The all new "seethe" thread

cosanostra

SectionDJambo
2 hours ago, JWL said:

I understand why they've done it in the past but, as with yourself, really surprised that they are still doing it. It actually made me forget one of the items I was going in for. I think someone earlier said that they'd buy less just out of spite and I fully get where they are coming from. Just no requirement to do this when money is so tight and lots of people are basically on the breadline. Maybe these posts should go on the shameless profiteering thread.

They still make cuts in labour resource to, they say, compete with the German discount stores. I don't have the information to know why Aldi and Lidl consistently, seemingly, manage to be cheaper than the "big 4. 

To my knowledge, being a manager at any level in any supermarket in the UK isn't a job with a lot of job satisfaction, due to the expectations of the companies against the resource they provide to run stores. 

Supermarkets have destroyed the fabric of Main Streets in small towns. Those towns had shopkeepers who were being accused of profiteering when supermarkets started to grow in numbers. That was nonsense from people who deserted their local shops for supermarkets. It was impossible to compete. Now there's little else left except supermarkets who are now closing down their instore bakeries, butchers and fish counters to sell pre packed instead, to have less labour costs.

• Replies 20.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Morgan

• Harry Potter

• iantjambo

• IronJambo

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Салатные палочки
10 hours ago, SectionDJambo said:

I’m retired from working in a major supermarket. Not Sainsbury.

It was originally, of course, a ploy to take people to products they didn’t normally buy, as when customers got familiar with the areas of the store that their targeted items were, they wouldn’t go into the other areas. However, it was eventually realised that big moves really annoyed customers and became a barrier to them being loyal to the company. Most people, especially men, want to be in and out as quickly as possible.  
I believe that although there may still be restricted moves within an aisle, supermarkets tend not to make massive moves of products to different areas.

I’m surprised that Sainsbury are still doing it. It costs too much time and labour when labour resources are being squeezed to unmanageable levels.

:oohmatron:

Unknown user
12 minutes ago, SectionDJambo said:

They still make cuts in labour resource to, they say, compete with the German discount stores. I don't have the information to know why Aldi and Lidl consistently, seemingly, manage to be cheaper than the "big 4. 

It's simple, they're greedy ****s living off the nation's poverty. Tesco made a profit of 520 million every week over the last financial year.

https://www.retailgazette.co.uk/blog/2022/01/tesco-profits-to-hit-2-6-billion-after-a-stronger-than-expected-christmas/

36 minutes ago, SectionDJambo said:

To my knowledge, being a manager at any level in any supermarket in the UK isn't a job with a lot of job satisfaction, due to the expectations of the companies against the resource they provide to run stores. 

Supermarkets have destroyed the fabric of Main Streets in small towns. Those towns had shopkeepers who were being accused of profiteering when supermarkets started to grow in numbers. That was nonsense from people who deserted their local shops for supermarkets. It was impossible to compete. Now there's little else left except supermarkets who are now closing down their instore bakeries, butchers and fish counters to sell pre packed instead, to have less labour costs.

In the most part they can take a loss lead on branded stuff because they are well ahead of the UK supermarkets at the european fruitmarkets in places like rotterdam, in rotterdam they can buy the volumes they need for Germany and the UK and then take on the transportation costs themselves whereas the UK supermarkets often buy from the UK fruit markets that have imported themselves from rotterdam and added their markup

As a totally hypothetical example in Rotterdam a single brazilian banana may be 10p at the volume Aldi or Lidl buy then when you add their own transport costs to get the banana to the shelves of your local store it's then 15p, that same banana is then 15p for Tesco by the time it then leaves rotterdam and ends up in a UK fruit market/port but they still need to get it to the store and by then it's cost tesco 30p. That 15p saving on each banana for Aldi/Lidl means they can then knock off a few pence on other products or even loss lead on certain branded items

A Boy Named Crow
On 01/04/2022 at 20:19, SectionDJambo said:

Not sure how it is in the UK, but in Australia Aldi can charge less because what they offer is the very definition of cheap and nasty. More than once is I've bought meat from Aldi that was green! The range of products they stock is pitiful.  Honestly, I'd never wish unemployment on their staff, but Aldi deserves to go out of business!

