The 'Frail for manager' train picks up pace

Dr. Bapswent

I think we have all suspected at some time that the 'suggestion' that we are looking for a manager might be a simple way of keeping us happy while the only real candidate will be SF.

I myself like SF, just dont tihk nhe has the ability to take the team as far as we need to go.

However i suspect we will see more articles like this appearing in the future, preparing us for what some would see as an inevitable appointment.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/main.jhtml?view=DETAILS&grid=A1YourView&xml=/sport/2008/01/21/sfnhearts121.xml

I would rather SF was retained as an assistant to someone else.

But with these sorts of articles appearing, it may seem more and more like we are being subtly forcefed the issue so that we just accept it when it happens.

Dusk_Till_Dawn
I think we have all suspected at some time that the 'suggestion' that we are looking for a manager might be a simple way of keeping us happy while the only real candidate will be SF.

I myself like SF, just dont tihk nhe has the ability to take the team as far as we need to go.

However i suspect we will see more articles like this appearing in the future, preparing us for what some would see as an inevitable appointment.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/main.jhtml?view=DETAILS&grid=A1YourView&xml=/sport/2008/01/21/sfnhearts121.xml

But with these sorts of articles appearing, it may seem more and more like we are being subtly forcefed the issue so that we just accept it when it happens.

IMO, Hearts shaded a woeful game on Saturday so I wouldn't say it has necessarily advanced Frail's claim to the job.

But you're probably right, and I think he'll get it.

Colonel Kurtz

I have said so all along

Hovever,Frail is not ready yet for the job and would NOT have been tolerated by by the fans a few years ago.

Its just now anybody as long as they are not bumbling East European nonentities will be welcomed by the fans.

Frail should have reverted to the team which started yesterday in the second half v Motherwell and we would have not needed a replay .

In rspect of signings ,whoever scouted Nade should not be given a penny,a simple phone call to our SC winning left back would have comfirmed"life style"problems

Nucky Thompson

Do you think Vlad is behind the article in the telegraph? As far as I can see it's a player bigging up a guy he likes for the job. It happens all the time at every club when caretaker managers are in place.

ToadKiller Dog

I think shaggys talents are more in suited to a assistant manager(you can see it in the way he is close to the players ) and think he would be excellent in the role,but the bit on the hearts site from him and banks praising Berra sounds like it could be them two putting themselves forward as a duo.

Well the likelyhood is that they will have a few games to prove themselves but in typical hearts style of the last few seasons none of us have a real clue what will happen.

I have said so all along

Hovever,Frail is not ready yet for the job and would NOT have been tolerated by by the fans a few years ago.

Its just now anybody as long as they are not bumbling East European nonentities will be welcomed by the fans.

Frail should have reverted to the team which started yesterday in the second half v Motherwell and we would have not needed a replay .

In rspect of signings ,whoever scouted Nade should not be given a penny,a simple phone call to our SC winning left back would have comfirmed"life style"problems

This is my concern, that SF ill get the job, and the fans will be unhappy.

I would not like the fans to turn on SF, after all he is only doing his job. he may not be that good at it, but he is doing all he can.

I would also hate this appointment to be made as it would suggest that this was the intention all along. Even if this is not the case, but it would come across this way.

I think the club is on the brink of turning a corner, and putting some things right. Even without a new manager.

This is an opperutnity to take another leap forward, Id hate to waste it on taking a step sideways.

Banks

"Training has changed completely and it's a good place to be at the moment"

As much as this is a positive I don't think SF yet has the tactical experience required of a manager.

Happy with him as coach, working with the players every day but IMO he lacks the extra qualities required of a manager.

Drylaw Hearts
I have said so all along

No you haven't.

You told us Banks was going to be Head Coach when Frail got sacked.

It would be completely unacceptable if Frail was given the job permanently.

Surely the people at Hearts understand this.

