Farewell Sky Subscription - what's the alternative?

heartgarfunkel

heartgarfunkel

Nearly greeting as I love the old HD, 3D, apps on iPhone and macbook, Sky Atlantic, Babestation, remote record, Sky Sports, etc, etc. But upon phoning up & trying to cadge a discount I got a horrible ***** on the phone who seemed quite delighted to take me up on my offer to leave.

And now, the end is near...I need advice fellow KB'ers. Cable not an option here - what would you recommend? Freesat box? BT Visiion?

Did you ask to be put through to the disconnections team. It's only that department that can cut any deals.

I actually followed through and disconnected a few months ago. Got Virgin TiVo which was a pile of pish and within a week had a letter from Sky telling me it wasn't too late to cancel Virgin and come back. Another year of half price Sky sorted and Virgins kit boxed up and sent back in the post.

Moral of the story mate, call their bluff. They'll come scuttling back!!

B)

Cancel for a month. They will call you back within a month and offer you a year for ?35 for all the channels. My parents and brother have both done it since November.

Cancel for a month. They will call you back within a month and offer you a year for ?35 for all the channels. My parents and brother have both done it since November.

heartgarfunkel

Did you ask to be put through to the disconnections team. It's only that department that can cut any deals.

I actually followed through and disconnected a few months ago. Got Virgin TiVo which was a pile of pish and within a week had a letter from Sky telling me it wasn't too late to cancel Virgin and come back. Another year of half price Sky sorted and Virgins kit boxed up and sent back in the post.

Moral of the story mate, call their bluff. They'll come scuttling back!!

B)

Aye, it was the disconnections mob JyTees - may give it one last go. Part of me likes the idea of getting yon Humax Youview box that vega-voss mentioned & hooking it up to the satellite - no more subscriptions, ever. I'll miss the Sky Sports & 3D but got a 3D Blu-ray player with the telly so could get the occasional disc if I feel the need to get the goggles on! I'm sure some kind souls on here could point me subtly in the direction of watching telly on the computer! :thumb:

heartgarfunkel

That's a wad of cash they'll lose each month. Hold firm, as a previous poster said, they'll come back.

Let my subscription run out completely? Might hang off getting anything else in place for a wee bit yet!

Let my subscription run out completely? Might hang off getting anything else in place for a wee bit yet!

Cancel subscription and I'll guarantee you'll be quids in within a fortnight!

heartgarfunkel

Cancel subscription and I'll guarantee you'll be quids in within a fortnight!

Here's hoping! Cheers fellas :thumb:

The reason you probably never got offered any deals is because they know your area and know cable ain't an option so their happy to call your bluff.

The cancellation team don't always have deals available. It depends on a lot of variables apparently. If they have something available on the screen in front of them, they can and probably will offer it to you. You have 28 days in which to cancel your cancellation, but as others have said, you could be offered something in the meantime. This is offered from another team and according to the Mrs who works there, it is a source of frustration to those who work in the turnaround department, they want to keep you, they are measured on how many "saves" they make, but don't always have deals available for the specific customer they are dealing with....yet the customers she could have saved are brought back with deals after their bluff has been called.

Guest GhostHunter

If you got a horrible oik on the phone, you should phone back and ask to speak to the floor manager or supervisor.

Complain complain complain.

The cancellation team have had most of their abilities to keep customers and are being targeted on how much they give away to "keep" customers. Their focus has been changed from (almost) retain at all costs, to don't spend money on retention.

This was being talked about in October when I last apple to somebody I know in retention.

We've got Sky but then there is no other choice in our area. My folks in Bo'ness have got Virgin Media TiVO and TBH I think it's pretty gash. BT vision might be worth a shot as an alternative.

Me and my missus get those half price codes...as soon as it runs out I call to cancel and she calls with a new code- no questions asked.. had half price sky for the last 5 years.

heartgarfunkel

Cheers for further thoughts folks, I'll keep shottie for these codes, if anyone has any gie's a PM! :thumb:

I cancelled Sky last year and about a week later they phoned offering me half price for a year and a 1tb box for ?49 and a new hd box for the room.

Runs out end of Feb.I'll do the same again. Even with the half price deal I'm paying ?100 a month for tv ,Broadband ,Line rental ,calls ,2 multi rooms.

Last deal i got was the HD pack 1/2 price for 12months.

