Dr. Bapswent

The 'Frail for manager' train picks up pace

Examiner
I'm at a loss at the way this thread is developing

Whether or not people want Frail to be retained as "manager" is one thing.

To have any notion that he is in any way culpable for where we were until a couple of games ago is astonishing.

What's more astonishing is the level of credence given to a newspaper article and to the comments of a player whether quoted or not who will have little input in the overall result

shaun.lawson
What's more astonishing is the level of credence given to a newspaper article and to the comments of a player whether quoted or not who will have little input in the overall result

Right, here's the quote again:

?The lads are absolutely delighted Stevie has been given the [caretaker manager] post for the next three months.?

Do you think Banks is making it up? If not, why would he say this if he didn't know it to be true?

Billy Bigtime

Let's say, for argument's sake, Frail gets the job! It is clear he has not got, a) the balls B) the financial security to walk away. If Romanov goes back to the old routine and starts sticking his nose into team affairs, what is Frail going to do about it. NOTHING and he will claim he is still in charge in order to avoid looking stupid. Ergo - Frail cannot be an option!

sandyseymour
Much as I would like the appointment of a manager with a bit credability for nothing more than that reason and with the hope he can make an improvement the realist says we would have to go on another horrible run and everyone else would needs to win to go down. Added to that if we were to gain top six it would take a remarkable run. The bottom line would be that the baws burst this season and we have improved since the announcement that shaggy was in control. Given that I would settle for shaggy getting the chance to prove himself and if come the end of season he has done so then be genuinely considered as well as the not being if failed (mind if he failed to the ultimate extent we could always have a sacrifice). I know it has been noted several times about his coaching qualifications. How does that work? and how is he allowed to run things at the moment is there a time limit (honest question) as surely with Korobochka officially having the head coach role and shaggy being assistant but actually doing what he is doing could continue

The bottom line would be that the baws burst this season and we have improved since the announcement that shaggy was in control. Given that I would settle for shaggy getting the chance to prove himself and if come the end of season he has done so then be genuinely considered as well as the not being if failed

The above is commonsense and precisely my view....as far as the league is concerned the ba's burst and any new manager ain't going to make a significant difference....the season will be decided in the next couple of weeks after tomorrow's game and the semi in the CS cup....a new manager can't influence either of these games....SF has done OK so far and steadied the ship....if we advance in both cups and do well the rest of the season e.g manage to creep into the top 6, then SF must be in the frame for the manager's post....why not?? :)

Lord BJ

In fairness I don't think it just the article though it does contain a direct quote from Banks.

Past experience of managerial appointments. Suggest we appoint a caretaker then make lots of noises about getting the right man. Only for us to appoint the caretaker! History does have a habit of repeating itself.

Furthermore, 3 week have now past and we have heard next to nothing from the club, other than the initial comments. Time will tell, however, its a message board so we do tend discuss stuff that might happen. It not really that different from predicting Tuesdays team!;)

Snake Plissken

Frail as manager?

No.

Just no.

Examiner
In fairness I don't think it just the article though it does contain a direct quote from Banks.

Past experience of managerial appointments. Suggest we appoint a caretaker then make lots of noises about getting the right man. Only for us to appoint the caretaker! History does have a habit of repeating itself.

Furthermore, 3 week have now past and we have heard next to nothing from the club, other than the initial comments. Time will tell, however, its a message board so we do tend discuss stuff that might happen. It not really that different from predicting Tuesdays team!;)

The press have never misquoted or taken a comment out of context, nor has a player ever said something incorrectly. [smilie Missing]

It MAY be true, but it MAY be any of the above.

Even if this is Bank's understanding, has anyone else said this, or would it possibly be only Bank's understanding.

My point was that, based on the flimsiest of eveidence, i.e. one quote from one player this has sparked a "done deal" type debate and reaction.

Far too premature IMO

Sydney from Sydney

When Vlad took over he said Robbo couldn't have the job because he wasn't experienced enough and offered him the assistants job. Then he ranted on about getting the best man for the job and names like Mathaus and Robson and Scala popped up. He sacked Burley, gave the job to Rix and we even had a spell with some idiot who never won a game. Vlad's full of it, and if Shaggy ends up with the job, it'll show Vlad's consistant with lying and nothing else.

We need an experienced manager that will convince "all" fans that he's his own man.

Would love to see Souness or Davies.

