Australian Open 2013

AWM

Nadal pulls out of Aussie Open with stomach virus

After multiple sources* reported that Rafael Nadal had pulled out of the upcoming Australian Open, the tournament confirmed that the 2009 champion withdrew from the tournament with a stomach virus.

"I am sorry and very sad to announce that I will not play in the Australian Open," Nadal said in a statement. "My knee is coming along okay, but a stomach virus has left me unable to get ready in time to tackle the rigours of a Grand Slam.

"Because of the virus, I have been unable to get any match practice and simply would not be doing myself or my friends in Australia justice if I went down there so unprepared. You need your body to be at its best for the Australian Open.

"It was a difficult decision and I am extremely disappointed to be missing such a great event. I love coming to Melbourne and playing on Rod Laver Arena before the Australian crowds. It brings out the best in me. It hurts to have to wait another 12 months before I get another chance. In the meantime, the focus is now on desperately trying to get back on the tour."

Nadal previously withdrew from this week's exhibition tournament in Abu Dhabi with a stomach virus, and has also pulled out of Doha, where he was scheduled to compete next week.

Doctors have advised that Nadal take a week-long period of rest without training, beginning today. He will then be examined and have an x-ray in four to five days.

?Rafa suffered last week a viral process that provoked a gastroenteritis with high fever for four to five days,? said Angel Ruiz-Cotorro, who heads Nadal?s medical team and is the director of the Mapfre Center for Tennis Medicine. ?Starting next week he won?t be in sufficient physical conditions to continue with his rehabilitation process.?

Rafa?s uncle and coach, Toni Nadal, added that there wouldn't be enough time for Rafael to properly prepare for the Australian Open.

?It is simply not conceivable that his first event is a best of five sets event, he wouldn?t be ready for that,? Toni Nadal said. "It is true we have been quite unlucky with this but there is nothing we can do. After all this time it is better to do things well and the most professional thing to do is to start when we are ready.?

Nadal has not played on tour since losing in the second round of Wimbledon to Lukas Rosol. He is targeting the clay-court tournament in Acapulco, in early February, as a return date.

Neil Harman?@NeilHarmanTimes

Nadal told me in Majorca last week his knees not 100%, would use Abu Dhabi as practice and if felt bad would not play AO. Then virus struck

Sounds like he's just decided to wait until the clay tournaments in South America in February before coming back. Wouldn't surprise me if he skipped the 2 hard court Masters events in Indian Wells & Miami in March and just stuck to the clay tournaments until the grass court season.

Poor Rafa - I think he'll struggle to be back. I hope that isn't the case, of course.

Bad idea starting a Slam thread - the only Slam that Murray won was because I started the thread :whistling:

I await Shaun's last 8 predictions riddled with obscure/unlikely names :whistling:

Sergio Garcia

I have thought all along he was going to solely concentrate on retaining the French Open this year, he knows he cant go up against Djok or Fed when not 100% and there is no point in sacrificing recuperating time by playing the Australian Open and risking further injury which could affect rest of the 2013 season and his defence of the French.

Correct decision and one we may see repeated for next few years if he can't ever get back to full fitness.

Mr Romanov Saviour of HMFC

Gutted for Nadal. Without a doubt my favourite sports man ever. What a competitor he is.

Poor Rafa - I think he'll struggle to be back. I hope that isn't the case, of course.

Bad idea starting a Slam thread - the only Slam that Murray won was because I started the thread :whistling:

I await Shaun's last 8 predictions riddled with obscure/unlikely names :whistling:

This is clearly Tipsy's time. NAP. :)

I'm not prepared to write Nadal off - this has happened before, and he bounced back to win Slam after Slam after Slam. But we've all got so used to the same four names contesting every major tournament that we've forgotten that, well, nothing lasts forever. As much as 2013 ought for all the world to be about Djokovic v Murray, I suspect we'll also see very clear signs of an imminent changing of the guard: tennis is brutally competitive, and it's only a matter of time as to when the next batch of gladiators break through really.

I P Knightley

Gutted for Nadal. Without a doubt my favourite sports man ever. What a competitor he is.

Like you, I was hugely disappointed to read the news. The prospect of having Nadal back at the Aussie Open was tantalising - in full (or near to full) flow, that would have guaranteed at least two storming matches in the tournie.

