundred quid.

Probably why I learned heehaw at school as I was always half asleep in classes. Still I loved it.

Worked at the McDonalds in Loanhead. Started when I was 16 for some cash while I was at high school and Uni. Stayed there for far too long after becoming a manager there, until I got a job for finance team at the ambulance service 5 years ago.

McDonalds is a horrible place to work in terms of the hours and the tag that comes with it, but it tought me a lot about business and management, so I don't really regret it.

Rand Paul's Ray Bans

Got my first job a week after I turned sixteen, working in a high street store on Saturdays.

Still got it now, four and a half years later, albeit in a different location.

Say What Again

While still at school I worked a Saturday on the deli counter at Willie Lows on Nicholson Street. 9am - 5pm for just over ?9.

First full time job I had was in British Gas offices at Marine Drive. Lift a huge pile of cards, enter the customers first metre reading since they'd moved into a new house, repeat. Finish huge pile of cards, go collect another huge pile and repeat. Soul destroying stuff.

Thankfully I was only there 7 weeks before I was offered a printing apprenticeship.

First job was laying astroturf all around the country. Loved it! Hard graft, always plenty overtime and plenty of tine working away. Gash money, cracking banter.

Helped dig peat on a farm and deliver leaflets for garden centres etc.

First real job was in that Reebok shop in livi. They supplied Hearts at the time so got into hospitality at Tynie a couple of times and once down at Bolton too.

Brian Whittaker's Tache

First job was a delivering cream and dairy produce door to door in Uphall at 14, then I got a job in Aldo's chippy for ?8 a night and all the fried goods that were left at the end of the shift.

First proper job was an apprentice Quantity Surveyor with Wimpey Homes on ?56 a week. Thought I was loaded as the rest of my mates were YOP'rs at ?19 a week!!

Done a bit of glazing cash in hand when I was 16 up at kings buildings. Loved it. 40 quid a week.

First real job was at Pizza Hut express in the gyle. Was there for 2 years whilst at school on ?4.28 an hour. Paid weekly too so was on about 50 quid a week. I was brilliant at the job regularly winning prizes for my customer service. Aldo git numbers from a few regular hotties as well. Loved that too. Not been there for a few years but used to go back during the summer/xmas holidays.

I've never even liked Pizza Hut.

Packed fridges at a supermarket in Wester Hailes shopping centre for Birds-eye on Fridays in 1972-73. ?2.40 for 4 hours work.

Chief dishwasher in a big hotel in Princes st, long hours ,not much pay but great laugh, left to start a YTS Which led to an apprenticeship :)

After a pre teen paper round I graduated to becoming a delivery boy (like Granvile from open all hours complete with bike) at a licensed grocers at Mansfield Pl Edinburgh. Used to deliver to some celbs e.g. Sir Compton McKenzie, Anne Redpath and others I can't recall now. Worst delivery was to a a couple who lived on the 3rd floor at Bellvue Terrace who used to buy a hundredweight of coal in 4 x 28lb paper bags and they never ever gave me a tip. The other crap delivery was to this smelly auld woman who lived in Scotland Street about half a mile from the shop and then relocated to Willowbrae and decided she still wanted to get her messages delivered from us. Needless to say this used to take up a lot of my 2 hour shift when it happened. Thoroughly enjoyed the job otherwise.

Worked part time in Sports Division in Cameron Toll when I was 15. Hated the job, and the aircon never worked for the whole time I was there and I'd literally be soaked through by the end of even a 4 hour shift. Met some good lads there though and we had a laugh, we were never short of practical jokes. I got paid a whole ?2.52 an hour if recall correctly.

BoJack Horseman

Video shop when i was 12. 75p per hour, 32 hours a week. 3 free rentals a night, top that! :cool4:

32 hours a week at age 12? Didn't you go to school? If you did, where did you find the time to watch 2 films a night?

Weekend paper round, Sundays were the days you made the most money and the Christmas tips always made it worthwhile. Eventually graduated to working behind the counter in the shop before getting a job in Sainsburys.

First job was when I just turned up at a local general sell-everything shop and started doing stuff. Eventually it was assumed I'd started working there as I turned up every week - I don't actually recall asking to work there or being asked...it just happened.

Ended up doing - at various times during the same shift - bakery work, butcher work, petrol pumps, shelf-filling, order-taking and finally the till.

First pay was 10p/hour.

32 hours a week at age 12? Didn't you go to school? If you did, where did you find the time to watch 2 films a night?

3 films a night. Worked week on, week off. 4-8 mon-thu. 10-6pm sat-sun. Plenty time to watch films. Done pretty poor in school, generally but have built a successful business (soon to be empire) in the film/entertainment distribution trade, funny enough. None of it can reach the heights of those free rentals though.

Telesales at Anglia Windows round the corner from Tynecastle. three quid an hour, three-hour shifts. I lasted three weeks. My soul took months to recover from the meaningless of the job, the inane pressure put on us to get "leads" and the guilt at phoning folk who didn't want to be disturbed.

Summer 1999 between 5th and 6th year.

Great thread...triggered some facinating memories. Had various weekend jobs over a few years mid-70s while still at school

J S McAlpines butchers at Meadowbank, 7am to 6 pm Saturdays. Spent the morning delivering parcels of butcher meat by bike then into the back shop to help make burgers or sausages or beef dripping for the afternoon. ?1.50 for the day plus a bag of chops/sausage/black pudding etc.

