Edinburgh Trams Farce Continues

Ribble

The Real Maroonblood
2 minutes ago, skinnybob72 said:

I was walking down Leith Walk a couple of weeks ago and there was an ambulance with blue lights flashing trying to head towards town - and it was stuck behind a bus because the bus had nowhere to go to let it by. When it comes to traffic the council have not got a clue. 

The bike lanes have also caused problems for emergency vehicles.

Dennis Reynolds

Not surprising to be honest. Massive pain in the hoop. Thank **** for WFH. I live just off a diverted route and it's an omnishambles trying to get anywhere at the moment. 

Maroon Sailor
10 hours ago, The Real Maroonblood said:

The bike lanes have also caused problems for emergency vehicles.

Those stupid bollards have

13 hours ago, frankblack said:

Exactly, but this is going to hit businesses hard that are on that route.  I assume there will be compensation for the loss of business they are causing?

:Aye:

But who would be happy to see their council tax to go up to pay this compensation?

1 hour ago, Smithee said:

But who would be happy to see their council tax to go up to pay this compensation?

Obviously nobody but incompetence like this should be punished.  Will that not happen anyway as this extension will cost many £millions?

In my view they either complete the job on time,  compensate the local businesses or if not shut the project down.

Edited by frankblack

1 minute ago, frankblack said:

Obviously nobody but incompetence like this should be punished.

In my view they either complete the job on time,  compensate the local businesses or if not shut the project down.

Punished? How do you punish Edinburgh council without punishing Edinburgh?

2 minutes ago, Smithee said:

Punished? How do you punish Edinburgh council without punishing Edinburgh?

I added extra qualification to my edit but dismissal of the management team behind the project and removal of the councillors.

We have a chance to do the latter in May if people vote on local issues against this coalition.

• 2 months later...
Malinga the Swinga
On 27/11/2021 at 10:49, frankblack said:

I added extra qualification to my edit but dismissal of the management team behind the project and removal of the councillors.

We have a chance to do the latter in May if people vote on local issues against this coalition.

I'll be voting for anyone who isn't a council member at the moment.

Not one of the existing councillors should be re-elected, not one.

2 hours ago, Stuart Lyon said:

Here we go again - the tram fiasco gets worse

Couldn't get a ling to full article as its behind a paywall.

Trams 2.png

So that's another £9m on top of the £20m for new cycle lanes around the gyle, ECC had better hope that nobody notices the signs for their LEZ/Congestion charge and they can rake in enough cash to cover their vanity projects

Seymour M Hersh

I wonder why Elsie and her mob at Holyrood are not covering the free travel for U22s on the tram? Means the clowncil will have to underwrite this for about £1.5m. 

Meanwhile - the enquiry into why the original tram project was twice over budget reduced in scope and way overdue is  -- way over budget, not even close to finalisation and using many same consultants as original project!! What an inept bunch of numpties

:shockio:

• 6 months later...

https://www.heraldscotland.com/politics/20704555.edinburgh-city-council-launch-1bn-plans-build-north-south-tram-route/

As if one loss making line isn't enough here we go again with the town Council proposing another even more expensive addition.

In another report apparently there are 95 outstanding requests for pedestrian crossings in the city.

The Real Maroonblood
25 minutes ago, Stuart Lyon said:

https://www.heraldscotland.com/politics/20704555.edinburgh-city-council-launch-1bn-plans-build-north-south-tram-route/

As if one loss making line isn't enough here we go again with the town Council proposing another even more expensive addition.

In another report apparently there are 95 outstanding requests for pedestrian crossings in the city.

Laughable.

I've only been on them a couple of times but I thought they were great, park at Ingliston, walk the 50 yds to the tram and straight into Edinburgh. There seems to be a lot negative views in posts and I'm wondering what I'm missing, really interested in views of people closer than I am.

Malinga the Swinga
3 minutes ago, Dawnrazor said:

I've only been on them a couple of times but I thought they were great, park at Ingliston, walk the 50 yds to the tram and straight into Edinburgh. There seems to be a lot negative views in posts and I'm wondering what I'm missing, really interested in views of people closer than I am.

The concept is fine and the trans are fine. What is unforgivable is the length of time taken to build line and the excess costs incurred. Both of these under a council that saw services deteriorate to a shocking low and when we already had a perfectly adequate bus service.

A vanity project that helped punt these arseholes from running the council at last election.

1 minute ago, Malinga the Swinga said:

The concept is fine and the trans are fine. What is unforgivable is the length of time taken to build line and the excess costs incurred. Both of these under a council that saw services deteriorate to a shocking low and when we already had a perfectly adequate bus service.

A vanity project that helped punt these arseholes from running the council at last election.

This. Add to the fact that the design and engineering was run absolutely shockingly. Didn't a bunch of tracks get put down, then had to get ripped up again for the utilities to be shifted?

10 minutes ago, Malinga the Swinga said:

You'll be pleased to note that the new administration are planning another line then! 

Love the trams, use them regularly from the Airport, it's a bit pricey from the Airport but very straight forward and frequent.

