Worrying statistic

gashauskis9

Was just thinking last night about our issues with regards to strikers and dependance on goals from defence and midfield.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but it scares the life out of me that the last goal a recognised striker (not Rudi, Temps, Driver or makeshift strikers like Stevenson and Paterson) scored for us in open play in a league match was Gary Glen against Dunfermline last season at EEP. The last home SPL goal a striker scored from open play was Beattie against Hibs the month before.

Am I the only person who finds this laughable for a club of our size and stature? Have we just given up on developing strikers at youth level? I reckon our number 9 jersey is cursed TBH.

When was the last time a recognised striker scored for Barcelona?

Our issue is not scoring enough, not who is scoring them...as that part doesn't matter/

Our issue is not scoring enough, not who is scoring them...as that part doesn't matter/

Not a great comparison as the Barcelona side is full of players who all score goals.

Hearts on the other hand....

Not a great comparison as the Barcelona side is full of players who all score goals.

Agree. Barcalona should be nowhere near this thread.

For debate purposes,however,Tello is a forward and scored on Saturday.

Charlie-Brown

All goals count and are equally valid yes? Attacking fullbacks like Gareth Bale and before him Roberto Carlos scored a disproportiantely high number of goals from their defence/midfield postion, do you think their teams fans or manager gave a monkeys or were slightly concerned?

Was just thinking last night about our issues with regards to strikers and dependance on goals from defence and midfield.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but it scares the life out of me that the last goal a recognised striker (not Rudi, Temps, Driver or makeshift strikers like Stevenson and Paterson) scored for us in open play in a league match was Gary Glen against Dunfermline last season at EEP. The last home SPL goal a striker scored from open play was Beattie against Hibs the month before.

Am I the only person who finds this laughable for a club of our size and stature? Have we just given up on developing strikers at youth level? I reckon our number 9 jersey is cursed TBH.

It's been like that most of the time since Mark De Vries left

Luckily all goals count the same

Which is what I said. Our issue is nobody is scoring goals. The focus of the op is wrongly placed though, it doesn't matter who scores the goals, as long as they are getting scored.

Agree. Barcalona should be nowhere near this thread.

For debate purposes,however,Tello is a forward and scored on Saturday.

He is as much a forward as Stevenson or Paterson (whom the OP quoted) and he was playing on the right wing in the game you are referring to.

Andy drivers who is supposed to be a forward scored his last goal for us in March 2010.

He scored against Hibs this season.

And he's a winger.

The OP is right and all sorts of nitpicking won't alter the fact - our record in producing strikers who score goals is pathetic.

Paterson is a forward.....so there's no debate....

He was scouted and came to the club as one. Some players are tried out in other areas in the infancy of their career.

The problem still remains, the likes of Sutton and Paterson are crying out for a quality foil to play off or a qual attacking mid. There's one training with us.

Near Post Zibby !

Strikers, especially young strikers need to get a consistent run of games to get their confifence, strength and touch good enough. There comes a point when they need to be given their chance. Half a season later can be too late - they will have gone off the boil or got too comfy playing at a lower level.

When was the last time we gave a young player the luxury of 10 games on the trot ? Probably Robbo or Scott Crabbe ! Smith got a few halfs here and there. Glen a few games now and then. Clum was in and out although at least we had the excuse of having Bednar, Pospisil, Jankauskais and Velicka to rotate him with. If the manager thinks a player has "got it" he has to have the gonads ( and the confidence in the security of his own job )to stick with the youngster. It's only that way that you will unearth and refine - dare I say it - a Riordan, Fletcher, or O'Conner. All better than we have produced in recent years.

I sometimes think big first team squads and big U19 squads are actually a hinderence to bringing on good young players.

He was scouted and came to the club as one. Some players are tried out in other areas in the infancy of their career.

The problem still remains, the likes of Sutton and Paterson are crying out for a quality foil to play off or a qual attacking mid. There's one training with us.

Sums it up for me, can have as many forwards as you like, if they dont get the service they dont score goals. Kevin Kyle is an example - JJ set up his team to supply Kyle - the end result was either a goal or mayhem in the box to allow someone else to score, wasn't pretty but pretty effective - when Kyle got injured we no longer had an effective system.

