Loudest band ever

BigMDV

We all know it was The Who, and they lost the title to Black Sabbath

But currently its;

1st Motorhead

2nd Slade (on their comeback at the 1981 Reading festival)

3rd Deep Purple

Has this title been won since then?

• Replies 115
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Tazio

• Dawnrazor

• Bridge of Djoum

• BigMDV

Remember seeing Leftfield touring their first album. God that was loud. My head was mince for days after.

Though maybe that was entirely to do with the volume!

Ive seen hundreds of bands of all types starting back in the seventies including Black Sabbath and Motorhead.I think that technology has advanced over the years because P.As are a fraction of the size they used to be and you never see a guitarist standing on top of one..I always always wear in ear hearing protection when i go to see a band or play with mine.

Loudest gig I have heard so far was The Fun Lovin Criminals at Perth Town Hall.I was sat at the mixing desk and the bands sound guy smoked a large fat one all night and just kept turning everything up.

I once nipped into the wee recording studio/practice room at the bottom of the steps at Shandon and there was a local band playing called Hitcher.All the band members were wearing ear defenders and it was so loud that it would have been instant hearing damage.I left immediately.

I once nipped into the wee recording studio/practice room at the bottom of the steps at Shandon and there was a local band playing called Hitcher.All the band members were wearing ear defenders and it was so loud that it would have been instant hearing damage.I left immediately.

They were a great band, and I'm happy to say close, personal friends.

In answer to OP, nae idea.

Spinal Tap went up to 11. Beat that.

I always thought Spinal Tap was a made up band (like the Monkees) for the benefit of film/tv, shows how much I know :sad3:

I've seen all the bands I mentioned except 'the Who', and Slade were the loudest I've heard by a country mile,

I think it was around 1982 at the old Odeon in Clerk street

Being the loudest band isn't even some sort of achievement to be praised. What's the point in being painfully loud? Go beyond 110db and the music isn't even enjoyable, it just becomes painful.

Ozzy Osbourne at the Barrowlands I've heard some loud bands in my time ie Sabbath,Who, Purple etc but this was really,really loud! left the gig ma ears were ringing., brilliant gig as well.

ArmiyaRomanova

Swans at the venue 87 was loud

\

And how.

Pretty loud late last year at the Arches too - I left feeling pulverised by sound.

Had to walk around town for half an hour to clear my head, couldn't even walk properly.

Ears rang for days - at my age, not a good thing.

Fine show though. :thumbsup:

Gene Parmesan

Pretty sure the answer is Mogwai.

Saw them at the Usher Hall a few years ago and it was ear splitting.

Nobody has given the correct answer yet. Though a good shout with Leftfield, definitely one of the loudest I've ever heard.

And good to see it isn't just people naming their favourite metal band. People seem to think metal bands are the loudest bands in the world, they're not, they just love to talk about the size of their PA.

The answer to the question is Kiss, they reached 136db at a gig in Ottawa in 2009!

Loudest bands I've seen personally have to be either Gallows (apparently reached over 130db in the recording studio at times) or Ghost of a Thousand that left my ears ringing for the best part of a week after a gig at Bannermans!

Kalamazoo Jambo

I always thought Spinal Tap was a made up band (like the Monkees) for the benefit of film/tv, shows how much I know :sad3:

That post is horribly disrepectful to the many drummers who died serving the cause of Spinal Tap :(

Juan Rom?n Riquelme

My Bloody Valentine

Mogwai

I don't really see the point to be honest. There's a sweet spot for a gig where its noisy but audible and enjoyable and then there's just turning up and leaving with tinnitus.

Edited by Captain Haddock

Kalamazoo Jambo

Loudest for me was Dio at the Playhouse when I was a teenager. Stood pretty close to the speaker stacks and my ears rang for days afterwards.

Nobody has given the correct answer yet. Though a good shout with Leftfield, definitely one of the loudest I've ever heard.

And good to see it isn't just people naming their favourite metal band. People seem to think metal bands are the loudest bands in the world, they're not, they just love to talk about the size of their PA.

Would that be called PA envy?

Would that be called PA envy?

Yep, if you look at the Wiki page that Ribble got his numbers from nearly every band mentioned is a rock/metal type band apart from Leftfield.

Oh and the correct answer has already been mentioned. My Bloody Valentine. Without a doubt the loudest/most uncomfortable band I have ever seen. Though I have never seen Swans and that is meant to be pretty unpleasant.

The Clash at The Playhouse in about 83 was deafening. Wedding Present used to be pretty loud too. I've heard Gallows are mental loud but aint seen em live yet.

Here you go lads,the definitive answer;

Disaster Area, a plutonium rock band from the Gagrakacka Mind Zones, are generally regarded as not only the loudest rock band in the Galaxy, but also as being the loudest noise of any kind at all. Regular concert goers judge that the best sound balance is usually to be heard from within large concrete bunkers some thirty-seven miles away from the stage, whilst the musicians themselves play their instruments by remote control from within a heavily insulated spaceship which stays in orbit around the planet - or more frequently around a completely different planet.