St Cuthberts milk lorries out of Morrison Street. You'd turn up in the middle of the night ( well about 6 am ) and stand about till two foremen guys in overcoats and hats came and paired you up with a driver for the day. Sometimes it would be a lorry sometimes a horse and cart for some of the more central rounds. As long as you could carry 12 pints of milk in each hand and turn a blind eye to any milk token pockling by the drivers you were fine!

Door-to-door cream delivery. Run by a boy out of Glenrothes as I remember but there were rounds all over eastern Edinburgh. Start at a designated address where there would be a bucket full of wee cartons of cream and a book with all the streets and customers for that round. Walk the round and hopefully finish up with an empty bucket. Can't remember what we were paid but on some rounds the tips were good

Guest C00l K1d

Worked with the council street cleaning when i was 16.

6.30am-5.30 pm ?9 an hour :verysmug: 4 days on 4 days of. Weekly pay aswell it was probably the best run of money i've ever had :laugh:

Mr Romanov Saviour of HMFC

Herald & Post and I absolutely hated it. Was about 1000 papers and then leaflets to put in the papers for 20 quid a week or something. :lol:

Ended up getting grassed up by some auld bint for dumping the papers.

Good character building though. :lol:

First job was supposed to be apprentice motor mechanic, but was really petrol pump attendant at Whitehall Garage, Blackhall, strangely enough it was my fathers last job as he worked there doing the same thing when he retired.

Moved on from there to Viewforth Garage, G&B Motors, Viewforth Terrace. Same thing supposed to be apprentice, was in fact just general labourer. Left at 17 to join the army, best move I ever made.

I also collected milk money(never delivered the milk) on a Friday evening

got a mince pie supper at the end of the night :)

I worked at Iceland in Glenrothes from 16 then all the way through uni until I joined the RAF. I always had enough left on a Thursday night for a pint before the pay came in at midnight! Great times.

Great thread...triggered some facinating memories. Had various weekend jobs over a few years mid-70s while still at school

J S McAlpines butchers at Meadowbank, 7am to 6 pm Saturdays. Spent the morning delivering parcels of butcher meat by bike then into the back shop to help make burgers or sausages or beef dripping for the afternoon. ?1.50 for the day plus a bag of chops/sausage/black pudding etc.

St Cuthberts milk lorries out of Morrison Street. You'd turn up in the middle of the night ( well about 6 am ) and stand about till two foremen guys in overcoats and hats came and paired you up with a driver for the day. Sometimes it would be a lorry sometimes a horse and cart for some of the more central rounds. As long as you could carry 12 pints of milk in each hand and turn a blind eye to any milk token pockling by the drivers you were fine!

Door-to-door cream delivery. Run by a boy out of Glenrothes as I remember but there were rounds all over eastern Edinburgh. Start at a designated address where there would be a bucket full of wee cartons of cream and a book with all the streets and customers for that round. Walk the round and hopefully finish up with an empty bucket. Can't remember what we were paid but on some rounds the tips were good

I had a cream round. Run by a guy in Wishaw. I could make up to 20 quid a week for about three hours work. At Christmas, I'd rake in over 500 quid, with tips, gift sales and flogging shortbread.

Left school in May '78 and had 3 months to spare before starting as an apprentice technician at BP in Grangemouth. Got a job with Falkirk council, as an assistant Gardner, cutting grass and maintaining the flower beds, etc, in Bo'ness. Second day on the job, got sent back to my old school to cut the grass on the quadrangle in front of the 5th year common room. Cue some good banter and waving of pound notes.

Can't remember it raining for the full 10 weeks or so I was working outside. Happy days!!

Herald & Post and I absolutely hated it. Was about 1000 papers and then leaflets to put in the papers for 20 quid a week or something. :lol:

Ended up getting grassed up by some auld bint for dumping the papers.

Good character building though. :lol:

Did the same for 1 week and jacked it. Split the route with Malky then we realised we'd be panning our ***** in for about ?6 a week. Slave labour is what it is.

First real job was apprentice sparky with Maxwell Electrical. Really enjoyed my time there sadly they went out of business a couple of years ago

Guest Dipped Flake

washing dishes in the Tudor Rose restaurant up the town. Chased the money by going to do the same job in Henderson's Salad Bar and got sacked after 2 shifts!! First real job, computer operator at the Brewery

I deliverd Edinburgh herald andpost aswell every 3weeks there was more and more being about1000 papers to deliver then got idea just dumped the lot in the water. O leith at ros?burn got about six weeks free cash then they phoned people up out of blue to check so packed it in

Billy the Jambo

My first job was an apprentice partsperson at Ross Motors in Ratcliffe Terrace in 1976 .MY first wage was ?14 a week

Juan Rom?n Riquelme

First proper job was in a shop.

We had a high turnover in bosses and the job was easy and not bad when you had a good boss and shite when you had a bad one.

Used to spend Sunday afternoons playing football with old cabbages and stuff out the back and generally fannying about.

Working at the Imperial Palace in DMains...top wonga and free food.

Dunno what era we're talking but when I was growing up in the D Mains area, that would have been a negative rather than a positive :lol:

Guest GhostHunter

Dunno what era we're talking but when I was growing up in the D Mains area, that would have been a negative rather than a positive :lol:

mid to late 80's after it first opened :)

Some "interesting" nights working there....

Archived