Harry Potter

Maybe a big coincidence but went on a link on the match thread yesterday for hesgoals , never again,

laptop bombarded with anti virus adverts, pop ups all ower the shop, what a joke of a website, ended up putting the laptop on reset, ok today, no wonder its free .

Unknown user
10 minutes ago, Harry Potter said:

Maybe a big coincidence but went on a link on the match thread yesterday for hesgoals , never again,

laptop bombarded with anti virus adverts, pop ups all ower the shop, what a joke of a website, ended up putting the laptop on reset, ok today, no wonder its free .

Use duckduckgo browser, or Brave 👍

Harry Potter
14 minutes ago, Smithee said:

need to be brave to go on that rubbish, lol. honestly you get what you pay for, 

2 hours ago, Smithee said:

I switched to duckduckgo ages ago and tracking is noticeably not a thing now. 

Unknown user
1 minute ago, Tazio said:

I switched to duckduckgo ages ago and tracking is noticeably not a thing now. 

Same, it's really reliable too

Lone Striker
On 01/04/2022 at 10:19, SectionDJambo said:

Its fairly simple imo.   

Using Aldi as an example,  they've sourced lots of items from alternative food manufacturers who don't get a look-in at  Tesco/Sainsbury - some are inferior to the well-known brands, but there's also a surprising number that are decent while also being cheaper.     

They also employ a much lower number of staff on a shift - hence the regular tannoy calls that "Checkout number 3 is closing" - which really means that the till operator on checkout 3 is now required to do other duties like  restocking shelves, before going back on the checkout half an hour later to the tannoy fanfare "We're opening checkout number 1 for you".      

If you're interested in a job at Aldi, don't expect to be able sit on your backside for the whole shift.  

ArcticJambo

If you or your kids eat a lot of cereal then Aldi/Lidl are the places to go for your morning meal.  Two, three heck four times cheaper.  You won't notice the difference either, after a couple of months.  Mental that Asda/Tesco/Morrisons etc are charging £3 for a box of Kellogs crunchy nut when Aldi are doing the knock-off equivalent for 89p. :lol:

18 hours ago, Lone Striker said:

Its fairly simple imo.   

Using Aldi as an example,  they've sourced lots of items from alternative food manufacturers who don't get a look-in at  Tesco/Sainsbury - some are inferior to the well-known brands, but there's also a surprising number that are decent while also being cheaper.     

They also employ a much lower number of staff on a shift - hence the regular tannoy calls that "Checkout number 3 is closing" - which really means that the till operator on checkout 3 is now required to do other duties like  restocking shelves, before going back on the checkout half an hour later to the tannoy fanfare "We're opening checkout number 1 for you".      

If you're interested in a job at Aldi, don't expect to be able sit on your backside for the whole shift.  

Several reasons really. 

Let's use beans as an example - they only sell one type of beans. That means they have bigger buying power for them. You look at a big supermarket and they'll have 15-20 variations of beans between sugar free, small run, big tin, 4 pack, 6 pack etc so they don't have as much clout for each variety.

They don't dick around with merchandising, they cut the pallet open and chuck it out.  Those 6"2 high mixed pallets you see staff chucking out, they're expected to get that finished in around 20 minutes.

They have a "formula" that they push to measure a stores profitability and are always trying to raise the standard in a store. Each store will have their own productivity target, 300 may be typical for many but it could more or less. That would mean they have to take £300 for every staff hour they use.  Store managers push this as that number is their monthly bonus along with x% of the shops sales. 

Horrible see you next Tuesday's. Staff are treated like shit.

Edited by IronJambo

50 minutes ago, jonesy said:

While staff can always be treated better, there are lots of familiar faces at my local Aldi supermarket, all of whom have a ready smile and happy to exchange pleasantries while getting the job done. This is a sharp contrast to one I sometimes used to pop into when driving home, where the staff are rude to the point where I've stopped going in. Not sure if these places (not more than three or four miles apart) have different managers or if one person is responsible for both stores?

Staff moods in that respect will be down the management within the store. A store manager can only run one store (trust me). May have the same area manager who would generally have 3 or 4 stores under them. 

