Loudest band ever

BigMDV

Mogwai.

Very very Loud and a bit pish at the Playhouse during the festival one year.

• Replies 115
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Tazio

• Dawnrazor

• Bridge of Djoum

• jb101

All roads lead to Gorgie

I saw Richard Ashcroft on a solo tour at the Corn Exchange and he was loud. Saw him supporting the Stones last year and he was still loud even in the open air. 

The Clash at the Playhouse were proper loud. I was near deaf for a couple of days. Saw the Sheepdogs a couple of years ago at a wee cafe place in Glasgow and my ears were sore during the gig.

On 17/01/2013 at 01:21, BigMDV said:

We all know it was The Who, and they lost the title to Black Sabbath

But currently its;

1st Motorhead

2nd Slade (on their comeback at the 1981 Reading festival)

3rd Deep Purple

Has this title been won since then?

J Cheever Loophole

I remember seeing Motörhead on the Tuesday/ Weds and my ears where still ringing at Tynie v Motherwell on the Saturday!

AC/DC at the Apollo in 78 & 79 also sticks out, fairly shifted the ear wax.

I'm glad to say for the sake of my hearing it wasn't me but a mate went to a festival and they had The Butthole Surfers, Swans, and My Bloody Valentine on the main stage in that order. He said it started painfully loud with the first band and then just ramped it up until the end of the night.

John Findlay

My eldest laddie Matt will swear the loudest gig he has ever attended was Status Quo at the Portsmouth Guildhall in 2001. Three days after that concert he said his ears were still ringing.

Bridge of Djoum
20 hours ago, All roads lead to Gorgie said:

I saw Richard Ashcroft on a solo tour at the Corn Exchange and he was loud. Saw him supporting the Stones last year and he was still loud even in the open air. 

Was the RA gig round about the time of the smoking ban, everyone just lit up anyway? If so, I was there. Excellent show.

Bridge of Djoum
21 hours ago, Sarah O said:

Mogwai.

Very very Loud and a bit pish at the Playhouse during the festival one year.

They were great when I saw them last year. Loud as ****!

Notbrainwashed

Loudest I heard was Oasis at Irvine Beach. Ears ringing for days.  I later found out their sound engineer was soon afterwards diagnosed as clinically deaf.

All roads lead to Gorgie
3 minutes ago, Bridge of Djoum said:

Was the RA gig round about the time of the smoking ban, everyone just lit up anyway? If so, I was there. Excellent show.

I had been to a few gigs there before the ban and you could hardly breathe for the smoke with the low roof. I always developed a sore throat after being at the CE. 

The Ashcroft gig was good but the crowd only really came alive with the Verve songs. Lots of drinking outside before so most came in late I seem to remember. 

Bridge of Djoum
2 minutes ago, All roads lead to Gorgie said:

I had been to a few gigs there before the ban and you could hardly breathe for the smoke with the low roof. I always developed a sore throat after being at the CE. 

The Ashcroft gig was good but the crowd only really came alive with the Verve songs. Lots of drinking outside before so most came in late I seem to remember. 

Yeah, I think I was at that gig. 

I saw him do a mostly acoustic set a few months ago in Central Park, he opened for Liam Gallagher. Same story with the Verve stuff, although ''A Song For The Lovers'' was a highlight.

All roads lead to Gorgie
8 minutes ago, Bridge of Djoum said:

Yeah, I think I was at that gig. 

I saw him do a mostly acoustic set a few months ago in Central Park, he opened for Liam Gallagher. Same story with the Verve stuff, although ''A Song For The Lovers'' was a highlight.

He has matured and plays some more mellow stuff now but he still has that swagger about him that stood out in the Verve days. 

Loudest i have been to was Judas Priest.

Felt my body falling apart towards the end as it struggled to cope.

Manowar are the record holders i believe. They hospitalised people in the 80s and 90s.

The Treasurer

Would say Ramones at the Odeon

Gig was on the Sunday, just about got normal hearing back around the following Friday

crunchy frog

Dinosaur Jr the venue 2006 -5 double Marshall stacks in a 500 or so capacity venue. Ears whistling for a week.

Killing Joke the network 1991 - horribly sexily loud.

Husker Du potterrow 1986- like a wasp was stuck in my brain for ages afterward

21 minutes ago, crunchy frog said:

Dinosaur Jr the venue 2006 -5 double Marshall stacks in a 500 or so capacity venue. Ears whistling for a week.

A wee secret for any who sees a lot of rock bands, Marshall will sell or hire empty cabs and amps for tours. So when you see someone like Angus Young with all the stacks only one actually works and has a mic in front of it. In actual fact a lot of bands, including AC/DC don't have any live amps on stage but have an acoustically isolated room under the stage with the amp in it so the mic isn't picking up any of the noise on stage and it means the guitars can run the amp at the level it needs to be to get good distortion without effects pedals. There is a great video on you tube where they get a load of guitarists to try out playing a Marshall at full in a room. I've played a Marshall 50w amp at full lick and it was shockingly loud. 

Check out the guy at 7'05" who forgot his earplugs and Phil X who plays for Bon Jovi at 12'00"

1 hour ago, crunchy frog said:

Killing Joke the network 1991 - horribly sexily loud.

With LOUD and Brain Damage supporting? 

crunchy frog
46 minutes ago, Dawnrazor said:

With LOUD and Brain Damage supporting? 

Yup. Coleman produced them then fell out with them

4 minutes ago, crunchy frog said:

Yup. Coleman produced them then fell out with them

I did about 5 or 6 full tours with LOUD and couple of half tours, I loved them, knew the singer when he was in New Model Army, that was a great couple of years for me, my favourite bands supporting my favourite bands???

