Hot Sauces

The Comedian

All roads lead to Gorgie

Love wasabi but it's not spicey in the same sense as the stuff mentioned here.

It is difficult to describe but is more like a cold kick that takes your breath away rather than a burning experience.

• Replies 154
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• luckyBatistuta

• IronJambo

• Ribble

• gordiegords

Its as much to do with the extract used as well. Tbh, I've never ever tried a sauce and thought it was hotter than one that had a few more million scovilles. Never ever.

Do you buy all your sauces online without getting a chance to try them? Get the feeling you'd be like a kid in a sweet shop if you got through the door in one of these shops

I never get to try them first, where are these shops? Can I try them first? For me it also depends what other ingredients are in the sauce, paprika, cayenne pepper, lime etc.

Carl Fredrickson

I never get to try them first, where are these shops? Can I try them first? For me it also depends what other ingredients are in the sauce, paprika, cayenne pepper, lime etc.

Stalls at farmers markets will let you sample them first - I am sure others will let you know what shops do too.

They're few and far between. Basically just like one of the online sites on the highstreet and they have loads of sauces open with bits of pitta or cracker that you can try them on. I go to Chilli pepper Pete's in Brighton (previously fiery foods) and another one (can't remember the name) in bristol when I get a chance. They're good fun. Fell into a good one in new Orleans earlier in the year (pepper palace) as well.

I don't ever buy one I've not tried unless it's just an altered version of one that I know.

I tried a chilli sauce at a food fair in Cardiff a few years ago... Made my eyes water... Never again...

Used to like spicy food not now. Must be an age thing.. :cry2:

Noone tried the kismot killer then? Had the hottest Phal a few years ago, eyes streaming, not that tasty, just heat.

Noone tried the kismot killer then? Had the hottest Phal a few years ago, eyes streaming, not that tasty, just heat.

Where'd they serve that up? I think I'd avoid like the plague as I'm sure I wouldn't enjoy it if it's mega hot.

I've found my ideal heat with Indian and I try not to go beyond it these days.

Think it's at the kismot restaurant in Edinburgh, if you can finish it you get it for free, fancy giving it a whirl? I'm up for it.

HampdenHearts

I'm a complete bender when it comes to spicy stuff. Tried the extra hot nandos peri peri, it ruins your meal.

Obviously everybodies taste buds differ but it makes your meal unenjoyable splashing it with all this tripe.

The Old Tolbooth

41.jpg

Currently enjoying this, one drop at a time. It's hot obviously, but it's smokey and smooth too. Just picked it up in Tesco. I saw the ghost pepper one too, but I think that's a bit extreme for me!

That's the fella I've got in the house, tried it once and it blew my box off! :1092:

I usually just buy Cholula, Tabasco and Louisiana Jalapeno green sauce but I find while they all taste great, they're just not hot enough.

What is one notch above these industry standard ones? I don't want some stupid hot thing that's inedible but hot enough to hurt a wee bit.

Suggestions?

as other have said try the naga pastes. had some at a mates a wee while ago and its lovely stuff.

I'm a complete bender when it comes to spicy stuff. Tried the extra hot nandos peri peri, it ruins your meal.

Obviously everybodies taste buds differ but it makes your meal unenjoyable splashing it with all this tripe.

It's a pleasure/pain thing.

I usually just buy Cholula, Tabasco and Louisiana Jalapeno green sauce but I find while they all taste great, they're just not hot enough.

What is one notch above these industry standard ones? I don't want some stupid hot thing that's inedible but hot enough to hurt a wee bit.

Suggestions?

Try having a look at the ones in the medium section, and the tamer end of hot here http://www.chillipepperpete.com/content/sauceshome

Thing to remember if you're putting it in cooking sauces or soups is that you can control the overall heat with putting less in (start with a couple of drops). I wouldn't recommend you use the hot ones to dip kettle chips in as they'd blow your head off. You could add a few drops to a salsa though and you'd really notice it.

Cream cheese and natural yogurt are good to have around if you're experimenting because they can bring the heat right down for you.

Shanks said no
img_0163.jpg?w=768Excellent Hot sauce I have often used in Egypt, the lovely young waiter we had Daewweed was kind enough to allow us to take a bottle home

Chaka Demus & pliers

You can get this from Chinese Supermarkets:

ASH104.jpg

Fantastic :thumbsup:

Is this stuff similar to the stuff you'd get on your typical kebab?

\

Step up from tabasco would be something based/made with Birds eye or piri piri chilli's, next up again would be Habanero based then after that you would be onto Scotch Bonnet and some of the Naga's!

Only just read this, sorry to be a pedantic erse but haberno's are stronger than scotch bonnets. They were the hottest chilli we had until the naga was discovered. I absoloubtly love scotch bonnets though and I cook with them all the time, they've a perfect heat with flavour to go with it.

Is this stuff similar to the stuff you'd get on your typical kebab?

It's a little bit thicker and stronger, but pretty similar.

Have you tried the new Heinz range?

I've just bought the Green Jalapeno one, Its no bad. There's something funny about it though, Almost a hint of sweetness wich is don't like in hot sauces. Dave's Jalapeno sauce is better.

Hot_Sauces.jpg

I love the yellow habanero one. It's hot, but not so hot that it spoils your food. My only complaint is that they're a wee bit on the runny side.