Hoping that he'll make it into a couple of the 1000s to get himself set for a strong summer.

A model sportsman.

This is clearly Tipsy's time. NAP. :)

I'm not prepared to write Nadal off - this has happened before, and he bounced back to win Slam after Slam after Slam. But we've all got so used to the same four names contesting every major tournament that we've forgotten that, well, nothing lasts forever. As much as 2013 ought for all the world to be about Djokovic v Murray, I suspect we'll also see very clear signs of an imminent changing of the guard: tennis is brutally competitive, and it's only a matter of time as to when the next batch of gladiators break through really.

Well, Tipsy just saw off the winner of the most recent Grand Slam tournament so the stars could well be aligning...

...as for a changing of the guard, there's not too many names bubbling under (apart from Tipsy, of course ;)). Del Potro's a name that should never have bubbled down; Berdych & Tsonga ain't going to consistently challenge; Ferrer's got a year left in him. I've liked the look of Raonic but wonder whether he has the intestinal fortitude to become really big; then, after that, who knows?

Djoko and Murray should spend the next 2 years really making hay. (I suspect Djoko more than Murray).

Chad Sexington

Thats a real shame. :(

I dont think he would have really threatened the other big 3 in this tournie but it would have been nice to see him back on court again.

Like you, I was hugely disappointed to read the news. The prospect of having Nadal back at the Aussie Open was tantalising - in full (or near to full) flow, that would have guaranteed at least two storming matches in the tournie.

Hoping that he'll make it into a couple of the 1000s to get himself set for a strong summer.

A model sportsman.

Well, Tipsy just saw off the winner of the most recent Grand Slam tournament so the stars could well be aligning...

...as for a changing of the guard, there's not too many names bubbling under (apart from Tipsy, of course ;)). Del Potro's a name that should never have bubbled down; Berdych & Tsonga ain't going to consistently challenge; Ferrer's got a year left in him. I've liked the look of Raonic but wonder whether he has the intestinal fortitude to become really big; then, after that, who knows?

Djoko and Murray should spend the next 2 years really making hay. (I suspect Djoko more than Murray).

There doesn't appear to be many names coming along to threaten the top 4. Obviously, players like Tsonga, Ferrer, Berdych and maybe even Tipsarevic can be in the reckoning, with younger players like Raonic and Nishikori starting to make a dent in the top 20.

Does Robin Soderling still have Mono? He looked like a decent threat a few years ago.

There doesn't appear to be many names coming along to threaten the top 4. Obviously, players like Tsonga, Ferrer, Berdych and maybe even Tipsarevic can be in the reckoning, with younger players like Raonic and Nishikori starting to make a dent in the top 20.

Does Robin Soderling still have Mono? He looked like a decent threat a few years ago.

Doesn't sound too good for Soderling.

Soderling unsure of tennis future

Former Roland Garros finalist Robin Soderling tells ESPN.com that he doesn?t know if he will ever play professionally again. The 28-year-old has been battling mononucleosis since the summer of 2011.

?The hope, the hopelessness, then the hope again, then the hopelessness -- that really kills me,? Soderling said. ?I feel really good, then I start to practice, and then I think maybe in a couple of months I can come back and I really believe it. Then I do a bit too much and wake up one morning not feeling well again.?

One medical test on Soderling revealed that his thyroid wasn?t functioning properly, leading to extreme fatigue. The Swede said he began to feel very sick in last summer, and may have overexerted himself.

?Wimbledon was not good at all,? said Soderling, who was upset by Bernard Tomic there last year. ?I was vomiting in the morning and I had a fever. I don?t know why I played. But then it?s Wimbledon and you want to play, and that?s what you?ve done your whole life. You?ve pushed away your feelings of tiredness and tried harder.?

Soderling added that three weeks later, after winning the title in Bastad for the first time, he ?got really, really sick.? His longtime partner, Jenni Mostrom, recently gave birth to their daughter, Olivia.

?I don?t want my career to be finished yet,? he said. ?I feel I have at least five more years in me.?

• 2 weeks later...
I P Knightley

Another name 'coming up' is this fella Dimitrov who Murray saw off in Brisbane and looked good throughout the tourney. However, he hasn't achieved half as much by his age (21) that the top 4 (plus Delpo) had. I think I'm right in saying that of those 5, Federer was the latest of the late bloomers with his first Masters win coming when he was 21.