Tv Packs had 25% off.

I previously had the 50% off deal which was outstanding.

I found the best approach was to suggest that it was a bit too much to pay and play the "I'd like to keep it but the missus says not at this price"

The alternative view is to cancel like others have said. Sky do chase former customers with deals to come back.

Carl Fredrickson

Ive had Sky TV, phone and broadband in the past. But I was shelling out silly money and other than the sports, didnt really watch much else. The internet speeds were honking as they were "piggy backing" onto a BT line (their words, not mine).

Moved everything over to BT and the internet speed was 10x faster.

BT Vision is basically freeview with the ability to pause, record, rewind etc and a huge amount of free on demand TV and movies as well as some you can pay for. The kids on demand is amazing and Bagger Jnr loves it.

I have Sky Sports 1 & 2 along with ESPN so most of my football needs are met. Remember as from next season BT Vision will have a lot of EPL games as they won the rights to show a number of games.

Sky is a great TV package but I found the movie channels had the same movies on time after time after time.

The nature and history channels on Sky are great too - but again they are repeated way too often.

It all comes down to your viewing habits and cost.

Our full BT package comes in at around half the price of what we were paying Sky and it suits our family viewing.

Virgin aint an option out our way due to the lack of cable.

have a look online, you can get a sky box which is hooked to a IP address which allows you to get all the sky ch like the old black box from cable. You can pay between 200-400 as a one off cost tho.

If you don't go back to sky get a freesat box, ?30 from tesco if you want a basic one or a bit more if you want one which can record. Usual freeview package, nothing fancy. You can always get one of those netflix or nowtv thingies too for watching filums.

Oh and you still get babestation on freeview!

This is free on here though

http://www.filmon.com/#home

I've got virgin XL which is basically the HD package but without movies and sports ( except ESPN). Have to say the on demand service for virgin pee's all over anything else I've seen. Only now are sky catching up.

3D on demand, ESPN, 30 mb broadband and line rental/ free weekend and evening calls the whole shebang for ?73 per month.

If you can get virgin I would persevere! Took me about 3 months to get used to it and now wouldn't go back to sky

• 3 weeks later...
heartgarfunkel

Well the BT Humax Youview box arrived today - easy as **** to set up and absolutely top quality Great bit of kit for ?49, and all the telly you could watch for ?12.50 a month. It's even got an app for remote recording, Nae sport unfortunately but my brother's given me his sign in so i can watch sky sports on the xbox :cheese: Sky never bothered offering a discount so they can bolt for the next 12 months. The money saved on Sky will go towards a watching games in the boozer fund, happy days :thumb:

Day 2 at Sky and part of the induction has been the 'Corporate KPI's' and customer retention is very high on the list so I would expect an offer of some sort before the cancellation becomes irreversible!

Oh and before anyone else asks, I can't even arrange my own Sky package for another month and the first batch of friends and family codes that I get might and only might cover the folk I've had ask me already so if and when I have spare codes I will stick them on here!

Dean Winchester

Day 2 at Sky and part of the induction has been the 'Corporate KPI's' and customer retention is very high on the list so I would expect an offer of some sort before the cancellation becomes irreversible!

Oh and before anyone else asks, I can't even arrange my own Sky package for another month and the first batch of friends and family codes that I get might and only might cover the folk I've had ask me already so if and when I have spare codes I will stick them on here!

I can also get them if anybody needs them :)

As for the operator... I sat down a couple of months ago with some of the guys that take the calls at Livingston for the day and my god... It's no wonder you sometimes get operators who are obviously having a bad day... Some of the calls and abuse they get is unbelievable. People not paying their bills, phoning up to unload a bunch of abuse at the operator because their Sky has been turned off :lol:

I cancelled Sky last year and about a week later they phoned offering me half price for a year and a 1tb box for ?49 and a new hd box for the room.

Runs out end of Feb.I'll do the same again. Even with the half price deal I'm paying ?100 a month for tv ,Broadband ,Line rental ,calls ,2 multi rooms.

Your paying ?1200 a year to watch tv, use internet and phone!

Sounds a real bargain!

That's quite shocking to be honest!

Guest GhostHunter

Sounds a real bargain!

How much did you think it was ?

Mine is ?105 per month - unlimited fibre, talk and the whole sky package including Sky Go Extra.