Bought a bottle of this aswell. Top notch stuff. Spicy as **** and tasty at the same time.

SGN590.jpg

This one always does the trick for me

cpp-satans-shit.jpg

So I finally tried the Santa's Shit variety at the weekend. I was a little disappointed to start with after seeing people hit the deck almost instantly with this stuff on youtube. I thought it might burn like hell on contact but it tasted very fruity to start with then the burn built up slowly. Only thing being, is the heat just kept on building up. It topped out when my lips felt like they were blistering and my toungue felt like it had been stung by several wasps. It was oddly satisfying but strangely enough I didn't reach out for more :cheesy:

The morning was interesting as I was on the loo no less than 4 times before 12 noon, without even eating in the morning. I'm not sure if I can blame this sauce or the extra spicy kebab I had in East London on my way home. Sadly I never had a burny bum.

In conclusion, it was an interesting experience but Santa can keep his shit all to himself from now on in.

• 1 month later...

Have you tried the new Heinz range?

Hot_Sauces.jpg

I love the yellow habanero one. It's hot, but not so hot that it spoils your food. My only complaint is that they're a wee bit on the runny side.

The yellow one is outstanding. Pour it over cheese on toast...

:wow:

• 6 years later...

Not sure if this is the latest of all the hot sauce threads but I don't suppose it matters.

I think I've just found my best ever.    Encona - Carolina Reaper Chilli.     ****ing tremendous gear.

:omfg:

luckyBatistuta
On 01/12/2012 at 15:19, The Comedian said:

Suggestions? I've tried these...

tumblr_m9ubolUXPz1qzdy9vo1_500.jpg

&

Nandos-Extra-Hot-Peri-Peri-Sauce.jpg

I've used them in pieces and curries etc. The Peri Peri one was really good, the other less so.

I certainly wouldn’t buy anything with Nando’s on it. There food in their restaurant is shit and their sauces are nothing to write home about either. Only went back a second time because we were given a voucher and maybe, just maybe we were unlucky the first time. Sadly, it was the same again and their hottest sauce has ? ? ? all over it, but is weak as.

23 minutes ago, luckyBatistuta said:

I certainly wouldn’t buy anything with Nando’s on it. There food in their restaurant is shit and their sauces are nothing to write home about either. Only went back a second time because we were given a voucher and maybe, just maybe we were unlucky the first time. Sadly, it was the same again and their hottest sauce has ? ? ? all over it, but is weak as.

The top one is my hot sauce of choice.

21 minutes ago, iantjambo said:

The top one is my hot sauce of choice.

And mine, funnily enough its brilliant for boneless wings.

Edited by Jamboelite

Joey J J Jr Shabadoo
8 hours ago, jonesy said:

Ditto.

Been using it on my omelettes. Excellent stuff. Not particularly spicy, but does a good job for everyday stuff. 

Hottest thing I've ever tried was a pepper sauce a friend from Las Vegas brought over. We piled it into a pot of chilli con carne. After two mouthfuls, we were dunking our heads under the cold tap. The stuff just made you sweat and hallucinate. Unbelievable. 

BTW, does that bit at the top say 'superschart'? Is that the effect of too much of the stuff? :)

:lol:

Yes, not too hot, but tastes great. Excellent on potato scone, black pudding and a poached egg. 

Love Frank's still but there was once where it was a bit much. Now I go through a bottle in 2 lunch breaks if I'm having wraps.

Bird got me some hot sauces for Christmas, and going through a phase of chilli oils now too. Even she's getting into hot stuff.

Anyone get any of the Crucials range? Their sauces are good and they used to do a lovely hot chilli sauce but haven't seen it in a few years now. Always find chilli and garlic, but I'm not as keen on that. More garlicky than hot.

An chilli extract, rather than a sauce, but I've had some of this stuff for over a year. I'm too scared to use it though. I opened it, thinking I was being careful, to have a look and somehow some found it's way to my eye.?

Psycho_Serum.jpg

7 hours ago, Locky said:

Love Frank's still but there was once where it was a bit much. Now I go through a bottle in 2 lunch breaks if I'm having wraps.

Bird got me some hot sauces for Christmas, and going through a phase of chilli oils now too. Even she's getting into hot stuff.

Anyone get any of the Crucials range? Their sauces are good and they used to do a lovely hot chilli sauce but haven't seen it in a few years now. Always find chilli and garlic, but I'm not as keen on that. More garlicky than hot.

I'm the same, it's probably the tastiest hot sauce I've tried.

I go through it pretty quickly too, so much so that I've taken to ordering it by the gallon....

IMG_20190213_182020550.thumb.jpg.4adc4d4bd9c003cfb96a2488c86d7d8b.jpg

Time to order a new one I think!

7 minutes ago, Lemongrab said:

An chilli extract, rather than a sauce, but I've had some of this stuff for over a year. I'm too scared to use it though. I opened it, thinking I was being careful, to have a look and somehow some found it's way to my eye.?

Psycho_Serum.jpg

When it's as strong as that it's almost useless. If you're cooking something with heat and want to give it a kick put a tiny bit of that in with a teaspoon then try it. Basically just add to taste but you'll use very little of it and it'll last ages.

luckyBatistuta
17 minutes ago, Lemongrab said:

Psycho_Serum.jpg

9B9357BA-F0B6-4A27-87F5-978DEB24351B.jpeg