Alan Maybury....

Guest GhostHunter

Guest GhostHunter

IS training with us, and has been since the tail end of last week.

Question is...

Robbie or Maybury ? :ninja:

Could Maybury be the NEW Stewart ?

:confused:

• Replies 141
  • Created
  • Last Reply
We_are_the_Hearts

Question is...

Maybury did well first time around unlike Stewart. When playing right back for us he forced his way into the ROI team when they were doing really well. Hopefully he retains his ability:)

Could be a really good signing, IMO. I reckon we've needed an more experienced head (that isn't Neilson) in defence ever since Elvis left...

Guest GhostHunter
Backwards step if we take him on.

I'd rather give a youngster a chance to be honest.

Not so sure...

I wasn't a huge fan of his the last time around - but then I wasn't of Mikey either.

It's strange though - Robbie plays a half decent game on Saturday (give or take the odd stray pass) - is he worried about his starting position :ninja:

I'd take Maybury over Robbie tbh - but that's not really saying much.

Marooned In Oz

I wasn't a huge fan of his the last time around - but then I wasn't of Mikey either.

May I ask why?

He is the best right back we've had in years. I'd take him back in a shot

Question is...

On recent performances Neilson can count himself fortunate that Karapidis is needed at centre half otherwise I think Robbie would have been out of the team.

I would take Maybury back if thats the kind of reaction it has on Robbie as he was outstanding on Saturday.

Maybs is no world beater, but he's better than either of our current full backs.

And if the SFA thought our discipline was bad before... :dribble:

The Mighty Thor
Not so sure...

It's strange though - Robbie plays a half decent game on Saturday (give or take the odd stray pass) - is he worried about his starting position :ninja:

I'd take Maybury over Robbie tbh - but that's not really saying much.

Now is not the time to be bringing back players that weren't really that good the first time around. it smacks of desperation to me.

I don't think Maybury would add anything to Hearts except another big chunk onto the wage bill. A big time charlie that went to leicester and has been released by them. Why? they want him off the wage bill. nuff said.

Guest GhostHunter
Now is not the time to be bringing back players that weren't really that good the first time around. it smacks of desperation to me.

I don't think Maybury would add anything to Hearts except another big chunk onto the wage bill. A big time charlie that went to leicester and has been released by them. Why? they want him off the wage bill. nuff said.

Pretty much - however, he probably IS better than Robbie.

:ninja:

Agree.

Would like to see a better player than Maybury come in as competition for the right back position.

Interesting perceptions of Mayburys previous spell with the club.

What I remember is a guy who looked the business at right back who ended up playing left back simply because he was better than the natural left backs of the time.

Never quite captured the same form on the left for me.

Drylaw Hearts

This is a tricky one.

I wasn't a big fan of Maybury when he first arrived.

It took around 18 months or so before he seemed to finally settle in. But he did then go on and become a very steady player, it was unfortunate that Mahe got injured and he then had to switch to LB.

But he left us a better player than Robbie was/is and unless he's lost this ability then he would probably do a job until the end of the Season.

If he is all that is available to us at the moment then I'd take him.

It's not what we think that matters though.Robbie has been ever present for Hearts this season and shows no signs of being dropped.Like it or not the management whoever it is that has been in charge like Robbie so if anything i would think signing Maybury would only be as back up for Robbie and what has he done since leaving Hearts to suggest he is better anyway.

What he will bring is some experience, something we're severely lacking at hearts..... Robbie has experience but not great experience as he's only ever been at hearts and the blue brazil (think he went their on loan).

Question is...

He will be better than the OLD Neilson!!

Robbie managed to keep out of bother on Saturday as Hibs offered no threat coming down our right. However watching Neilson on Saturday it was frightning the amount of times he wanders out of position and leaves us exposed.

And yes - I know Goncalves had a mare of a game and if a replacement LB can be brought in - great!

However first things first - replacement for Neilson PLEASE!

Horatio Caine
What he will bring is some experience, something we're severely lacking at hearts..... Robbie has experience but not great experience as he's only ever been at hearts and the blue brazil (think he went their on loan).[/QUOTE]

Was it not Q o S?

cobbyshambles
Is Maybury not just training with us as he has a house in Edinburgh and he is keeping himself fit in the interim?

just like beckham training with arsenal.

Is Maybury not just training with us as he has a house in Edinburgh and he is keeping himself fit in the interim?

Could be, think his Mrs is from here isnt she.

What he will bring is some experience' date=' something we're severely lacking at hearts..... Robbie has experience but not great experience as he's only ever been at hearts [b']and the blue brazil (think he went their on loan).[/[/b]QUOTE]

Was it not Q o S?