Dr. Bapswent
The press have never misquoted or taken a comment out of context, nor has a player ever said something incorrectly. [smilie Missing]

Even if this is Bank's understanding, has anyone else said this, or would it possibly be only Bank's understanding.

My point was that, based on the flimsiest of eveidence, i.e. one quote from one player this has sparked a "done deal" type debate and reaction.

Far too premature IMO

Mate, i agree with your point, and your not totally wrong.

But this debate isnt about one quote, or one article.

Its about what we all think/know/ or suspect migh tbe the case vs. what we are actually being told.

Past experience has shown the wool to be very easily pulled over our eyes.

This is about being wary of that in the future.

Lord BJ

Far too premature IMO

I suppose we all read things differently. Just seems to me our discussing the possibility of happening not much wrong with that.

I don't think anyone is saying its a done deal , however, as I say we all see things differently.:o

Billy52
The bottom line would be that the baws burst this season and we have improved since the announcement that shaggy was in control. Given that I would settle for shaggy getting the chance to prove himself and if come the end of season he has done so then be genuinely considered as well as the not being if failed

The above is commonsense and precisely my view....as far as the league is concerned the ba's burst and any new manager ain't going to make a significant difference....the season will be decided in the next couple of weeks after tomorrow's game and the semi in the CS cup....a new manager can't influence either of these games....SF has done OK so far and steadied the ship....if we advance in both cups and do well the rest of the season e.g manage to creep into the top 6, then SF must be in the frame for the manager's post....why not?? :)

Right, the ba is burst so this is precisely the time to get a good experienced manager to sort everything out and be ready for next season. Frail does not have the experience and is too close to the players to do the pruning that is necessary, I also doubt if he has the ability to bring in players that will enhance the squad.

He has been licking the madmans arse for too long to have any credibility. his appointment would just be papering over the cracks which he himself had a part in creating.

Cut The Crap

Far too premature IMO

I'm skeptical as well, mainly because it seems to be only the mand from The Thunderer who heard Banks say this.

Banksy spoke to everyone, yet no one else reproduces this particular "quote", which, if true, would be the most newsworthy item to emerge from Satruday's match.

IMA MAROON

What if nobody of real quality wants the job?

It has been said a hundred times by some that no decent manager would come to Hearts so what if this is true?

It is easy for us to say get this guy or get that guy but if they aint interested it makes no difference who we want.

The Mighty Thor
I'm at a loss at the way this thread is developing

Whether or not people want Frail to be retained as "manager" is one thing.

To have any notion that he is in any way culpable for where we were until a couple of games ago is astonishing.

You cannot seriously say that Frail was just an innocent bystander or a powerless passenger in our slide down the table this season. He is/was a key part of the 'management team' appointed by Romanov.

To say that he's not culpable is to make a claim of 'only doing what i was told' on a scale not seen since the Nuremberg trials.

Billy52
Right, here's the quote again:

?The lads are absolutely delighted Stevie has been given the [caretaker manager] post for the next three months.?

Do you think Banks is making it up? If not, why would he say this if he didn't know it to be true?

If its true then the 'lads' are bound to be delighted because frail will still be taking the money and all the players will be safe because Romanov wants them there. The mad selections and substitutions will soon be back.

Billy52
What if nobody of real quality wants the job?

It has been said a hundred times by some that no decent manager would come to Hearts so what if this is true?

It is easy for us to say get this guy or get that guy but if they aint interested it makes no difference who we want.

Fair comment but if Romanov has changed his tune why is the job not more attractive?

Lets just face the fact that Romanov has not changed, lied to us and intends to keep a puppet as manager.

JamboJohn1874

Read the three month trial thing in the Times earlier and almost choked on my breakfast.

I think Vlad's problem is that he simply does not know what to do with Frail. If he was to appoint a new manager with their own background staff, where does Frail go. I actually think Frail has been givent the job, so he can get himself sacked or succeed.

I personally will give Frail the benefit of the doubt up until the form dips again, or until he plays his love child Elliot. After that GTF...

Drew Busby !

Todays EEN has a bit about Maybury and a possible return to Tynie. The long and the short of it is:

Mikey Stewart had a word with Maybury. Then Mikey Stewart had a word with Frail. Then Frail invites Maybury to train with the squad. It's pretty plain that we're heading well along the road to signing Maybury.

