Edinburgh Trams Farce Continues

Ribble

Latest on the trams is that a new set of by-laws regarding travelling on the trams is about to be approved by the council.

There is to be a conductor and driver on each tram which wasn't part of the now long forgotten business plan where there were to be on street ticket machines with a number of conductors moving from tram to tram doing ticketing spot checks.

Now not only will the conductors be issuing tickets on the trams they will also have the powers to fine people up to ?1000 for infringement of the new rules of travel which will include

- Wearing an offensive t-shirt

- Wearing clothes that might make the tram dirty

- Your dog is too big

- Your luggage is too big (bearing in mind that they are running from the airport)

- Being drunk on a tram

Additionally you can almost guarantee the type of jobsworths that will get the conductor jobs and the trams will be a near riot every single day!

At least the type of tubes that work as traffic wardens will have competition as the most hated professional a***hole!

Latest on the trams is that a new set of by-laws regarding travelling on the trams is about to be approved by the council.

There is to be a conductor and driver on each tram which wasn't part of the now long forgotten business plan where there were to be on street ticket machines with a number of conductors moving from tram to tram doing ticketing spot checks.

Now not only will the conductors be issuing tickets on the trams they will also have the powers to fine people up to ?1000 for infringement of the new rules of travel which will include

- Your dog is too big

- Your luggage is too big (bearing in mind that they are running from the airport)

- Being drunk on a tram

Additionally you can almost guarantee the type of jobsworths that will get the conductor jobs and the trams will be a near riot every single day!

At least the type of tubes that work as traffic wardens will have competition as the most hated professional a***hole!

You are making a fair amount of assumptions there?

Are some of those rules not already in place?

I doubt very much anybody will be fined ?1000 for having a big dog or suitcase.

- Your dog is too big

- Being drunk on a tram

Daily Mail reader?

- Your dog is too big

- Being drunk on a tram

Quite right. Fully behind all of these.

Only assumption was regarding the type of person that will be working as conductors!

The by-laws are tram specific so em no they aren't already in place.

The conductors can charge you with the offence and if found guilty then the punishments range from being thrown off, banned from the trams (which bizarrely includes standing at a tram stop), a fine up to ?1000 or in the case of not having a ticket you can be done under light rail legislation which can carry up to 3 months in jail!

http://www.scotsman....rules-1-2645972

Edited by Ribble

Only assumption was regarding the type of person that will be working as conductors!

The by-laws are tram specific so em no they aren't already in place.

The conductors can charge you with the offence and if found guilty then the punishments range from being thrown off, banned from the trams (which bizarrely includes standing at a tram stop), a fine up to ?1000 or in the case of not having a ticket you can be done under light rail legislation which can carry up to 3 months in jail!

http://www.scotsman....rules-1-2645972

A fine up to ?1000.

So you are telling me that you don't get fined for having a big suitcase or a Justin Beiber T-shirt after all?

I can totally see what he's getting at. Not the fines and everything as all that stuff won't be enforced at all but considering the staff they currently employ now, bringing in more people they consider job worthy is a worry.

Then giving these people power...

Seems a complete waste. Will each tram really have its own conductor? Seems pointless, and to be honest, an unbelievably boring and shit job.

Thank feck I have avoided Edinburgh for the last few years. Each time I come home its in more off a state than the last time.

Offensive T shirt?

Surely very subjective? I'm wearing a Butthole Surfers T shirt to work today, nobody seems offended, but I dare say some people would be. Best not get on a tram with a churchgoing conductor.

Chaka Demus & pliers

Anyone know what the equivalent by-laws are for buses - assuming there are some, of course?

Probably pretty similar but it's trams that really get folk with nothing better to worry about really angry and I wouldn't be expecting the EEN to be reporting them any time soon.

Offensive T shirt?

Surely very subjective? I'm wearing a Butthole Surfers T shirt to work today, nobody seems offended, but I dare say some people would be. Best not get on a tram with a churchgoing conductor.

Oh I don't know. That could be tantamount to a come on...

It's not really that big a surprise that they're going to be having conductors is it?

It's completely different from what they had claimed previously, and another nail in the coffin for the (already totally discredited) business case they are still desperately clinging to.

It's completely different from what they had claimed previously, and another nail in the coffin for the (already totally discredited) business case they are still desperately clinging to.

Exactly the original business case was struggling to get close to break even, the news that yet another load of people are being employed to do the jobs of ticket machines that were in the business plan (machines that were installed then removed), takes this farce even further from breaking even.

Unless each conductor is given a target of 25 x ?1k fines a year just to pay their wages that is!

Most of it sounds like hashed up railway bylaws. How can anyone have a problem with that? If you use a tram then buy a ticket, don't try and take something that resembles the size of a shipping container with you, leave your st Bernard and pony at home, and don't act like a dickhead. Do all of those simple things and all will be good.

