Edinburgh Trams Farce Continues

Ribble

Tiberius Stinkfinger

Maybe it is closer than I think. There is practically no walk with the bus though. It is also quicker and cheaper.

Its not close at all.

I use the bus on match days and if its cheaper and quicker then its pretty much a no brainer. I travel with the Mrs so it costs me ?12 return to Haymarket on the Bus, sure I read its going to cost me ?15 on the tram and will be slower.

For the money spent the should have taken the thing inside the terminal and then I'm sure it would have been much more profitable.

I will try it once I suppose !

All roads lead to Gorgie

Latest brainwave in an effort to appease the Shandwick Place 'traders' is to re-name the Shandwick Place tram stop 'Prices Street/West End' to confuse tourists into getting off the tram early and go to Boots, RS McColl or the Fantasy Palace instead of Jenners and Debenhams!

Was there not only to be one stop on Princes st near the Mound anyway.

Its not close at all.

I use the bus on match days and if its cheaper and quicker then its pretty much a no brainer. I travel with the Mrs so it costs me ?12 return to Haymarket on the Bus, sure I read its going to cost me ?15 on the tram and will be slower.

For the money spent the should have taken the thing inside the terminal and then I'm sure it would have been much more profitable.

I thought the station at the airport was beside the taxi rank. So it can't be that far from the terminal, and the terminal is being extended and the extension/alterations will mean the tram stop will be nearer the front door.

Price is being reported as ?7.50 airport return, or add 50p and get full day bus pass as well.

You are supposing that the bus fare will not increase between now and the trams running.

I would have thought that the tram to Haymarket, which is mostly off-road will be no slower than the bus for that leg of the journey. If going to Tynecastle you will also have the option of getting off at Murrayfield.

Guest Bilel Mohsni

Its not close at all.

How is it costing you ?12 return from the airport to Haymarket? A day ticket is ?3.50 each for the bus. It should only cost you ?7.

How is it costing you ?12 return from the airport to Haymarket? A day ticket is ?3.50 each for the bus. It should only cost you ?7.

Airport bus is more expensive.

As is the airport tram.

As is an airport taxi.

As are most things at the airport.

If you board an airport bus at the airport its pricier than boarding it elsewhere in town. As is boarding anywhere in town and say you are going to the airport.

There's a Lothian bus that goes to the airport though... 35 I think?

Aye and it only takes around 2 hours to get to the airport in rush hour! Goes from Ocean Terminal, Easter Road, Abbeyhill, Royal Mile, Forrest Road, Fountain Bridge, Corn Exchange, Gorgie Road, Sighthill, The Gyle, Ingliston then the Airport!

Guest Bilel Mohsni

Aye and it only takes around 2 hours to get to the airport in rush hour! Goes from Ocean Terminal, Easter Road, Abbeyhill, Royal Mile, Forrest Road, Fountain Bridge, Corn Exchange, Gorgie Road, Sighthill, The Gyle, Ingliston then the Airport!

Aye, but if you jump off it once it leaves the airport and then jump on a bus to Haymarket? Does it no stop on a bus route to Haymarket?

All roads lead to Gorgie

Aye, but if you jump off it once it leaves the airport and then jump on a bus to Haymarket? Does it no stop on a bus route to Haymarket?

If it calls at the Gyle shopping centre then you can get a 12 to Haymarket.

You Edinburgh folk need to stop moaning. When finished you will have the best transport system in the country (especially with the airport link). In Inverness and the surrounding areas we have one bus company with pretty much a monopoly and a rail service that is woeful imo.

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk 4

The #100 Airlink bus service has a flat rate fare. ?3.50 single, ?6 return.

Only if you're going to or from the airport. If you're going from town to Maybury/Corstorphine etc. it only costs ?1.50.

You Edinburgh folk need to stop moaning. When finished you will have the best transport system in the country (especially with the airport link). In Inverness and the surrounding areas we have one bus company with pretty much a monopoly and a rail service that is woeful imo.

We already have one of the best transport systems in the country, serving both Edinburgh and the Lothians, spending over ?700 million pound on a tram that will only serve a very small percentage of this area, is hardly going to enhance it.

And in a nutshell you have hit on something which will make Edinburgh have a great system.

A publically owned bus service which will operate the Tram network aswell. If re-regulation happened, like Edinburgh you'd see a big improvement across the nation in public transport.

We already have the best transport system in Scotland. The best bus service in the UK. We don't need a billion ? tram system plus a decade of road works to replace the number 22!

We already have the best transport system in Scotland. The best bus service in the UK. We don't need a billion ? tram system plus a decade of road works to replace the number 22!

And a slower replacement to the 22 at that.

Just because we have the best doesn't mean we shouldn't make it better!

dobmisterdobster

How many other bus services have you used?

Just because we have the best doesn't mean we shouldn't make it better!