I'm not debating the pro's and con's of the player - theres another thread for that. I'm more concerned at the ad-hoc way we might be going about things here. Some old favours and friendships being called on here ... and Shaggy ... being "one of the blokes", goes along with it.

Thats NOT how I want players to be signed. I want a manager to call all the shots, without fear or favour, not because of some hearts old-boy network that sniffs a chance for Maybury to pick up a contract in a city where he still keeps a home...

All a bit too cosy for my liking and thats not the kind of management I want ... Shaggy is not the kind of manager I want...

bighalders

Stevie Frail MUST NOT be given the managers job, under any circumstances, even if that means wghen the new man comes in he has to leave altogether. He would be the least experienced manager and far far from the calibre of manager we need

IMA MAROON
Fair comment but if Romanov has changed his tune why is the job not more attractive?

Lets just face the fact that Romanov has not changed, lied to us and intends to keep a puppet as manager.

Potential new mangers do not believe him and are unwiling to pack in their jobs elsewhere to come to Tynecastle to find they are not in control and out of work within 3 months?

We_are_the_Hearts

It would be good if Frail could be kept on the same way the likes of Steve Clarke has at Chelsea and Pat Rice at Arsenal. Someone who knows what it is about alongside a respected/tactically aware manager.

Drylaw Hearts
Todays EEN has a bit about Maybury and a possible return to Tynie. The long and the short of it is:

Mikey Stewart had a word with Maybury. Then Mikey Stewart had a word with Frail. Then Frail invites Maybury to train with the squad. It's pretty plain that we're heading well along the road to signing Maybury.

I'm not debating the pro's and con's of the player - theres another thread for that. I'm more concerned at the ad-hoc way we might be going about things here. Some old favours and friendships being called on here ... and Shaggy ... being "one of the blokes", goes along with it.

Thats NOT how I want players to be signed. I want a manager to call all the shots, without fear or favour, not because of some hearts old-boy network that sniffs a chance for Maybury to pick up a contract in a city where he still keeps a home...

All a bit too cosy for my liking and thats not the kind of management I want ... Shaggy is not the kind of manager I want...

Assuming he impresses in training.

Drew Busby !
Assuming he impresses in training.

He just has to look 1% better than Robbie and he's in. On that basis I'm not against it.

Just seems a very cosy arrangement all round.

Drylaw Hearts
He just has to look 1% better than Robbie and he's in. On that basis I'm not against it.

Just seems a very cosy arrangement all round.

It is cosy but if it works then I see no problem.

Player will often recommend other players to their Club.

bighalders

If Frail is the calibre of manager for Hearts and Maybury the calibre of player - god help us, what a pile of tosh we have become :mad:

Jammy T
You cannot seriously say that Frail was just an innocent bystander or a powerless passenger in our slide down the table this season. He is/was a key part of the 'management team' appointed by Romanov.

To say that he's not culpable is to make a claim of 'only doing what i was told' on a scale not seen since the Nuremberg trials.

I can say that and I do say that.

All Frail was allowed to do was implement instructions. He had no control over what those instructions were.

Discipline was shot because if certain players were fined they ran away to Pedro or whoever to get away with it - nothing to do with Frail

Tactics - nothing to do with Frail

Fitness - apparently this was being controlled by Lithuanian guys, not even Tam Ritchie - nothing to do with Frail

Pre-season - Malofeev's sticky mits all-over another shambles. Nothing to do with Frail

I'm not sure precisely what role people think Frail had up until 3 weeks ago but I see it he was SOLE communicator between club and fans/media and he was working with both hands tied behind his back.

He may not be the right person for the job, but to suggest he is even partly to blame for where we are just now falls right into the type of propaganda trap that Vlad has regularly set since he arrived.

I really did think that people would have stopped falling for them by now

Nelly Terraces

The single reason the players want Frail as manager is cos he is a soft touch and they can just carry on in their usual lazy ways with him in charge.

I bet they are shyting it if a new bloke comes in and gives them a kick up the erse (which is more than required - if it did happen, it won't take long for berty big ba's players like Stewart to spit the dummy).

Paolo

I woul ratrher have a more experienced man in charge than Frail, but I woul rather the players backed Frail than didn't.

Drew Busby !
The single reason the players want Frail as manager is cos he is a soft touch and they can just carry on in their usual lazy ways with him in charge.