It is also inevitable that some of the players whom are closest to Frail will, if pushed, say they want him to get the job. They have to.

The Mighty Thor
This is my concern, that SF ill get the job, and the fans will be unhappy.

I would not like the fans to turn on SF, after all he is only doing his job. he may not be that good at it, but he is doing all he can.

I would also hate this appointment to be made as it would suggest that this was the intention all along. Even if this is not the case, but it would come across this way.

I think the club is on the brink of turning a corner, and putting some things right. Even without a new manager.

This is an opperutnity to take another leap forward, Id hate to waste it on taking a step sideways.

I made this point on a thread last night.

The Mail on Sunday and NOTW had Stevie Banks saying the players were all backing 'shaggy' for the job.

I would much rather a proper experienced manager came in and emptied a lot of the players that are so keen for shaggy to get the job.

The club needs it. Out with the old, the **** poor training that has professional athletes unable to last a full game and has a striker two stone overweight for 6 months. Out with the discipline problems that have seen us rack up 50 yellow and 8 red cards in only 23 games! Out with the cliques and dressing room politics that see us languishing in the bottom 3.

Frail represents the regime that allowed all the above and actually promoted most of the issues above.

No thanks.

Remind me, this is thread about a (very brief) newspaper article where a player says Frail should get the job and not an official announcement, right?

Colonel Kurtz
No you haven't.

You told us Banks was going to be Head Coach when Frail got sacked.

No ,I said that if SF took the Dunfermline job "yahoor ye" they would need Banksy on the benchFrail played poker and won ,Angel lost.

I have said since SFs first meeting with the players that he will be considered if he manages anything like a decent run of results.

Cannae be ersed dredging up old threads on a rainy Monday,you wold have to be a bit of a boring sod to do that......

The point is Frail cant get the job because he does not have the required qualifications. FIFA wont allow it and I think SF said the next course was 2009.

We will have to appoint a properly qualified manager.

No ,I said that if SF took the Dunfermline job "yahoor ye" they would need Banksy on the benchFrail played poker and won ,Angel lost.

I have said since SFs first meeting with the players that he will be considered if he manages anything like a decent run of results.

Cannae be ersed dredging up old threads on a rainy Monday,you wold have to be a bit of a boring sod to do that......

That's him out the picture then.

Drylaw Hearts

Bollocks.

I recall you posting that Banks should tell them to stick the job up their erse and let the Dutch guy get on with it.

Don't you remember ?

BTW, Frail was never in a postion to take the Dunfy job as he never applied for it !!

The Mighty Thor
The point is Frail cant get the job because he does not have the required qualifications. FIFA wont allow it and I think SF said the next course was 2009.

We will have to appoint a properly qualified manager.

Frail could get the job. He could get dispensation as long as he is registered to go on the Fifa Pro course.

Gareth Southgate does not have the required qualifications. Glen Roeder didn't have them either at Newcastle.

Just to clarify he could get it. Personally i hope he does not.

Much as I would like the appointment of a manager with a bit credability for nothing more than that reason and with the hope he can make an improvement the realist says we would have to go on another horrible run and everyone else would needs to win to go down. Added to that if we were to gain top six it would take a remarkable run. The bottom line would be that the baws burst this season and we have improved since the announcement that shaggy was in control. Given that I would settle for shaggy getting the chance to prove himself and if come the end of season he has done so then be genuinely considered as well as the not being if failed (mind if he failed to the ultimate extent we could always have a sacrifice). I know it has been noted several times about his coaching qualifications. How does that work? and how is he allowed to run things at the moment is there a time limit (honest question) as surely with Korobochka officially having the head coach role and shaggy being assistant but actually doing what he is doing could continue

Frail represents the regime that allowed all the above and actually promoted most of the issues above.

Do you genuinely believe that?

If you do I think you entirely misunderstand the way things have been working at the club for the last season and a half. In particular how much the lack of discipline at the club fecked off Frail.