Can't believe I've actually watched that!! Amazing that the Aussie commentators still get so horny about Leyton Hewitt's prospects.

All's set well for a Murray v Djoko (or Tipsy) final.

Can't believe how long that took.

Murray V Robin Haase in first round

Federer could play Davydenko in the 2nd round and either Tomic or Raonic in the 3rd.

Seeded Quarters

Djokovic v Berdych

Ferrer v Tipsarevic

Del Potro v Murray

Tsonga v Federer

Chad Sexington

I'll be looking to get tickets for Murray's first round match. Does anyone know when you find out when he plays?

I P Knightley

Can't believe how long that took.

Murray V Robin Haase in first round

Federer could play Davydenko in the 2nd round and either Tomic or Raonic in the 3rd.

Seeded Quarters

Djokovic v Berdych

Ferrer v Tipsarevic

Del Potro v Murray

Tsonga v Federer

Thankfully, I only tuned in just as they dropped Ferrer into Djoko's half.

Tomic appears to be steadying himself a little so might make a good match against Fed, with a proper, supportive home crowd behind him. I hadn't noticed Raonic in the same section - makes for a very interesting first few days.

Geoff Kilpatrick

I hope idiots who try and park in our works car park to then take the tram down to Melbourne Park will enjoy getting towed away. :verysmug:

Geoff Kilpatrick

I'll be looking to get tickets for Murray's first round match. Does anyone know when you find out when he plays?

Channel 7 will want Murray in primetime on the Rod Laver. I'm guessing Day 2 or 3 based on that.

Chad Sexington

Channel 7 will want Murray in primetime on the Rod Laver. I'm guessing Day 2 or 3 based on that.

Ahh. Bummer. I was hoping he's be on during the day. Night time aint great for me as I'm outside Melbourne. :(

Jamie Baker qualifies for the Australian Open and will play Lukas Rosol (guy who beat Nadal at Wimbledon) in the 1st round.

I P Knightley

Jamie Baker qualifies for the Australian Open and will play Lukas Rosol (guy who beat Nadal at Wimbledon) in the 1st round.

2 Scots in the men's draw - until Tuesday at least!

What happened to Ward? I thought he had his final qualie today as well.

edit: Found it. Pumpded oot in straight sets.

Order of play for Monday, Jan 14:

Rod Laver Arena: 11:00

Olga Puchkova (Rus) v (2) Maria Sharapova (Rus)

Kai-Chen Chang (Tpe) v (9) Samantha Stosur (Aus)

(1) Novak Djokovic (Ser) v Paul-Henri Mathieu (Fra).

19:00

Lleyton Hewitt (Aus) v (8) Janko Tipsarevic (Ser)

(13) Ana Ivanovic (Ser) v Melinda Czink (Hun)

Hisense Arena: 11:00

(25) Venus Williams (USA) v Galina Voskoboeva (Kaz)

David Goffin (Bel) v (22) Fernando Verdasco (Spa)

(15) Dominika Cibulkova (Svk) v Ashleigh Barty (Aus)

(4) David Ferrer (Spa) v Olivier Rochus (Bel)

Margaret Court Arena: 11:00

(6) Na Li (Chn) v Sesil Karatantcheva (Kaz)

Bojana Bobusic (Aus) v (4) Agnieszka Radwanska (Pol)

(23) Mikhail Youzhny (Rus) v Matthew Ebden (Aus)

Casey Dellacqua (Aus) v Madison Keys (USA).

19:00: Albert Ramos (Spa) v (28) Marcos Baghdatis (Cyp)

Show Court 2: 11:00

(18) Julia Goerges (Ger) v Vera Dushevina (Rus)

Michael Russell (USA) v (5) Tomas Berdych (Cze)

(5) Angelique Kerber (Ger) v Elina Svitolina (Ukr)

(11) Juan Monaco (Arg) v Andrey Kuznetsov (Rus)

Hewitt v Tipsy is a decent match for the first round. Can't wait for this to start now.

Only a minor obstacle in Tipsy's path to the semi final, no doubt :whistling:

I P Knightley

I'm guessing many shots of "Bec" have been aired.

I trust you don't have a problem with that?

Bec-Hewitt-150x150.jpg

That said, I had to scroll through Google images for a few lines before finding something presentable of her. Shame that Roddick's retired.

