Hibs = Hoof merchants..

Martin_T

Is there any team in the SPL who go long more frequently than Hibs? What I saw from them on Saturday was similar to many of their other performances at Tynecastle since the alleged 'flair era' began under Mowbray, constant long diagonal punts from back to front.

We are talking about a team whose 6ft 7" centre half scored 8 times last season. Although obviously due to the mantra spouted ad nauseum by first Tony Mowbray then John Collins, a belief mistakenly adopted as fact by the Scottish media, each of these goals was at the end of a silky flowing move with Jones applying a deft finish. Is that why they have been heavily linked with Colin N(p)ish to? They can make great use of Nishy's oil tanker esque turning cirlce to finish even more silkily their flowing moves? Or maybe they'll have another player to aim their long diagonal punts at?

Hibernian FC, great balance sheet, pish team, long ball football. Describes them to a tee.

Is there any team in the SPL who go long more frequently than Hibs? What I saw from them on Saturday was similar to many of their other performances at Tynecastle since the alleged 'flair era' began under Mowbray, constant long diagonal punts from back to front.

We are talking about a team whose 6ft 7" centre half scored 8 times last season. Although obviously due to the mantra spouted ad nauseum by first Tony Mowbray then John Collins, a belief mistakenly adopted as fact by the Scottish media, each of these goals was at the end of a silky flowing move with Jones applying a deft finish. Is that why they have been heavily linked with Colin N(p)ish to? They can make great use of Nishy's oil tanker esque turning cirlce to finish even more silkily their flowing moves? Or maybe they'll have another player to aim their long diagonal punts at?

Hibernian FC, great balance sheet, pish team, long ball football. Describes them to a tee.

I think they are a long ball team. 3 or 4 passes amongst the defenders and then a long diagonal ball.

The loss of Murphy is very important for them. He was their best long ball player.

They don't even appear to have someone who can hit those Mowbray-esque long diagonal balls anymore - most of their long-balls went straight down the middle. Must have been a very easy shift for Berra and Karapidis.

If players of the calibre of Nish and Rankin are their aim, can't see those turning their season around OR adding any flair to their workmanlike side.

Stupid tactic hoofball when your forward (Benji) doesn't try a leg.He was even worse than Benny in the first derby this season. :)

Hoof ball as I understand it, is some terminology that the hobos have invented to describe the long ball game. So with that in mind can we try and not use it please. :rolleyes:

The Old Tolbooth

Funny how the ref failed to notice Sheils and Zemmamas constant diving but was quick enough to book Chesney for being assaulted in the box for a stonewall penalty too.

Also Rob Jones should have been booked for persistent fouling long before he was and gets away with absolute murder every match, what a complete donkey!

Hoof ball as I understand it, is some terminology that the hobos have invented to describe the long ball game. So with that in mind can we try and not use it please. :rolleyes:

think you will find that was arsenal actually,although they both do play flowing football in a similar style :arf:

There was only one person who caught my eye in a green shirt from Saturday, and that was the boy Morais. He looked to have at least a little bit of potential.

Dont think ANY of their other players did ANYTHING else worth noting.

Also Rob Jones should have been booked for persistent fouling long before he was and gets away with absolute murder every match, what a complete donkey!

Why Leeds or any other English club are looking at this mug is beyond me, he is total gash. As far as I can see, he only offers anying in the oppositions box at set pieces. I would love to see his stats for Saturday, as he gave the ball away nearly everytime he had it.......he is absolute murder on the deck.

Lumping the ball so high it comes down with snow on it is a legitimate tactic of teams with a superior skill quotient. It is not easy to get exactly the right trajectory to avoid landing on the roof of the stand. I am sure that the only reason Hearts got away without conceding goals in double figures was that our players are just so limited that they stood in the wrong places whereas good players would have ben totally caught on the hop by the subtlety of Hibs progressive approach.

Why Leeds or any other English club are looking at this mug is beyond me, he is total gash. As far as I can see, he only offers anying in the oppositions box at set pieces. I would love to see his stats for Saturday, as he gave the ball away nearly everytime he had it.......he is absolute murder on the deck.

Just been reading the Evening News and Hardie gives Jones the MOM award........unbelievable:)

Hibs main pen box threat is Jones.

Its possible that players like Shiels and Morais go down easily as a tactic to allow balls to be thrown into the box for Jones to try and get on to.

I have watched Hibs a few times on Setanta etc and I think they try to play passing football but if it fails they revert to a big punt from Hogg or Jones.

Whereas on Saturday, Hearts were trying to play some good football with short, sharp passing between Ruben, Eggert & Mikey, they just punted it.

What a bl**dy cheek they have to call us a pub team or hoofballers, time for a reality check.

I think they knew that Hearts had the physical side of the game sown up, especially if Hibs went 4-4-2 and we had Ruben, Stewart and Eggert in the middle hitting them hard.

They decided to go toe to toe and match as in the middle but their players are just not as good.

Poor team who play poor football.

It may well be industrial hoofball, but it is done with flair in mind, every one of them stretches out their arms for balance whilst lifting up their pinky just before playing the long punt up to the Hearts centre halfs.

Flairmeisters the lot of them!!

Even the goalie fumbles with style.

If you play with fullbacks that have some pace and decent positioning it is entirely possible to completely negate Hibs as an attacking threat.

We did it with Jose and Robbie.

Flair Hibs has to be one of the best marketing campaigns of the new century. Not only has it allowed them to sell a number of average to reasonably good quality products for hugely inflated prices, it has all been done with barely a penny spent on advertising, as it has all been done through free media coverage.

As an added bonus, which surely even their board couldn't have predicted, the traditional customer base whose needs have been ignored completely have carried on handing over their money. Many of these customers even telling anyone that will listen that they'd rather see the company make healthy profits than recieve the outputs they are meant to be paying for.

To keep this up for years has been nothing short of brilliant. Rod Petrie, Tom Farmer, a career writing business self-help books surely awaits you.

We certainly played our fair share of hoof ball on Saturday.

....with the difference being that we don't claim to be purveyors of silky soccer, or the 'Arsenal of the North' as I believe one of their supporters claimed they were earlier in the season.

We also played "all the football" on Saturday.

We passed it about reasonably well for the first 25/30 minutes.

Hibs didn't pass it well at any stage.

Archived