Edinburgh Trams Farce Continues

Ribble

luckyBatistuta
On 11/08/2017 at 21:55, davemclaren said:

An extension seems sensible given the high investment in the current line. Going to Leith opens up a lot more passenger potential.

It does in the fact it would go to more destinations, therefore increasing numbers, but I don't think it will increase enough to justify  the extra cost, far more things around this city in need of funding. It's too slow, it stops at every stop, whether someone is getting on/off or not. Sitting there wasting time while nothing happens. I was genuinely concerned about the tram coming, as I thought I'd lose a lot of business to it, but I just sit at lights watching it pass with hardly a soul on it. A total waste of money and still continuing to cost us.

LB I totally agree with you ! A vanity project by our elected Councillors (mostly ex councillors now) who have been exposed as numpties by the inquiry. The current councillors are hell bent on ignoring the economic madness of any extension of the lame duck in order to match the incompetence of their predecessors. Why do they still hide the interest and maintenance costs using "commercial confidence" as an excuse? How can it be commercially sensitive if there isn't a rival tram!

Never mind another x amount of hundreds of millions on a 2.5 miles max tram extention. Fix the poor condition of the city roads. Probably the worst in the UK.

luckyBatistuta

The seethe thread should have a daily mention of this embarrassment. City centre sitting gridlocked whilst we sit waiting and waiting on the dozen folk slowly passing by.

The Real Maroonblood
57 minutes ago, John Findlay said:

Never mind another x amount of hundreds of millions on a 2.5 miles max tram extention. Fix the poor condition of the city roads. Probably the worst in the UK.

The roads and road works must be the worst Edinburgh has had.

luckyBatistuta
1 hour ago, John Findlay said:

4 minutes ago, The Real Maroonblood said:

The roads and road works must be the worst Edinburgh has had.

Never seen so many roadworks in my life, yet they seem to get worse by the day.

King Of The Cat Cafe
2 hours ago, luckyBatistuta said:

The seethe thread should have a daily mention of this embarrassment. City centre sitting gridlocked whilst we sit waiting and waiting on the dozen folk slowly passing by.

I would have loved an empty tram after the Partick game.

First at Murrayfield was too full to get on, and the next only just managed to get on.

They also need to increase the frequency when they know there is a game finishing at Tynecastle on a Saturday afternoon.

PS:. I also hate the new advertising on the outside of the trams.

Edited by King Of The Cat Cafe

luckyBatistuta
11 minutes ago, King Of The Cat Cafe said:

First at Murrayfield was too full to get on, and the next only just managed to get on.

They also need to increase the frequency when they know there is a game finishing at Tynecastle on a Saturday afternoon.

It is rammed on certain occasions, but nowhere near enough to justify the exorbitant price tag.

luckyBatistuta
57 minutes ago, Dunks said:

I like them :)

Each to their own ;)

50 minutes ago, pablo said:

Love the tram. Really hope we extend all over the city area

Love...wtf!!!:rolleyes2:

Original plan: 3-line network covering almost all major areas of the city. Total cost: £350million.

Business case: 50,000 new homes to be built at Newhaven and along the shoreline.

2008 crash wiped out the Newhaven and shoreline developments, which led to the cancellation of the line serving them. Business case a wreck.

Council bashes on anyways.

End result: 1/2 of one line, £1billion cost, city laden with 400million of debt, being paid back over 30 years whilst leisure centres, community centres, public toilets, libraries, bin collections and other services are cut every year.

There should be jail time over this scandal.

...a bit disco
14 hours ago, King Of The Cat Cafe said:

:lol:

My nephew is responsible for that!

Edited by ...a bit disco

The Real Maroonblood
2 hours ago, Geoff the Mince said:

Everyone who thought this farce was a good idea needs flogged in public. 

There will probably be an inquiry into the inquiry to find out why the inquiry is costing so much.

23 minutes ago, The Real Maroonblood said:

There will probably be an inquiry into the inquiry to find out why the inquiry is costing so much.

Which will cost more than the original inquiry.

Trams are amazing, any decent city should and does have a tram network.

Edinburgh's needs expanded and quickly.

The Real Maroonblood
22 minutes ago, cheetah said:

:laugh::laugh:

Heartsmad1874
1 hour ago, cheetah said:

:stupid_post:

Everyone involved in agreeing to the tram project on the first place or overseeing the project itself should be executed. 

Then their assets should be sold with money raised going to offset cuts in public spending made as a result of the tram overspend.

Anything less is a whitewash. 

Edited by skinnybob72

Seymour M Hersh
7 hours ago, Cade said:

Original plan: 3-line network covering almost all major areas of the city. Total cost: £350million.

Business case: 50,000 new homes to be built at Newhaven and along the shoreline.

2008 crash wiped out the Newhaven and shoreline developments, which led to the cancellation of the line serving them. Business case a wreck.

End result: 1/2 of one line, £1billion cost, city laden with 400million of debt, being paid back over 30 years whilst leisure centres, community centres, public toilets, libraries, bin collections and other services are cut every year.

Absolutely correct! But we all know that once the "Inquiry" decides (as per the Holyrood Inquiry) that as no one person is to blame we'll just move on to the next massive waste of taxpayers money and we'll still not give the plebs a referendum! 

