Mince & Tatties

ArcticJambo

Just wondering ... Is this still a regular weekly meal for most ? As a kid growing up I remember my mum making it on a weekly basis .... loved it; still do. :thumbsup:

Mrs AJ has it on the go just now ... may actually be our kids favourite meal.

Curious to whether we could gauge from JKB whether this meal is still a popular dish in Scotland.

.... and, mash the tatties or just cut them into small bite (decent bite mind) chunks ?

I like to go for boiled fatties and the mash them down with my fork. Hardly ever do them myself so a treat when I visit my mum and she makes it.

I like to go for boiled fatties and the mash them down with my fork. Hardly ever do them myself so a treat when I visit my mum and she makes it.

Animal.

AJ - what kind of minced meat do you use? Is it baby seal? :curtain:

:crowngrin: Nahh, good old bolt-gun wasted lean cow. Young polar bear might be about the closest.

Mmmm, about to tuck in now ... kids already at table so better get a shift on, the wee ravenous urchins.

Cannibals

... and when you've arsed the first plate, the remaining mince gets spread on bread, with a scarting of butter.

Mince and Tatties last night. Luverly.

She's a weirdo vegetarian so I made a wee shepherd's pie with the leftovers and had that tonight. :thumbsup:

Always remember mince and tatties at my nans. Always with beans on the side. Boiled tatties not mashed.

Beans with mince?

That's just wrong :boak:

I just mentioned to the wife recently we had not had mince and tatties for quite a while. Must be mashed potatoes, flatten them out then create a bowl type configuration with the tatties, fork the mince into the bowl, cut out a side , then make sure while eating that the mince isn't able to flood out of the potato bowl. O.K O.K O.K I know but when I was a kid we had no TV, iPods or X box so the mince and tatties at dinner provided another source of simple entertainment. Some of us were easy pleased. :10900:

I prefer to make a cottage pie. (I know, basically mince and tatties) I prefer the mash slightly browned and crispy on top. :)

Jambof3tornado

Beans with mince?

That's just wrong :boak:

The wife thought so too when I made it. She thought peas would have adorned the plate.

Just wondering ... Is this still a regular weekly meal for most ? As a kid growing up I remember my mum making it on a weekly basis .... loved it; still do. :thumbsup:

Mrs AJ has it on the go just now ... may actually be our kids favourite meal.

Curious to whether we could gauge from JKB whether this meal is still a popular dish in Scotland.

.... and, mash the tatties or just cut them into small bite (decent bite mind) chunks ?

Mince and tatties is an utterly bland and rubbish scran. Not had it once since I moved out from my parents house many years ago.

Thirded on the boiled tatties, mashed down with your fork.

Also, kudos to Arctic Jambo for the bread and butter "mop up" operation at the end.

Not had mince and tatties for years.

:sob:

I like it with white pudding through it.

And another shout for Tazio's tattie technique.

I have them about once a week. I've never heard of the white pudding but that sounds good.

The only way I get adventurous is by putting carrots in with the mince!

I brown the mince, add tomato puree, onions, and two secret ingredients, worcester sauce and HP sauce, it gives it a good kick!!!

My mate who spent his formative years in Glasgow described the mince from the M&T he was served there as 'grey' mince. Being married to a Glaswegian I know what he means. No gravy salt used among other things. I put up with it but I long for a plate of M&T like my mum/grannies used to make. Oh and there is nothing like a mince piece/roll or toastie.

The wife thought so too when I made it. She thought peas would have adorned the plate.

You're wife knows the score then, peas or carrots, even green beans at a push :thumbsup:

Never had mince pie with beans?

I've never had a mince pie with mince ;)

heartgarfunkel

Am thinking that mashed down roast tatties would be worth a try - liking the idea of the flavour & texture of the bits of tattie skin. Arctic Jambo, I'm all for the bread, but as a plate mopper upper, preferably plain breid! In an ideal situation I'd be washing it down with several glasses of Belhaven 80 shilling, Stewart's Copper Cascade, or a Border Brewery Game Bird.

Brian Whittaker's Tache

Mince and tatties should have doughballs in them, it's the law!

Never cook them for myself but something my mother makes for me every time I visit! Mines will never match up!

BoJack Horseman

Ludicrous statement , peas & carrots in mince are key. :verysmug:

Your childhood must have been shite.

Brown the mince, bit of Bisto beef gravy, beef stock and Worcester sauce. ******* amazing.

Mash my tatties though. Got to use real butter and a splash of full fat milk when you're mashing them though

BoJack Horseman

Brown the mince, bit of Bisto beef gravy, beef stock and Worcester sauce. ******* amazing.

Mash my tatties though. Got to use real butter and a splash of full fat milk when you're mashing them though

My type of guy.

Boiled tatties and mash them with yer fork! It's the only proper way to do it.

Dumplings too... (all of you I mean)

Jambof3tornado

I brown the mince, add tomato puree, onions, and two secret ingredients, worcester sauce and HP sauce, it gives it a good kick!!!

That's some SECRET recipe!!!

I use butter and a raw egg in my mash

You'd eat this?

really-fat-man.jpg

Eldar Hadzimehmedovic

Folk who don't like mince and tatties must hate their mothers. It's the only explanation. See a therapist, guys.

i do this, but instead of the milk i put a tablespoon of creme fraiche in my tatties

17 hours for a typo to get picked up on. Surely a JKB record?

It was picked up 5 minutes after your post. Then again 17 minutes after your post. No records here, I'm afraid.

It was picked up 5 minutes after your post. Then again 17 minutes after your post. No records here, I'm afraid.

Jesus I'm getting slow. I thought people were just particularly offended at my tattie technique. I didn't even see the typo as I was on my phone and need new specs.

Archived