I dislike them strongly for many reasons but a customer probably wouldn't really be aware of any of them. The food they sell is generally fantastic, especially for the price. That's not enough for me to give them my money though.

SectionDJambo
2 hours ago, IronJambo said:

Staff moods in that respect will be down the management within the store. A store manager can only run one store (trust me). May have the same area manager who would generally have 3 or 4 stores under them. 

I dislike them strongly for many reasons but a customer probably wouldn't really be aware of any of them. The food they sell is generally fantastic, especially for the price. That's not enough for me to give them my money though.

Unfortunately, I think you'd find that even if the public knew how badly their employees were being treated at work, they wouldn't care less as long as they are getting something cheap. 

I may be wrong, but I think that it was Aldi or Lidl who started opening on New Year's Day, which has always been a traditional Scottish holiday for families to get together. Other supermarkets didn't have the courage to let it go, and also started opening. How long before their people are expected to work on Christmas Day? The dispute Asda workers had, fairly recently, was over Asda management wanting to remove a workers right to not work on a public holiday.

Two things to add to this about Aldi and Lidl starting the opening on festive holidays.

I think I'm right in saying that they wouldn't be permitted to open in Germany on such an important holiday for people. Big stores aren't allowed to open in Germany on Sundays as the government regard that day as a day when families should be able to get together.

If people in the UK didn't shop in these stores on NYD, they wouldn't open. Why can't the public give the same consideration as they expect to receive to enjoy their time off, and do without going to a supermarket for 1 day?

Jambo_jim2001
1 hour ago, SectionDJambo said:

Unfortunately, I think you'd find that even if the public knew how badly their employees were being treated at work, they wouldn't care less as long as they are getting something cheap. 

I may be wrong, but I think that it was Aldi or Lidl who started opening on New Year's Day, which has always been a traditional Scottish holiday for families to get together. Other supermarkets didn't have the courage to let it go, and also started opening. How long before their people are expected to work on Christmas Day? The dispute Asda workers had, fairly recently, was over Asda management wanting to remove a workers right to not work on a public holiday.

Two things to add to this about Aldi and Lidl starting the opening on festive holidays.

I think I'm right in saying that they wouldn't be permitted to open in Germany on such an important holiday for people. Big stores aren't allowed to open in Germany on Sundays as the government regard that day as a day when families should be able to get together.

If people in the UK didn't shop in these stores on NYD, they wouldn't open. Why can't the public give the same consideration as they expect to receive to enjoy their time off, and do without going to a supermarket for 1 day?

Asda are a right shower how they treat their employees seen the conditions that my brother is forced to endure😠 ,saying that majority of big business are terrible to work for in my own experience

SectionDJambo
4 minutes ago, Jambo_jim2001 said:

Asda are a right shower how they treat their employees seen the conditions that my brother is forced to endure😠 ,saying that majority of big business are terrible to work for in my own experience

The fun has gone out of a lot of jobs. Too much pressure and nonsensical trans Atlantic lingo instead of just letting people do their job and go home feeling good.

I’m glad I’m retired. 

Jambo_jim2001
5 minutes ago, SectionDJambo said:

The fun has gone out of a lot of jobs. Too much pressure and nonsensical trans Atlantic lingo instead of just letting people do their job and go home feeling good.

I’m glad I’m retired. 

Took early retirement too👍 used to be work to live,not live to work. I hated the relentless  corporate speak , folk who didn't have a clue about the work I did lording over me, funny though, I still get occasional email from them offering contracts🙄

kawasakijambo
13 hours ago, SectionDJambo said:

I think The people of Scotland were expected to work at least half a shift on Christmas Day in the 1950's.

Lone Striker

Not quite a seethe ........ but why do the TV adverts for  Kärcher  (the German pressure washer company) not pronounce it properly ?  The 2 dots above the letter a is an umlaut, which changes  the pronunciation to Kercher - yet the advert just calls it Karcher.    Are we considered too dumb to understand this simple concept ?        