I bet they are shyting it if a new bloke comes in and gives them a kick up the erse (which is more than required - if it did happen, it won't take long for berty big ba's players like Stewart to spit the dummy).

Thats it in a nutshell NT.

He has both swallowed and pedalled so much sh|t this last year, that I don't believe that the players have genuine respect for "Shaggy" ...who I see is not even afforded the usual title of "the gaffer" in any media articles by the players, despite his recent temporary elevation.

Anyone of us can imagaine a similar situation in any of our places of work, and how compromised and enfeebled such a workplace manager would be after all thats happened. If you really wanted your place of work to be turned around, you'd want a new man.

Buffalo Bill

Frail is a good guy who I'd like to see stick around, but not as manager.

We need someone to come in an kick some ass.

My prefered choices would be McGhee, Levein or Davies.

I'd settle for JJ.

I suspect it will be neither.

Buffalo Bill

The Mighty Thor
I can say that and I do say that.

All Frail was allowed to do was implement instructions. He had no control over what those instructions were.

Discipline was shot because if certain players were fined they ran away to Pedro or whoever to get away with it - nothing to do with Frail

Tactics - nothing to do with Frail

Fitness - apparently this was being controlled by Lithuanian guys, not even Tam Ritchie - nothing to do with Frail

Pre-season - Malofeev's sticky mits all-over another shambles. Nothing to do with Frail

I'm not sure precisely what role people think Frail had up until 3 weeks ago but I see it he was SOLE communicator between club and fans/media and he was working with both hands tied behind his back.

He may not be the right person for the job, but to suggest he is even partly to blame for where we are just now falls right into the type of propaganda trap that Vlad has regularly set since he arrived.

I really did think that people would have stopped falling for them by now

In that case JT his position is untenable as by your book he's been picking up a wage for doing feck all. I can picture him shrugging the shoulders giving it the 'wasn't me guv!' routine.

He's guilty. As is korobochka. As was Chervenkov. As is Romaonv. What Frail has been allowed is the opportunity to dig himself and by default the other two out of the merde they collectively sunk us in.

I'm sure he's a lovely guy. I'm sure he has the best intentions. He's just not very good.

As for believing Romanov and any of his propganda. That stopped for me on Tuesday 8th November 2005 when he appointed Graham Rix.

The Mighty Thor

Absolutely correct Nelly. They've been taking the pish since that fat lazy bassa Janny was causing the bother in Nov/Dec 06.

New broom, big shovel, big skip. Job done.

Jammy T
In that case JT his position is untenable as by your book he's been picking up a wage for doing feck all. I can picture him shrugging the shoulders giving it the 'wasn't me guv!' routine.

He performed a role. Just not one which had any real bearing upon the football side of things.

I dont agree with the laziness player claims of NT backed by yourself.

The players have looked a lot less lazy in the last 3 games than most of the rest of this season.

It doesnt add up that Frail is a soft touch and the players are taking the pish.

The Mighty Thor
He performed a role. Just not one which had any real bearing upon the football side of things.

The players have looked a lot less lazy in the last 3 games than most of the rest of this season.

It doesnt add up that Frail is a soft touch and the players are taking the pish.

OK JT, who in your opinion is responsible?

You don't think Shaggy has had any influence or input on anything to do with first team football at all, you think the players aren't lazy and you don't think Frail is a soft touch. What has he been doing then as we have Charlie Mann for peddling Romanov's bull**** and the young gadge with the bluetooth headset for passing on instructions from AK/AC/VR. Seriously what has SF been doing and how does that qualify him to take tenporary 'charge' at Hearts?

Where have we gone wrong then? The league table in my morning paper has us 10th.

sandyseymour
Right, the ba is burst so this is precisely the time to get a good experienced manager to sort everything out and be ready for next season. Frail does not have the experience and is too close to the players to do the pruning that is necessary, I also doubt if he has the ability to bring in players that will enhance the squad.

He has been licking the madmans arse for too long to have any credibility. his appointment would just be papering over the cracks which he himself had a part in creating.

A bit hard on SF I think ......if he does the biz within the next couple of weeks then that's got to be an example of what he brings to the current squad....remember this squad has humped Rangers and Celtic this season....so it may not require a massive new injection of players now that Vlad is not interfering in team selections/subs which by accounts was responsible for the crap results/low team morale.....there's no rush at the moment but that needn't prevent our people sounding out potential managers ....we don't want another Rix debacle ..:)

Drylaw Hearts
If Frail is the calibre of manager for Hearts and Maybury the calibre of player - god help us, what a pile of tosh we have become :mad:

I agree.