Yeah it was QOTS

(Queen of the South, not Queens of the Stoneage :confused:)

Do not see the point in signing Maybury.It seems that even Levein doesn't want him.He had a terrible start to his Hearts career although he was far better the last couple of seasons when he was at leftback.

I liked Maybury first time round, not seen him play for a few years though...a decent squad player if nothing else I'd say

Would be a good addition to the squad.

Experience and leadership - two qualities very much lacking.

He'd practically be better at left back than what we've currently got nevermind right back

Do not see the point in signing Maybury.It seems that even Levein doesn't want him.He had a terrible start to his Hearts career although he was far better the last couple of seasons when he was at leftback.

Spot on.

You've got that the wrong way round IMO.

Maybury had a slow start, then started putting in some great performances at Right Back. Bombing down the wing, putting in some cracking crosses and shots, fundementally because he is RIGHT footed.

It was only when Levein played him out of position at left back (to accomodate Robbie!) did he become ineffective - he could no longer whip in a cross and had to cut inside on to his right foot. Also when he was defending, he struggled when a winger run at him down the touchline on his weaker left side.

Maybury had a slow start, then started putting in some great performances at Right Back. Bombing down the wing, putting in some cracking crosses and shots, fundementally because he is RIGHT footed.

It was only when Levein played him out of position at left back (to accomodate Robbie!) did he become ineffective - he could no longer whip in a cross and had to cut inside on to his right foot. Also when he was defending, he struggled when a winger run at him down the touchline on his weaker left side.

Don't let the facts get in the way of some CL bashing eh Lambo? Levein had signed the very competent but frequently injured Stephane Mahe to play left back, our only other option to play left back due to not having two beans to rub together, was Austin McCann, who in all honesty, was very much worth the ?50,000 we paid for him.

That meant our best option was to play Maybury at left back, where he had some good performances, especially as it is more difficult to constantly run the ball out of play (as he did regularly playing right back) when you have to turn in field on to your stronger foot. Given our defensive record under CL was always excellent, I'll trust yet again in Craig's consistently excellent judgement as Hearts manager.

What we need is the return of Craig Levein, not Alan Maybury. Maybe he'll be able to bring back some of the exciting football he has Dundee United playing, just like he had with Hearts before the before the budget cuts began to bite when we had games like Dunfermline 7-1, Hibs 5-1, Motherwell 4-2, Hibs 4-4... I could go on. It would also stop his Dundee United team walloping us so much, I mean what is it, 11-2 for them against us in their last 3 games!

Don't let the facts get in the way of some CL bashing eh Lambo? Levein had signed the very competent but frequently injured Stephane Mahe to play left back, our only other option to play left back due to not having two beans to rub together, was Austin McCann, who in all honesty, was very much worth the ?50,000 we paid for him.

That meant our best option was to play Maybury at left back, where he had some good performances, especially as it is more difficult to constantly run the ball out of play (as he did regularly playing right back) when you have to turn in field on to your stronger foot. Given our defensive record under CL was always excellent, I'll trust yet again in Craig's consistently excellent judgement as Hearts manager.

What we need is the return of Craig Levein, not Alan Maybury. Maybe he'll be able to bring back some of the exciting football he has Dundee United playing, just like he had with Hearts before the before the budget cuts began to bite when we had games like Dunfermline 7-1, Hibs 5-1, Motherwell 4-2, Hibs 4-4... I could go on. It would also stop his Dundee United team walloping us so much, I mean what is it, 11-2 for them against us in their last 3 games!

Yep that just about covers this type of game - I on the other hand remember standing in the wet and cold watching Levein grinding towards 0 - 0 draws at Dunfermline, ICT, St Mirren....I could go on!

The debate here was not actually about CL. IMO Maybury played really well at Right Back and struggled at Left Back simply because he was very right footed.

Yep that just about covers this type of game - I on the other hand remember standing in the wet and cold watching Levein grinding towards 0 - 0 draws at Dunfermline, ICT, St Mirren....I could go on!

The debate here was not actually about CL. IMO Maybury played really well at Right Back and struggled at Left Back simply because he was very right footed.

Don't forget 3-1 and 2-2 V Braga, 2-1 away to Hibs, A 4-2 defeat away to Celtic, 3-3 away to Kilmarnock, many many other high quality, high scoring, entertaining games that the Craig's excellent management allowed us to enjoy. I took the liberty of counting the 0-0 draw's for you Lambo in competitive league matches in Craig's three full seasons...

2001/2 - None - 3rd top scorers in the league

2002/3 - One (Aberdeen at home 09/11/2002) - 3rd top scorers in the league.