12 minutes ago, Lone Striker said:

Not quite a seethe ........ but why do the TV adverts for  Kärcher  (the German pressure washer company) not pronounce it properly ?  The 2 dots above the letter a is an umlaut, which changes  the pronunciation to Kercher - yet the advert just calls it Karcher.    Are we considered too dumb to understand this simple concept ?        

https://youtu.be/Y8gOjasxxO0

Stuart Lyon

On my way to Haymarket I decided to get to the Meadows via S Lauder Rd as there are temp lights at the bottom of Kilgraston Rd which are causing congestion in Oswald Rd. I got to S Lauder Rd and saw a large group of people on bikes both children and adults about 60 yards ahead of me. Inevitably there were a couple of stragglers trying to get up the slight slope and i passed them giving them plenty of room. One of the children I passed was not cycling but using his/her feet to progress while the other one was being pushed by an adult. One of the adults ahead of me tried to convince me to turn left along Dick Place as there was a large group of people on bikes ahead of me. I declined their offer then an other one of them said there is a child on a bike inside of you (one of the stragglers had caught-up). I said I could see the child and kept going slowly as by this time 3 adults in the group were understandably dithering in front of me to slow my progress and protect the group ahead. I did  exchange a few words with them; no swearing or abuse and they declined to answer my question about their right to impede the traffic flow. Anyway a couple of minutes later I was able to turn left at the junction with Grange Rd and make my way to the  Meadows. My wife discovered that this is a "take you bike to school day" for Sciennes primary which is organised every now and then. How are other road users supposed to know this and take an alternative route? S Lauder Rd is part of the 24 bus route.

Stuart Lyon
9 hours ago, jonesy said:

My kids are at Sciennes. The anti-car mob have a very strong presence there. My kids mentioned that there was some kind of thing a few months back where folk came round the classes asking how each kid got to school. Apparently any kids who mentioned getting a lift were told how bad that was. Of course, no context was taken into account (e.g. parents needing to drive somewhere else after dropping them off). Of course, I do see some parents who drive their kids to school then drive home again when they could easily walk/cycle, but the blanket vilification of road users is par for the course around here, sadly.

When they implemented that road blocking thing outside the school, they also put up a website trying to promote more of those planters in a variety of roads leading in and out of The Grange. I put in a politely worded, genuine email to the organisers about how their plans, while well-intentioned, were likely to lead to congestion for those whose journeys were unavoidable and that reducing entry and exit points into the area was potentially more dangerous than keeping them open due to the large number of delivery vans and tradesman needing access to the area on a daily basis. Received no response.

There's very little 'live and let live' among the more ardent anti-car brigade. I remember an ambulance being unable to get past at Causewayside because of the cycle lane bollards and the cars literally having nowhere to go to get out of the way. My Extinction Rebellion/Green Party supporting colleague's response to this was, well the cars shouldn't be there at all, when I said that the delay could have cost a life. Puritanical, dogmatic lunatics.

That explains the attitude of the adults I encountered. Thanks for your post.

Harry Potter

Year 2022 and they cant get the volume of 2 tv programmes even close, as for recording the golf 

masters (3rd round) BBC, sunday morning, set it on Tivo box, programme before ran 12 mins late so missed the last 2 holes of the round, clueless, how difficult is it to get the time right.

Stuart Lyon

British Gas have increased my monthly DD by 129%! Robbing *******s supported by a corrupt government. Never any hint at taking a hit on profit which was nearly a billion last year. Oh and don't forget fire and rehire!

Went into the office for the first time in 2 years this week. Temperature started yesterday evening and positive test today. I’ve been so careful, I’m raging. 🤬

Harry Potter
2 hours ago, Helzibob said:

Went into the office for the first time in 2 years this week. Temperature started yesterday evening and positive test today. I’ve been so careful, I’m raging. 🤬

Hope you get better soon.

Just now, Harry Potter said:

Hope you get better soon.

Cheers. Don’t feel too ill so far so hopefully it’ll be a mild dose of it. 

Lone Striker
10 hours ago, Helzibob said:

Sod's bloody law, innit. 😟  Hopefully it's only mild  symptoms). 👍   

Harry Potter
1 hour ago, Steak said:

For anyone else back in the office... Does your company turn the heating on?

🥶

you do know its rather expensive now, and my work does.