Geoff the Mince
3 hours ago, skinnybob72 said:

Everyone involved in agreeing to the tram project on the first place or overseeing the project itself should be executed. 

Then their assets should be sold with money raised going to offset cuts in public spending made as a result of the tram overspend.

Anything less is a whitewash. 

I concur .

8 hours ago, Cade said:

The £350m was the very earliest cost projection, and was for one line and a spur from Haymarket to Granton.

The line to the new Royal was to be funded by the congestion charge that was voted out.

The final cost was way over budget at £776 million (and the enquiry into that is ongoing) not £1billion / £1.2 billion / make up number you overheard from a bloke in the pub billion.

Edited by FWJ

On 11/23/2017 at 13:55, The Real Maroonblood said:

Inquiry over £7m so far:laugh:

So how is that 7million spent, obviously someone or persons scoring out of this, hope their tax code is adjusted .

Certainly quick enough on taxing me on every penny i toil to earn.

34 minutes ago, Harry Potter said:

So how is that 7million spent, obviously someone or persons scoring out of this, hope their tax code is adjusted .

The only people making money are the Lawyers.

The Real Maroonblood
34 minutes ago, Harry Potter said:

No doubt there will be a few who are scoring out of this .

22 minutes ago, frankblack said:

The only people making money are the Lawyers.

So the people actually conducting the enquiry are doing it for nothing Frank, rather

doubt that, but you are correct on the lawyers, money for nothing:mellow:.

1 hour ago, Harry Potter said:

So the people actually conducting the enquiry are doing it for nothing Frank, rather

doubt that, but you are correct on the lawyers, money for nothing:mellow:.

At the end of the day nothing will be learned from the enquiry and nobody will be held accountable.

Lawyers, judges, and whoever else is working on this will milk it for all they can.

47 minutes ago, frankblack said:

At the end of the day nothing will be learned from the enquiry and nobody will be held accountable.

Lawyers, judges, and whoever else is working on this will milk it for all they can.

Correct Frank.

• 3 weeks later...

THE final true cost of the tram project will be over £1 billion, the inquiry into the troubled project has been told.

Inquiry counsel Euan Mackenzie QC said on top of the official £776m price for the scheme, there had been £44m tram-related spending by the council or the Scottish Government and there would be interest payments on borrowing over 30 years totalling £182.5m.

Mr Mackenzie said: “If these are added together, one comes to over £1 billion, which from a lay perspective may be said to be the true cost of the tram project.”

Justified ? Not for me ,the interest charges alone are incredible . CEC must be at its worst ever financial position and a lot of it is self inflicted . 

Seymour M Hersh
13 minutes ago, 3fingersreid said:

THE final true cost of the tram project will be over £1 billion, the inquiry into the troubled project has been told.

Inquiry counsel Euan Mackenzie QC said on top of the official £776m price for the scheme, there had been £44m tram-related spending by the council or the Scottish Government and there would be interest payments on borrowing over 30 years totalling £182.5m.

Mr Mackenzie said: “If these are added together, one comes to over £1 billion, which from a lay perspective may be said to be the true cost of the tram project.”

Justified ? Not for me ,the interest charges alone are incredible . CEC must be at its worst ever financial position and a lot of it is self inflicted . 

I wonder how Experian came up with a figure of £1.6billion in 2012? What else did they include that the Council have omitted?

Edited by Seymour M Hersh

What other infrastructure project includes the interest payments in the final cost?

I bought my flat for £80k - and I say the flat cost £80k.  I don’t include the interest payments and say my flat cost £105k.  And I have yet to meet anyone that does.

9 minutes ago, FWJ said:

What other infrastructure project includes the interest payments in the final cost?

I bought my flat for £80k - and I say the flat cost £80k.  I don’t include the interest payments and say my flat cost £105k.  And I have yet to meet anyone that does.

I think they include running costs too. Should be a straight split between capital and revenue.

The Real Maroonblood
3 hours ago, 3fingersreid said:

An absolute disgrace for a white elephant.

The muppets involved should hang their heads in shame.

Space Mackerel

Do you remember that baldy headed Labour guy who was put in charge of this fiasco for a while (name forgets me) but he had a degree......in Social Work. 

2 hours ago, FWJ said:

As far as running costs go, it’s operating at a profit isn’t it?

Not sure. Some like to throw in running costs to make the number sound bigger and badder though.

• 1 year later...
The Real Maroonblood
1 minute ago, jb102 said:

Edinburgh tram extension cost soars to £207m

Here we go again.

What a surprise for this white elephant.

Seymour M Hersh
5 minutes ago, 3fingersreid said:

What would that take the cost to build to if completed ? 

We'll never be told the true cost. 

The Real Maroonblood
7 minutes ago, 3fingersreid said:

What would that take the cost to build to if completed ? 

Probably about £1.5 Billion at least.

Councillor Cammy Day thinks people from Newhaven will use it to get to the airport - well they better pack a piece and a flask as it will take forever to get there by vanity tram.

10 minutes ago, Stuart Lyon said:

Councillor Cammy Day thinks people from Newhaven will use it to get to the airport - well they better pack a piece and a flask as it will take forever to get there by vanity tram.

Not once Phase III is built :D