Incidentally - grab Sky Go Extra if you can - 2 months free then a fiver a month, but it gives you 4 devices that can log in and use Sky Go. **

** unless you've got a rooted Android device, in which case, it doesn't work.

Damn You Su, Supersu.

jack D and coke

Sounds a real bargain!

It is amazing to me that people see this as some sort of value. Between my sky, my BT bill, my mobile and my daughters mobile it costs me just short of ?2500 a year. A few years ago none of us had any of this pish and didn't need it either.

We're all off our f***** heads.

It is amazing to me that people see this as some sort of value. Between my sky, my BT bill, my mobile and my daughters mobile it costs me just short of ?2500 a year. A few years ago none of us had any of this pish and didn't need it either.

Don't see how folks think they need it, there may shit loads of channels, but most of it is just shit or repeats.

I know people have their choices, but I couldn't justifying paying myself.

We would just waste it on something else instead.

I've got virgin XL which is basically the HD package but without movies and sports ( except ESPN). Have to say the on demand service for virgin pee's all over anything else I've seen. Only now are sky catching up.

3D on demand, ESPN, 30 mb broadband and line rental/ free weekend and evening calls the whole shebang for ?73 per month.

If you can get virgin I would persevere! Took me about 3 months to get used to it and now wouldn't go back to sky

This. I love my Virgin TV over Sky with the Music on Demand\Youtube etc through the TV.

If you know someone with Sky, get their SKy Go details & watch the matches on a PC or if you have TV that has internet capabilities, then you're laughing.

Mental how much folk pay for stuff like that. Just signed up for the free Netflix trial and have to say I'm happy with the selection I've seen so far. Will keep me amused for a while and then move onto the next free trial of something. That along with basic unlimited broadband deal, normal freeview and mobile contract with free sky swappable on my orange/ee does it for me. About ?50 all in, which I know some people just about pay for their iPhone contract alone.........

I live in a listed building, so have planning problems with a dish, and my street isn't cabled. Consequently, I have BT Vision, which is OK, but has some issues:

It only includes Sky Sports 1 and 2, so you don't get most of the SPL matches. That doesn't bother me, as I go to Hearts home games and to the pub or the match for Hearts away ones, and don't care about non-Hearts matches. However, it might be an issue for some.

You don't get the red button, so no choice of Champions League matches.

There are some on-demand HD films and TV programmes, but no HD channels with BT Vision. BT YouView includes the Freeview HD channels, but doesn't have any Sky Sports or ESPN, SD or HD.

I've not had great problems, but I've read a lot of complaints online from others about a software upgrade that they carried out late last year creating more problems than it solved.

Since last September, new customers have had to be in on an Infinity enabled exchange to get Sky Sports and ESPN. From 22 Feb, new customers wanting Sports also have to take Infinity. There's some speculation online that this will be extended to existing customers at some point. The suggestion is that these channels will be broadcast online rather than via Freeview and this will require, or at least give them the excuse to require, you to have fibre optic.

Dean Winchester

I can also get them if anybody needs them :)

As for the operator... I sat down a couple of months ago with some of the guys that take the calls at Livingston for the day and my god... It's no wonder you sometimes get operators who are obviously having a bad day... Some of the calls and abuse they get is unbelievable. People not paying their bills, phoning up to unload a bunch of abuse at the operator because their Sky has been turned off :lol:

That's the offer started again today :thumbsup:

Sounds a real bargain!

Considering I used to pay ?40 a month for just a phone line and calls with BT I think it's pretty good and as someone else has said you would only waste it on something else.

Brian Fantana

I would also be interested if there are any available? Moving house a week today and need to get tv, broadband etc sorted out

How much did you think it was ?

Mine is ?105 per month - unlimited fibre, talk and the whole sky package including Sky Go Extra.

Incidentally - grab Sky Go Extra if you can - 2 months free then a fiver a month, but it gives you 4 devices that can log in and use Sky Go. **

** unless you've got a rooted Android device, in which case, it doesn't work.

Damn You Su, Supersu.

I pay ?50 for unlimited fibre, talk and basic sky HD with an extra box (no need for Sky Go either but I have it).

I get unlimited movies and sports via my motorised satellite. :)

Damn you motorised satellite! :)

Victor Mancini

That's the offer started again today :thumbsup:

If there is any left I'd take one cheers :wink:

Archived