Jambo_jim2001

Drunk driver wiped out street lamp,after just missing me walking my dog on the pavement,police phoned. Council arrive to make safe the street lamp before the cops arrive three and half hours later🤬 They then have the cheek to phone me to be a witness,coz the drunk driver after causing other mayhem for a hour after knocking down lamp is in his house not letting them in🤬 They can shove it🤬🤬 btw drunk driver is now missing both front teeth🤔😳

4 hours ago, Harry Potter said:

you do know its rather expensive now, and my work does.

When the companies make hundreds of millions of profits turning the heating on shouldn't hurt

Harry Potter
1 hour ago, Steak said:

When the companies make hundreds of millions of profits turning the heating on shouldn't hurt

very true.

Tinnitus.

I have to have the radio or music or something on all the time or it’s just a high-pitched whine.

Can’t enjoy silence anymore 🙁

1 hour ago, FWJ said:

Tinnitus.

I have to have the radio or music or something on all the time or it’s just a high-pitched whine.

Christ yes. People don’t get how bad it is. 

Jambo_jim2001
1 hour ago, FWJ said:

Tinnitus.

I use you tube to cancel noise out at night there's a fair few depending on what frequency your noise is at.

This one helps me👍

Edited by Jambo_jim2001

58 minutes ago, Jambo_jim2001 said:

I use you tube to cancel noise out at night there's a fair few depending on what frequency your noise is at.

This one helps me👍

👍

I use one of the propeller noises on YouTube.  BBC Sounds is good too because you can time it to go off after a few minutes.

2 hours ago, FWJ said:

Tinnitus.

Hellish illness mate

Postal notice through door item has been posted but you have to pay £2.50 for it to be delivered as unpaid postage went on-line got it delivered paid £2.50 for a 

SNP election flyer a  fecking SNP election flyer you are avin a Laff 

Harry Potter
25 minutes ago, Angel eyes said:

Postal notice through door item has been posted but you have to pay £2.50 for it to be delivered as unpaid postage went on-line got it delivered paid £2.50 for a 

deary me, anyway my seeth got overtaken by a fiat cicento on Craigs road, be lucky if its 60 BHP, hairdryer lol, some folk are in too much of a hurry.

1 hour ago, Harry Potter said:

deary me, anyway my seeth got overtaken by a fiat cicento on Craigs road, be lucky if its 60 BHP, hairdryer lol, some folk are in too much of a hurry.

The sporting model had 56 bhp and when doing 70 it felt like you were doing 150

Jambo_jim2001
2 hours ago, Angel eyes said:

images.jpeg

stupid samsung, just had my work phone replaced with a samsung A52s. end of the work day i go to switch it off, hold the power button, all it does is lcok the screen. after a google i find to switch it off you need to hold BOTH THE POWER AND VOLUME DOWN BUTTON

Dennis Reynolds

10 days worth of Roadworks/Tempory lights on the main street and exit of mines. Was only dug up a couple months ago after being completely shut and dug up in 2019. There's also more roadworks planned to start at some time before June about 200ft up the road. Thankfully I work from home so won't be as bad as it could be but it was a nightmare trying to get out already tonight.

31 minutes ago, milky_26 said:

stupid samsung, just had my work phone replaced with a samsung A52s. end of the work day i go to switch it off, hold the power button, all it does is lcok the screen. after a google i find to switch it off you need to hold BOTH THE POWER AND VOLUME DOWN BUTTON

I have a S20 and to turn it off you need to access the power option by swiping down from the top of the screen.

3 minutes ago, Dennis Reynolds said:

10 days worth of Roadworks/Tempory lights on the main street and exit of mines. Was only dug up a couple months ago after being completely shut and dug up in 2019. There's also more roadworks planned to start at some time before June about 200ft up the road. Thankfully I work from home so won't be as bad as it could be but it was a nightmare trying to get out already tonight.

Whitehouse Road is a shambles just now in the direction of Barnton Junction and is only going to get worse over the coming weeks due to additional closures.

1 hour ago, Sooperstar said:

I have a S20 and to turn it off you need to access the power option by swiping down from the top of the screen.

I've got a S20 too. If you go into the settings > advanced features > side key, you can set it so a long press on the side button brings up the power off screen.