Horse

Spot on. The sooner everyone realises this the better.

Julio
[/b]

Spot on. The sooner everyone realises this the better.

Indeed Romanov must reckon we are all zipped up the head backwards. :mad:

Horse
Indeed Romanov must reckon we are all zipped up the head backwards. :mad:

Julio, going by some of the posts on this site...he could be correct:confused:

Julio
Julio, going by some of the posts on this site...he could be correct:confused:

Very true. :o Raging at the prospect of SF being given the job. :mad:

Jammy T

You don't think Shaggy has had any influence or input on anything to do with first team football at all, you think the players aren't lazy and you don't think Frail is a soft touch. What has he been doing then as we have Charlie Mann for peddling Romanov's bull**** and the young gadge with the bluetooth headset for passing on instructions from AK/AC/VR. Seriously what has SF been doing and how does that qualify him to take tenporary 'charge' at Hearts?

Where have we gone wrong then? The league table in my morning paper has us 10th.

Romanov is ultimately responsible for where we are at present.

He had arranged a footballing structure which allowed him arms length control of the footballing side of the club

He had control over who was in the team. He had control over the timing and personnel involved re subs.

Players knew that some players were in the team on Vlads say so and not on merit

Players knew that they might play a blinder one week then be dropped the next.

Players knew that the discipline system in place was being ignored and flouted by some other players

A malaise set in because of the corrupt set up we had at the club. It was demotivating for all players who tried their hardest despite the conditions

The committee was a smoke screen which allowed Vlad to prevail in this respect

I cant actually believe that we are only a handful of games into someone other than Vlad being in charge and this all seems forgotten already.

I'll go with you in one respect - it is possible that Frail should, on seeing this shambles, should have walked away from it all.

But why should he be a martyr? Why should he walk into unemployment? I'm sure he feels close to a lot of players - why should he walk away when they cant?

We can agree or disagree about Frail until the cows come home but please do not forget the main reason we are having such a shocking season. It is pracitcally everything to do with Vlad and practically nothing to do with Frail.

Frail is more likely to save our season than Vlad lets put it that way

Mr Quagmire
I made this point on a thread last night.

The Mail on Sunday and NOTW had Stevie Banks saying the players were all backing 'shaggy' for the job.

I would much rather a proper experienced manager came in and emptied a lot of the players that are so keen for shaggy to get the job.

The club needs it. Out with the old, the **** poor training that has professional athletes unable to last a full game and has a striker two stone overweight for 6 months. Out with the discipline problems that have seen us rack up 50 yellow and 8 red cards in only 23 games! Out with the cliques and dressing room politics that see us languishing in the bottom 3.

Frail represents the regime that allowed all the above and actually promoted most of the issues above.

No thanks.

HaHa, SF has nothing to do with what has happened, he had no control.

Cut The Crap

It might not be completely fair, but I think Frail is tainted by his involvement in the disastrous past twelve months. As mentioned elsewhere, either he took his wage for doing nothing apart from saying virtually nothing to the press and fans and/or he was "only following orders". Either way that's not really good enough as far as I'm concerned -- mortgage to pay or not.

The best I could do for him would be to offer him a low profile coaching role out of the spotlight, which he can use to learn from the new manager (and rehabilitate himself a little in the eyes of the fans). Or he can make a clean break and go.

That said, I'm sure VR sees it differently. Hopefully it doesn't become a sticking point in the appointment of the new man.

The Mighty Thor
Romanov is ultimately responsible for where we are at present.

He had arranged a footballing structure which allowed him arms length control of the footballing side of the club

He had control over who was in the team. He had control over the timing and personnel involved re subs.

Players knew that some players were in the team on Vlads say so and not on merit

Players knew that they might play a blinder one week then be dropped the next.

Players knew that the discipline system in place was being ignored and flouted by some other players

A malaise set in because of the corrupt set up we had at the club. It was demotivating for all players who tried their hardest despite the conditions

The committee was a smoke screen which allowed Vlad to prevail in this respect

I cant actually believe that we are only a handful of games into someone other than Vlad being in charge and this all seems forgotten already.

I'll go with you in one respect - it is possible that Frail should, on seeing this shambles, should have walked away from it all.

