Snow on the way

Budgie.

• Replies 691
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Oxgangs is starting to look like Stalingrad.

But what about the snow? :whistling:

If its any consolation there is next to zero snow in an overcast Meadowbank.:)

My village this morning.

14869_4939061030903_1973479666_n.jpg

Has snowed a fair bit since, but it's not gonna cause any disruption, roads clearing with just a few cars running on them.

maroonlegions

While this article admits that NASA admits it could be wrong in its estimation of a possible "Mini Maunder" event or planetary cooling due to the lack of solar activity from the Sun,its still an interesting piece non the less.Hopefully solar activity on the Sun will gain momentum and get back to its normality.Mind you still waiting on the white oot, watch this we will probably get a roasting hot summer that will last more than a week. :cornette:

Is a Planetary Cooling Spell Straight Ahead? NASA: We May Be On the Verge of a ?Mini-Maunder? Event.

:thinking2:

quote;

"All climate scientists agree that the sun affects Earth?s climate to someextent. They only disagree about whether or not the effect form the sun is minor compared to man-made causes.

We noted in 2011:

This week, scientists from the US Solar Observatory and the US Air Force Research Laboratory have
? to their great surprise ? that the sun?s activity is declining, and that we might experience the lowest solar output we?ve seen since 1645-1715. The
it in dramatic tones:

What may be the science story of the century is breaking this evening.

Scientists who are convinced that global warming is a serious threat to our planet say that such a reduced solar output would simply buy us more time ? delaying the warming trend, but not stopping or reversing it.

On the other hand, scientists who are skeptical about global warming say that the threat is a new mini ice age. (Remember that scientists have been convinced in the past that we would have a new ice age, and even considered pouring soot over the arctic in the 1970s to help melt the ice ? in order to prevent another ice age. Obama?s top science advisor was one of those warning of a new ice age in the 1970s. And see this.)

NASA reports this week that we may be on the verge of another Maunder Minimum (a period with an unusually low number of sunspots, leading to colder temperatures):

Much has been made of the probable connection between the Maunder Minimum, a 70-year deficit of sunspots in the late 17
th
-early 18th century, and the coldest part of the Little Ice Age, during which Europe and North America were subjected to bitterly cold winters. The mechanism for that regional cooling could have been a drop in the sun?s EUV output; this is, however, speculative.

link;

Cycled home an hour ago.

I still can't work my toes properly! Bloody freezing outside.

Braver man than me!

Braver man than me!

I would have been fine but my cycling shoes have mesh panels at the front.

To keep your feet cool!! I thought two pairs of socks would have helped.

Doctor FinnBarr

No snow in Blackburn but its like the worlds biggest skating rink out there now and I'm not talking about the amount of dog shit covering the pavements

I don't mind the snow, but see these dark, mornings when it's -6 outside, they can GTF.

I'm willing to bet 5 shiny new pound coins, that there will be no major snow this weekend.

Saturday not looking too clever!

Nucky Thompson

Saturday not looking too clever!

It looks fine for Edinburgh on Saturday, plus 2 and white cloud

It looks fine for Edinburgh on Saturday, plus 2 and white cloud

The forecast on bbc this morning had heavy snow Saturday.

I'm sure they just forecast every scenario to cover their backs.

BBC website for Edinburgh

http://www.bbc.co.uk/weather/2650225

That's got light snow for Friday night/Saturday morning.

Out in the sticks there's snow off and on during the day on Saturday as well, according to BBC

Horatio Caine

Nice to see the winter break came in at the right time!

Wonder how many games will be postponed this weekend?

Working in Wrexham for the next week or so and it's started lightly here just now but a red weather warning has been given and they expect 25cm of snow.Hope I get snowed in.

Nucky Thompson

The updated forecast is that the snow is going to miss us apart from a few flurries here and there. If you stay in South Wales or the Midlands then you're fecked :10900:

Started snowing and lying on tranent. My cue to get he hell out before the roads become chaos. Just been on the blower to my mum and the west of Edinburgh is fine so fingers crossed it won't be too chaotic

Started snowing and lying on tranent. My cue to get he hell out before the roads become chaos. Just been on the blower to my mum and the west of Edinburgh is fine so fingers crossed it won't be too chaotic

Absolutely nothing in Musselburgh, but if it is snowing in Tranent I guess it will be here soon.

Absolutely nothing in Musselburgh, but if it is snowing in Tranent I guess it will be here soon.

Its stopped now so you might be ok

Edit:started again

Weather forecasters haven't got a fecking clue!!

Correct.

I think most of us could look outside, see what the sky was like, what way the wind was blowing and make a better fist of it.

Ach baws. I've been putting off going to the shops until Pointless is finished and now I'm going to get snowed on.

Release the Hounds?

Archived