Look this "far and wide" search that Romanov apparently undertakes every 6 months or so for a new manager is now well established as being a farce.

What the players at the club are benefitting from now is a sense of working for each other and Frail. Players are getting picked on merit. Subs - whether you agree with them or not - are being made in response to how the game is going.

If you are getting players confirming that training is NOW better, and more enjoyable and they are pulling together more, it is as clear a sign as you can get that what was happening previously was not good and that Frail has changed things.

He's been doing double sessions, and he is improving the discipline.

He should be given a chance. He is very much an improvement to what we have been subjected to over the last 18 months

I've been as skeptical as the next man, but on this one I do believe they are fully intent on getting in a properly qualified manager.

Frail's loyalty will be rewarded by his retention in an assistant role.

Drylaw Hearts
you should apply for a job at Edinburgh Airport

Tell them you are used to things going over your head

?

This appears to have gone over my head also.

If you posted in a legible manner then I'm pretty sure I'd grasp what you are trying to say.

Even if it is bull.

Shaggy STILL doesnt have his Pro Licence.....

It was said right at the very start when it was announced that we were looking for a new manager that Frail did not have his licence but would be taking a course in the summer.As many have pointed out the course does not have to take place in Scotland as i believe there are no course due in the summer.

I thought our new manager had to have his UEFA coaching badges or the recognised certificate of competence from the SFA?

To my knowledge no coaches at Hearts have these qualifications and the SFA have already advised the club of the criteria shouls we wish to qualify for europe.

Don't think we would get any dispensation there!!

Drylaw Hearts
http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/sport/football/scotland/article3222141.ece

Goalkeeper?s slip adds up to capital punishment for Hibernian | Scotland - Times Online

According to this article it looks like Frail has the job till the end of the season

Gudjon Thordarson's name will not go away.

The Daily Star is, again, linking him with the job.

Look this "far and wide" search that Romanov apparently undertakes every 6 months or so for a new manager is now well established as being a farce.

Correct, and only a couple of months before the season ticket renewals come out as well. ;)

Frail could get the job. He could get dispensation as long as he is registered to go on the Fifa Pro course.

Gareth Southgate does not have the required qualifications. Glen Roeder didn't have them either at Newcastle.

Just to clarify he could get it. Personally i hope he does not.

As far as I was aware, we have already been warned to appoint someone with the necessary qualifications or we will be prevented from entering any competitions...European qualification etc.?

I thought our new manager had to have his UEFA coaching badges or the recognised certificate of competence from the SFA?

To my knowledge no coaches at Hearts have these qualifications and the SFA have already advised the club of the criteria shouls we wish to qualify for europe.

Don't think we would get any dispensation there!!

Badges or no badges, dispensation or no dispensation, if Frail gets the job it is another broken promise from the madman.

Frail has been in charge of the dressing room for months and he must therefore be at least partly responsible for the position we are in now. What is the miraculous change that the players now respect him and want him to stay??

The answer is that he is still just as useless as before but the players are more frightened that a new manager will expose them for the useless lazy crap that they are and punt them.

FRAIL IS NOT THE ANSWER, KEEP YOUR PROMISE VLAD

As far as I was aware, we have already been warned to appoint someone with the necessary qualifications or we will be prevented from entering any competitions...European qualification etc.?

Right now, I dont think thats too much of an issue.

Frail has ensured that the SFA won't have to worry about us entering European competitions this year

Drylaw Hearts
Badges or no badges, dispensation or no dispensation, if Frail gets the job it is another broken promise from the madman.

Frail has been in charge of the dressing room for months and he must therefore be at least partly responsible for the position we are in now. What is the miraculous change that the players now respect him and want him to stay??

The answer is that he is still just as useless as before but the players are more frightened that a new manager will expose them for the useless lazy crap that they are and punt them.

FRAIL IS NOT THE ANSWER, KEEP YOUR PROMISE VLAD

The difference now is the players have to impress Frail as he is picking the team.