Take a step back and stop moaning, these "extra" bodies" on the trams are extra jobs for people ffs

Fair enough, I genuinely can't understand why you'd basically trust people to get tickets when they could potentially be getting on for free (which is basically what using just ticket machines would entail)

It's more jobs at a time when they're not exactly plentiful so its all fine by me.

Exactly the original business case was struggling to get close to break even, the news that yet another load of people are being employed to do the jobs of ticket machines that were in the business plan (machines that were installed then removed), takes this farce even further from breaking even.

Unless each conductor is given a target of 25 x ?1k fines a year just to pay their wages that is!

There is no intention or expectation of breaking even.

The various fantasy world business cases have all been ludicrously overoptimistic and written solely to provide 'professional' legitimacy for this pathetic corporatist political project.

One billion pounds to construct and finance plus operating losses in the tens of millions per year not including funding for future tram replacements etc. For an on-street train line which has caused years of congestion creation already and will cause more congestion if it actually is allowed to start operating. Sickening waste.

There is no intention or expectation of breaking even.

The various fantasy world business cases have all been ludicrously overoptimistic and written solely to provide 'professional' legitimacy for this pathetic corporatist political project.

One billion pounds to construct and finance plus operating losses in the tens of millions per year not including funding for future tram replacements etc. For an on-street train line which has caused years of congestion creation already and will cause more congestion if it actually is allowed to start operating. Sickening waste.

Pretty much sums it up. :thumb:

Gregory House M.D.

Still.. though.... They'll look nice... Tourists will like 'em, eh?

Nice Trams/cable cars:

800px-san_francisco_cable_car_on_pine_street.jpg

Horrific, slow, congestion building, street trains:

220px-Edinburgh_tram_02.jpg

Edited by Kyle Falconer

Hells' bells, Hughesie! How are folk supposed to whip themselves up into a lather if they don't immediately believe everything they're told then add imaginary bits on themselves? Its what made this country great!

Personally I don't think there are enough by-laws being introduced.

Travel should be denied for

*All under 18s in possession of a mobile phone.

*Anyone who's body odour is so bad it can be smelt through their jacket

*People with tickly coughs

*Grown men in shorts

*Women with 4 or more children which they appear to despise

Also conductors should be allowed to forcibly remove and execute anyone guilty of failing to cover up their sneeze properly so that it can be felt on the back of the head of the person sitting in front.

Anyone wearing a H1b5 top should be served with lifetime bans. Mind you they are also likely to be the ones who have 3 kids with them and a particularly annoying ringtone and ought be at school instead of skiving off.

Stuart McNeill

Trams can get to ****!

Biggest waste of money we've ever spent!

The thing that annoys me is - my uncle who works on the council part of the project said there isn't going to be a stop near me, it'll be for posh, suit wearing workers on them..

*Grown men in shorts

Also conductors should be allowed to forcibly remove and execute anyone guilty of failing to cover up their sneeze properly so that it can be felt on the back of the head of the person sitting in front.

Agree with all in points in bold.

For an on-street train line which has caused years of congestion creation already and will cause more congestion if it actually is allowed to start operating. Sickening waste.

Now, you don't know that for sure, do you?

Utterly amazed that the cycle lane on Princes Street runs between the tram lines.

Shortly after the sign warning cyclists tramlines are dangerous to bikes.

Now, you don't know that for sure, do you?

I don't know that it has caused congestion? Surely that is FACT now?!

Or that it will cause congestion? Look at everywhere the traffic and pedestrians will have to stop to allow the train to go past!

Edited by Coco

it'll be for posh, suit wearing workers on them..

I for one am glad my suit will be kept to its usual pristine standard.

Edited by JamboBrechin

This would be next to impossible to enforce and would ultimately get challenged under the HRA.

Hibs strip?

Sheriff Fatman
Look at everywhere the traffic and pedestrians will have to stop to allow the train to go past!

You mean like traffic lights do now for cars, wow that will add so much more congestion.

Radioactive Mince

You mean like traffic lights do now for cars, wow that will add so much more congestion.

If it's gonna be anything like waiting for a train to pass by at a level crossing, it sure will. If it's more akin to simply waiting at a traffic light, then there are gonna be a few car-tram collisions. Edinburgh drivers are 'tarded enough already (probably Fifers commuting to be fair eh).

Edited by Radioactive Mince

*Grown men in shorts

Agree with all of this, except the shorts, but I'm in Sydney. Couldn't imagine shorts in Edinburgh. ( folks with sandals and socks should be on that list) too.

DOGS!! - where in the world are dogs of any size, apart from guide dugs, allowed on buses, trains and trams?

Fair enough, I genuinely can't understand why you'd basically trust people to get tickets when they could potentially be getting on for free (which is basically what using just ticket machines would entail)

It's more jobs at a time when they're not exactly plentiful so its all fine by me.

you keep the machines but instead have plain clothes ticket checkers. at the start they hammer all non payers and make it known this will happen / publicise anybody caught then folk will be shitting it and hence always buy a ticket. Ongoing spot checks will keep folk in line.