Edited by Dawnrazor

bigladatthebackpost
On 08/01/2019 at 13:37, GlasgoJambo said:

Nice reminder. I was at that gig, was a lot of fun. Two rather contrasting bands! 1992?

It was! Just the 27 years ago then... ?Someone stage dived off the balcony. Absolutely mental. 

I am sure rush at ingliston back in the 80s played one of the loudest gigs ever.  For me acdc at playhouse in 82. Was only 8 and ears were ringing for about a week

Салатные палочки

Did Madness not cause an earthquake back in the early 90s at Finsbury Park? 

3 hours ago, Salad Fingers said:

Did Madness not cause an earthquake back in the early 90s at Finsbury Park? 

That wasn't so much the volume but the crowd jumping around.

Remember Deep Purple playing at the Edinburgh Odeon in the Mid Seventies and it was reported in the music press that it was the loudest in the UK for an indoor concert. A few weeks later the Who played the same venue and mentioned it at the start of the concert and said if you thought that was loud wait till you hear this and then broke the sound record that night. If I remember right I am sure Edinburgh Council put a cap on the sound limit at concerts after that show to stop it getting dangerous to peoples hearing. Great concerts though.

Edited by JAMBO1957

On 17/01/2013 at 12:30, Kalamazoo Jambo said:

That post is horribly disrepectful to the many drummers who died serving the cause of Spinal Tap :(

Someone Else's Vomit and the Damage Done...   

dawson.jpg

Rupert Custard

Motörhead, AC/DC at Glasgow Apollo were very loud as was Rainbow and Rose Tattoo at Ingleston but the loudest I’ve ever heard was UFO at the Apollo. That venue seemed to hold in the sound.

• 1 year later...

Lemmy once said, and I'm paraphrasing here, that he wished Motorhead 'could play as loud as Slade do and still sound that good'. Think it was after a Music Machine gig in London circa 1980/81

scott herbertson
On 17/01/2013 at 09:58, BigMDV said:

I always thought Spinal Tap was a made up band (like the Monkees) for the benefit of film/tv, shows how much I know :sad3:

I've seen all the bands I mentioned except 'the Who', and Slade were the loudest I've heard by a country mile,

I think it was around 1982 at the old Odeon in Clerk street

Odeon 1978 was the loudest band I have ever heard - UFO

My mate was an Usher at the Cinema there when we were both at Edinburgh Uni and he offered to get me in free. I had their earlier spacey albums UFO1 and F;ying (from 1970 and 1971) and didn't realised they had become far more heavy metal.

I couldn't understand when I got in why the stage was so much narrower then when they started warming up I realised the speakers were floor to the (very high) roof on either side

https://www.setlist.fm/setlist/ufo/1978/odeon-theatre-edinburgh-scotland-33c67c45.html

I was driven out after half a song and fled across the road to the pub to wait for my mate to finish work. Every time the pub doors opened you could hear the noise from across the road. It was ridiculously loud and I doubt if I could hear now if I hadn't left.

scott herbertson
On 18/01/2019 at 22:03, Rupert Custard said:

Motörhead, AC/DC at Glasgow Apollo were very loud as was Rainbow and Rose Tattoo at Ingleston but the loudest I’ve ever heard was UFO at the Apollo. That venue seemed to hold in the sound.

Just noticed you posted this - it must have been a regular thing (see my post above)

I P Knightley
On 17/01/2013 at 01:21, BigMDV said:

We all know it was The Who, and they lost the title to Black Sabbath

But currently its;

1st Motorhead

2nd Slade (on their comeback at the 1981 Reading festival)

3rd Deep Purple

Has this title been won since then?

Can't believe I missed this thread first time around. I once met Pet Townshend's brother, Paul, who told me that he'd been in a band in the '70s which had been measured as louder than The Who. The guy's ears were more effed than Pete's and he'd jacked in the music business to do decorating. Lovely bloke and you wouldn't have doubted he was his brother's brother.

Jingle Bells

Ted Nugent held the record for a long time.

For me, It was more the high pitch guitar playing that used to result in deafness  for a week or so back in the 1980s/1990s.  Bands such as Wishbone Ash, BOC and Uriah Heep.

Apart from that Anvil  were both very loud and crap at the same time.

saw anvil at bannermans just before the lockdown and they were very loud. as i have hearing problems nowadays i always wear ear plugs at gigs but they were still really loud.

Unknown user
14 minutes ago, tedarmy said:

saw anvil at bannermans just before the lockdown and they were very loud. as i have hearing problems nowadays i always wear ear plugs at gigs but they were still really loud.

They were loud but it's a very small space and easy to dominate.

Really enjoyable gig, Lips' stories were best of all.

4 minutes ago, Smithee said:

They were loud but it's a very small space and easy to dominate.

Really enjoyable gig, Lips' stories were best of all.

:thumbsup:

Jingle Bells
3 hours ago, tedarmy said:

Think that the headliners were Saxon or Motorhead or both through in Glasgow, so all was not lost.

Know what you mean about hearing. If there's any background noise  in the Pub, I cannae make out a thing anybodys saying.

Wouldn't change a thing though.

• 1 year later...

Uriah Heep.

November 1977.

Usher Hall.

My ears are still ringing.

Had to get out about 20 minutes into the concert.

I'm surprised that the roof didn't collapse.

I’ve not been to that many gigs over the years, would rather keep my cash for going to see the famous. However, out of my handful of gigs, the 1 that was surprisingly loud was seasick Steve at the usher hall about 4 years ago. My small gig collection includes Motörhead, anthrax and Metallica.