He had no or very little input previously and they knew that.

The Mighty Thor
Do you genuinely believe that?

If you do I think you entirely misunderstand the way things have been working at the club for the last season and a half. In particular how much the lack of discipline at the club fecked off Frail.

What the players at the club are benefitting from now is a sense of working for each other and Frail. Players are getting picked on merit. Subs - whether you agree with them or not - are being made in response to how the game is going.

If you are getting players confirming that training is NOW better, and more enjoyable and they are pulling together more, it is as clear a sign as you can get that what was happening previously was not good and that Frail has changed things.

He's been doing double sessions, and he is improving the discipline.

He should be given a chance. He is very much an improvement to what we have been subjected to over the last 18 months

yes i do actually believe that.

I understand perfectly well how things have been going at the club for the last 3o months.

Shaggy has been there for the last 18 months. Taking training. Working with those self same players. Taking the coin, keeping his wee head down while chaos reigned around him. Why didn't he grab the bull by the horns 18 months ago and enforce the discipline then?

So now are we to believe that he's found or grown a set? he's going to sort out the discipline? The players still call him shaggy FFS!

He's tainted and worse still one half of waldorf and statler is still in the job above him.

I couldn't care what the current crop of players say about him or training or how good they all feel together. They are guilty as hell too. they put us where we are now along with managerial incompetence not seen since the enron scandal or maxwell's pension rip off.

Of course the players want him there, he's a soft touch, a guy they can take the total pesh out of and when they can't they run to the benefactor.

No it's time for a change of manager, a change of outlook and a change of playing personnel.

Drylaw Hearts
Frail has ensured that the SFA won't have to worry about us entering European competitions this year

Surely you mean Vladimir Romanov ?

Frail has only been in charge for 4 matches.

The Mighty Thor

I reckon we'll be alright on that score mate.

Banks: ?The lads are absolutely delighted Stevie has been given the [caretaker manager] post for the next three months.?

When did this happen then?

I reckon we'll be alright on that score mate.

:)...yes I know, but all I was meaning was surely if Vlad is serious about putting a manager in full control and with the issues surrounding SF's lack of qualifications, then surely SF is a no goer!?

The same happened last season when Korobochka was in temporary charge, results improved and he wrongly stayed in the job at the start of this season. Results inevitably improve after a strugglimg manager is sacked because they can hardly get worse! We have all seen this countless times in football -

1. Club is struggling and dispense with manager

2. Caretaker manager appointed while club seeks new manager

3. Results improve

4. Caretaker manager appointed over better applicants

5. Results worsen

6. Caretaker manager is sacked

Dunfermline Athletic have fallen into this trap 1. to 4. has happened 5. may have begun instantly and 6. is likely to follow.

Stevie Frail should not be appointed as Hearts manager, we can do so much better.

The same happened last season when Korobochka was in temporary charge, results improved and he wrongly stayed in the job at the start of this season. Results inevitably improve after a strugglimg manager is sacked because they can hardly get worse! We have all seen this countless times in football -

1. Club is struggling and dispense with manager

2. Caretaker manager appointed while club seeks new manager

3. Results improve

4. Caretaker manager appointed over better applicants

5. Results worsen

6. Caretaker manager is sacked

Dunfermline Athletic have fallen into this trap 1. to 4. has happened 5. may have begun instantly and 6. is likely to follow.

Stevie Frail should not be appointed as Hearts manager, we can do so much better.

It also happened with Valdas Ivanauskas, though he was being worked from the back.

Drylaw Hearts
Banks: ?The lads are absolutely delighted Stevie has been given the [caretaker manager] post for the next three months.?

I didn't notice that line when I read the article.

Outrageous, if true.

ToadKiller Dog

Strange Quote that could mean he has 3 months to prove himself ,3 months is when a target comes free to join or the hearts beauocracy takes that long to do anything.