And how does introducing a one route, slower and more expensive tram service to the airport, that does not even go to the airport (or at least far short of it compared to the faster and cheaper bus), at a cost of nearly ?100 million, make it better?

And how does introducing a one route, slower and more expensive tram service to the airport, that does not even go to the airport (or at least far short of it compared to the faster and cheaper bus), at a cost of nearly ?100 million, make it better?

?1,000 million

Lothian buses has won best local bus service quite a few times in UK wide awards. Last time in 2011 I think

And you also got loads of decades-old utilities that needed replaced, replaced.

Why did they need replaced? And why at the public expense rather than their customers' expense? In addition the chaotic way it was all done will no doubt mean that they made a total mess of it anyway.

I see another useful idiot is asking for more.

http://www.scotsman.com/news/donald-mackay-driving-on-with-edinburgh-trams-1-3107516

Look at the map. it goes to the terminal. Plus the airport is being expanded starting this winter and will wrap around the tram stop. One line will lead to more. It has in every city in the UK where a tram has been built. Would you rather the council use the money to build homes for teen moms?

Look at the map. it goes to the terminal. Plus the airport is being expanded starting this winter and will wrap around the tram stop. One line will lead to more. It has in every city in the UK where a tram has been built. Would you rather the council use the money to build homes for teen moms?

The Council are currently cutting education spending to pay for their open ended tram line operating loss and financing cost.

It has been a deeply cynical pork barrel project all the way. Even in the death throes of the battle about the current half line the Council executives (the since left in odd circumstances Dave Anderson) interpreted a vote for stopping the half line at St Andrew Square as being a vote for York Place. The property developers of the St James Centre would no doubt approve.

Edited by Coco

The Real Maroonblood

I take it you are a teen Mum?

The Council are currently cutting education spending to pay for their open ended tram line operating loss and financing cost.

It has been a deeply cynical pork barrel project all the way. Even in the death throes of the battle about the current half line the Council executives (the since left in odd circumstances Dave Anderson) interpreted a vote for stopping the half line at St Andrew Square as being a vote for York Place. The property developers of the St James Centre would no doubt approve.

I don't really care about education funding. Every transport system in scotland is subsidized by taxes. Your arguments are invalid. It was extended to york place to allow easier extension to leith and for turn around.

I don't really care about education funding. Every transport system in scotland is subsidized by taxes. Your arguments are invalid. It was extended to york place to allow easier extension to leith and for turn around.

trainspotter.jpg

Why did they need replaced? And why at the public expense rather than their customers' expense? In addition the chaotic way it was all done will no doubt mean that they made a total mess of it anyway.

I see another useful idiot is asking for more.

http://www.scotsman.com/news/donald-mackay-driving-on-with-edinburgh-trams-1-3107516

"No doubt mean that they made a total mess of it anyway". Really?

About 4 or 5 in the UK.

Was more going by the countless awards they have received which they plaster on the back of their buses.

Yes.

If you are talking about last week's article, I believe its Children and Families as a whole, not just education.

If you are talking about last week's article, I believe its Children and Families as a whole, not just education.

Correct. There will have to be spending cuts all over the place to pay for the tram line.

Yes really. Did you not see the chaotic way that it was organised and carried out?

I think the organisation of it was poor and that has been the subject of much discussion but I have no idea about the quality of the work carried out and so I wouldn't like to speculate.

Very much this. I'm going to Manchester this weekend where the tram system is hugely popular and people are lobbying for extensions and new lines to go through their part of town. The Manc trams also reach well out into the suburbs - the equivalent here being trams to the like of Dalkeith and S Queensferry.

Lothian advertises its winning of Best Bus Service in the UK on its busses. Usually a crest at the drivers door side.

Are we ever, in this generation, going to be able to afford any new lines to the current line?

Dependent on profitability then I'd hope so. Dublin and Manchester are examples to follow.

Two new ones would be to Leith and a "Southern spur" I'd guess. Bringing in a congestion charge would help increase funds for public transport aswell.

Very much this. I'm going to Manchester this weekend where the tram system is hugely popular and people are lobbying for extensions and new lines to go through their part of town. The Manc trams also reach well out into the suburbs - the equivalent here being trams to the like of Dalkeith and S Queensferry.

If there was demand for regular public transport from these areas then I am fairly confident Lothian Buses would consider sending a service out there. If they don't already. Suggesting that a tramline from the city centre out to the sticks is even a viable option is laughable.

Templeton Peck

If there was demand for regular public transport from these areas then I am fairly confident Lothian Buses would consider sending a service out there. If they don't already. Suggesting that a tramline from the city centre out to the sticks is even a viable option is laughable.

Lothian Buses don't send a service out to South Queensferry. Despite folk asking for one, and them saying on their literature they serve the people of Edinburgh.