I also use the Airport bus and it's equally superb. Both services are always well used from my experience so room for both I'd say.

luckyBatistuta
8 minutes ago, trotter said:

This. Add to the fact that the design and engineering was run absolutely shockingly. Didn't a bunch of tracks get put down, then had to get ripped up again for the utilities to be shifted?

Leith Walk

luckyBatistuta
2 minutes ago, Craig_ said:

You'll be pleased to note that the new administration are planning another line then! 

£1 billion, yeah ok 🙄🤪🤡

#### the schools etc, let’s just keep on pouring our money down the drain…oh, and the brown envelopes too, mustn’t forget them.

Dennis Reynolds

Not sure I'd want to put up with another seven years of navigating tram works tbh. Could be the motivation I need to cash in and move to the hills!

• 2 weeks later...
1 hour ago, Dazo said:

Without pointing the finger at anyone, 8 years ? **** me someone’s taking the piss. 

Probably still looking for how to pin the blame on Westminster.

The Mighty Thor
1 hour ago, jonesy said:

Will tongiht be reminding my young sons that the legal profession is the way to go if they'd like to make some money in their lives.

The striking barristers would probably beg to differ. 

Politics. Westminster politics.

Get the laddies to get the snout in the trough. Russian dough. Consultancy. Expenses.

Beautiful. 

On 01/09/2022 at 15:46, Japan Jambo said:

Probably still looking for how to pin the blame on Westminster.

Wasn't it the then Labour controlled City Council aided and abetted by the Liberal Democrats who were responsible for the original shitshow?  From memory SNP locally favoured a railink to Edinburgh Airport rather than trams.

Now we have them it is better to expand the network so long as the project is managed better. The project to extend the first line to its original destination of Newhaven seems less chaotic despite covid disruption.

I don't like them! They don't suit our city. Never been on one, never had cause to get on one even for shits and giggles.

45 minutes ago, EIEIO said:

Wasn't it the then Labour controlled City Council aided and abetted by the Liberal Democrats who were responsible for the original shitshow?  From memory SNP locally favoured a railink to Edinburgh Airport rather than trams.

Now we have them it is better to expand the network so long as the project is managed better. The project to extend the first line to its original destination of Newhaven seems less chaotic despite covid disruption.

iirc there was never the option of a rail link because glasgow airport wanted one or they were worried it would affect passenger numbers as flying to edinburgh would give a rail link making it easier. 

4 minutes ago, milky_26 said:

iirc there was never the option of a rail link because glasgow airport wanted one or they were worried it would affect passenger numbers as flying to edinburgh would give a rail link making it easier. 

Possibly however,  perhaps coincidentally,  passenger numbers at Edinburgh Airport have been greater than Glasgow Airport by quite a margin too since the trams. Ignoring the pandemic year and a bit.

Edited by EIEIO
Spelling

1 hour ago, EIEIO said:

I'm assuming you don't regularly travel through north Edinburgh?

2 hours ago, ArcticJambo said:

I don't like them! They don't suit our city. Never been on one, never had cause to get on one even for shits and giggles.

It depends how you get to the airport but at peak times or the RHS they are better to be on from Haymarket certainly than the Airlink buses.

8 minutes ago, DETTY29 said:

It depends how you get to the airport but at peak times or the RHS they are better to be on from Haymarket certainly than the Airlink buses.

Aye, haven't flown for 4 yrs now but I might have caus eto try it out at the end of Oct when I head over to Constantinople.

1 hour ago, OBE said:

I'm assuming you don't regularly travel through north Edinburgh?

Been a few times but meant the management of the project was less of a shitshow. Leith was/is to be avoided until construction complete. The road disruption is similar to the first aborted attempt but at least this time there will be something to show for it.

• 3 months later...
Maroon Sailor

People stranded at The Gyle as the trams can't get to the Igliston Park and Ride due to flooding.

About 100 odd people waiting on a 400 bus to take them to their cars.

• 4 months later...
Fxxx the SPFL
5 hours ago, Dazo said:

I thought it was actually already running. Trials in March and not opening till June ? Seems an excessive delay. 

The track was fine it was all the peripheral stuff pavements, stops etc but for a change delivered on time and on budget 

This is going to be great. Leith Walk is probably the best street in Edinburgh already. The trams going up and down look tremendous in my opinion. 

ArcticJambo

Well, lets hope they get that nonsense on Bernard street tf, asap!!

Ps - maybe one day I'll have cause to use the tram. :tlj:

8 hours ago, pablo said:

This is going to be great. Leith Walk is probably the best street in Edinburgh already. The trams going up and down look tremendous in my opinion. 

Agree.

8 hours ago, pablo said:

2 minutes ago, Ked said:

Agree.

Saw Leith Walk last weekend, and it looks well, it has to be said.

10 hours ago, ArcticJambo said:

Well, lets hope they get that nonsense on Bernard street tf, asap!!

Ps - maybe one day I'll have cause to use the tram. :tlj:

The trams are sound. Pretty handy if your jumping about town.

AlimOzturk

It’s unfortunate the tram does go anywhere I need to go regularly. Haven’t ever been on one. 🤷