Hearts on tv 70's quizball

dode

Can anyone remember a programme around 76/77/78 when Hearts were on a football skills programme I think it was at Ashton gate bristol,also any memory of our quizball experiences

Settle a debate at work

Cheers

Pretty sure Donald Ford excelled in those quizzes. Can't remember who else was in the Hearts team, though.

A present-day equivalent might not be such a good idea...

Horatio Caine

Pretty sure Donald Ford excelled in those quizzes. Can't remember who else was in the Hearts team, though.

Was George Miller not also in the team?

lost in space

I think Alan Anderson was also decent on this. Cant remember if the other player was Jim Cruickshank (who was only able to answer questions on horse racing) or Willie Wallace. I think the supporter was Gordon Jackson - the actor.

also any memory of our quizball experiences

We were beaten in the 69-70 final by Celtic, 3-1.

Hearts team of, D Ford, J Cruickshank and A Anderson, with Eric Brown the guest supporter.

(Info from Celtic Wiki site)

ming the merciless

Hearts came in at the last minute, to replace a team that was a no show (Arsenal mibbe?). Got to the final but lost. Also can't remember who we lost or who was in the team apart from Donald (legend) Ford. Good show though.

Quizmaster : "Who was George Mackay Brown ?"

Buzz

Jim Cruikshank : "Racing correspondent for the Daily Record ?"

Fact

Also ...

Quizmaster : "What is Vesuvius ?"

Buzz

John Greig : "An ice cream ?"

Also a fact.

Can anyone remember a programme around 76/77/78 when Hearts were on a football skills programme I think it was at Ashton gate bristol,also any memory of our quizball experiences

Settle a debate at work

Cheers

I vaguely remember a quiz called "Up for the Cup" which we won. At the time we had some reasonably erudite players (Billy Higgins was one) and they were supplemented by the actor Tom Fleming. Is that what you're thinking about or is it something different?

WorldChampions1902

Settle a debate at work

Cheers

You are correct on the first point re the event at Bristol City on the late 70's - I have the 'match' programme for the event lurking somewhere.

Settle a debate at work

Cheers

It was called all in the game

Hearts took part in the first series in 1976

Based on tricks and tasks a bit like Its A Knockout for Footballers

It was played at Bristol City's ground

There was a 2nd Series the following year with Alex Fergusons St Mirren the Scottish entrant.

I'm not sure if its true, but apparently Bristol City signed St Mirrens Tony Fitzpatrick on the back of his performance on the tv show

It was a football skills programme.

I can't remember the name of it but it was things like beat the goalie, balls through different scoring holes etc.

Hearts team of, D Ford, J Cruickshank and A Anderson, with Eric Brown the guest supporter.

Yip, can remember Eric Brown being on the show, used to frequent his pub in Dalry many moons ago, sure it's the same guy!

Francis Albert

Curious ... that link names Willie Wallace as the "racing correspondent" perpetrator ...

It was definitely Willie Wallace representing Celtic who answered the question about Garry Owen. He was also in a sense correct (after all it was the pseudonym of the Record tipster) although the Garry Owen the question referred to was a character on Rowan and Martin's Laugh In.

I do however vaguely remember Cruickie's strength in the Hearts team was also horse racing.

PS - in fact the question was about Gary Owens, who was the Rowan and Martins announcer

I can only just remember it being on.

Is that Eric Brown the person who had the pub in Dalry?

Yeah think he was a pro golfer IIRC :cool4:

Don't ask me I never saw it! :baby:

Only giving info I found with a quick Google search.

Of course, that's not to say that JC didn't also answer a question about George Mackay Brown with the answer I remember ...

Don't ask me I never saw it! :baby:

Only giving info I found with a quick Google search.

That is indeed Eric Brown

Yip, can remember Eric Brown being on the show, used to frequent his pub in Dalry many moons ago, sure it's the same guy!

Many moons ago I worked with Eric Browns daughter, she was married to Willie Bauld jnr.

I'm sure Eric Brown was a Ryder Cup captain in the 60s

Many moons ago I worked with Eric Browns daughter, she was married to Willie Bauld jnr.

I'm sure Eric Brown was a Ryder Cup captain in the 60s

Good shout mate

From memory, we were in more than one series of Quizball, and once had Tom (later Sir Tom) Fleming as our celebrity fan. He was good at the quiz, anyway.

Might have been in the team the year we got to the Final?

Archived