Is Banks mistaken or is Vlad leading us down the garden path again ?

Much as I would like the appointment of a manager with a bit credability for nothing more than that reason and with the hope he can make an improvement the realist says we would have to go on another horrible run and everyone else would needs to win to go down. Added to that if we were to gain top six it would take a remarkable run. The bottom line would be that the baws burst this season and we have improved since the announcement that shaggy was in control. Given that I would settle for shaggy getting the chance to prove himself and if come the end of season

That is pretty much how I see the season. Although I think we should definetly appoint a new manager in the summer.

If we appointed now there would be no time for bringing players in and getting rid of others. So we would pretty much be looking at the same squad until the summer anyway. (pessemist hat on time) I honestly don't see us making top 6. Even if we do there is zero chance of making Europe through the league. That leaves the cup and that could well be a dead issue within 10 days. Even if we beat Motherwell, I don't think we are strong enough to go all the way. Any team in the SPL and probably a couple in the 1st division could beat us on one of our all too common off days.

On the otherhand, if we give Frail the job unhindered for 6 months, this will have several advantages. It will hopefully restore stability and the new manager won't have to start out by managing through a crisis. A sustained demonstration that Romanov means what he says about keeping his nose out might help convince a better quality of manager (or any quality of British manager) to take the job. Also in the summer more managers might be willing to move. It would give 6 months of being managed properly for players to prove if they are up to the job or need shipped out, rather than a new man judging them on how they have been during 'the farce'. Finally it would allow a new man time to freshen the sqaud up and shape it to suit his style.

I didn't notice that line when I read the article.

Outrageous, if true.

It's in the Times piece linked to elsewhere in the thread. Of course, you could argue that were an ideal choice to become available, then that would change things: but more than likely, we've found that no decent candidates will come near the job. And even the one that would, JJ, is so tainted by how awfully Killie are now doing that they've ruled him out too...

Surely you mean Vladimir Romanov ?

Frail has only been in charge for 4 matches.

He's been first team coach all season.

yes i do actually believe that.

I understand perfectly well how things have been going at the club for the last 3o months.

Shaggy has been there for the last 18 months. Taking training. Working with those self same players. Taking the coin, keeping his wee head down while chaos reigned around him. Why didn't he grab the bull by the horns 18 months ago and enforce the discipline then?

So now are we to believe that he's found or grown a set? he's going to sort out the discipline? The players still call him shaggy FFS!

He's tainted and worse still one half of waldorf and statler is still in the job above him.

I couldn't care what the current crop of players say about him or training or how good they all feel together. They are guilty as hell too. they put us where we are now along with managerial incompetence not seen since the enron scandal or maxwell's pension rip off.

Of course the players want him there, he's a soft touch, a guy they can take the total pesh out of and when they can't they run to the benefactor.

No it's time for a change of manager, a change of outlook and a change of playing personnel.

Experienced manager in!

Frail fired and the rubbish players we have get punted!

Is there any surprise that they are suddenly sticking together?

Drylaw Hearts
He's been first team coach all season.

But was not able to do things the way he wanted.

Now he has been given ,what I hope is temporary responsibilty, I think we'll see a difference in the way the team is prepared and how they perform.

The exclusion of No.28 has been one highlight for me.

If he gets the job and fails then he'll be sacked. His appointment may be just another hoop to be gone through before Romanov gets the message finally.

I'm at a loss at the way this thread is developing

Whether or not people want Frail to be retained as "manager" is one thing.

To have any notion that he is in any way culpable for where we were until a couple of games ago is astonishing.

I'm at a loss at the way this thread is developing

Whether or not people want Frail to be retained as "manager" is one thing.

To have any notion that he is in any way culpable for where we were until a couple of games ago is astonishing.

What's more astonishing is the level of credence given to a newspaper article and to the comments of a player whether quoted or not who will have little input in the overall result

Archived