But why should he be a martyr? Why should he walk into unemployment? I'm sure he feels close to a lot of players - why should he walk away when they cant?

We can agree or disagree about Frail until the cows come home but please do not forget the main reason we are having such a shocking season. It is pracitcally everything to do with Vlad and practically nothing to do with Frail.

Frail is more likely to save our season than Vlad lets put it that way

I think whilst we've been going round the houses on the 'merits' of Stevie Frail at least we have found common ground. Romanov and the roger hunt he made of everything he's touched in a footballing sense in the last 2 and a half years.

I think Frail's position is untenable (as is Korobochka's don't forget) and you think he deserves his moment in the sun. Fair enough, opinions will always differ.

I don't think anything has been forgotten after just a handful of games under Frails charge. Quite the opposite. I think most on this thread and most Jambos i talk to are shechting bricks at the prospect of another lame duck Ivanauskas acession to the hotseat taking place as most don't feel Frail's up to the job. (in the same way Ivanauskas wasn't)

This is the whole point and this is why we need a total re-building job in terms of football structure. With Frail, AK & VR still there 3/4 of the old corrupt regime is still there and you can bet your ass the fallback position will be the footballing banana republic that was there until the 31st Dec 2007.

We aren't going to progress ever under that set up. That's why we were all clamouring for a proper manager to come in and shake the whole thing up.

Appointing Frail is a cop out and allows a gradual slide back into full VR control over 2-3 months. No returning of players to Kaunas in the current transfer window will evidence that in my opinion.

Watch this space and if Kurskis is still here on Feb 1st then VR's still got 5 digits up Shaggy's jinker.

Jammy T

Appointing Frail is a cop out and allows a gradual slide back into full VR control over 2-3 months. No returning of players to Kaunas in the current transfer window will evidence that in my opinion.

We only really disagree on one thing. Frails culpability in respect of where we are at present.

I agree though about the above. Keeping Frail gives Vlad better propsects of elbowing his way back into control a few weeks from now.

It appears to be his modus operandi when it comes to coaching changes.

Allow a new pair of hands to steady the ship before putting his sticky mits back into the pot and fecking it up again

wackojacko

SF is a good guy, conducted himself with great dignity over the past few months when he must have wanted to chuck it, however, would like to see a good quality long term management team put in place who are given free rein and time!!

sandyseymour

it's called tapping :)

sandyseymour

By all accounts SF simply applied instructions both in training methods, team selections, tactics, substitutions etc i.e. he did what he was told......now that he has full control of training, team selection, tactics then it's clear that he's stabilised the team .... he's unlikely to be able to select players, I don't think Vlad will allow that whoever comes in .....let's give the guy a break and see where he takes us.....as I've stated elsewhere in this thread....our season is make or break in the next few weeks....so if we beat the Huns and Motherwell ....I think that SF should be in the running for the job...no problems :cool:

IMA MAROON
By all accounts SF simply applied instructions both in training methods, team selections, tactics, substitutions etc i.e. he did what he was told......now that he has full control of training, team selection, tactics then it's clear that he's stabilised the team .... he's unlikely to be able to select players, I don't think Vlad will allow that whoever comes in .....let's give the guy a break and see where he takes us.....as I've stated elsewhere in this thread....our season is make or break in the next few weeks....so if we beat the Huns and Motherwell ....I think that SF should be in the running for the job...no problems :cool:

We have no alternatives, there are no able managers available that are willing too come to Hearts just now.

monkfish1979

TBH, I don't see what all the fuss is about. A manager will not "make or break" this season for us - it's already broken, it wouldn't really matter a whole hell of a lot who we brought in. Frail's already improved our performances and team selections, we beat the hobos (not a beautiful game, but I'll take it), and, if I'm being perfectly honest, I'd rather have a guy there that's not out looking for a bigger move soon. Frail's first job would have been to steady the ship, and he seems to have done that.

And for anybody making out that the guy's "inexperienced and naive" - don't assume that just because he's never been given the title "manager" that he hasn't picked anything up. He played as a professional and coached as a professional, and he's spent a hell of a lot of time in the dugout. Despite our opinions (none of them - very much including mine - professional) there aren't many people working in the top flight of most European countries that don't deserve to be in the job.

People who expect instant great results and football that wouldn't look out of place in the top four of the EPL need to get a grip.