Geoff Kilpatrick

I trust you don't have a problem with that?

Bec-Hewitt-150x150.jpg

That said, I had to scroll through Google images for a few lines before finding something presentable of her. Shame that Roddick's retired.

Meh. She is still Hayley from Home And Away in my mind.

I P Knightley

Meh. She is still Hayley from Home And Away in my mind.

Never seen Home and Away so she's really just a pair of paps to me. ;)

Back to the tennis - JKB's favourite, Tipsy, has weathered the storm and broken back 3 times to take the second set although Hewitt just won't go away and is on the verge of levellin up breaks in the third set.

Here's Tipsarevic's girlfriend; clearly he deserves to make the second round.

suncica-travica_01.jpg

Murray on first on Laver on day 2. midnight tonight for us.

When I read that, the first thought I had was "hey, that gives me time to get home and have a sleep then get up again for the match".

NO. I must not allow this tournament to ruin my already mangled sleeping pattern.

(But I probably will.)

Mr Romanov Saviour of HMFC

Murray on first on Laver on day 2. midnight tonight for us.

:pleasing:

I've missed the tennis.

Very interesting to see how Murray is mentally now that the next level has been reached.

When I read that, the first thought I had was "hey, that gives me time to get home and have a sleep then get up again for the match".

NO. I must not allow this tournament to ruin my already mangled sleeping pattern.

(But I probably will.)

One of the few sporting tournaments when the time difference works in my favour. :pleasing:

One of the few sporting tournaments when the time difference works in my favour. :pleasing:

If only I was any good at not looking at scores/recording things and watching later, it would save me weeks of looking like a zombie. :oldsad:

I did download the Eurosport Player and spent the princely sum of ?2.99 on a month's subscription so that I can watch on iPhone. I'm not sure that tennis matches are going to result in tolerable data charges either though.

Murray has a tough draw likes. Absolutely no room for error tonight especially. Only takes a single ounce of complacency with this new grand slam winner mentality and the dream will be over. Having said that, I can't see Murray losing.

JamboCampbell

I reckon murray v djokovic final as will probably be the case for all 4 majors and they are about the same level now! Murray will win a major this year, i honestly think its a case of how many too! Having said that, federer is federer and you cannot write hin off! But i still reckon its murray and djokovic who will take them!

Gavsy Van Gaverson

I reckon murray v djokovic final as will probably be the case for all 4 majors and they are about the same level now! Murray will win a major this year, i honestly think its a case of how many too! Having said that, federer is federer and you cannot write hin off! But i still reckon its murray and djokovic who will take them!

I'd be amazed if Murray got to the final of the French. He's got a great chance in the other 3 though.

Chad Sexington

Looking forward to this one.

A nice civilised 11am start here. Its due to be 29? and sunny so it will start getting a bit warm on court. A five setter is definitely best avoided.

Hopefully Andy will take care of him in a couple of hours then I can spend the rest of the afternoon poolside. ;)

If only I was any good at not looking at scores/recording things and watching later, it would save me weeks of looking like a zombie. :oldsad:

I did download the Eurosport Player and spent the princely sum of ?2.99 on a month's subscription so that I can watch on iPhone. I'm not sure that tennis matches are going to result in tolerable data charges either though.

Do you not need to subscribe for a year to get it at that price? I was thinking of doing it too.

That, alas, is almost impossible in this day and age.

I'd save the late nights for the quarters and semis unless you want to look like a Royal portrait.

Do you not need to subscribe for a year to get it at that price? I was thinking of doing it too.

Nope, it's a recurring monthly charge but all you need to do is go into app settings and change it from auto recurring charge to a one-off. Dead straightforward, it even tells you how to do it once you've bought the month's subscription.

Looks like you can choose from nearly any game on any court too.

Can't wait until the semi's and final. BBCs coverage is soo much better than Eurosports.

Although their online player thing looks good.

That, alas, is almost impossible in this day and age.

I'd save the late nights for the quarters and semis unless you want to look like a Royal portrait.

:biggrin:

After saying that earlier it's now totally going to look as if I napped after dinner on purpose... but I just happened to wake up at match kick off time... Now all awake at midnight, oops.

I didn't actually plan this. I've been ill and my sleeping pattern was buggered because of that anyway. Oh well. May as well watch since I'm up...

Archived