Yesterday, I couldn't quite believe Novi was going off when Sutton came on, finally we see a decent looking front two pairing - but the winger comes off - Taouil looked the right sub to me ?

Sums it up for me, can have as many forwards as you like, if they dont get the service they dont score goals. Kevin Kyle is an example - JJ set up his team to supply Kyle - the end result was either a goal or mayhem in the box to allow someone else to score, wasn't pretty but pretty effective - when Kyle got injured we no longer had an effective system.

Yesterday, I couldn't quite believe Novi was going off when Sutton came on, finally we see a decent looking front two pairing - but the winger comes off - Taouil looked the right sub to me ?

I agree with this statement although I was thinking stevenson should of made way, but had he kept novi on i think we would have scored more cross after cross would have eventually found sutts head for a goal

I agree with this statement although I was thinking stevenson should of made way, but had he kept novi on i think we would have scored more cross after cross would have eventually found sutts head for a goal

It was a toss up between the two of them who was coming off ( not that they played badly ).

Grumpy.

Novi would have made 2-0 more likely but Stevenson made 1-1 less likely

And in turn, i agree with that.

Paterson has superb movement.....its crying out for someone to see it and we really do lack someone with a good football brain , a quick thinker in the last third to knock balls through and see those runs he makes. Or a another forward he can play off a bit earlier.

The system JJ had with Kyle worked superbly most of the time but players knew their jobs. His team back then actually played decent football when everyone thought he played a long ball game. The diff was we had variety.

Kyle wasn`t just a head to knock on, we`d get it to him early and he`d bring it down and play in the wide men further up the park. We then had teams under pressure much quicker. But the widemen were well drilled and timed their support well.

When we played Elliot a bit wider right and Temps on the left, it was a good combination. Elliot would naturally tuck in beside Kyle when Temps was in possession to make a two through the middle.

Andy drivers who is supposed to be a forward scored his last goal for us in March 2010.

:rofl:

I am not his biggest fan, but he is not a forward and he has scored this season.

Dear oh dear :lol:

I know guys that know Calum Paterson and have played football with/against him and can confirm, there is no doubt he was a forward growing up.

Villa a couple of weeks ago

Surely we should be looking at the positive that goals are coming from all over the team;

Take the line-up from Sunday, here is the number of goals the players have scored this season;

MacDonald (0)

McGowan (0) Webster (0) Zaliukas (3) Grainger (2)

Driver (1) Barr (0) Taouil (0) Novikovas (2)

Stevenson (0)

Paterson (2)

All we're really missing is a few goals from the central midfielders. Stevenson has shown he can find the net previously so I wouldn't have any concerns that we won't be scoring any goals from this position, I'm hopeful the goals will come soon.

Prediction: Ryan Stevenson will score at least two goals in his next five games.

Did I dream that goal against Hibs this season?

Which is what I said. Our issue is nobody is scoring goals. The focus of the op is wrongly placed though, it doesn't matter who scores the goals, as long as they are getting scored.

Wrong.

I'm massively makes a difference when the team is set up and set out to feed attacking players.

If this isn't working and instead our goals will come from defenders - we should be playing to those strengths.

we dont, therefore we are relying on luck and good fortune to get any sort of goals, not creativity and skill to manufacture goals based on skill and deliberate actions of players.

this is a problem and we must be playing very inefficiently.

Nobody is arguing that all goals, irrespective of where they come from aren't welcome, but to not have strikers score, when that's what you are setting up to do is worrying and is a pretty clear indication that you either don't have the ability to cut it, or are setting things up wrong.

Players that train harder on striking, scoring and attacking are not doing that job.

No business would be happy to rely on others to do the job that some are brought in specifically to do.

We obviously lack goals but I think we should see more goals from the likes of Taouil, Robinson and Barr. Stevenson will be expected to score now too. Taouil nor Robinson have not been enough of a goal threat in their runs in midfield for my liking.

Strange thread and debate. We all know we have a serious lack of quality strikers. I don't see why anyone needs any stats to realise this.

Archived