2003/4 - Two (Motherwell at home 27/12/2003) (Dunfermline Away 28/02/2004) - 3rd top scorers in the league

....and guess what, we never drew 0-0 with either ICT or St Mirren in Craig's full seasons in charge.....and I'd like to know what you make of the fact that CL's Dundee United teams have walloped us 11-2 in their last three games against us?

Back on the subject of Maybury, average IMHO, a bit on the small side for a full back, not a great crosser of the ball, tendancy to run the ball out of play, quicker than Robbie but in all honesty not that much better if at all. Although CL's did get some very good performances out of him, as he did most of the players he signed!

Hope he signs.

no no no no no no....promote someone from the reserves/u19s but don't go backwards.....Maybury was no more than average first time round and he's gone backwards :)

no no no no no no....promote someone from the reserves/u19s but don't go backwards.....Maybury was no more than average first time round and he's gone backwards :)

I agree but still have a problem with the fact we have NO ONE! at the club with experience to bring these kids through. Fysass done that before Pressley dine that before Hartley done that before, now we have no one with the experience to guide the youngsters through, thats a major problem.

If we bring in some one with experience it has to be some one the coaches trust, ie not another Janny.

I wouldn't mind seeing Jason Thomson coming through the ranks, but I think there's more chance of him being released than getting a game for Hearts IMO. If he was going to break through he would have done it a while back.

As for Maybury, he was one of my favourite players so I wouldn't mind seeing him back. We all have our opinions on him.

Don't forget 3-1 and 2-2 V Braga, 2-1 away to Hibs, A 4-2 defeat away to Celtic, 3-3 away to Kilmarnock, many many other high quality, high scoring, entertaining games that the Craig's excellent management allowed us to enjoy. I took the liberty of counting the 0-0 draw's for you Lambo in competitive league matches in Craig's three full seasons...

2001/2 - None - 3rd top scorers in the league

2002/3 - One (Aberdeen at home 09/11/2002) - 3rd top scorers in the league.

2003/4 - Two (Motherwell at home 27/12/2003) (Dunfermline Away 28/02/2004) - 3rd top scorers in the league

....and guess what, we never drew 0-0 with either ICT or St Mirren in Craig's full seasons in charge.....and I'd like to know what you make of the fact that CL's Dundee United teams have walloped us 11-2 in their last three games against us?

Back on the subject of Maybury, average IMHO, a bit on the small side for a full back, not a great crosser of the ball, tendancy to run the ball out of play, quicker than Robbie but in all honesty not that much better if at all. Although CL's did get some very good performances out of him, as he did most of the players he signed!

Do you have a framed photo of Craig at your bedside? ;)

Do you have a framed photo of Craig at your bedside? ;)

Nope but thanks on giving up on trying to argue back :)

I believe there may still be a poster of CL in a drawer somewhere in my old bedroom back at my folks house :dribble: But then used to collect all of the posters from the match day programs.

I sat in section T Lower when Maybury was rightback.Trust me he was murder up until he scored a great last minute winner against Partick.That game gave him some confidence but until then he was the player everbody didn't rate.His mistakes cost us a few goals against Hibs in both positions.I'm pretty certain his Republic debut was at leftback as well.I also blame him for our defeat against Motherwell in the cup semi.If he stayed then McAllister would not have played leftback.:)

Liked him first time round, only problem I have was that he was qucik to leave when the opportunity came around. We saved his career by taking a chance on him and he pi**ed off at the first opportunity.

Not many players have had successful returns to the club they used to play for. Saying that he would be a decent squad player and he can play left or right.

Mr Romanov Saviour of HMFC

I really liked Maybury the first time round.

Hard as nails!

Will be delighted if he signs.

Undecided on whether I'd take him back. I can't see him being a step forward from what we've got so there might be no point, although it'd be good to have an experienced right back (not Karipidis or Tall cos both are CBs rather than RB) to give Robbie a run for his money.

Drylaw Hearts
I sat in section T Lower when Maybury was rightback.Trust me he was murder up until he scored a great last minute winner against Partick.That game gave him some confidence but until then he was the player everbody didn't rate.His mistakes cost us a few goals against Hibs in both positions.I'm pretty certain his Republic debut was at leftback as well.I also blame him for our defeat against Motherwell in the cup semi.If he stayed then McAllister would not have played leftback. :)

I shiver everytime someone mentions that.

Oh my god! If Maybury is the class of player we are looking to sign that is awful, yes for a left footer playing right back he was good, but that was years ago, cant get a game for Leicester should not get a game for us, ROBBIE MUST STAY ROBBIE MUST STAY !!!!!!!

Archived