• Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Morgan

• Harry Potter

• iantjambo

• IronJambo

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Haha. Picking up on someone's spelling while spelling a word incorrectly yourself. Lovely.

:D what uj taljing aboot

I P Knightley

Wrong

Jay, is American English

Did you grow up in Edinburgh?

I'd say that less than a quarter of my schoolmates (guid Edinburgh comprehensive) used "Jye". Of those who stayed on after getting some O-grades, that fraction would have fallen to about a twentieth. And that was long before we were inundated with Americanisms; the place had barely been discovered :)

BoJack Horseman

J-Lo everywhere except central Scotland building sites, where she's affectionately referred to as "Jai-Lo".

jlo-booty-album-cover.jpg

J-Lo everywhere except central Scotland building sites, where she's affectionately referred to as "Jai-Lo".

jlo-booty-album-cover.jpg

Rhymes with lilo.

Did you grow up in Edinburgh?

I'd say that less than a quarter of my schoolmates (guid Edinburgh comprehensive) used "Jye". Of those who stayed on after getting some O-grades, that fraction would have fallen to about a twentieth. And that was long before we were inundated with Americanisms; the place had barely been discovered :)

No, Renfrewshire

You must be trolling. Everyone you know and hear speak says'jai'?

trolling its my seethe , I first said ji, someone said jai, so I went with that, I think its jy or jye, what the hell , jay is not Scottish English, so there. Now leave me alone. :D

Bgt winner, scots opera guy,what is his name again?

Jai. If it was just J and pronounced Jai it might mean something, but just because Kai is a boys name doesnt mean that K is pronounced Kai.

Edited by 2NaFish

BoJack Horseman

LL Cool Jai

ll_cool_j_-_1.jpg

You're right it doesn't work.

That was my next one :(

Anyway, anyone checked out the new Alt-Jai album?

alt-j-2-facebook-cover-timeline-banner-for-fb.jpg

Only folk like John Yogi Hughes would say Jai Jai B when they were looking places to buy football boots.

However you rarely find academics and professors on radio 4 saying Jai funnily enough.

Prince Buaben

I've never dealt with a male receptionist in a doctors surgery Ribble, have you?

I have. Well one that worked with my mum in the hospital. If that counts?

"Jigh" is definitely a Scottish English thing, but it appears to be dying out. Never said it myself, and don't remember many people saying it growing up in Edin.

"Jay" is not American English, though. It's English English! :)

BoJack Horseman

"Jigh" is definitely a Scottish English thing, but it appears to be dying out. Never said it myself, and don't remember many people saying it growing up in Edin.

That's the main thing here. No one is denying that "jai" crops up now and again in various working class scottish dialects, but to say that the correct "jay" is an American English thing is laughable. What bubble is he living in that he thinks all of the British English speakers of the country say "jai"? Can you imagine the Queen saying Jai? :lol:

aye now, maybe, not when I was a boy. Ill stick too scotlands version since im fae here.

Unfortunately we're not that separate a nation from the US any more... aussieh. With the advent of the 6th television channel, the world wide web, and an abundance of social media channels, the cultures of the US and UK have merged significantly. We pick up a lot of theirs, and they pick up some of ours. It's not that modern a phenomenon. Today's youth are perpetually exposed to the american culture, and grow up seeing it no different to our own. You can no longer cherry pick the bits you like and the bits you don't. Face it dude, your kids are going to a totally awesome prom when they graduate high school.

You must shake with rage anytime this boy shows up.

300x300.jpg

JAI ZED in the hoose.

Alexander Armstrong called him this on Pointless. :D

BoJack Horseman

Alexander Armstrong called him this on Pointless. :D

I reckon, without looking, that he actually called him Jay Zed.

It's just a Scottish way for saying it, maybe even more localised than that.

Like people that say Hearts play in marone. In some European countries dialects are cherished, in Britain they are looked down on.

BoJack Horseman

Like people that say Hearts play in marone. In some European countries dialects are cherished, in Britain they are looked down on.

It's like delusion that the whole of Britain speaks the same as your local dialect that's looked down on.

I'm not being funny, but is that true? I remember reading that Arnold Schwarzenegger offered to do the german dub of terminator 2 and was declined as his Austrian accent sounds like a dumb hick. But that's as far as my knowledge goes and am interested.

I'm not being funny, but is that true? I remember reading that Arnold Schwarzenegger offered to do the german dub of terminator 2 and was declined as his Austrian accent sounds like a dumb hick. But that's as far as my knowledge goes and am interested.

Well obviously a merciless killing machine sounding like a yokel wouldn't work. The same as Darth Vader having his Cornish accent changed.

Malinga the Swinga

Sleeky wee nomarks who try to take over at work, when in reality, they are probably the lowest grade and experience and owe any authority they somehow have to being able to crawl to their boss because they have no self respect, no respect for anyone else and most likely, no life outside their work. I don't work in your team, you have no team. I am not part of your work, I have my own work to get on with. How can you say you are busy when you manage to wander off for coffee constantly, chatter to anyone and everyone who passes, organise night out, seat moves and generally crawl to anyone with any real power.

Can't wait until I can retire and tell said person/persons what I really think of them instead of having to grit teeth and get on with them.