Their songs are on the whole very simple and mostly follow the familiar theme of boy-being meets girl-being beneath silvery moon, which then explodes for no adequately explored reason.

Many worlds have now banned their act altogether, sometimes for artistic reasons, but most commonly because the band's public address system contravenes local strategic arms limitations treaties.

This has not, however, stopped their earnings from pushing back the boundaries of hypermathematics, and their chief research accountant has recently been appointed Professor of Neomathematics at the University of Maximegalon, in recognition of both his General and his Special Theories of Disaster Area Tax Returns, in which he proves that the whole fabric of the space-time continuum is not merely curved, it is in fact totally bent.

Disaster Area are fronted by Hotblack Desiato.

Saw the prodigy in the mid 90s and they were insanely load, couldnt hear much for at ;east a few houes after the gig and ive spent a long time standing next to cranked up amps in my days

Primal Scream got seriously loud as well after Kevin Shiels joined as well.

I remember seeing Saxon in the Playhouse in the 89's (don't judge me) and they were boasting they were touring the loudest PA ever.

It may have been but their engineer didn't use it to it's full capacity.

Primal Scream got seriously loud as well after Kenny Shiels joined as well.

I remember seeing Saxon in the Playhouse in the 89's (don't judge me) and they were boasting they were touring the loudest PA ever.

It may have been but their engineer didn't use it to it's full capacity.

Kenny Shiels !!!:)

I've been to a few gigs in my time but Bruce Springsteen at the SECC left a ringing sound in my ears and brain for most of the next day.

I once worked with someone who had worked the door at a venue in London where Swans played and he said the volume was one of the most horrendous things he had ever experienced. He said people were literally crawling around the floor and throwing up. Apparently the band were quite satisfied with this.

• 5 years later...
I P Knightley
On 17/01/2013 at 10:07, Ray Gin said:

Being the loudest band isn't even some sort of achievement to be praised. What's the point in being painfully loud? Go beyond 110db and the music isn't even enjoyable, it just becomes painful.

Agreed. And I think that, with hindsight (and tinnitus) Pete Townshend would agree as well. IIRC, the concert at the Den went to 130dB or so but that was in an age when The Who and other bands would do what they could just because they could. This is Spinal Tap was a great parody of the idiocy of it all. I don't see the point of having to go to a gig and put on ear defenders; not for the band, at least - for the daft Fokkers who sing along to every song being played, yes, although there's another solution for them.

Unfortunately, I grew up liking rock music and saw bands like Motorhead at the Odeon and AC/DC at the Apollo regularly. I'm sure my hearing would now be better if I'd spent my time at the Usher Hall listening to the Scottish National Orchestra!

bigladatthebackpost

MBV definitely get to uncomfortable levels, but **** Buttons definitely win in my book. Deafened me BEFORE Mogwai came on at the Corn Exchange a few years back. Then went to see Blanck Mass (one half of them) at the CCA in Glasgow last year and it may have been even noisier due to the confines of the 40ft black box we were standing in. Earplugs in a big box at the door. Without them it was just a chaotic blast but with them in it turned into a couple of sublime moments of machine groove. Maaaan. Still, I wouldn't rush back to see him but it was certainly "an experience". 4 of us went but there were only 2 left at the end. No one died, just went to the bar before they were sick from the abdomen-punishing bass.

Agree about metal bands not cutting it on the loud front. In my day I've seen Metallica, Slayer, Megadeth, Maiden, ACDC and a host of also rans at the Venue or Calton Studios and nothing comes close to the above.

Even EMF & Silverfish at the Queens Hall were louder...

Any small intimate venue with a rock type band giving it the beans is a brutal experience for yer lugs. Especially if the drummer thinks he's in with a shout of being the next drummer for the Foo Fighters!

I saw Saxon recently at the Barrowlands, not only very loud but nearly a 3 hour set.

Waysted at King Tut's was ****ing ridiculous, enough volume for the Playhouse never mind that dive.

I stood at the "desk" at a FLC concert at Perth Town Hall and the volume was incredible.The engineer smoked the biggest joint I have ever seen and systematically turned everything up as the concert went on.

The loudest gig I have been to is the Drive By Truckers at the Arches in Glasgow.

Blessing and a curse tour.

Motorhead at the Glasgow Apollo before that.

SWANS in the venue had people vomiting due to the volume. 

The early gigs the Fields of the Nephilim I was at were as loud if not louder than any gigs I've ever been to. 

2 hours ago, bigladatthebackpost said:

Even EMF & Silverfish at the Queens Hall were louder...

Nice reminder. I was at that gig, was a lot of fun. Two rather contrasting bands! 1992?